Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I have zero confidence Ron and Co. can develop a QB who needs to work on "anything", tbh.. So, Purdy looks good. Different staff.  Howell could look worse then he did to begin with and I wouldn't be surprised. Still want to see him play in a real game, with real #1 defenders though. Unless he doesn't know how to walk, skip and run Im not concerned with his footwork. He won't have time to worry about it either, imo. But playing TH again, for all the reasons I've read, seems kinda odd. If he's close to a bonus, I guess that's ok. But I'd let him come in as the backup, to fulfill that. If it's to "keep Dallas from winning the east" Meh. That'd be so "us".. Win a meaningless game, drop in the draft, just to what, keep Dallas from a potential home game? Yikees. I love Ron "the guy" but this is a business. He needs relieved of his current duties. 

edit: And beating Dallas, regardless who plays or what our intent is, is a unicorn type wish at this point. 

Edited by GoDeep81
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

41 minutes ago, KDawg said:

UNC went 6-7. That is the entire reason he fell. It makes no sense whatsoever and in MY opinion, it's a classic example of NFL teams over thinking it.

But now they won't even play the guy.

Why draft him? I'm honestly more frustrated about this (even if it was a different rookie QB in a similar scenario) than I am most other things with this team. 

Thats what happens when you have no OL the QB not only takes the hit, it's his fault here in Washington too as well as the draft. Howell should play he fits this team like a glove. He can run, and if he can pass he should do well.  QB's that can run and avoid the blitz are the now QB's.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

I do think they carry some water for the staff at times. Like the JP crew this week on the after game podcast Pete and Mitch were finally talking about the lack of responsibility and excuses. I hadnt heard anything like that from them before in regards to the staff 

Pete is almost your level hates Rivera and has been that way all season just about.   Pete isn't just turning on him lately.  He also uniquely has a doom and gloom take on the roster similar to you.  Finlay made fun of how doom and gloom Pete is on a segment yesterday.  Junkies have been pretty negative on Ron.   Especially EB.

The other guy who isn't much of a Rivera guy through ups and downs is Craig Hoffman.  

Sheehan sees Rivera almost identical to how I do which is doesn't love but leans positive but sees shortcomings but believe as long as Dan is the owner if he hires someone new its more likely a downgrade not an upgrade.    But like me sees the whole narrative as burying the lead, everything now is about Dan.  Ron will work itself out one way or another. 

Finlay has been mostly kind.   Russell is up and down about him.    Rouhier mixed.  Paulsen mixed but now negative, he's really pissy that Rivera went to the national media to explain after Paulsens press conference question.  Mitchell is negative on him but he also is negative on every coaching staff we've had.   I recall his rants back in the day about Kyle.  Now that he's coaching in SF he praises him. 

Keim and Standig are balanced as usual, tough to tell their takes. 

I'd summarize the local media's takes on Ron.

A.  Most like this roster

B.  Most are mixed on Ron.  They sort of ride like the emotions on the board -- high on Ron during win streaks, low after a loss.

C.  Some like, none love, some mixed, some don't like.

Following this team over the years and the media, I cant recall a coach with so much variance from the local media. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

The media, per usual, was silent as a mouse during the week leading up to the Browns game with regards to how Wentz looked in practice.  When he **** the bed against the Browns, the reports starting coming out about how horrible he looked in practice all week.  Unless it was an owner driven decision, Rivera should lose his job.  I don't think he will, but he should.

Why didn't we have a competition this offseason? Why was Wentz given the role? Its a history with this team. Whether its Ron or Dan or Jay making these decisions, we have a bunch of chosen guys who are put into the starting roles and its like they can mess up all they want cause it will take an act of God to bench them

Wentz - named starter with no competition

Fitz - named starter with no competition

Haskins - named starter with no competition

Keenum - named starter with no competition

Smith - named starter with no competition

Cousins - named starter with no comptition

We have to go back to 2014 to get to a real QB competition. Now, Cousins was good from 2015-2017 so I'm not arguing about naming him the starter cause he earned it, but even the other years

Griffin - named the starter

Beck/Grossman - competition

McNabb - named the starter

Campbell - named the starter - Given he was a starter for 2+ years and had some success but he should have had to compete after coming up short repeatedly. 

Brunell - named the starter after Ramsey benched. 

So we're back to Ramsey/Wurfell/Matthews and only 2 real competition years? 

And we can keep going

George - named the starter with no competition

Johnson - named the starter with no competition

You wonder why we're in QB Hell / Purgatory and this is part of the reason. We keep bringing in these QBs from other teams and giving them starting jobs even though their resumes don't demand it. Heck, Seattle brought in a high priced FA but made him compete with Wilson and he lost. 

People wonder why I'm ok with marginal guys but I see how hard it is to find a good QB. I just want to play the best guy and bench the guy who isn't working. 

4 minutes ago, Zim489 said:

So at this point I am guessing they understand the backlash now which means they are paying attention to social media to form an opinion lol

Maybe.  Could also be a national media guy jumping the gun to be first on a story.

I said earlier today, Keim actually said he knows Howell is going to play on Sunday and believes Heinicke would too.  He put out that podcast before Fowler put out the story so I opined why wouldn't Keim grab the limelight himself?  

Felt like he knew something but it wasn't concrete enough yet to report and was waiting for more info.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Pete is almost your level hates Rivera and has been that way all season just about.   Pete isn't just turning on him lately.  He also uniquely has a doom and gloom take on the roster similar to you.  Finaly made fun of how doom and gloom Pete is on a segment yesterday.  Junkies have been pretty negative on Ron.   Especially EB.

The other guy who isn't much of a Rivera guy through ups and downs is Craig Hoffman.  

Sheehan sees Rivera almost identical to I do which is doesn't love but leans positive but sees shortcomings but believe as long as Dan is the owner if he hires someone new its more likely a downgrade not an upgrade.    

Finlay has been mostly kind.   Russell is up and down about him.    Rouhier mixed.  Paulsen mixed but now negative, he's really pissy that Rivera went to the national media to explain after Paulsens press conference question.  Mitchell is negative on him but he also is negative on every coaching staff we've had.   I recall his rants back in the day about Kyle.  Now that he's coaching in SF he praises him. 

Keim and Standig are balanced as usual, tough to tell their takes. 

I'd summarize the local media's takes on Ron.

A.  Most like this roster

B.  Most are mixed on Ron.  They sort of ride like the emotions on the board -- high on Ron during win streaks, low after a loss.

C.  Some like, none love, some mixed, some don't like.

Following this team over the years and the media, I cant recall a coach with so much variance from the local media. 

This is pretty fair statement across the board. I dont listen to 1067 at all so I cant say. But reporters there are kinda all over the place. Standig I like a lot, probably the most for just base opinion. He's the most even keeled. Keim can be but also completely devoid of opinion as well. The JP crew is a good mix. JP isnt afraid to call a spade a spade and has done so all year. Pete is the most up and down on the entire beat. Mitch is often the most eternal optimist even so much that JP makes fun of it. Thats what kinda piqued my hears up when Mitch started calling out the lack of accountability. Sheehan I cant take any opinion on his coaching seriously regardless of sport. Dude thinks Mark Turgeon is a good basketball coach some how. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zim489 said:

This is pretty fair statement across the board. I dont listen to 1067 at all so I cant say. But reporters there are kinda all over the place. Standig I like a lot, probably the most for just base opinion. He's the most even keeled. Keim can be but also completely devoid of opinion as well. The JP crew is a good mix. JP isnt afraid to call a spade a spade and has done so all year. Pete is the most up and down on the entire beat. Mitch is often the most eternal optimist even so much that JP makes fun of it. Thats what kinda piqued my hears up when Mitch started calling out the lack of accountability. Sheehan I cant take any opinion on his coaching seriously regardless of sport. Dude thinks Mark Turgeon is a good basketball coach some how. 

I'd sum it as the national media loves Rivera. Also loves Heinicke for whatever reason.  They beyond hate Wentz.

Local media mixed on Rivera, up and down, really down on him this week.  Mixed on Taylor but lean negative.   Mixed on Wentz until this week, now they hate him like the national media but not on a personal level. 

• Like 1

Just now, CommanderInTheRye said:

Report:

While Howell is practicing with the first team today, and Heinicke is leading the scout team, Wentz is currently under protective custody at the Anacostia Motel 6 until the season is over.

Carson at the Motel 6

kid observer GIF

:229:The Rook

• Haha 2