Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am with Russell in that losing the game is better than winning the game.  But the idea if we are endangering this but risking winning the game if they play Heinicke to me is laughable.

Sucks as a starter.  Heinicke is fine as a backup.  You like the idea of Taylor starting next season?

Won games as a starter, No not next year but as a backup yes.  Average starter at best. Do not want another Wentz either. Got to be something better.

7 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

My step dads side of the family is filled with steeler and Raven fans. They were over for Christmas even and they all raved about Taylor. Raven fans were wishing they had him over Huntley. 

the nfl is blissfully unaware of what Taylor actually is 

It really is sorta bizarre. I've seen a couple people like that as well. I think part of it is they sometimes just watch highlights. So they see the couple of fantastic plays Heinicke makes per game, or the insane catches Terry or Dotson bail him out on, and think "wow, this guy is good" without having to sit through the other awful 95% of the game where Heinicke is crap.

7 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

But at what Cost? And the past history here. Then why not keep drafting at it till you hit something instead of paying for castoffs to save the coaches jobs?. Look around elite QB's get drafted all the time in different Rounds and they are on rookie contracts till they prove or get casted off. How are the cast offs doing, by teams that no longer think they are worth the money and why does this team keep dishing it out.  Would be my answer.

Hey, I don't disagree. If it were up to me I'd probably draft a QB in the 1st round every damn year until I landed one. I'm sick to death of retreads. And while there are certainly good QBs who were taken outside of the 1st round, the overall hit rate on QBs outside of the 1st is absolutely abysmal. For every Kirk or Dak there are about 30 mid or late round QBs who did zero.

• Like 3

If I had my way I’d force Rivera to roll wentz out. 

we already know what TH is. 

I would hope the coaching staff has a good enough understanding of where Howell is that throwing him to the wolves like this is completely unnecessary if not meaningless. 

we can’t bring TH back. We should - he’s a great backup. But every time qb1 has a bad outing or drive out idiotic fanbase will start chanting for TH just to make the situation as ****ed up as possible to navigate. he can’t be on the roster next year and that’s a shame. 

i would love to see Howell. I just am worried he has a bad outing and we ruin his career, and for what?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

I don't think Ron is kowtowing to social media pressure.  Couldn't it just be he wants to see how Howell does with the 1's before he makes a final decision?

It could be.     I do think Howell is playing from all indications, the question is how much.  I'd guess at least a half.

Also for me, it doesn't seem nuts for me to make Dallas game plan for Heinicke.  While this is a defacto exhibition game for us, its not for Dallas.  Dallas has to play for the kill.   Do I think it helps Howell some by making Dallas game plan for Heinicke instead of focusing on him?  Maybe.  I've heard defensive coordinators salivate playing a rookie especially in game 1.  Among other things, try to confuse the heck out of them.  If they are going full blast in game prep against Howell, i doubt its the same as preparing for Taylor.  And Quinn is a creative D coordinator. 

If Dallas builds a lead early could they rest their some of their starters?  Maybe.  Dallas is a tough matchup for a rookie starter.  I've been pushing for Howell to start so I am not backing off of that.  But i am not opposed to setting up the game a little to potentially help his confidence. 

Heck part of me wants to see Heinicke for a quarter against Dallas -- while I do like that Wentz flamming out made the decision on him crystal clear.  It created closure.  One of the annoying aftershocks of Wentz's horrid performance is it also elevated the what if aspect of Heinicke's play as if Wentz derailed a team that was on a roll. 

But, they weren't on a roll.  From what I can tell, I don't think Rivera needs to see any closure that Heinicke isn't the guy.  But it seems like the national media and a small but vocal element of our fan base seems to need closure IMO. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

It really is sorta bizarre. I've seen a couple people like that as well. I think part of it is they sometimes just watch highlights.

We’re an irrelevant team. No one pays attention to us outside of prime time games where cris colinsworth drools all over himself about pixy dust and magic. 

our fanbase forgets we’re a joke to the rest of the league. They don’t spend any real effort paying attention to us.

And if you follow tv ratings and stadium attendance - our own fanbase isn’t watching our team either. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

So, how quickly do we cut Wentz?

Before this season started. And th sucks, even at bu if you have decent standards and watch him simply play the position with an appropriately critical eye.

Some of the heinie effect is being starved for anything remotely positive at the position for years.

And then there are some other reasons.

I actually think sip and KDawg have become a little too soft on heinie. And I've explained why I see it this way s number of times so am not moved to do much more lately than occasionally express my low opinion of his talent overall and shake my head at the typical wildly disparate views on qbs here over the years. It's a very ego and emo driven topic. Even more than most.

• Thanks 1

Calling it - we are going to line up Howell wide to get his feet wet. Either he is no where near ready or Ron's an idiot. Heh I guess both can be true. I guess I do need to throw in the high likelihood that the Turner offense is far too complex and that makes him "not ready". Remember Fitz a vet said it was complicated.

Long live the 800 page Al Saunders playbook they dumped on Candle's lap only to purge it for year 2. Yet its always the QBs fault when he fails.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

Won games as a starter, No not next year but as a backup yes.  Average starter at best. Do not want another Wentz either. Got to be something better.

Not sure what that means about another Wentz.  Wentz is Wentz.  Every QB is its own animal.  I can't think of a QB that is available this off season that reminds me per se of Wentz.  Maybe Drew Lock?  But he's a bit different, too.

Average starter at best IMO is generous.  I know from listening to Keim among others the FO-coaching staff doesn't see him that way.  They see him as a back up and if he starts, a low tier starter.   They've for the two off seasons looked to upgrade over him and they already said they are looking to upgrade over him again. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

we already know what TH is. 

I would hope the coaching staff has a good enough understanding of where Howell is that throwing him to the wolves like this is completely unnecessary if not meaningless. 

we can’t bring TH back. We should - he’s a great backup. But every time qb1 has a bad outing or drive out idiotic fanbase will start chanting for TH just to make the situation as ****ed up as possible to navigate. he can’t be on the roster next year and that’s a shame. 

i would love to see Howell. I just am worried he has a bad outing and we ruin his career, and for what?

Yeah I actually feel the same way about Heinicke as I did about Colt Brennan (RIP). Seemed like a good dude, probably a decent backup who had some flashes, but his fans were absolutely insufferable so I wanted him gone (while wishing him the best).

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, tshile said:

And when he gets hurt?

4 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Yeah I actually feel the same way about Heinicke as I did about Colt Brennan (RIP). Seemed like a good dude, probably a decent backup who had some flashes, but his fans were absolutely insufferable so I wanted him gone (while wishing him the best).

These are just traditional Washington fans

I guess I get letting guys rest in a meaningless game but then I think of '96 after we blew a 7-1 start to the season and ending the year 9-7 and in the finale vs Dallas, who had nothing to play for and rested many starters heading into the playoffs, we rolled out with all our starters in a meaningless finale as it was the last in RFK and played some of the most inspired ball we wish we could have seen during the losing streak that cost them the playoffs in a 37-10 rout. I believe Terry Allen ran for like 3 tds that day.

Im not sure if Sunday is going to be a good measuring stick for stick for Howell knowing he's not gonna be playing with many of the starters...

Edited by Playaction2Sanders
  • Thumb up 2

A couple of years ago I was watching a documentary on Tony Romo.  I think the premise was that Tony Romo only became a starting quarterback because of Quincy Carter.  It was a convoluted premise.

Regardless, the point that stuck with me is this.  At some point, the players, or at least the defensive players, nominated Darren Woodson to go to Parcell's office and tell him that he needed to start Romo.  The conversation went something like this (quotes are from my memory and are undoubtedly wrong):

Woodson:  "The team wants you to know that Tony is the best quarterback on the team.  By far.  He eats us up in practice every day."

Parcells: "Don't you think I know that?  But he's not ready to play and if I start him now, it'll ruin him.  And I'm not going to ruin his career."

Another great Parcells moment, from when Phil Simms was a rookie:

Parcells (during pre-game warmups): "If you don't throw two interceptions today, you're not taking enough chances."

Simms: "What?"

Parcells: "If you don't throw two interceptions, you're going to the bench"

(FYI: I've seen variations to these quotes over the years, but the gist is the same)

RR shouldn't be pressured to start Howell just to make fans or media happy.  Playing in a meaningless game for the Commanders doesn't mean anything, good or bad.  He should do whatever he thinks is best for Howell's future based on what he knows about Howell, because he's likely the only returning quarterback for next year.  

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Never doubted my man Rivera for a second!

I always knew old Ron was playing the okey doke all along and Slinging Sam was his guy!

Laughing my old butt off at you fraidy cat fools who doubted good old Mr Ron.

Check my posts out from the last couple'a days defending his courageous leadership, attention to detail, and decision making skills if you doubt me.

(Just dont check too close)  🤓

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Haha 5

Congrats on the Howell start.  I wanted y'all to keep winning so we could get an excuse to play our backup, but instead you got that honor and we're stuck with the curse of fighting for a spot in the playoffs with Jordan Love sitting on the bench not knowing if he's our future.

• Like 1