Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

30 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Holy crap. Jimmy Garappolo is a better quarterback than Carson Wentz. 

If we're going by that game, looks like Stafford isn't that much better than Wentz. 6 sacks by the 49ers so far. Dude should just retire, he's washed.

Edited by NickyJ

15 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  He was damaged goods but Scot here wasn't even a true GM so I can't even give Dan that.  Bruce was the GM.  Scot was basically an underling top scout.  

The dudes in charge with final say of personnel for Dan's tenure have been mostly Bruce and Vinny.  With interludes of coach centric runs of Marty, Shanny, Rivera, Gibbs.

Sadlly it was the Bruce-Vinny era where Dan had the biggest reputaion for meddling with personnel.

It's been a freaking disaster. 

C'mon SIP.    You know Scot was responsible for the horrendous draft picks and FA signings.    I bet he still thinks Matt Jones can play.  

35 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Way before the wentz move I was hoping we'd go after jimmy though I figured he was to smart to come to this sinkhole. I hadn't been thinking of wentz as a candidate then, and would still rather have Jimmy than him.

Part Deux: to the participants, enough of the ot irsay blather. 

42 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He's bad but not that bad.  Colts actuallly have won with Irsay 

Okay.  Skins  -- defend your statement.  The W--L  numbers in the AFC-south justify the Irsays' years of 'behavior?

• Confused 2

12 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

C'mon SIP.    You know Scot was responsible for the horrendous draft picks and FA signings.    I bet he still thinks Matt Jones can play.  

I liked draft #1 from hiim but not #2.  But regardless, not sure why its relevant to the discussion?  You were defending Dan as you sometimes do but suggesting that Dan indeed has hired a top personnel guy to run this team.  I was saying that it isn't true.  But I'll give Dan that it was the closest he got to the idea but Scot still wasn't in charge.

7 minutes ago, Wyvern said:

Okay.  Skins  -- defend your statement.  The W--L  numbers in the AFC-south justify the Irsays' years of 'behavior?

You are on a weird trip on this.  Quote me where I defended Irsay's behavior.   It's beyond strange that you are indignant about statements I haven't even made.  I've probably taken more shots on Irsay on this thread than anyone.  But supposedly I like him now because I don't agree that he is the worst owner in the NFL and I firmly believe its Dan?

Yes I do believe Dan is the worst owner in the NFL.  I am not going to apologize for that take.   And if you want to make the case that Irsay is a worse person than Dan -- maybe that's so but that's not the debate.  But Dan IMO is a worse owner.  And as a person Dan is a well documented douche.    

Edited by Skinsinparadise

After seeing the defending Super Bowl champion's QB get dunked on by the QB people wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole, I'm going to go out on a limb and say some QBs can look pretty bad if their O-Line lets them down. I don't love Wentz, but if Stafford put up those numbers here, I probably wouldn't love him this week either.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

They were two horrible throws yes. However, the flags were the correct call. 

Not arguing they weren’t penalties, they were horrible rushed throws that got intercepted.

1 hour ago, Dan T. said:

If Jimmy G tried to throw 40 passes behind this line he would die, not hurt dead.

Since we are not a qb and a player here and there away from being competitive so we rebuild the oline in the offseason or use our high pick on a qb, if qb i def don’t want young or stroud..I want Caleb williams guess he’s not available till 2024 :(

Edited by CjSuAvE22

1 hour ago, Warhead36 said:

Shanahan might be the best playcaller in the league. Turner isn't in the same universe. Remember this is the same Shanahan that actually created a somewhat productive offense with Rex Grossman and Jabar Gaffney back in 2011.

Not only that but you can see where he has matured in his designs and play calling (if he still is even the play caller?) I thought he designed good stuff here, but he would be susceptible to throwing in "cutesy" plays at the worst times for no reasons. He has really cleaned that up.   

Edited by NoCalMike

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Steelers announce they're rolling with Pickett regardless of the putrid offensive line that can't create holes for Najee Harris. Time to go to Howell in DC.

Not yet, for me they'd have to improve the O Line first if the O line can be stabilised (unlikely) and Wentz is still faltering, I'd initially move to Heinicke to ensure that Wentz doesn't get above that 70% snap count that means we have to give Indi a second. Then maybe give Howell a cameo or two towards the end of a lost season to see how how responds

• Like 2

I was very hopeful for Wentz. Did not like the trade to begin with but warmed up to it if for no other reason than it as the best option at the time. There is still a real Oline issue that does not look like it's getting better. Now one of his best weapons Dotson is out. Cosmi is also out which hurts an already thin Oline. Things look bleak. But 18 pts in 2 gms against division rivals will not cut it, forget the excuses. 

I would give him the Titans and the Bears since it's a short turn around. If no significant improvement then get Howell ready over the mini bye. Bench Carson so he does not get to 70% then cut him at the end of the year. No lingering repercussions. If Howell lights it up, then build on that with Oline, Oline Oline. If Howell is the backup he most likely is, use all you have to get the best QB in the draft if at all possible. 

People need to just stop it with Taylor H lol. There is no reason for him to see the field unless there is no other choice. As I said above, if Wentz does not figure it out in the next few games, then put in Howell. WTF are we protecting him against? Getting mauled? OK, **** happens. It's the NFL not the ballet. If he can't handle it mentally then he has no future in the NFL. There is no mystery left for Taylor. We know he is NOT an NFL starting QB. And he will never be one. 

You guys blaming the oline are wrong. Good qbs make bad olines look good. And Stafford had a bad game, he’s also basically only able to trust one wide receiver to throw to. Wentz problem isn’t the oline, it’s him being complete trash and us wasting $ on him because Snyder probably thought he was getting 2017 wentz. 

• Thumb down 1

Matt Stafford's few bad games is not even remotely comparable to a career history of holding the ball too long, taking unnecessary sacks, and refusing to throw the easy throws.  And it's much worse when Wentz is operating in a system other than Frank Reich's.  We're going to get the 2020 version of Wentz, not 2017.

54 minutes ago, skins4ever28 said:

You guys blaming the oline are wrong. Good qbs make bad olines look good. And Stafford had a bad game, he’s also basically only able to trust one wide receiver to throw to. Wentz problem isn’t the oline, it’s him being complete trash and us wasting $ on him because Snyder probably thought he was getting 2017 wentz. 

We all know Carson is not good enough to be here next year just like FR last year. So why not give Howell a chance?? And not Taylor either. He’s shown we can’t get wins with him also. 

I hate hate hate the modern era in which QBs are never trusted to call a single play yet coaches are deathly afraid of sitting them. And preach tempo while religiously radioing in a long azzz play call name. I bet Carson is kicking himself for forgetting to ask if he would at least be able to call pre-chosen audibles. Big fat nope - there are no audibles in The Turner Offense LLC.

I remember years ago goal to go our QB audibled to a fade 2 or 3 times in a row. Presume to our shortest WR who never caught an end zone fade and our QB that couldn't throw one. Asked about it after the game said - we only have one audible.

Welp now we have zero and it sucks. How can Reid be so creative with his QBs and play calling while ours is handcuffed?  A QB making even fake calls at the LOS can confuse a defender - maybe get a blitz called off. But DCs never ever have to worry about audibles called when playing the salamanders. Yep we change team colors faster than a salamander.

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, NickyJ said:

If we're going by that game, looks like Stafford isn't that much better than Wentz. 6 sacks by the 49ers so far. Dude should just retire, he's washed.

The only comparison here is that Stafford had NO time to throw the ball either last night.  He wasn't looking so hot behind his O line. They couldn't even score a TD and he was sacked 7 times. You can blame Stafford, sure but I guarantee the media won't. They will accurately point out the regression/poor play of his O line this year. You won't hear that for Wentz, even though it is 100% true. 

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

I hate hate hate the modern era in which QBs are never trusted to call a single play yet coaches are deathly afraid of sitting them. And preach tempo while religiously radioing in a long azzz play call name. I bet Carson is kicking himself for forgetting to ask if he would at least be able to call pre-chosen audibles. Big fat nope - there are no audibles in The Turner Offense LLC.

I remember years ago goal to go our QB audibled to a fade 2 or 3 times in a row. Presume to our shortest WR who never caught an end zone fade and our QB that couldn't throw one. Asked about it after the game said - we only have one audible.

I'm pretty sure that was Gruden. Think Santana moss was one target, Ryan grant was another, can't recall the third.

Was funny to me just because of how much people on here were ****ing before that game about this team never throwing fades. 

• Like 1

Heard this today (Ross Tucker): less than two years ago the Eagles finished 4-11-1, now they have arguably the best roster in the NFL from top to bottom. Roseman is getting credit for reshaping the roster, starting with dealing Wentz.

Why can't that happen in DC? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, skins4ever28 said:

He just had a bad game? His OL was terrible so he was terrible. 

How do you beat a good QB? Rush him and hit him. That formula beats everyone. 

on one hand you say it’s an excuse for one QB, then it’s just bad game for another.

IT’S OUR OL, fix that and we have a chance.

9 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Heard this today (Ross Tucker): less than two years ago the Eagles finished 4-11-1, now they have arguably the best roster in the NFL from top to bottom. Roseman is getting credit for reshaping the roster, starting with dealing Wentz.

Because we have a below level talent evaluator!

• Like 1

Obviously not comparing Wentz to Brady or anything, but look at the Superbowls that Brady didn't win and what was the common denominator? A D-line and pass rush that could get after him.  It didn't turn him into a terrible QB, but there was a major difference between a Tom Brady that had to avoid/feel the pass rush a handful of times a game behind a wall of an O-line and a Tom Brady that had to constantly be worried about being hit if not sacked.   Whether you are a Top 5 QB or right smack in the middle of the pack for starting QB's int he league, if you play behind a poor O-line it is going to affect your play.  Certain QB's have more tools in their arsenal to get around poor O-line play, but that doesn't mean the O-line play isn't poor.  

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Two words. Dan Snyder. 

• Like 1