Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does today feel like an end?

Burgold

In today’s society there’s no way the Redskins could stay. The name was going to change eventually.

The only shocking thing was how quickly it came. If it didn’t affect Dan’s wallet; the name would likely still be the same.

So, Dan had 2 years to come up with a new name and he came up with crap.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ANONYMOUS SOURCE. said:

Redskins I knew died long ago, but honestly all my fond attachment totally coincides with a mental picture of a time when everything was better and was totally skewed by the fact that they won. Start winning and Commanders won’t seem so bad but it will never be the so called good ole days.  

It will always suck as a name.

there was a much easier fix that he refused to do Due to the big money - keep the logo and use the original

name of Braves.

12 hours ago, skinsmarydu said:

This is awful.  I'm okay with keeping WFT.  I'm having a harder time with this than I thought I would. 

I agree, washington football team was not a good name but at least it felt like the same team.

I have no idea who the Commanders are but they didn't win any superbowls when I was a kid or create any fond memories for me.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I agree, washington football team was not a good name but at least it felt like the same team.

I have no idea who the Commanders are but they didn't win any superbowls when I was a kid or create any fond memories for me.

Neither did the Football Team.

I don't get that part of this. The name already changed. The Redskins are gooooooonnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The name was changed 2 seasons ago. 

This is just another name change.

Colors will be similar. Uniforms are essentially a modernization (we hope).

I mean if they are camo that's... weird.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KDawg said:

I don't deny how crazy it sounds but in my mind I can link the two because they've always been Washington they've always played football and they've always been a team.

Nobody ever called them that but that that's what they were.

They were never Commanders and now it just feels like I up and decided to start rooting for a new team which I just can't do.

A little Melodramatic, yup, but it's what is going on in my head through this whole process and I can't seem to figure out a way out of this maze. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't get that part of this. The name already changed. The Redskins are gooooooonnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

The name was changed 2 seasons ago. 

This is just another name change.

Colors will be similar. Uniforms are essentially a modernization (we hope).

I mean if they are camo that's... weird.

Can’t be cammo. Doesn’t fit. Maybe dress uniforms.  😜

53 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

This is perfect for this team. They announce a crappy name after everyone knows what the name is the day after Brian Flores throws a nuclear bomb at the league and will be what everyone will be talking about and the day before Congress investigates the sexual harassment victims.

Most excellent!

i had complete faith this would be a total disaster, so now I feel complete. 

It feels like permission. Permission to let the team go.  I'm 50. My affection was formed in the 80s.  Those days are gone.  The players are gone. The coach is gone. The stadium is gone.  The owner is gone.  Now the name, and literal team is gone.  I'll always have fond memories of the Skins, just like my childhood home.  But we left that house decades ago.

There's no other team im interested in.  Im not changing allegiances.. its just... over now. 

• Like 3

Firing Schottenheimer was the first black mark under Snyder's ownership.  Gibbs 2.0 to Zorn was the second.  Vinny Cerrato and Bruce Allen's entire tenures were next.  Then the RGIII debacle.  The cheerleading scandal.  Letting Cousins walk for nothing.  Now the sexual harassment and continued embarrassment on and off the field.  The "end" was a long time ago.  Take your pick from the above as to when that officially was for you.  Letting Cousins go for nothing was mine.  

• Like 2

I am and always have defined myself as "die hard" but you'd never see me out there banging drums or cheering the team at the airport or whatever. Some are truly die-hard and I have a hard time relating to that level of fandom (for any team, really).

Today changes nothing for me. I'll still root for the team and follow them as much as I did before. The Redskins name wasn't something that I so vehemently defended, and by the end I was apathetic to any name-change debacle. It is what it is. I'll be a Commanders fan. Just win some games. Get a non-dump of a stadium. 5 years from now, if we are a perennial contender, I won't care what the name is.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Firing Schottenheimer was the first black mark under Snyder's ownership.  Gibbs 2.0 to Zorn was the second.  Vinny Cerrato and Bruce Allen's entire tenures were next.  Then the RGIII debacle.  The cheerleading scandal.  Letting Cousins walk for nothing.  Now the sexual harassment and continued embarrassment on and off the field.  The "end" was a long time ago.  Take your pick from the above as to when that officially was for you.  Letting Cousins go for nothing was mine.  

Cheerleading scandal was it for me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sprcr said:

It feels like permission. Permission to let the team go.  I'm 50. My affection was formed in the 80s.  Those days are gone.  The players are gone. The coach is gone. The stadium is gone.  The owner is gone.  Now the name, and literal team is gone.  I'll always have fond memories of the Skins, just like my childhood home.  But we left that house decades ago.

There's no other team im interested in.  Im not changing allegiances.. its just... over now. 

This is kind of where I am as well. The final of a million straws for me was Snyder trying to intimidate the victims into not testifying.  I just can't do this anymore. I tried a few years ago to change to the Ravens. But my heart just wasn't in it. Then they drafted Chase Young and like an idiot I got sucked back in.

But Chase is clearly another Lavar Arrington, they are still the same old tired ass team and this sounds like the perfect time for a clean break.  I'll commit to the Red Zone Channel because the NFL is my favorite sport by far, and root for the Ravens as best I can. But the Washington Commanders can kiss my ass.  

• Sad 1

For me, the end was a long time ago.  I haven't posted on this site in over five years, and that's about the time I stopped following this team on a regular basis.  Part of it was Snyder's many, many blunders, but part of it was the actions of the rest of the league.  I'm tired of the greed of the owners, with the constant demand for new stadiums at taxpayers' expense and/or team relocations, the league's lies about the whole concussion cover-up, the treatment of Kaepernick when he decided to take a stand for minorities yet domestic abusers being welcome back with open arms, and on and on and on.  I felt less and less like a fan and more and more like a mark or a sucker.  I went from planning my Sundays in the fall around the NFL schedule to not even watching the Super Bowl anymore.  I still follow some news about the NFL and the WFT because it's hard to avoid in the DMV area and it's interesting from a cultural/business perspective, but I don't care about the games anymore.  The new team name is terrible, but in a way, that's good news.  It just means I'll be even less tempted to get back into it.  I like having my Sundays back - there are so many better ways to spend a beautiful fall day than to watch this team and league find new ways to exploit its fans and abuse its players.  I'm old enough to remember the glory years in the 80's and early 90's, and I'll always cherish those memories, but that was all a different time, and it's not coming back.  Certainly, I'm not coming back to being a fan either.  Peace to anyone still sticking around.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thirtyfive2seven said:

It feels like an expansion team was created   It even looks like one. 

It kinda does.  Both the Redskins and Baltimore Colts were NFL franchises, and the current Baltimore team came from Cleveland, another NFL franchise before the merger. Sure, the Ravens in the past 25 years have developed the rivalry with the Steelers, but at this point it would almost make sense to swap with the Ravens and put us in the AFC Central.  Steelers, Browns, Bengals, Commanders.  Somehow today I can't even remember all the games this team has played against the Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys.

Just now, Playaction2Sanders said:

Is there even a relationship with the Native American community anymore with the name change? Given it was a bad one now it feels like they don't have keys to this franchise anymore and they can live in anonymity in the football world..  At least in the NFC.

No. I think that cutting all relationships (at least namewise) was a very high priority in this process. It may ultimately have been why nothing in the animal kingdom made the cut.