Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome To The Washington Commanders Jahan Dotson WR Penn State

PCS

• 2 months later...

I haven't done this in awhile because A) life got busy and b) Dotson getting hurt for multiple weeks made this kind of boring/frustrating.  Regardless, here we are.

Dotson Week 15 Update.

Jahan Dotson - 23 catches for 338 yards, 6 TD's.

*Other receivers people wanted:

Chris Olave - 63 catches for 940 yards, 3 TD

Drake London - 54 catches for 603 yards, 4 TD

Garrett Wilson - 71 catches for 996 yards, 4 TD's

Treylon Burks - 25 catches for 359 yards, 1 TD

Jameson Williams - 1 Catch for 41 yards, 1 TD

So that's where we stand.  Dotson seems to have a nose for the end zone despite limited production.  He's played in 9/15 games but even if you standardized his stats for 15 games, he'd still be at just 38 for 564, though he'd in theory have 10 TD's, which would more than make up for the lack of yardage.  You'd have to do that for most of the receivers however as Garrett Wilson is the only one who has played in every game for his team this season.

Olave has clearly had a good rookie year.  I know that Andy Dalton and Jameis Winston aren't world beater QB's, but both of them have much better arms than Taylor Heinicke so he's benefitted from that at least.  Garret Wilson has absolutely made chicken salad out of chicken ****.  London has been serviceable with Mariota throwing to him.  Burks is in the same boat as Dotson, having missed several games due to injury, though he hasn't been able to find the end zone the same way.  Similar team situation too, run-run-run and pass occasionally.  Pretty sure Tannehill is a better QB than Heinicke, but essentially the same situation.  Williams has had a year to forget, though somehow his only catch this entire season has been a 41 yard TD.

I'm not unhappy with Dotson at all.  If even part of those projected full health stats were accurate and he was sitting on 8 TDs for the season, no one would be complaining.  It is tough watching two of his draft class WR's go over 1,000 yards and wishing he'd get more opportunities, but he's proven he can catch tough throws and play at this level, he just needs someone to throw to him consistently.  

Looking forward to his development.

Note*, I've only included receivers here that actively came up in the conversations about WR with our 1st round pick.  I'm aware players like George Pickens or the rookies in GB have also put up stats, but no one was talking about them at #11 or #16 at the time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I said at the time that I don't think the best way to evaluate Dotson is his individual #s but for the impact he makes on the offense as a whole. He opens up the passing game for everyone else by giving us another viable downfield threat opposite McLaurin. Just a shame we don't have a QB that can truly take advantage of that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

We’ve only played 14 games…

Probably doesn’t change his stats much, but just sayin’.

Yeah, you're right...I was starting at Garrett Wilson in the rookie list and he had already played the Thursday game when I was writing this.  Good catch.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Forehead said:

I haven't done this in awhile because A) life got busy and b) Dotson getting hurt for multiple weeks made this kind of boring/frustrating.  Regardless, here we are.

Dotson Week 15 Update.

Jahan Dotson - 23 catches for 338 yards, 6 TD's.

*Other receivers people wanted:

Chris Olave - 63 catches for 940 yards, 3 TD

Drake London - 54 catches for 603 yards, 4 TD

Garrett Wilson - 71 catches for 996 yards, 4 TD's

Treylon Burks - 25 catches for 359 yards, 1 TD

Jameson Williams - 1 Catch for 41 yards, 1 TD

So that's where we stand.  Dotson seems to have a nose for the end zone despite limited production.  He's played in 9/15 games but even if you standardized his stats for 15 games, he'd still be at just 38 for 564, though he'd in theory have 10 TD's, which would more than make up for the lack of yardage.  You'd have to do that for most of the receivers however as Garrett Wilson is the only one who has played in every game for his team this season.

Olave has clearly had a good rookie year.  I know that Andy Dalton and Jameis Winston aren't world beater QB's, but both of them have much better arms than Taylor Heinicke so he's benefitted from that at least.  Garret Wilson has absolutely made chicken salad out of chicken ****.  London has been serviceable with Mariota throwing to him.  Burks is in the same boat as Dotson, having missed several games due to injury, though he hasn't been able to find the end zone the same way.  Similar team situation too, run-run-run and pass occasionally.  Pretty sure Tannehill is a better QB than Heinicke, but essentially the same situation.  Williams has had a year to forget, though somehow his only catch this entire season has been a 41 yard TD.

I'm not unhappy with Dotson at all.  If even part of those projected full health stats were accurate and he was sitting on 8 TDs for the season, no one would be complaining.  It is tough watching two of his draft class WR's go over 1,000 yards and wishing he'd get more opportunities, but he's proven he can catch tough throws and play at this level, he just needs someone to throw to him consistently.  

Looking forward to his development.

Note*, I've only included receivers here that actively came up in the conversations about WR with our 1st round pick.  I'm aware players like George Pickens or the rookies in GB have also put up stats, but no one was talking about them at #11 or #16 at the time.

I don't know what you're trying to say. Dotson is silly good and we don't have a QB.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

I don't know what you're trying to say. Dotson is silly good and we don't have a QB.

That him being hurt and me not being able to add to his stats made this not as fun?  I'm not sure what's complicated about that.

If you're talking about the posts in general, I'm pro-Dotson and was showing that he was worth the pick even though many posters wanted a different receiver.  This was one of a few updates.

8 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Add an elite TE and this will be a great receiver core with Terry Mc, Dotson and Samuel.

Plenty of first rounders tank. I can’t see Dotson falling out of the league any time soon.

At worst Dotson will be a quality starting WR for the next 10 years or so. But I think people are underselling his upside. He is fast, has great hands, and runs precise routes. I see a lot of Steve Smith in him who ended up being a fringe Hall of Famer.

1 hour ago, skinsfan66 said:

Dotson has had multiple big drops this year at big times for someone who they bragged at about having freakie hands  

I can only recall yesterday's drop. His hands have been tremendous and he's also really good in the clutch. Caught the game winner against the Jags and the game tier against the Giants. 

The standards some of our fans have is just insane though. If Dotson isn't Jerry Rice and Chase Young isn't Reggie White they're busts I guess.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, lavar1156 said:

The first drop yesterday he was looking directly back into the sun. Could have been an issue.

He also had to make a ridiculous adjustment to the ball because it wasn’t where he expected it to be.  He stopped, changed directions, adjusted, fought off the defender, and then it looks like he lost the ball at the last second in the sun. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

I will be the first to admit I have to eat crow in this guy. He is freaking phenomenal. I am so happy we got him. Give me dotson over any of the other wrs in the draft. If we get a qb, he’s going to be unreal

You won’t be the first.

i wonder if the Almighty Thor will concede he was wrong, and because he was taken 6 spots lower than his big board said he should have been, it was a bad pick.  Almighty Thor is an analog for all the know-nothing draftniks who should be paying 40% of their salary to Mel Kiper’s hairdo. 

On 5/6/2022 at 9:42 AM, Skinsinparadise said:

Caught up with three interviews now from Dotson's WR coach.  Between that and watching Dotson on the Hey Rookie show, i got a really positive feeling about Dotson.

As I commented on the draft thread during my watches of the Hey Rookie show, Dotson came off as the dude that was the most impressive of those 5 players featured.  I said then his personality reminded me of Santana Moss.   I recall @KDawgsaying his play reminds him of Santana.  Looks like Cooley agrees.  I thought he reminded me some of Steve Smith which his Penn State Wr coach who played with Smith agreed with that comparison, ditto Rivera.  But yeah I can dig a combination of Santana and Steve Smith.  Not to put too much pressure on him. 😀

But the good vibes from me has a lot to do with his personality and how he's described by coaches.  He comes off very Terry like.  Uber professional, uber classy and polite -- wants to be great.  To me he exudes high intangibles quite like Terry. 

I had fun rereading the early part of this thread just now, a lot of angst by some about this pick.  Among others @KDawg did a really nice job defending the pick.

i was jazzed then.  But i am even more jazzed now.  Too bad, he missed those 5 games.  Otherwise, I think he'd have a good shot at rookie of the year.  I don't think its hyperbole to say he has a good shot to be Terry part 2.

Cooley actually thinks his potential is bigger than Terrys.  Stay healthy and i think this is the best duo of WRS we've had since Monk-Clark.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4
  • Thumb up 1