Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Commanders Schedule Info, Leaks, Mocks

kleese

My thoughts: 

I didn’t get anything correct on my mock schedule, but I DO think I earned some sort of partial credit—- I correctly had us playing Philly in week 3– but I had it as the away meeting and not at FedEx. I also had it on MNF and of course we DO play at Philly on MNF; just later in the year. So maybe two half points there, equaling one point. Missed the Titans and Falcons games each by exactly one week. Otherwise, wasn’t close on much. 

From a competitive standpoint, this schedule looks very balanced. I try not to get too caught up in “strength of schedule” as it’s all predicated on the past. The Jags might be an 8 win team this year. The Packers might be a 6 win team. Who knows. That said, the schedule is certainly filled with plenty of “winnable” games on paper and there aren’t any particularly daunting stretches of opponents or travel. 

The late bye week is a little weird and probably not 100% ideal, but again, who knows— might come at the perfect time depending on how things play out. The back to back games vs the Giants is also weird, but I don’t view it as any particular disadvantage. I’d have to go and look deeper but I’m pretty sure this will be the only occasion in my lifetime where we’ve played the same opponent in back to back games. 

Some other general notes/personal preference observations: 

—The 4:25 or SNF are my personal favorite windows. I like being in that more “marquee” spot because it likely means you are doing things that matter. I also like watching the early games anticipating our game later. So in that regard it’s a little bit disappointing to only get one game scheduled that way all year (at Colts). I’m not counting the SF game (more on that in a minute). I would have liked a SNF game but I understand why we weren’t chosen. Can always “earn” our way on there later in season (more on that later too). 

—I am good with the placement and opponents in our two scheduled Primetime games. After five straight Sunday 1pm kickoffs to start season, it will be nice to mix it up with the TNF game in Chicago. Also like the mid season MNF game at Philly. 

—A rarity with our game at Dallas. I believe 2008 was the last time we played in Dallas on a Sunday afternoon in the first third to half of the season. That was a 4:25 kickoff and we pulled an upset that day. As far as a 1pm kickoff at Dallas in the first half of season? I am racking my brain, and I THINK the answer 1999. That’s 23 years! This really matters to me personally because Dallas is only a 3.5 hour drive for us. I’ve been to plenty of our games there, but not as many as you’d think because they are so often inconvenient— on or close to a holiday, at night, and/or so late in season that I’m hesitant to book it in advance, not knowing if the game will matter or not. This year is perfect— first Sunday in Oct at noon. That will be an easy decision for me this year. 

—Got some good fortune on the Texans game as well. Pretty easy trip for us and it’s the Sunday before my kids are out all week for Thanksgiving. That works well, so I should be able to make it to two games this year, absolute minimum. 

—The only big negative for me is the Niners game. I am REALLY good about planning ahead and paying things forward to form my life schedule around our schedule. But Christmas Eve is a really tough one for me. We have a pretty set in stone routine/tradition on 12-24 that is going to make it difficult to watch that game live for me. Last time it was an issue was 2016 when we played at Chicago. Luckily for me, it was a 1pm kick which gave me JUST enough time to finish the game before our family stuff got going. The 4:05 kick this year is gonna be rough that day. Hopefully I care enough at that point for it to matter regardless. 

—NFL bumped up the flex scheduling start date a few years ago— starts pretty early now— I believe early October. It’s been pretty rare for flexes prior to November but technically it’s possible. I absolutely would not expect us to even get a possible flex look until our game with GB at the absolute earliest. I mention that week specifically because the SNF game is Steelers at Dolphins, probably the worst one on paper all year. Wouldn’t be surprised if after about week 4/5 that game looks ugly. It’s the Steelers so they’d likely need to be REALLY bad, but something to watch. If we got off to a good start, our game with Packers could be appealing. After that, I find it hard to imagine we’d have flex options for several weeks. Eagles is MNF, Texans, Falcons, Giants x2, and a bye week. Anything is possible but it’s pretty hard to envision any of those match ups being so good that they’d be flex candidates. Last two weeks hosting Browns and Cowboys? Who knows. 

—Note the week 15 home game vs Giants is one of five possible Sat games. Not sure if I’ve seen if the plan that weeks is a triple header or double header. 

—Week 1 vs Jax is considered a “cross flex” as it would normally be a CBS telecast, but is on FOX instead. 49ers game is also a cross-flex airing on CBS. Browns game is not considered a cross-flex as it is the “extra” game for us this year and all of those games are free agents for the networks. 

Pretty nice schedule overall. Perfectly fine from a competitive standpoint and more or less fan friendly. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, kleese said:

My thoughts: 

I didn’t get anything correct on my mock schedule, but I DO think I earned some sort of partial credit—- I correctly had us playing Philly in week 3– but I had it as the away meeting and not at FedEx. I also had it on MNF and of course we DO play at Philly on MNF; just later in the year. So maybe two half points there, equaling one point. Missed the Titans and Falcons games each by exactly one week. Otherwise, wasn’t close on much. 

I’ve noticed a pattern that the league seems to follow most of the time. It isn’t ironclad, but it’s true more often than not. And that is that divisional head to head matchups are usually scheduled in the opposite sequence from the year before. Last year Washington’s first game with the Eagles was in Philadelphia, with the rematch in Washington. This year it’s the opposite. I think if you go back through recent history, I think you’ll see that being pretty common. 

So I think it could have been a plausible conjecture that their first encounter would be at Fed Ex.

At any rate, it could be an interesting exercise to verify the historical frequency of this rotation in the schedule.

We do have 3 teams playing us coming off of extra rest which kind of sucks.

No teams coming off of byes are playing us.  However, Philly (week 10, MNF), SF (week 16), and Dal (week 18) are all coming off Thursday night football before playing us.  

Interesting schedule. The part where the two Giants games sandwich the bye week seems silly.

According to an article by John Keim:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33905671/washington-commanders-2022-schedule-strong-start-must

Washington is tied for the easiest season with a 32nd ranking in strength of schedule.

Of course that is based on last year mostly, and really doesn't mean a whole lot for this year.

Anyway, GO WASHINGTON!@ :815:

I think the hand wringing over the schedule is one of the weirder things that NFL fans do.  We knew who our opponents would be awhile ago.  Who cares what order they're in?  

The only thing that sucks is we don't have a bye until Week 14.  Other than that, whatever.  

• Like 2

12 hours ago, zCommander said:

But at least we are playing them at home after the bye though. 

From a prep standpoint, we have essentially 3 weeks getting ready for one team.  

11 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

This is what they shoulda done instead of that fiasco last year.

I'm annoyed that the bozos running this franchise keep trying to milk Sean Taylor's passing. Let him RIP please. His memory deserves better than constantly being trotted out like some kind of prop to juice up an apathetic fan base.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I'm annoyed that the bozos running this franchise keep trying to milk Sean Taylor's passing. Let him RIP please. His memory deserves better than constantly being trotted out like some kind of prop to juice up an apathetic fan base.

100%.  They know they royally ****ed up last year so they're giving themselves a mulligan for this season.  

It's embarrassing.  They just all need to shut the **** up and go away and let him RIP, for sure.  Let a new regime (if we ever get one) that's competent handle giving the man a proper tribute.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Oh stop. Having a memorial or whatever at the stadium for him is a nice thing. 

• Thanks 2

The schedule on paper makes you expect playoffs this year. Anything short of that is unacceptable and failure to achieve that; it's time for some changes.

In reality,  in a league where playoff turnover is half the playoff field year to year; you don't know what to expect.

Despite that, if we can't make the playoffs ; we need some changes in 23. You know my preferred change but if we fail in 22; this team can't roll with the same in 23.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

We're opening with the Jags and Lions. Perfect set up for Carson to start 2-0 heading into the return to Philly showdown.

Urban is gone which is a major improvement for the Jags, and they beefed up their defense selecting 1 Edge 2 LB  and 2 CB.

The Lions got probably the best DE and WR of this draft, and last time we beat them in their home was 10/26/2008 25-17.

Starting 2-0 will be the best way to build some momemtum for the rest of the season, but I doubt it will be easy despite their bad records.

9 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Urban is gone which is a major improvement for the Jags, and they beefed up their defense selecting 1 Edge 2 LB  and 2 CB.

The Lions got probably the best DE and WR of this draft, and last time we beat them in their home was 10/26/2008 25-17.

Starting 2-0 will be the best way to build some momemtum for the rest of the season, but I doubt it will be easy despite their bad records.

The Jags have a second year Trevor Lawrence learning a new offense.

Detroit has Goff. And rookies playing their first and second games are typically somewhat lost.  (Not always, just typically.)

Forget Wentz.  These two games should have very little todo with Wentz.

These are games the defense SHOULD dominate. Or at least very significantly slow down the opposing offenses.  

I REALLY want the offense to come out and be explosive, but if you have to win both of those games 17-10, they really should be able to do that.

If the defense comes out and the Jags and Lions just run up and down the field on them, this is going to be a LONG LONG year, and I'm going to have to start questioning Ron.  They have enough talent for that not to happen. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The schedule on paper makes you expect playoffs this year. Anything short of that is unacceptable and failure to achieve that; it's time for some changes.

In reality,  in a league where playoff turnover is half the playoff field year to year; you don't know what to expect.

Despite that, if we can't make the playoffs ; we need some changes in 23. You know my preferred change but if we fail in 22; this team can't roll with the same in 23.

I hate playing the schedule game and setting expectations based on the schedule.  

I get that we're not playing a lot of top-end QBs this year (which we knew months ago) so that's the big difference from last year.  And that's helpful.

But almost invariably, for about half the teams in the league,, what you thought was an easy schedule turns out to be a harder schedule, and what was a harder schedule turns out to be easier.

So, we'll see.

Also, there aren't going to be changes made at the end of this season no matter what.  I personally think they will have a 10-11 win season, because I think that's about how good they are based on the talent that's on the team.  If you can win 7 games each of the last 2 years with the aggregate lowest QBR score in the NFL, then in theory even if you get average QB play, you should get 3-ish more wins.

Assuming all else is equal, and in the commander's case, all else is mostly equal.  Same core group of players, they didn't lose any starters, they signed some additional backups.  So, in theory, they should be 3-ish games better with Wentz vs. Haskins(RIP)/Allen/Smith/TH.  

43 minutes ago, FrFan said:

Doubt Williams plays week 2.  Most likely, he's on the PUP list for a significant portion of the season.  Lions aren't risking him that early.

Edited by mhd24