Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does today feel like an end?

Burgold

6 hours ago, Bacon said:

I supported the Washington Redskins and the Washington Football Team, but I am not a fan of the Washington Commanders. As of now, I do not have a team that I support. It feels strange but it might be for the best for my mental health and my wallet in the long run.

This is how I feel. I’m sure that I will always keep one eye on Washington football out of habit and curiosity. But I rooted for the Skins my whole life (40 years) because that was my dad’s team. He’s gone now and so is our team. I don’t understand this name and I think these jerseys are just about the cheesiest things I have ever seen. They all look like XFL style knock offs of different existing NFL teams. 

Maybe it’s just time for me to move on. My dad followed George Allen to the Skins from the Rams and stayed a Skins fan from California the rest of his life. Maybe I need to find someone to follow to another team and just start all over. Or maybe I’ll just root for the Bangles since my 3 year old is obsessed with their tiger helmets 😂

I know this all sounds silly, but I really feel like I lost something today. I shouldn’t feel sad about a football teams name and jerseys, but I do. They can put the old (incorrect) super bowl years on their goofy patch, but this feels like an expansion team taking over after the old team just ceased to exist. 

• Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

11 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

Basically, I think my NFL facebook status changed to "Available".  Not ready to jump into something and it has to feel right of course.

I think I'll probably just follow Terry wherever he ends up going. He deserves it, unlike this disaster of a franchise.

• Like 1

Glad the redskins name and controversy is finally gone. As an Indian american, i got tired of being asked "are you a redskin?"  oh you are the other type of indian.  Simply put, this country allowed Native Americans to be called Indians when the only indians are from india. 

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

Glad the redskins name and controversy is finally gone. As an Indian american, i got tired of being asked "are you a redskin?"  oh you are the other type of indian.  Simply put, this country allowed Native Americans to be called Indians when the only indians are from india. 

Thank you for this perspective....I've always thought the team should remove the Native American face from the helmet and keep the name until I read where an actual Native American designed and pitched the logo to the team. The article on it is very interesting. I see you have been a member here forever which I assume means you've been a long time fan of the team? Is there a reason you chose the Redskins as your favorite team? Also, do you feel other teams like Braves, Chiefs should change their names too? 

1 hour ago, skinfan2k said:

My uncle was full blooded Cherokee. Many other relatives are half Cherokee and they all rooted for the Redskins. He felt it was prideful to have an NFL team with ties to his heritage. 
I understand it is very much personal preference on how people felt about the name, but in modern American culture redskins meant one thing the football team in Washington DC nothing else.

the fact that the term was started by native Americans to describe themselves differently then the “white man” is also lost in this country. 

and yes I do understand how people could be offend by this. But in our current society the chiefs, braves and all Other team names that are based on races should be removed not just the one team in DC.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

I don’t want to get into the name issue, but one reason I stood behind the name is because so many Native Americans did and they are the ones who have the best right to have a say. 

I also think a major difficulty with this is that on this issue we treat Native Americans as one culture with on set of experiences. They are not. They are a heterogeneous group of peoples. Some viewed Redskins as an honorific. Others differently. 

That discussion in pro football is over now. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Thank you for this perspective....I've always thought the team should remove the Native American face from the helmet and keep the name until I read where an actual Native American designed and pitched the logo to the team. The article on it is very interesting. I see you have been a member here forever which I assume means you've been a long time fan of the team? Is there a reason you chose the Redskins as your favorite team? Also, do you feel other teams like Braves, Chiefs should change their names too? 

I am fan of this team because i lived in the dc area.  I would be a fan of this team regardless of the last name.   I do think we need to remove Native american monikers from all sports.  I'm glad people can't say that native americans have cursed this team excuse when we suck. 

It's finally over. It's been a long time coming, but this was the last breath of a dying person finally arrived.

This one is a newer account, but I made an account on ES back in 2005 when the forum was officially integrated with the team website and I used to post a ton from 2005-2012. I've never been a fan of Dan Snyder, but it was tolerable for awhile. The losing was painful, but part of the package deal that being a Skins fan was all about. For me, the injury (injuries really) that RGIII sustained in his rookie season, especially the seahawks game, and learning about all the organizational pressure that sacrificed the health, safety, and future of this kid on the alter of making Dan Snyder a buck was what killed my ability to follow this team, and frankly the NFL.

Everything that's come out since has further highlighted that. The appalling, disgusting sexual harassment and assault that has "allegedly" taken place under Dan's petty dictatorship, the way he completely disregards the humanity of everyone around him, both his employees and the general public; it's horrific. How anyone can support this team anymore is beyond me. The NFL is an appalling business organization. Corrupt, disgusting, and broken.

This new name, the new uniforms, the personnel swap in the head office (new names, same awful people and behavior, same Dan Snyder), Snyder having an even larger ownership stake. It's all just the latest in a long, 25+ year downward spiral. The Skins used to be pillars of the community. Now? I barely have words to describe my utter contempt for Dan's organization.

So yeah, it definitely feels like an end. I've watched someone I used to love, who hurt me (and so many other people) finally take their last breath and just die. And it doesn't fill me with any sense of relief. I just feel nothing.

So long folks, I'll always have fond memories of my parents recalling their fond memories of the 1980's Skins. Many of you are great people, and I definitely recognize some old usernames in this thread... would the last one of you please turn out the light when you exit the building? Dan's got bills to pay after all and we wouldn't want to drive up costs for Mr. Snyder...

• Like 5
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Yes, This is the death of an Epic rivalry (Cowboys & Indians) As a Kid Who didn't play C&I.

There are several questions running through my head today:

Does today feel like an end? Yes, I woke up Wed. Mad for no Reason, with a Sunken/pit feeling in my stomach

Will tomorrow feel like the beginning of a new era?Yes & No, Yes A new era so Activists Can target the Chiefs, Blackhawks & Braves

No, because Commanders is Generic, uninspiring & weak

I would've accepted Sentinels & Taylor H. Changing his name to Shane Falco

What attaches a person to a team? Family, Redskins are the team of my father, brother, Uncles

I've always said The relationship you have w/ a sports team is THE worst you'll have in your life

Don't like your job,Quit, Find Another   You Can Dump your Girlfriend,Divorce your wife,  Cut Friends & family out of your Life

You have a say In every relationship in your life. Except w/your sports team, They constantly make decisions you don't like

& you have NO say in the relationship,but you can't turn your back on them

AS you see I've been a fan for long time

P.S. YES I still have that shirt

Jeff1973.JPG

Edited by Mark Moseley
  • Like 8
  • Thumb up 1

21 hours ago, wrecker said:

Well I used to love her, but it's all over now. (Beatles)

Actually, that's the Stones.

On 2/3/2022 at 12:45 AM, Peregrine said:

Basically, I think my NFL facebook status changed to "Available".  Not ready to jump into something and it has to feel right of course.

I find more and more I follow players or sometimes coaches I like rather than a team. Mostly, the teams I pull hard for in any given year are those with ex-Redskins just to spite Comrade Danny...like I want Sean McVay to win multiple SBs.

• 2 weeks later...

I walked around the stadium store on Thursday and I have no interest in buying any of the overpriced, boring new stuff. The Redskins name and logo will not die with me. I'm goin old school and moving forward. The Commanders will be the team I follow but the Redskins will always be my team. I'll be the old man walking on the beach or playing golf in the Redskins hat from this point on. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I never got to witness any of the redskin super bowls but for me a commander super bowl wont feel the same as if i had ever experienced a redskin one thats for sure. I guess ill watch games but i wont be attending any more at the stadium its the end of an era for me more power to the people who diehard for the commanders

• Like 1

A simple change to Redwolves would have been so much easier to digest.  Not to mention that it's a great name for a team formally known as Redskins.  HTTR would have remained and been a bridge to the past.  The helmet and uniform could have been something that really captured the imagination.  And the logo with 1983, 1988, and 1992 on it is stomach turning idiocy.

How much would it have cost the BILLIONAIRE owner to buy the name outright...for the fans?

I can't even say the other name.  To say I am disappointed would be a significant understatement.  I don't know how I feel about the team going forward, because there is no connection to the past.  I don't feel the new name at all.  It is both unimaginative and uninspiring.

Edited by cakmoney61
  • Like 1

Much of what many say they miss about the Redskins, like memories from the glory years, were gone before I officially committed to being a fan in 2002.

Can't miss what you never had.

So no, the name change to Commanders doesn't mean the end of anything to me outside of maybe the fight song.  There's no rule saying we can't wear pigsnouts, or Redskins jerseys, the alumni games will still honor our best players no matter what the name was when they played.

This isn't even the end of the team name being Redskins, that was two years ago.

I'm not sure if it's something new yet until I see if all these Communism and Cobra Commander jokes catch on going into next season and beyond.  Folks may jus be venting or trying to make the most of it, we are clearly in a transition phase, not a hard stop or hard start, imo.

Edited by Renegade7