Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Game Day Thread - Russell's Bum Finger vs The Legend of Taylor Heinicke

TK
Message added by TK,

1511917340_ScreenShot2021-11-29at11_24_22PM.thumb.png.9ff08e320975480226009ee094c5a462.png

4 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Yeah I get the process for a lefty kicker is waaaay different than that for a right footed kicker.  Plus Tress is the normal holder.  Every good team is prepared for an in-game injury like we experienced last night.  If we had been ready we could have iced the game instead of that stomach churning, nail biting last minute that we had last night.

Let’s put it this way.  I bet we practice back up field goals this week. 😁

Right after we practice the Hail Mary drills and before the onsides kicks.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, markmills67 said:

Just a couple of questions for you fellow Redskins, surely there should be someone in the 46 players who can attempt a FG, a miss would have only put the Seahawks on there 13 yard line, not having someone could have cost us badly. 

You can't just trot out any dude in uniform to make a kick.  It's a disservice to actual kickers to think that with minimal to no practice at it, they can go in and kick with the game on the line.  Our actual kickers are getting them blocked on a semi-regular basis.  And they just had one returned earlier in the game.  lol  

Now, I think Way being left-footed made it that much less likely they'd try it.  The whole operation is flipped.  Your backup holder, who probably only practices for the righty, now has to go left.  The whole thing screams disaster.  Rivera made the right decision.  There aren't a lot of WR/DB kickers types floating around.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Rocky21 said:

Yeah I get the process for a lefty kicker is waaaay different than that for a right footed kicker.  Plus Tress is the normal holder.  Every good team is prepared for an in-game injury like we experienced last night.  If we had been ready we could have iced the game instead of that stomach churning, nail biting last minute that we had last night.

Let’s put it this way.  I bet we practice back up field goals this week. 😁

Which teams are ready for an injury to Kickers?

Most often, it's the Punter who does the job and you clearly notice the difference once that happens.

We're not gonna practice back up FG more, we'll look for another Kicker and that's it.

• Like 2

I see a lot about not attempting the FG because Tress Way isn't good at kicking them, but I think that assumes the long snap from our 4th string C would have been good.  It also assumes our OL wouldn't allow so much pressure a line drive kick would be blocked.  

I think the whole field goal kick operation would have been doubtful, at least to the point there is no chip shot gimme.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I really don't get the angst over the kicking situation.

I think the classical poet Robert Frost said it best in his poem The Road Not Taken: "Haters gonna hate".

...I'm pretty sure that was Frost.  Like...70%.  I'm also sporting a hell of a headache, so your mileage may vary,

• Haha 3

48 minutes ago, gbear said:

I see a lot about not attempting the FG because Tress Way isn't good at kicking them, but I think that assumes the long snap from our 4th string C would have been good.  It also assumes our OL wouldn't allow so much pressure a line drive kick would be blocked.  

I think the whole field goal kick operation would have been doubtful, at least to the point there is no chip shot gimme.

I agree with you, but Keith Ismael wouldn't have attempted the long snap. Cam Cheeseman is the dedicated long snapper (every team has one) so he would have taken it.

• Like 1

Everybody loves a fatboy TD when an O-Lineman or D-Lineman scores. Get Tim Settle out there so we can celebrate some fatboy FGs. I bet Settle is twice the kicker Suh is, so he might even get it inside the uprights.

Edited by NickyJ

2 hours ago, Leonard Washington said:

Wagner and the second year LB are monsters. Seattle’s defense delivering some hard hits all game. 99 on Schweitzer was a helluva battle. 

I could not believe how many plays were just stopped cold by a Seattle tackle. Plays that looked good ended suddenly at the point of contact. I was very impressed with their tackling.  

I sure wanted them to try Way on what was essentially an extra point. But damned how in the world did they overturn that TD catch by Thomas, what a great play that was.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, markmills67 said:

Just a couple of questions for you fellow Redskins, surely there should be someone in the 46 players who can attempt a FG, a miss would have only put the Seahawks on there 13 yard line, not having someone could have cost us badly. Secondly how did Schweitzer play at C, he has been a good player at Guard last season and this when needed, when Sherff follows the money next year he would be my 1st choice as his replacement. 

That was a terrible feeling knowing we couldn't take the 11 point lead and end the game. Going forward I hope we have someone on the 53 that can at least toe ball one through from 20 yards.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

It has everything to do with Taylor, when you believe you have a franchise QB you bet on them, not the running game.  We only threw on third down tonight when we had to, why?  Offensive Philosophy? Or protecting your QB?

Look at the play by play for our win streak, third and short is dominated by run plays to the point you can expect it, and Seattle did.  It is working, this happy medium we have found, but its noticeable. 

What is this nonsense?

You didn't post the end of my statement which pointed out how silly my comment was. But thats ok. It was in response to you saying the coaching staff was scared to let Heinicke make a play on the third and one plays.....which is nonsense. Get it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

You didn't post the end of my statement which pointed out how silly my comment was. But thats ok. It was in response to you saying the coaching staff was scared to let Heinicke make a play on the third and one plays.....which is nonsense. Get it?

No, no i don't.  Because they aren't letting him throw on 3rd and 1. 

I jus checked the play by plays for our games going all the way back to Tampa Bay, we are running on 3rd and 1, not passing. 

Do I need to go back further to drive home my point?  Its making us predictable by not letting him even try, why aren't they letting him even try? 

Typically when a team goes ultra conservative like we did last night, it's to avoid turnovers and kill clock, if you trust your QB to do that, you let them do that, too, not jus via the run game.  I've lost count the number of times I've seen other teams use a pass play to end a game versus jus running the clock out and punting to play defense instead, crossing fingers.

Coaching staff is protecting Taylor too much right now, okay it worked, but next week it might not.  Last night it almost didn't. And if its brought up that we are on our 4th string center, does anyone think the Raiders are going to care this Sunday?  I promise you they wont.

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

I'll bet TH could've made a FG from the 10 yard line....something tells me Bates could've made it too? Hopefully RR has some fun after practice one of these days and lines up some guys to see who can kick in an emergency....it's hard to believe Way can't do it.

Way can kick, but he's left footed and holding the ball becomes the issue for the holder.

One play that I was curious about...I think it was the 4th quarter, and Wilson threw a short pass (maybe a screen). The receiver caught it, took a couple of steps, and fumbled out of bounds. I thought it would make it 3rd and 14...but it was 3rd and 10. Did they call that incomplete? If so, I think I would have challenged it. They ended up punting, but I was surprised at how it unfolded. 

I had the sound down, so I didn't hear the call.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

13 minutes ago, moboy36 said:

One play that I was curious about...I think it was the 4th quarter, and Wilson threw a short pass (maybe a screen). The receiver caught it, took a couple of steps, and fumbled out of bounds. I thought it would make it 3rd and 14...but it was 3rd and 10. Did they call that incomplete? If so, I think I would have challenged it. They ended up punting, but I was surprised at how it unfolded. 

I had the sound down, so I didn't hear the call.

It was either ruled incomplete or ESPN in their incompetence didn't update the graphic. Their entire production is amateur hour.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

It was either ruled incomplete or ESPN in their incompetence didn't update the graphic. Their entire production is amateur hour.

Oh yeah. I didn't really think to look at the sticks. I just trusted the graphic. They very well may have been wrong. 

3 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

No, no i don't.  Because they aren't letting him throw on 3rd and 1. 

I jus checked the play by plays for our games going all the way back to Tampa Bay, we are running on 3rd and 1, not passing. 

Do I need to go back further to drive home my point?  Its making us predictable by not letting him even try, why aren't they letting him even try? 

Typically when a team goes ultra conservative like we did last night, it's to avoid turnovers and kill clock, if you trust your QB to do that, you let them do that, too, not jus via the run game.  I've lost count the number of times I've seen other teams use a pass play to end a game versus jus running the clock out and punting to play defense instead, crossing fingers.

Coaching staff is protecting Taylor too much right now, okay it worked, but next week it might not.  Last night it almost didn't. And if its brought up that we are on our 4th string center, does anyone think the Raiders are going to care this Sunday?  I promise you they wont.

I disagree....but thats what forums are for. I think they are doing this because our line can't actually protect the way it should after all the injuries.  

I think he is saying something about a uncalled foul or something.

If you subtract six from our score and two from their score (eg, the touchdown never happened) that is the final score you arrive at, 13 11 sea 

was this the drive that got extended when the seahacks lined up offsides for a punt?

All else being equal, illegitimate points are far more exciting.

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

I think he is saying something about a uncalled foul or something.

If you subtract six from our score and two from their score (eg, the touchdown never happened) that is the final score you arrive at, 13 11 sea 

was this the drive that got extended when the seahacks lined up offsides for a punt?

All else being equal, illegitimate points are far more exciting.

Oh OK thanks. I kept thinking they get the runback 2 points for 9 and couldn't figure where he comes up with the extra 4 points. He should have just said 16-9 (because they probably would have gone for the PAT instead) sheesh.

Edited by BleedBNG