Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

That’s would have to be after Wednesday when Wentz is actually our player.

Yes agree. I really don't think this is at all possible and I would not care about a tweet, but Silver is so close to Ron I had to do a double take 

• Like 1

People on this board are way too extreme. 

I have been thinking about a Wentz trade since probably mid January when first EB brought it up on the Junkies. It was marginally brought up here and there but the main conversation was Tribusky, Mariota, and the flock. I will argue that Wentz is better than all of them except maybe Winston, but Winston was a 50/50 TD or Int guy so I don't know if I like him more, especially coming off an injury. And I'm the head of the Heinieke committee and I'll say easily that I think Wentz is better than Heinicke. 

So what's the argument? DId we give up too much? I say heck no. We got a starting QB who threw for 27/7 last year and got 10 wins without giving up a first rounder. Some say he's another Kirk. Lets not forget that Stafford was another Kirk before he won it all. Carr was called another Kirk. Basically every middle of the pack QB is another Kirk. 

So the chips fell this week. We wanted Rodgers, but they laughed at us and gave him $200 mil. We wanted Wilson but he laughed at us and went to Denver. So we surveyed the field and brought home the best remaining QB minus Watson who I don't want for the same reason I wouldn't want Big Ben on my team. Its cool that he was cleared but I don't want to be rooting for that guy. And again, we did it without giving up a first rounder. Without giving up what the Colts gave for him, or what the Rams gave for Stafford or what the Panthers gave up for Darnold. And Wentz is better than Darnold. 

We hear these rumors and it reminds me of the Eagles cutting Jackson, even with how the media is grabbing onto everything and trying to present it in the worse light possible. But watch after his first 300 yard game they'll be saying "do we have a franchise QB". 

I don't love the guy or the trade but I'm not extreme hate against it. I would still like to see Ridder in the second but I feel like we'll be getting a lower round guy to have to mold behind Wentz. I have no problem with that because at the end of the day its just a game. 

OK. I'm going back into my offseason cave to hybernate. 

• Like 7
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

People on this board are way too extreme. 

I have been thinking about a Wentz trade since probably mid January when first EB brought it up on the Junkies. It was marginally brought up here and there but the main conversation was Tribusky, Mariota, and the flock. I will argue that Wentz is better than all of them except maybe Winston, but Winston was a 50/50 TD or Int guy so I don't know if I like him more, especially coming off an injury. And I'm the head of the Heinieke committee and I'll say easily that I think Wentz is better than Heinicke. 

So what's the argument? DId we give up too much? I say heck no. We got a starting QB who threw for 27/7 last year and got 10 wins without giving up a first rounder. Some say he's another Kirk. Lets not forget that Stafford was another Kirk before he won it all. Carr was called another Kirk. Basically every middle of the pack QB is another Kirk. 

So the chips fell this week. We wanted Rodgers, but they laughed at us and gave him $200 mil. We wanted Wilson but he laughed at us and went to Denver. So we surveyed the field and brought home the best remaining QB minus Watson who I don't want for the same reason I wouldn't want Big Ben on my team. Its cool that he was cleared but I don't want to be rooting for that guy. And again, we did it without giving up a first rounder. Without giving up what the Colts gave for him, or what the Rams gave for Stafford or what the Panthers gave up for Darnold. And Wentz is better than Darnold. 

We hear these rumors and it reminds me of the Eagles cutting Jackson, even with how the media is grabbing onto everything and trying to present it in the worse light possible. But watch after his first 300 yard game they'll be saying "do we have a franchise QB". 

I don't love the guy or the trade but I'm not extreme hate against it. I would still like to see Ridder in the second but I feel like we'll be getting a lower round guy to have to mold behind Wentz. I have no problem with that because at the end of the day its just a game. 

OK. I'm going back into my offseason cave to hybernate. 

Sip and I have been going back and forth about Wentz, but only to each other. We knew it would create ridicule. I've always liked him, thought he was underrated, but since signing him I've gotten even more excited. His play style is very Farve-esque. I think the "bad teammate" thing is completely over blown. This is the first time he's had a really good QB coach since 2017 and now he's finally got a legit offense around him. The sky is the limit and for us to get that the way we did, is a huge bargain. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

I'm warming up to Wentz too...Finlay is a noted cynic with this team, so this carries some weight with me.

Well, duh...

image.png.561f866a84a0db8fc17e4d3ec5e08b8c.png

Its like the name thing though. I get a feeling some people wanted no QB. Not Wentz. Not Heinicke. Not Tribs. Not Mariota. Not a rookie. There was nobody that would satisfy them. There are those saying that Ron's basically already fired so lets just get it over with. Its just wild. 

I'm not a fan of trading for QBs like we did with Brunell, McNabb and Smith but I will say that I like keeping our first rounders for picking the elite players rather than picking a QB who is not the best player available. It would be one thing if we were picking a Rodgers who was supposed to go #1 or #2 overall that year, or a guy with all the skills or something but the best guys are short, small hands, moderate deep balls. I'm not sad about missing this and while I wouldn't have been satisfied with any selection (including Wentz) I'm also not hysterical because I realize the pickins are slim and we got the best of the remaining bunch. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PlayAction said:

The JP Finlay article was spot on IMO.  Help Carson to succeed by giving him the weapons that he needs to run a competent offense.:  1) going big on TE, i.e., sign Zach Ertz, 2) draft a WR in first or second round, and 3) re-sign McKissic. I would add that the team needs to invest in the OL (either free agent mid level starter Guard or draft a G/T that can develop into a starter).  There's never enough cap space or number of draft picks.    

As far as ertz goes, spotrac has his market value being 7.5 mil a year. That wouldn't be a good allocation of our resources.   We should let Logan Thomas be his Zack ertz.

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Sip and I have been going back and forth about Wentz, but only to each other. We knew it would create ridicule. I've always liked him, thought he was underrated, but since signing him I've gotten even more excited. His play style is very Farve-esque. I think the "bad teammate" thing is completely over blown. This is the first time he's had a really good QB coach since 2017 and now he's finally got a legit offense around him. The sky is the limit and for us to get that the way we did, is a huge bargain. 

Yeah, I need to look at SIP's comments in particular. I have been reading without seeing the names. Sometimes I can see his writings because he has some tells (big Corral guy) but I don't always know, especially with Wentz now in the picture. 

7 minutes ago, KillBill26 said:

As far as ertz goes, spotrac has his market value being 7.5 mil a year. That wouldn't be a good allocation of our resources.   We should let Logan Thomas be his Zack ertz.

His argument was that Wentz would do well with TWO TEs and we don't know how well Logan Thomas will be when he returns from injury.  There are contracts that can be restructured to make room for 7.5 million per year.  Some fans have argued that the Commanders should sign Amari Cooper at 20 million per year.  I would rather have a 7.5 million player and then draft a WR in the first or second round.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Yeah, I need to look at SIP's comments in particular. I have been reading without seeing the names. Sometimes I can see his writings because he has some tells (big Corral guy) but I don't always know, especially with Wentz now in the picture. 

I meant in PMs. Too many angry potatoes around here. Imagine saying Wentz is the answer a month ago? 

1 minute ago, PlayAction said:

His argument was that Wentz would do well with TWO TEs and we don't know how well Logan Thomas will be when he returns from injury.  There are contracts that can be restructured to make room for 7.5 million per year.  Some fans have argued that the Commanders should sign Amari Cooper at 20 million per year.  I would rather have a 7.5 million player and then draft a WR in the first or second round.  

I think people stress the TEs with Wentz because of Ertz being his top pass catcher for four years. I think that had more to do the Eagles having garbage at WR. Post injury Alshon Jeffery was the best wideout they had.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, PlayAction said:

I agree with you on the WR approach, I'd like to get one early in the draft (and relatively cheaper).  I also don't see ertz getting 7.5, but if it's in that range, I think it is going to be a luxury we can't afford.  Even after restructures, we have a lot of holes. Id rather our big free agent be a mike such as Wagner / Campbell, and use the rest of the cap for solid mid tier guys to round out the roster.  Not that ertz wouldn't be a great fit here, he would.  Maybe we get lucky and he signs an affordable deal to play with Wentz and get revenge on Philly.

40 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

I meant in PMs. Too many angry potatoes around here. Imagine saying Wentz is the answer a month ago? 

The angry potatoes would probably say go from Wentz you came.

I'll be here all week.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Guys, we have a QB that has the arm to make every throw.  He has the cannon to launch it 60+ yards and it relatively accurate on the deep balls.

OK, he might be a bit of a head case.  Maybe he is a different dude that rubs a few folks in the locker room a bit, not much of a rah-rah guy and might just sling it with his eyes closed a bit recklessly every now and then.

But he can spin it deep.  Teams might just have to play the entire field against us and maybe those safeties might just have to take a couple steps back and Gibson can get a few extra yards before contact.  Maybe scary Terry will be scary again.

I have zero doubt we have a greater chance of winning with Wentz than we did before Wentz. Let’s give him a chance.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

So the big question is, does this open Scott Turner's playbook more with Wentz? I would hope so. It's going to be interesting to see just what Turner can do.

As Keim, L. Paulsen and a few others have pointed out, Turner needs to be less predictable with situational play-calling and, critically, even less so out of certain formations. Open up that playbook, yes, but add some nuance.

Edited by skinzplay

2 hours ago, skinzplay said:

As Keim, L. Paulsen and a few others have pointed out, Turner needs to be less predictable with situational play-calling and, critically, even less so out of certain formations. Open up that playbook, yes, but add some nuance.

Maybe he has to be predictable because of how limited the talent on offense has been, especially at QB? 

If my QBs in my OC career have been Dewey Haskins, Alex Smith, and Taylor Heinicke, yeah I don't know how creative I can really be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Call me pessimistic but I think this Wentz move ends up being like McNabb. 

OK, you're pessimistic. 

McNabb was 4 (5?) years older than Wentz is at this point, and wasn't anywhere near as good in his final seasons in Philly as Carson was last year in Indy.  I get it, we all smell the recent stink of the Alex Smith trade (and contract EXTENSION, which was a million times worse) and the Fitzpatrick signing (which was truly a case of awful luck),  But put that aside and realize that we fleeced the (crack-head) owner of one of the few franchises who are as dysfunctional as we are and got the most talented QB this franchise has had in two decades.   And just be optimistic for a few months until proven otherwise.  

• Like 3

So one thing which has been pointed out about Wentz on the field is sometimes he makes the easy things hard, but does the hard things pretty well.  

So, he’s good on deep stuff and avoiding pressure but he’s not as good at quick game and dump offs. 

It seems like every coach has tried to “fix” it to make him better at what he’s not really good at. 

I kindof hope Scott Turner goes the opposite direction.  Structure the offense on pressing the ball down the field a bunch. And then instead of trying to have a lot of quick game, use a variety of guys in the run game and run the ball more.  Much more of a Joe Gibbs/Norv Turner style offense then the more traditional WCO which Wentz has played in.

Don’t be afraid to take a whole bunch of medium to deep shots.  There will be a few INTs thrown in there because you’re being more aggressive, and I don’t honestly care.  If Wentz was to throw 35 TDs and 17 INTs, I’d be fine with that.  (35/35 I would not be).

Be aggressive in the passing game. Wentz has the arm to push the ball down the field and (in theory if Samuel is healthy) we have three receivers who are sub 4.4 40 guys, and Gibson was also.  There’s plenty of speed at the skill positions now, and that’s barring anything they might do in FA and the draft.

We haven’t ever really seen an aggressive offense here, at least not since 1991. Maybe Shsmahan’s was a bit.  But a lot of the stuff in 2012 was all based around the R/O.  Not stretch the field type of stuff.   I guess Spurrier tried, but that was a flip.  Gibbs II was conservative.  Zorn’s was incomprehensible. Gruden ran on 2/3 of downs for 6 years.  Callahan doubled down and ran on every first (and second, third fourth and fifth downs).  

I still maintain we have no idea what Scott wants to run.  Because he’s been saddled with Haskins, Kyle Allen, Alex Smith (minus a functioning leg)and TH who can’t run 40% of the playbook.  

So now with Wentz, there is a guy who opens up the playbook.  He’s also a hard worker and apparent has a photographic memory.  I hope they don’t try and make him a conservative, make sure you protect the ball type of game manager.  Go out there and sling it.  Counter with the run for balance, but don’t just line it up and jame the ball up the middle.  Use multiple ball carriers. Use jet sweeps, end arounds, stretch plays, etc.  force the defense to account for everyone on every play.

If you go down, go down swinging. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

So one thing which has been pointed out about Wentz on the field is sometimes he makes the easy things hard, but does the hard things pretty well.  

So, he’s good on deep stuff and avoiding pressure but he’s not as good at quick game and dump offs. 

It seems like every coach has tried to “fix” it to make him better at what he’s not really good at. 

I kindof hope Scott Turner goes the opposite direction.  Structure the offense on pressing the ball down the field a bunch. And then instead of trying to have a lot of quick game, use a variety of guys in the run game and run the ball more.  Much more of a Joe Gibbs/Norv Turner style offense then the more traditional WCO which Wentz has played in.

Don’t be afraid to take a whole bunch of medium to deep shots.  There will be a few INTs thrown in there because you’re being more aggressive, and I don’t honestly care.  If Wentz was to throw 35 TDs and 17 INTs, I’d be fine with that.  (35/35 I would not be).

Be aggressive in the passing game. Wentz has the arm to push the ball down the field and (in theory if Samuel is healthy) we have three receivers who are sub 4.4 40 guys, and Gibson was also.  There’s plenty of speed at the skill positions now, and that’s barring anything they might do in FA and the draft.

We haven’t ever really seen an aggressive offense here, at least not since 1991. Maybe Shsmahan’s was a bit.  But a lot of the stuff in 2012 was all based around the R/O.  Not stretch the field type of stuff.   I guess Spurrier tried, but that was a flip.  Gibbs II was conservative.  Zorn’s was incomprehensible. Gruden ran on 2/3 of downs for 6 years.  Callahan doubled down and ran on every first (and second, third fourth and fifth downs).  

I still maintain we have no idea what Scott wants to run.  Because he’s been saddled with Haskins, Kyle Allen, Alex Smith (minus a functioning leg)and TH who can’t run 40% of the playbook.  

So now with Wentz, there is a guy who opens up the playbook.  He’s also a hard worker and apparent has a photographic memory.  I hope they don’t try and make him a conservative, make sure you protect the ball type of game manager.  Go out there and sling it.  Counter with the run for balance, but don’t just line it up and jame the ball up the middle.  Use multiple ball carriers. Use jet sweeps, end arounds, stretch plays, etc.  force the defense to account for everyone on every play.

What makes you think Frank Reich tried to "fix it" to make him better at what he's really not good at? I need to hear more on this....Frank Reich knows Wentz and his game better than anyone in the NFL. Please explain where you got this thought from. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

You "hope Scott Turner goes the opposite of what Frank Reich and every other coach did with Wentz?"....Reich is the guy who called the plays for the Eagles and won them a SB with Nick Foles and before that, Carson Wentz. Now you want Turner to do the opposite of what Reich did with Wentz? 

And Turner could only use 40% of the playbook with Haskins, Smith, Heinicke and Allen? Do you have a source on this? 

I can't wait to see the full Turner offense with Wentz now that you've enlightened us with these "facts".....We're gonna be lights out.

2 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

You "hope Scott Turner goes the opposite of what Frank Reich and every other coach did with Wentz?"....Reich is the guy who called the plays for the Eagles and won them a SB with Nick Foles and before that, Carson Wentz. Now you want Turner to do the opposite of what Reich did with Wentz? 

And Turner could only use 40% of the playbook with Haskins, Smith, Heinicke and Allen? Do you have a source on this? 

I can't wait to see the full Turner offense with Wentz now that you've enlightened us with these "facts".....We're gonna be lights out.

You cant compare anyone to Philly. They won't make the dumb moves.