Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2022 Commanders Schedule Info, Leaks, Mocks

kleese

The NFL Draft and the various mocks only hold a small appeal for me as it pertains to the off-season. Not something I've ever gotten overly worked-up over or excited about. I do always have a good laugh at fans freaking out because the team passed on a guard from TCU that they mocked to us in the 5th round. Sort like fans at home, "scouting" the combine and commenting on how fluid the hips are on a defensive back from Fresno State. 

But I DO love schedule talk. I and DO love mock schedules. Sue me. 

NFL does a pretty good job these days of keeping leaks under wraps until about 12-24 hours before the schedule actually drops. That drop date has been pushed back over the years. Used to be right around now-- mid-March. But it was mid May last year and safe to assume that's approx. when it will land again. I don't think the draft has a huge sway in how the schedule is produced, but I do think they'd prefer to wait until after the draft just in case there are any more big moves. 

So we can keep any leaks, predictions, or rumors here. 

Before I drop Mock 1.0 on you, some general things:

--The ONLY thing that schedule-makers truly care about when slotting for TV and big marquee slots is QB power and team success/following. In other words, the Dolphins trading for Tyreke isn't going to drastically change their national profile as far as the schedule is concerned. You have your rock solid teams like Dallas, Tampa, Green Bay, Rams in NFC. All playoff teams from last year either with massive following, elite QB, or both. Rams may not quite qualify under those guidelines, but they are defending champs. Then you have teams like the Browns and Broncos that significantly changed their profile with marquee QB additions. A team like Pittsburgh may take a slight turn the other way-- huge following, but might be entering a retooling phase-- iffy QB situation and may not be featured quite as much. 

--Every team plays one Thursday game by rule 

--Every team plays one primetime game by rule (a Thursday night game can check both boxes) 

--All Thursday games on Amazon now, ESPN/ABC keeping the MNF package but with Buck/Aikman in the booth. CBS/FOX still carrying AFC/NFC weekly with rotating Double-headers. I assume week 1 will be like last year where BOTH CBS/FOX had a DH to account for the extra week. 

Notes specific to Commanders

--I think we will be slotted as a "safe, not sexy" team this year-- somewhat similar to last year. We will not have a bunch of marquee spots, but probably won't totally buried under all 1:00 Sunday kickoffs like the Jets or Jags or Lions. I think the majority of our games will land there, but we will sneak into a few bigger spots. Can always play our way into more later in season via flexing if warranted. 

--We of course will play one Thursday game. I am also 99% sure we will have at least one MNF game. 

--I am far less sure about a SNF game. Lots of options for us on Thursday/Monday, but I feel the SNF options will be limited. I can really only see us on SNF matched up with the Cowboys. Every year there are maybe 2-4 SNF games that aren't QUITE as marquee on paper, so perhaps you could see us on SNF against the Eagles or Packers, but I'd say that's a real long shot. I would not be surprised to se us on SNF vs Dallas, but I will be surprised if we are on SNF against anyone else. 

--I feel similarly about the late DH spot. Dallas a real possibility there for a nationally focused 4:25 kickoff. I think Philly or Packers could slide in there as well, but that would be a fairly weak DH on paper. What could happen is we get slotted in for a 4:25 kickoff as a non-primary game to help balance the schedule. Let's say Rams-49ers is the DH some week, well, you could see maybe in that same slot against the Browns or someone like that to help split the audience a little bit-- it's rare that a 4:25 kickoff gets 100% stand-alone attention throughout the season. You could also see us in a random 4:05 kickoff on the non-DH network, although that is something that has been VERY rare for us over the years unless playing on West Coast. 

--Speaking of WC, our only trip this year is to SanFran. So that will be a late afternoon kickoff unless it's primetime. No way that's a SNF game and the league very much limits cross-country travel for Thursday games. So unless that winds up on MNF, you can expect a late afternoon start. 

--Thanksgiving a possibility again. We played on Thanksgiving in Dallas in 1990, 1996, 2002. See the pattern? Then we took a decade-long breather, returning in 2012. But that's when we started a much more noticeable pattern-- 2012, 2016, 2018, 2020. Here's the deal-- we draw very well on Thanksgiving in Dallas AND it doesn't really burn a marquee game for FOX. Notice how the Cowboys almost never play the Eagles, Giants, Packers, etc. on Thanksgiving? That's because the networks know it's going to be a big audience regardless so why burn a big dog opponent in that spot? We fit in nicely because it has some tradition to it and doesn't cost the network much. Plus, per the rotation, Dallas would be hosting an NFC team on Thanksgiving this year-- the options are Commanders, Eagles, Giants, Bears, Lions, Bucs, Colts, Texans, Bengals. Assuming it is indeed an NFC team... that leaves the three division rivals, Bears, Bucs (Lions obviously not an option). STRONG possibility it's going to be us because I say close to 0% it's Tampa. Chicago could be an option. With the Giants down, I wouldn't be shocked if it was them either. But my money is on us to be back in Jerryworld on Turkey Day. 

--While FOX and CBS still hold the rights to the NFC and AFC respectively, cross-flexing is a thing now. I think we've had at least one cross-flex per year since they started. Normally our CBS games would be the Browns, Titans, and Jaguars. But one of those could be on FOX and we could face an NFC team on CBS potentially. 

--Also possible we wind up on that list of possible Saturday games late in year. For my Mock I won't be including those. 

--No London for us, so that eliminates a few options against those opponents. (Assuming the announced teams are all home teams) 

Mock 1.0 

Sunday, Sept 11th: at Bears (1pm FOX) 

Sunday, Sept 18th: Giants (1pm FOX) 

Monday, Sept. 26th: at Eagles (8:15pm ESPN/ABC) 

Sunday, Oct. 2nd: Titans (1pm CBS) 

Sunday, Oct. 9th: at Texans (1pm FOX) 

Sunday, Oct. 16th: Cowboys (4:25 CBS) 

BYE

Sunday, Oct. 30th: at Lions (1pm FOX) 

Monday, Nov. 7th: at Colts (8:15pm ESPN/ABC) 

Sunday, Nov. 13th: Browns (1pm CBS) 

Sunday, Nov. 20th: Falcons (1pm FOX) 

Thursday, Nov. 24th: at Cowboys (4:25pm FOX) 

Sunday, Dec. 4th: Packers (1pm FOX) 

Sunday, Dec. 11th: at 49ers (4:05pm FOX) 

Sunday, Dec. 18th: Jaguars (1pm CBS) 

Saturday, Dec, 24th: Vikings (1pm FOX) 

Sunday, Jan. 1st: at Giants (1pm FOX)

Sunday, Jan. 8th: Eagles (TBD) 

• Thanks 1

Forgot that they waited until May again last year to release the schedule. Ugh.....had gotten used to April.

WRT Thanksgiving, it's always nice to have the viewing/rooting interest if we're on, but recently it's gotten ridiculous. We were also on in 2017 against the Giants. And I thought the whole point of adding the third Thanksgiving game was to mitigate the complaints about Dallas and Detroit, but yet in both 2018 and 2019 we get Falcons vs Saints. Stupid.

As with every season, I'm looking forward to the takes on here after it's released that it's the toughest schedule in league history and how much the Skins are getting screwed for any number of reasons.

Edited by hail2skins

A couple things to note here

1) not every team plays a TNF game. Most teams do receive a TNF game, however the past few years there’s been probably 5 or 6 that haven’t. 

2) not every team receives a prime time game, so that’s not a rule. In fact, in 2020 we had 0 prime time games originally scheduled (game against Steelers moved to a MNF (well, Monday evening at 5:00) game due to Covid issues, and our week 17 game against Philly wasn’t a SNF game originally—it was flexed to SNF after the week 16 games had finished)

i could see kirks return to Washington being a prime time game (we played him in Minnesota on TNF in 2019, now it’s his first time coming back to FedExField)

Im betting were the Hard Knocks team.

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

1) not every team plays a TNF game. Most teams do receive a TNF game, however the past few years there’s been probably 5 or 6 that haven’t.

This is incorrect. Every team plays at least one ever single year. 

Just now, Zim489 said:

Im betting were the Hard Knocks team.

Under the guidelines, nope. 

Teams aren’t required to be included as potential participants if 

1) they have a 1st year head coach 

2) have made the playoffs in the last two seasons (we did in 2020) Or

3) have been on the show in the past 10 seasons 

We haven't had a season finale at home since 2018 so I'm guessing we'll end the year at home this year. Probably against Dallas.

On the flip side, we've opened at home the last two years so I think we'll open on the road this year. 

Our lone primetime game could be at Indy or at Philly, Wentz's return and all. At Philly could be a good Thursday Night candidate, since most of those tend to be intra division games anyway. I doubt we get any SNF and we might get one MNF.

Thanksgiving in Dallas is a good possibility, especially if our season finale is at home against them. 2012 redux. 

The rest of our games will probably be 1 o clockers. We're a boring team with no real star power. The exception being at San Fran, that'll be a 4-4:30 for sure unless both teams are good and it gets flexed to national TV.

5 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Under the guidelines, nope. 

Teams aren’t required to be included as potential participants if 

1) they have a 1st year head coach 

2) have made the playoffs in the last two seasons (we did in 2020) Or

3) have been on the show in the past 10 seasons 

Chargers are the prime candidate for Hard Knocks. 

19 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

2) not every team receives a prime time game, so that’s not a rule. In fact, in 2020 we had 0 prime time games originally scheduled (game against Steelers moved to a MNF (well, Monday evening at 5:00) game due to Covid issues, and our week 17 game against Philly wasn’t a SNF game originally—it was flexed to SNF after the week 16 games had finished)

I think our Thanksgiving game against the Cowboys in 2020 might have "counted" as our prime time game (obviously the game itself was late afternoon)

9 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

i could see kirks return to Washington being a prime time game (we played him in Minnesota on TNF in 2019, now it’s his first time coming back to FedExField)

Incorrect, every team in NFL is scheduled for a Thursday game. Perhaps I should have clarified that it doesn't need to be TNF-- a Thanksgiving game counts. But every team will play at least one game on Thursday every year. 

Also, Thursday games are considered "primetime" even if played in afternoon. Thus the "every team gets a primetime game." A Thursday game can check both boxes-- Panthers at Texans last year an example of NFL getting Carolina and Houston out of way quickly. 

24 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

This is incorrect. Every team plays at least one ever single year. 

Yeah, i guess thanksgiving games do count towards a TNF game. I stand corrected 

also, the page i looked at for TNF games in 2021 says week 3 was panthers @ Dallas Texans. Odd. They’re Houston 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Nope.

went through the 2021 TNF schedule, counted only 27 teams that had a TNF game, and I’m pretty sure there are 32 teams lmaooooo. 

the teams that didn’t receive a TNF game in 2021: Bears, Lions, Texans, and Raiders (now, 3 of those teams played on thanksgiving day, so that’s probably the reason those 3 teams got out of a TNF game, but the Texans didn’t play on thanksgiving, and they didn’t have a TNF game)

Wrong, Texans hosted Panthers on TNF. 

Thanksgiving games count as Thursday games. 

38 minutes ago, kleese said:

Wrong, Texans hosted Panthers on TNF. 

Thanksgiving games count as Thursday games. 

Yeah, for some reason the page I looked at said Dallas Texans, so my mind thought that was cowboys, cause Dallas. 

Now this has me thinking. I remember seeing teams without a TNF in previous years, and now I’m looking up if they had a thanksgiving game in those years, and this yahoo article lists broncos @ jets twice in 2020….so that one can’t be too helpful i guess 

AH! Found two teams in 2019 without a TNF OR thanksgiving game at all. Dolphins and Bengals. And 1 team in 2018 that didn’t have 1, the Bills. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993

• 5 weeks later...

Word is there will be a Christmas Day triple header! Most games will be Saturday the 24th though (with a Christmas eve night game on NFL Network)

and for 2023 they’re planning on having at least two Christmas games that Monday. I could see them scheduling a game for Christmas night (or Christmas afternoon) in 2024 even though that’ll be a Wednesday. 

EDIT: so, we officially know we don’t play on TNF to start week 2 this season. Amazon prime announced last night that the debut to their TNF package will be chiefs vs chargers. 

Edited by Cooleyfan1993
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

With the announcement of the opening Amazon Game week 2 and the five international games, we know a TAD more about our schedule now. Mainly when we will NOT be playing certain teams. We play at least one team involved in 4/5 International Games; so we obviously won't be playing those teams on those dates. Even though there have been some exceptions, the league has generally granted a BYE week to the International teams the week after they play overseas, so it then becomes less likely we'd play them the following week either. 

The mock I posted above actually wound up having no conflicts with any of those games or potential bye weeks, so it can stay as is. Posting it here again-- the one thing I'm waffling on a bit is maybe having us open with the Cowboys on MNF... some rumors ESPN will get a pretty big MNF game to kick off the Aikman/Buck era and the Cowboys would certainly qualify as a draw. If it's us, it doesn't burn a huge marquee opponent for Dallas while still being a typically strong draw/rivalry. If that were to happen, I'd prefer it be in Dallas to get that trip over with early and not have to deal with the FedEx invasion right away-  it would also then of course eliminate us playing there on Thanksgiving. But for now, I'm keeping my mock as-is. With the schedule release 8 days away now I imagine we will start getting some leaks soon. 

Sunday, Sept 11th: at Bears (1pm FOX) 

Sunday, Sept 18th: Giants (1pm FOX) 

Monday, Sept. 26th: at Eagles (8:15pm ESPN/ABC) 

Sunday, Oct. 2nd: Titans (1pm CBS) 

Sunday, Oct. 9th: at Texans (1pm FOX) 

Sunday, Oct. 16th: Cowboys (4:25 CBS) 

BYE

Sunday, Oct. 30th: at Lions (1pm FOX) 

Monday, Nov. 7th: at Colts (8:15pm ESPN/ABC) 

Sunday, Nov. 13th: Browns (1pm CBS) 

Sunday, Nov. 20th: Falcons (1pm FOX) 

Thursday, Nov. 24th: at Cowboys (4:25pm FOX) 

Sunday, Dec. 4th: Packers (1pm FOX) 

Sunday, Dec. 11th: at 49ers (4:05pm FOX) 

Sunday, Dec. 18th: Jaguars (1pm CBS) 

Saturday, Dec, 24th: Vikings (1pm FOX) 

Sunday, Jan. 1st: at Giants (1pm FOX)

Sunday, Jan. 8th: Eagles (TBD) 

• Thumb up 1

I want @Colts and @Philly the 1st 2 games. Let's Carson get his revenge road tour; out of the way. If Carson plays poorly in those 2 opening games; his career likely done here. He won't be mentally able to overcome that and plays poorly the rest of the way.

I think the only primetime games you can guarantee are the Colts and Eagles games. They will most likely throw a Cowboys game in there somewhere. Although I dont know if it is still considered our primary rival after the name change. 

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I think the only primetime games you can guarantee are the Colts and Eagles games. They will most likely throw a Cowboys game in there somewhere. Although I dont know if it is still considered our primary rival after the name change. 

Really? Not Vikings with kirks return to FedExField? That doesn’t scream “primetime game” to you? 

1 minute ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

Really? Not Vikings with kirks return to FedExField? That doesn’t scream “primetime game” to you? 

I dont know. Half of the "fans" of this downtrodden franchise probably dont even remember Cousins. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I don’t think anyone cares about that. It barely moves the needle for Washington fans so I can’t imagine it’s even something general fans would notice. It’s been five years and it’s not like KC is some sort of team legend returning for the first time. It’s possible the game could randomly wind up as a Thursday game or something— each of the last two times we played at Minnesota they were Thursday games—but I don’t think that game would be targeted as a primetime game for the sole reason of featuring Kirk’s “return.” 

• Thumb up 1