Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

4 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

I'm convinced it's because Rivera doesn't want to name a 3rd starting QB. I feel like he alluded to it earlier in the season. 

So promoting a 3rd stringer looks bad and therefore will bring him up after Taylor starts? Who cares. I know I don't. 

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I'd rather see him in that environment. Rookie or not, anyone with a future takes that assignment in stride and handles it. It's about poise, composure, executing the best you can in the face of adversity.

The worst part about this to me is that your taking away his practice time w/ the 1s. All week he should be getting as many reps as he can handle before his first game. Running plays and getting timing w/ the guys he will be throwing to on sunday. Now he is gonna be splitting reps, giving him even a higher hill to climb. Your already throwing him out there vs a stacked D w/ something to play for, at least let him prepare for it to the best of his ability

Does Ron drink? What leads a man to this rationale? Its madness.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, CobraCommander said:

I think Rivera does. I certainly don't and think it's dumb.

Sorry it wasn't directed towards you. But yeah it is really stupid. The season is over and now you are in evaluation mode. Ron is the players coach. He also needs to be a leader with balls too!

Adding to what SIP posted about Keim's podcast: it was interesting what he said about the disconnect between what Ron says he wants/expects from the offense, versus what Norv's son is calling from the booth, including personnel packages during certain types of plays. Keim also hit on a recurring theme from Turner: predictability based on formations. Excellent podcast as always. 

So we’re going to put Heinicke in, wait till we’re down by 3 td’s and the throw Howell out there with the Dallas defense having their ears pinned back and not having to respect the run at all. Good god, how dumb can Ron be…please get this guy the F out of town somehow this offseason. 

• Thanks 2

Last Friday, Commanders quarterbacks coach Ken Zampese raved about the progress Howell has made throughout the season.

"He’s done a great job. I’m really excited to see him," Zampese. "He has so much pride and has worked so hard. You can see the progress that he has made. I can when we are on the field all the time or in the meetings all the time. I really like that he is going where he is going.”

• Like 2

1 hour ago, actorguy1 said:

10. As far as Commanders name, he talked about Guardians (he grew up in Cleveland). At least with Guardians their uniform looked similar and that last season they exceeded expectations and made the playoffs. If something similar happened here it would have been an easier transition.

My friend in Arizona called me up to give me **** about Major Tuddy, of course its stupid. However, it wouldn't have mattered if we had won the game or made it into the playoffs. Remember when gritty came out? Remember how people looked at him? Now he's a national ****ing treasure!

I don't know how Rivera got the "Riverboat Ron" title, this is the most scared, indecisive coach I think we've ever had. The only time he "gambles" is when its the completely wrong decision or its the obviously right decision, but made way too late. Every decision he makes is about making the safest choice possible (in his mind) until its time to make a bad decision. This is his last "no decision" of the season, splitting the game between TH and Howell. Another no balls move from our HC.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Keim brought up Brissette as an option if Heinicke goes somewhere else.  Would he really be that much of an improvement?

12 total touchdowns, 9 total turnovers, 63.8% completion, 89.7 passer rating, 7.19 AY/A:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrisJa00.htm#63-71-sum:stats

13 total touchdowns, 11 total turnovers, 62.2% completion, 89.6 passer rating, 7.06 AY/A:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeinTa00.htm?utm_medium=linker&utm_source=www.profootballrumors.com&utm_campaign=2023-01-04_pfr#25-33-sum:stats

2 minutes ago, DJHJR86 said:

Keim brought up Brissette as an option if Heinicke goes somewhere else.  Would he really be that much of an improvement?

12 total touchdowns, 9 total turnovers, 63.8% completion, 89.7 passer rating, 7.19 AY/A:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BrisJa00.htm#63-71-sum:stats

13 total touchdowns, 11 total turnovers, 62.2% completion, 89.6 passer rating, 7.06 AY/A:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HeinTa00.htm?utm_medium=linker&utm_source=www.profootballrumors.com&utm_campaign=2023-01-04_pfr#25-33-sum:stats

Nope.

If we're going low to mid tier fishing, it's Mayfield or bust.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, HigSkin said:

Hopefully Howell doesn't see it that way, either. Oh, and its awful for the organization, too. Heinicke gets devoured, Howell comes in against the backups and does well... we go into next season with him as our best option because he looked great and then gets destroyed when the competition is for real.

It's just stupid. Either do it or don't. Awful decision.

• Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

I don't know how Rivera got the "Riverboat Ron" title, this is the most scared, indecisive coach I think we've ever had. The only time he "gambles" is when its the completely wrong decision or its the obviously right decision, but made way too late. Every decision he makes is about making the safest choice possible (in his mind) until its time to make a bad decision. This is his last "no decision" of the season, splitting the game between TH and Howell. Another no balls move from our HC.

Back in yesteryear before analytics he would often "gamble" more than other coaches. As we have grown into the analytical age hes doing it the same but has shown to do it in the worst possible times while being often in quadrant of what's called "full of fear" 

3 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Granted I am biased because I like Carr, too.  But it reassures me that he knows this system, likes what he sees from Carr and likes him even more because his brother likes him.  One of the things he mentions fitting plays to the defense and I presume that involves readjusting protections, which Logan Paulsen (and Jay) pointed out in a game that Taylor and this offense struggled with at least in the context of the matchups versus the Giants.

I guess the ultimate question boils down to money $$$.  Carr will likely fetch a top 5-10 QB deal, which puts him at around $35-40MM per year.

Is that even feasible for this team?

I think I'd like to know the status of the staff, system, oline etc before I weigh in on the QB situation.  I do like Carr, but the thought of trying another high priced free agent or trade type deal seems insane to me, but I guess what are the alternatives...  Beggars cant be too picky 😩