Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Does today feel like an end?

Burgold

5 hours ago, DJHJR86 said:

Firing Schottenheimer was the first black mark under Snyder's ownership.  Gibbs 2.0 to Zorn was the second.  Vinny Cerrato and Bruce Allen's entire tenures were next.  Then the RGIII debacle.  The cheerleading scandal.  Letting Cousins walk for nothing.  Now the sexual harassment and continued embarrassment on and off the field.  The "end" was a long time ago.  Take your pick from the above as to when that officially was for you.  Letting Cousins go for nothing was mine.  

Don't forget how they handled Trent Williams and how get pennies on the dollar for his value....

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

26 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

It kinda does.  Both the Redskins and Baltimore Colts were NFL franchises, and the current Baltimore team came from Cleveland, another NFL franchise before the merger. Sure, the Ravens in the past 25 years have developed the rivalry with the Steelers, but at this point it would almost make sense to swap with the Ravens and put us in the AFC Central.  Steelers, Browns, Bengals, Commanders.  Somehow today I can't even remember all the games this team has played against the Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys.

This kind of reminds of me how much fun people made of the Ravens as a name when it first came out. People were like, "It's a dirty scavenger bird! Nothing noble about it!" Some kind of liked the Poe connection. RIght now, I think it's one of the better names. At least I never hear anyone hate on it.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Boss_Hogg said:

I feel like the Redskins/Washington Football Team is finally finished. At least with the Football Team we kept the iconic uniforms. 

I cannot relate to this "fresh, hot, clean" or whatever cartoon uniforms. They suck

Yes, I see no sense of continuity in the uniform designs, as many have said we now look and sound like a badly designed generic/stock team in a madden game. A sad day.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, profusion said:

This feels like the final step in a long grieving process over something that died years ago.

It's not just about the new name or uniforms. This is the culmination of a long history of misery. Do you want more of that in your life?

Agree.  From my perspective, today was the funeral held long after the franchise's passing.  Truly a "final nail in the coffin".

• Like 2

There’s a lot of truth in this article from San Antonio, including how Dan even ripped off the defunct AAF team’s hashtag:
https://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/article/washington-football-team-san-antonio-commanders-16825872.php?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mysa_afternoonheadlines&utm_content=news&stn=nf&sid=5936c5f12ddf9c486ef4e673

DF6C9A46-BB8E-4C8E-85EA-A8B6AF83505F.jpeg

Edited by SpiderY2Banana
  • Sad 1

I think I’ll probably follow this team and maybe even silently root for them if they have some success. I’m probably not going out of my way to catch a game, and I’m definitely not buying any merchandise. It’s a stupid name shamelessly seeking unearned military adoration, not that I was enthralled with “Redskins.” For the same reasons I can’t get down with the purple pigeons up 95, I’m not down with my hometown team. 

• Like 3

I supported the Washington Redskins and the Washington Football Team, but I am not a fan of the Washington Commanders. As of now, I do not have a team that I support. It feels strange but it might be for the best for my mental health and my wallet in the long run.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, D’Pablo said:

I think I’ll probably follow this team and maybe even silently root for them if they have some success. I’m probably not going out of my way to catch a game, and I’m definitely not buying any merchandise. It’s a stupid name shamelessly seeking unearned military adoration, not that I was enthralled with “Redskins.” For the same reasons I can’t get down with the purple pigeons up 95, I’m not down with my hometown team. 

I feel like this could have been written by me.  Seems we're in the same head-space. I've even been contemplating following another team.  I'm thinking one that has been around a long time, is an organization I respect (or at least haven't been sickened by over the last 20+ years) and currently suck.  In the lead of my musings currently  is Detroit.

It definitely does feel like a sad day, especially for those of us who experienced the glory years. We've waited 30 to get back to being a top team and it never happened so we tore down the Redskins shop and started over. I'm sure come August we'll all grab onto this name and be ready to go but today was somewhat disappointing and a sad end for me. But I'll tell you this, I'm not boxing up my Redskins gear, the jerseys will continue to be worn as will the hats, pullovers and jackets. We fans can keep the tradition alive.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I supported the Washington Redskins and the Washington Football Team, but I am not a fan of the Washington Commanders. As of now, I do not have a team that I support. It feels strange but it might be for the best for my mental health and my wallet in the long run.

I can support that. Honestly, I can support any decision.

This team has tested us in so many ways. It has pulled at us ethically, in terms of losing, in terms of scandals, in terms of money, in terms of time, and anyone who says, "That's it! Enough!" has the right to say it. They even have the right to come back no questions asked if they change their mind later. 

More, I get it. Like I said in the OP, I think what attaches us to a team isn't really the wins, but the community, the traditions, and most of all the stories. If those stories and traditions now feel cut off for you then it's hard to stay with the team. Just know, you always have a friend waiting if you come back. Heck, you have a friend if you don't come back :cheers:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

This team has tested us in so many ways. It has pulled at us ethically, in terms of losing, in terms of scandals, in terms of money, in terms of time, and anyone who says, "That's it! Enough!" has the right to say it. They even have the right to come back no questions asked if they change their mind later. 

More, I get it. Like I said in the OP, I think what attaches us to a team isn't really the wins, but the community, the traditions, and most of all the stories. If those stories and traditions now feel cut off for you then it's hard to stay with the team. Just know, you always have a friend waiting if you come back. Heck, you have a friend if you don't come back :cheers:

well at least they haven't sued any season ticket holders for Snyder pocket change in a while.  thought that was right nice of 'em lol

1 minute ago, Burgold said:

The issue for me is less the embarrassment of failure than the feeling of dissociation. As you alluded to, the change in branding has made me feel cut off from the legacy that was built as the Redskins and then torn down in subsequent years. There is no longer a feeling of perpetual suffering, only numbness and confusion. I don't know who this team is anymore. 

On the other hand, I still love this board and today has only reinforced that. The reaction here was hardly "measured," but it was honest and real. Extreme indeed, and that is good. I never feel that the fans in this space are less than truthful in the face of corporate doublespeak. For the time being, I intend to keep visiting the site because of the relationships I've developed in my 16 years here, as well as to check in on the fans who have chosen to maintain their fandom. Bless their hearts.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

For sure today as been hard for me.  As many have stated at least with the name "Football Team" it still felt very much like the Redskins, only the logo was replaced by the #'s on the helmet and of course the name itself, but pretty much everything else stayed. 

Today for the 1st time it hit me that it's all gone now, the loyalty to the Redskins is gone, that chapter of history will never be anymore, also today has shown me something that I never understood when teams would leave for different cities and all, as a young child growing up outside of Baltimore I remember when the Colts left (I never was a fan) and seeing their fans respond the way they did, then the Browns leaving for Baltimore and the way their fans responded, well today I too feel that way, truly my heart breaks today cause my beloved Redskins and all that is tied with them is gone. 

Today the team I called my beloved was replaced by a name that means nothing toward the history of the team but as the FO and powers to be want us to think it has everything to do with the surrounding area.  The uniforms are very gimmicky and really look like a XFL or Arena League uni, and the W as the logo on the side of the helmet and on the front of the black helmet is not my cup of tea.  I really was hoping for Red Hogs (as the Red and Hogs meant something of years past with this franchise) or either Red Tails, but it is what it is. 

I was a season ticket holder for many years in Section 414 driving weekly from Hanover Pa and last season knowing the new name reveal was coming my Wife and I chose not to renew, so I didn't go to any game this past season and was just waiting for the new name to be revealed knowing that it would be as easy to pick the phone up and renew again (that right there is a issue/problem as well if you've been a fan long enough to know that Season Tickets meant something) but that will not be happening.

Not only with all the above written has my decision been made up but when I saw the Daniel Synder press conference today and he introduced his Wife as Co-Owner and Partner (not my Wife and Co-Owner) but this guy will never learn what it takes to run a NFL team and for that and all of the above I can and will not any longer support this franchise.  Today marks a closure for me, my Redskins are gone and the Commanders are no more important to me then say the Titans, Colts, Cardinals are.

I write this with a heavy heart and even as a grown man feel a huge loss, but life goes on.  I will not support another NFL team the way I supported the Redskins and Football Team, i'll place all my energy in the Nittany Lions going forward which has always been my favorite College team.

I wasn't a regular on here but have been a member for many years, my 18yr old Daughter is the name I choose when I opened this account and she was a baby, I want to Thank everyone responsable for making this board what is was and is, this board over the years has always brighten things up for what was really some down years lol as a fan.

I write off today wishing everyone Blessings and Joyful times.

HTTR "Hail to the Redskins" forever...and I typed this last section crying lol  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 3

One thing I wanted to add to my last post, and it's a very heavy but important truth that we all learn to embrace at some point: sometimes no matter how patient you are, no matter how long you wait and pray for things to get better, certain people and institutions will always disappoint you. It's not your fault, though you might initially feel that way. Some things are just broken and will never improve for reasons instrisic to what they are. 

I waited 24 years for the Redskins to improve, to become more competent and respectable, for Dan Snyder to become a decent owner. It never happened. The team itself ceased to be before my hopes could be fulfilled. There will never be another Redskins Super Bowl winner. Perhaps another distantly-related team I don't love, but I doubt it. 

To put a positive spin on this, however, it's a good and healthy thing to recognize when things aren't working in your life and to get out of that situation before it can steal more of your joy and hope in situations that really do have a chance of working out. I've been going through a lot in my personal life since this past NFL season started that's forced me to consider who and what I'm better off living without and the ownership of the Washington Commanders made at least one of those decisions easy for me. 

Edited by Bacon
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

It definitely does feel like a sad day, especially for those of us who experienced the glory years. We've waited 30 to get back to being a top team and it never happened so we tore down the Redskins shop and started over. I'm sure come August we'll all grab onto this name and be ready to go but today was somewhat disappointing and a sad end for me. But I'll tell you this, I'm not boxing up my Redskins gear, the jerseys will continue to be worn as will the hats, pullovers and jackets. We fans can keep the tradition alive.

I have spent thousands of dollars on redskins clothing, jackets ect and I have an entire room Of signed redskins a photos and mini helmets . 
I will never spend a dime on this new crap.

I will follow the team can’t imagine rooting for a different team, but if they move to leesburg or further out I’ll be done. And I’ve gone to games every year since 1972.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

No lie, I actually gagged the first time I heard "Washington Commanders" this morning. 

I'll still watch the national TV games and follow the team via podcasts, but won't be buying any of the new gear and will still refer to the team as "Washington" 

It was actually a bit heartbreaking to me this morning, on the way to pre-school one of my daughters wanted me to tell her the "Washington story." Over the last week I had told my kids the story of the 1991 Washington Redskins game by game. 

The only thing was I kept saying "Washington" and NOT "Washington Redskins." She kept getting mad at me (3 year old) for not getting the story right. She kept saying "dad it is Washington Redskins..." 

• Sad 2