Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

C.  Not a lot of cap room

I don’t see cap space as an issue, plenty of contacts to work on if we needed to.

18 minutes ago, Mooka said:

We can find another Humphries this season too.

Guys like that look much different with a QB that can open up the offense. 

I can see Ertz being that this offseason. Same QB/Receiver connection.

Standig podcast today

McKissic is a maybe.  They want to keep him.  He might have multiple suitors.  Wentz isn't a throw checkdowns to RB kind of QB so that might hurt

C. Lucas:  there is a shot he stays more likely leaves for a team willing to make him a starter

Settle:  The team has stayed in touch, he probably leaves but there is a shot he stays

Danny Johnson.  might not be back, he might be able to find more money on the market

Seals-Jones:  mutual interest of him staying and them keeping him unless they sign a TE in FA

Zach Ertz:  Standig mentioned him as a person of interest.  Wentz throws to TEs a lot.  Only Lamar Jackson throws to TE more statistically. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Stance 1:

Our cap space is tight if we're unsure of how good our team is.

Stance 2:

If we thought our team was for sure contention strong, then you lean into the contracts longer term and it gives us lots of cap room this season (at the expense of future flexibility)

I would wager the team is taking Stance 1.  I would argue the fan base is also taking Stance 1, as most fans are unsure of how good (or bad) the Wentz trade was.

3 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig podcast today

McKissic is a maybe.  They want to keep him.  He might have multiple suitors.  Wentz isn't a throw checkdowns to RB kind of QB so that might hurt

C. Lucas:  there is a shot he stays more likely leaves for a team willing to make him a starter

Settle:  The team has stayed in touch, he probably leaves but there is a shot he stays

Danny Johnson.  might not be back, he might be able to find more money on the market

Seals-Jones:  mutual interest of him staying and them keeping him unless they sign a TE in FA

Zach Ertz:  Standig mentioned him as a person of interest.  Wentz throws to TEs a lot.  Only Lamar Jackson throws to TE more statistically. 

Interesting, so Mckissic who has been my #1 resign concern all of a sudden does not really fit due to the Wentz signing. I guess now we really need a bellcow type RB!

My second concern has been our swing tackle and Lucas. I agee he will probably have a shot at a starter someplace. 

Seals-Jones is my third concern, would love to see him back

We have our work cut out for us with but other than MLB, FS/CB and WR they are all key backups. Not that big of a deal, we can do this! 

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Standig podcast today

"Zach Ertz:  Standig mentioned him as a person of interest."

Yikes, "person of interest"!?

What did he do, rob a 7-11?

"Wentz throws to TEs a lot.  Only Lamar Jackson throws to TE more statistically."

Perhaps Wentz/Ertz can be our version of Brady/Gronkowski for the next few years.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

"Zach Ertz:  Standig mentioned him as a person of interest."

Yikes, "person of interest"!?

What did he do, rob a 7-11?

"Wentz throws to TEs a lot.  Only Lamar Jackson throws to TE more statistically."

Perhaps Wentz/Ertz can be our version of Brady/Gronkowski for the next few years.

The wal-mart version of them 

• Haha 1

We should convert Wentz's salary to SB for this year.  I know that pushes dead money into future years if we cut, but not to an unmanageable level :)

Current

2022 28M 

2023 26M

2024 27M

If we convert 15M to signing bonus...cap hits

2022 18M 

2023 31M (can renegotiate again if he's worth keeping)

2024 32M

Edited by DiscoBob
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Stance 1:

Our cap space is tight if we're unsure of how good our team is.

Stance 2:

If we thought our team was for sure contention strong, then you lean into the contracts longer term and it gives us lots of cap room this season (at the expense of future flexibility)

I would wager the team is taking Stance 1.  I would argue the fan base is also taking Stance 1, as most fans are unsure of how good (or bad) the Wentz trade was.

Rivera disagrees with stance one. This was his big swing at QB year because we were largely set elsewhere. Wentz ain’t no Wilson, buts he’s a massive upgrade. No chance Rivera sits on his hands now for 12 months. Got to be tying to go all in right now.

14 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Interesting, so Mckissic who has been my #1 resign concern all of a sudden does not really fit due to the Wentz signing. I guess now we really need a bellcow type RB!

We need to replace that yardage. Ertz would do that. I can see a drafted RB to take the heat off Gibson. 

longshot...they like Melvin Gordon.

I agree with Est.1974, we have gone all in on Wentz getting us to the next level(playoffs), this is why I'm a little concerned about the lack of anything apart from the Wentz trade happening. In my opinion if we go level 2 free agents we finish with 7/8 wins this year. This is a Big year for Rivera and I hope he is going to go big for 2/3 Tier 1 free Agents. We can easily get to 40m cap space with restructures for Wentz, Flowers, Schweitzer and New deals for Payne, McClaurin etc. 

Go All in Rivera 

• Like 1

On TEs .... Washington needs to do something to upgrade.  Bates is essentially a blocking TE and safety outlet.  Reyes is still super-green and untested.  Thomas may not be ready in time to start by pre-season much less build decent chemistry with Wentz.  (Frankly, it remains to be seen if Thomas can even regain his 2021 performance level after his injury.). And RSJ, while a known quantity, isn't that awesome of a TE on which to pin Washington's entire TE offensive production. If Washington can sign RSJ,  they still might need proven depth from one of the decent TE free agents out there --Ertz, Engram, Hurst,  Howard, Everett, or maybe even Alie-Cox, some who might be relatively affordable and likely an upgrade from RSJ.

I feel the TEs will be very important if Turner wants to get decent play out of Wentz.  I feel this because I'm not sold on Washington's O-line being that great for the deep passing game (only 2 quality tackles with no other tackle depth, Roullier coming back from injury, and Scherf leaving). I think we're going to see a lot of 2 TE formations to give Wentz the protection he needs to stay comfortable in the pocket, plus some other options for short outlet passes, in areas opened up by McLaurin, Samuels, or Brown.

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

On TEs .... Washington needs to do something to upgrade.  Bates is essentially a blocking TE and safety outlet.  Reyes is still super-green and untested.  Thomas may not be ready in time to start by pre-season much less build decent chemistry with Wentz.  (Frankly, it remains to be seen if Thomas can even regain his 2021 performance level after his injury.). And RSJ, while a known quantity, isn't that awesome of a TE on which to pin Washington's entire TE offensive production. If Washington can sign RSJ,  they still might need proven depth from one of the decent TE free agents out there --Ertz, Engram, Hurst,  Howard, Everett, or maybe even Alie-Cox, some who might be relatively affordable and likely an upgrade from RSJ.

I feel the TEs will be very important if Turner wants to get decent play out of Wentz.  I feel this because I'm not sold on Washington's O-line being that great for the deep passing game (only 2 quality tackles with no other tackle depth, Roullier coming back from injury, and Scherf leaving). I think we're going to see a lot of 2 TE formations to give Wentz the protection he needs to stay comfortable in the pocket, plus some other options for short outlet passes, in areas opened up by McLaurin, Samuels, or Brown.

Ertz

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I agree with Est.1974, we have gone all in on Wentz getting us to the next level(playoffs), this is why I'm a little concerned about the lack of anything apart from the Wentz trade happening. In my opinion if we go level 2 free agents we finish with 7/8 wins this year. This is a Big year for Rivera and I hope he is going to go big for 2/3 Tier 1 free Agents. We can easily get to 40m cap space with restructures for Wentz, Flowers, Schweitzer and New deals for Payne, McClaurin etc. 

Go All in Rivera 

I dunno. If we go 7-8 wins with Wentz after making no moves, we are saying Wentz is a worse QB than Hienike. After all, Heinike will have gotten us 7 wins with a significantly harder schedule.

If QBs matter, then Wentz should raise the floor to 9 wins all by himself.

NFL Network have some guys asssigned to some teams for FA.  the one covering Washington, was on just now.  The dude was a bit sloppy calling Anthony Walker - Anthony Wilson.  And Cam Sims he called Cam Simmons. 

Do they want another WR to help Terry?

Allen Robinson

DJ Chark

Felt like he was spitballing on that, i seriously doubt they spent big on WR but you never know

Then he talked about Zach Ertz

The talked about how Ron wants a veteran leader at LB and mentioned

Bobby Wagner

L Vander Esch

Anthony Walker

you know how when you like a player but can't afford him anymore you release him early so he's first on the market and can grab the cash?

I think we're doing the opposite with Collins since he was always hurt and so hard to get along with

14 minutes ago, BrentMeisterGeneral said:

Rules out Ertz, I doubt we’d have ever offered him such a package in all fairness

Good.  I didn't want Ertz.  I'd rather resign RSJ for cheap and develop Bates.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Rivera disagrees with stance one. This was his big swing at QB year because we were largely set elsewhere. Wentz ain’t no Wilson, buts he’s a massive upgrade. No chance Rivera sits on his hands now for 12 months. Got to be tying to go all in right now.

We need to replace that yardage. Ertz would do that. I can see a drafted RB to take the heat off Gibson. 

longshot...they like Melvin Gordon.

I really like Gordon and bringing back RSJ

Edited by DWinzit