Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

36 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Ryan, he's had three seasons that were like Wentz 2017 season.  Elite level play.  Not very good.  Elite.   10 seasons with over 4000 yards, most of which were 4500 and up.  9 seasons of 25 plus TDs, including topping 30.  Almost a 95 career QB rating.  

The Alex Smith, Brunell comparisons that I've seeh here by some months ago -- to each their own -- but IMO Ryan is on another planet from them.  Alex had statisitically a career game just about against the Lions a couple of years ago, with 300 yards plus.   Alex's borderline career game, Ryan has had a zillion of. Do you recall what happened when in 2018 it was Alex versus Ryan and it turned into a shoot out?  Alex with one season over 4000 and just barely.  One season over 25 Tds, that's it.

Not to pick on Alex.  But I recall some posts that it would be the same old, similar signing to the previous ones.  IMO not at all.  Except for the age part -- getting a player at their end of their career.  Ryan is not only a Hall of Famer IMO but I think its an easy call.  

I think he's suffering from some recency effect perception wise where in his later years, he's been more of a 12-16 type QB and that brush in turn is painted now for his full career.  But for most of his career, he's been considered a top 10 QB.

I do think the Colts are getting carried away acting like they are getting Tom Brady in the fold.  But as for a player, IMHO some people underestimate him.  He's no McNabb, Alex or Brunell to say he crushes all three of them statisitcally would be an understatement.

I do think the national media and the Colts are over the top about his prowess this late in his career.  But will see.  

https://bloggingdirty.com/2022/03/21/3-reasons-matt-ryan-headed-hall-fame/4/

3 Reasons Matt Ryan should be headed to the Hall-of-Fame

• 59,735 Career Passing Yards 
  • 2016 MVP
  • 367-Touchdowns Thrown 
  • 2008 OROY 
  • 2016 OPOY 
  • 42-Game winning drives  
  • Owns most passing yards through a player’s first 14-seasons in NFL history 
  • Surpassed 4,000-passing yards from 2011-2020 only Drew Brees accomplished this as well 
  • 10th QB in NFL history to surpass 50,000-passing yards 

When Ryan’s career is over how can you keep him out of the Hall with the company he will be in?

Matt Ryan is currently 8th on the all-time passing yardage chart trailing only Phillip Rivers, Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady. If he remains healthy over the next three seasons when all is said and done Ryan will end his career in the top five. If his career ended today he would be a top ten passer in nearly every major category.

He should pass Rivers and Marino in yardage this season and could pass Roethlisberger this year with a great season.  If not Ryan will easily pass him during the 2023 season and end his career as a top-five passer of all time.

Get this....If Ryan makes the HOF we will be saying that Taylor Heinicke beat 3 HOF QB's in the same season, 2021: (Brady, Ryan and Russell Wilson)....

• Haha 3
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I am alarmed at the implications of that warm up drill for Wentz. Building that muscle memory.

He probably building up synovial fluid in his shoulders, which is a normal part of warming up the body.

19 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

And Daniel Jones....

Ha Ha Smile GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

As for Ryan, he's had three seasons that were like Wentz 2017 season.  Elite level play.  Not very good.  Elite.   10 seasons with over 4000 yards, most of which were 4500 and up.  9 seasons of 25 plus TDs, including topping 30.  Almost a 95 career QB rating.  

The Alex Smith, Brunell comparisons that I've seen here by some months ago -- to each their own -- but IMO Ryan is on another planet from them.  Alex had statisitically a career game just about against the Lions a couple of years ago, with 300 yards plus, i think he has only a few like that in his career if I recall at the time.   Alex's borderline career game, Ryan has had a zillion of. Do you recall what happened when in 2018 it was Alex versus Ryan and it turned into a shoot out?  Alex with one season over 4000 and just barely.  One season over 25 Tds, that's it.

Not to pick on Alex.  But I recall some posts that it would be the same old, similar signing to the previous ones.  IMO not at all.  Except for the age part -- getting a player at their end of their career.  Ryan is not only a Hall of Famer IMO but I think its an easy call.  

I think he's suffering from some recency effect perception wise where in his later years, he's been more of a 12-16 type QB and that brush in turn is painted now for his full career.  But for most of his career, he's been considered a top 10 QB.

I do think the Colts are getting carried away acting like they are getting Tom Brady in the fold.  But as for a player, IMHO some people underestimate him.  He's no McNabb, Alex or Brunell to say he crushes all three of them statisitcally would be an understatement.

I do think the national media and the Colts are over the top about his prowess this late in his career.  But will see.  

• 2016 MVP
  • 367-Touchdowns Thrown 
  • 2008 OROY 
  • 2016 OPOY 
  • 42-Game winning drives  
  • Surpassed 4,000-passing yards from 2011-2020 only Drew Brees accomplished this as well 

When Ryan’s career is over how can you keep him out of the Hall with the company he will be in?

Matt Ryan is currently 8th on the all-time passing yardage chart trailing only Phillip Rivers, Dan Marino, Ben Roethlisberger, Brett Farve, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, and Tom Brady. If he remains healthy over the next three seasons when all is said and done Ryan will end his career in the top five. If his career ended today he would be a top ten passer in nearly every major category.

He should pass Rivers and Marino in yardage this season and could pass Roethlisberger this year with a great season.  If not Ryan will easily pass him during the 2023 season and end his career as a top-five passer of all time.

One of my issues with Ryan is that he'll throw for tons of yards, is accurate, but has really never put up nearly the kinds of TDs he should have with all those yards. That's why I say I've never seen him as a "dominant" QB who truly scared anyone.

Sure, he may be close to Peyton, Brees, and Brady in yards but Peyton also had 9 seasons throwing for 30 or more TDs to go with that, while Brees and Brady both had 10 seasons with over 30 TDs. All three of those guys have also had 2 or more seasons with 40 or more TDs. Ryan has had 2 seasons with over 30 TDs.

So to me Ryan has underperformed with how much he's done with all those yards. Kirk Cousins has thrown for tons of yards and in less years than Ryan has already has one more season of 30 or more TDs. So if you're going to put Matt Ryan in the HoF then that means Kirk should be there too when he retires.

To me, Ryan is essentially a paper tiger. Throws for tons of yards, but never truly dominated or threw for lots of TDs. I personally don't think that deserves a HoF nod. But to each their own, and as you know I respect your opinion. 

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2

Ryan is a fringe MVP-er at this point. On the tier of a guy like say Phillip Rivers.

The issue is his prime coincided with Rodgers, Brees, and Roethlisberger and all three are better and HOF locks. Then you have guys like Wilson who is on track and Stafford who might be able to get in with a late career renaissance now that he's on a good team. How many QBs from one generation you gonna put in? 

HOTTAKE BUT SHOULDNT BE: So is TH now the greatest second coming based on one pre-season game, and Howell is terrible, or did we realize how crazy the takes were on one overhyped mediocre passer having one rushing TD in 1 preseason game against third stringers?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

HOTTAKE BUT SHOULDNT BE: So is TH now the greatest second coming based on one pre-season game, and Howell is terrible, or did we realize how crazy the takes were on one overhyped mediocre passer having one rushing TD in 1 preseason game against third stringers?

If you can’t see how much more gifted Howell is than TH…I don’t know what to say. And that includes the bad INT. Kid made some nice throws.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

That’s two rushing TDs in one preseason game, sir!

I liked Howell today.  He had some highs and lows which should be expected.  He has a ways to go, but has some traits to work with.

TH can do some things when he has space at his feet to drive the ball.  He looked solid today.

I’d keep all three heading into the season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

51 minutes ago, Peregrine said:

It’s definitely a take. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Peregrine said:

On what basis was Howell terrible? I thought he played fine for a rookie in his 2nd NFL action ever. Yes the INT was fugly, but he also had some really nice passes, including the deep shot that he basically dropped into Brown's lap but a combination of Brown not going after the ball and the DB making a good play led to an incompletion. 

I don't think there are any "hot" or "cold" takes on Heinicke. He's already a known quantity and there's probably not much new to learn.

In terms of backup QBs coming in off the bench DURING a game, I'd take Heinicke over 90% of the backup QBs in the league.  It's starting 5-6 games after that in a row where it gets a little questionable.  So if Wentz goes down during a game, I have full confidence that Heinicke can come in and hold it down and give us a chance to win that particular game.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

The Alex Smith, Brunell comparisons that I've seen here by some months ago -- to each their own -- but IMO Ryan is on another planet from them.  Alex had statisitically a career game just about against the Lions a couple of years ago, with 300 yards plus, i think he has only a few like that in his career if I recall at the time.   Alex's borderline career game, Ryan has had a zillion of. Do you recall what happened when in 2018 it was Alex versus Ryan and it turned into a shoot out?  Alex with one season over 4000 and just barely.  One season over 25 Tds, that's it.

• 2016 MVP
  • 367-Touchdowns Thrown 
  • 2008 OROY 
  • 2016 OPOY 
  • 42-Game winning drives  

I think Ryan just needed to win that SB against the Patriots because we overvalue SBs when it comes to QBs.  He's got basically every other measure that folks look for except for that.  Because he's a much better QB than say, Troy Aikman ever was, who game managed his way to the HoF.  He was on a great team and he didn't get in the way and screw it up.

2 hours ago, justice98 said:

I think Ryan just needed to win that SB against the Patriots because we overvalue SBs when it comes to QBs.  He's got basically every other measure that folks look for except for that.  Because he's a much better QB than say, Troy Aikman ever was, who game managed his way to the HoF.  He was on a great team and he didn't get in the way and screw it up.

Aikman was one of the few QBs who got better in the playoffs with each game he played, and had his best games in the Super Bowls. That’s a big reason why he’s in the HOF.

5 hours ago, justice98 said:

NFL fans are trolling the Falcons on 3-28 day

6 hours ago, Peregrine said:

My takes were based on watching every college game howell played and knowing what type of person he is. Not the first preseason game. He will actually continue to improve unlike a lot of other QBs.

13 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

If you can’t see how much more gifted Howell is than TH…I don’t know what to say. And that includes the bad INT. Kid made some nice throws.

He's done a great job missing half his throws against guys who will never play in the NFL.  Having a strong arm is a fools gold gift in the NFL, and if you can't see that TH understands the game 10 times better to make up for that....I don't know what to say

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

Just now, Peregrine said:

He's done a great job missing half his throws against guys who will never play in the NFL.  Having a strong arm is a fools gold gift in the NFL, and if you can't see that TH understands the game 10 times better to make up for that....I don't know what to say

So TH understands the game 10x better than Howell to make up for his noodle arm.

I wonder why no teams came calling for TH when we signed Wentz and drafted Howell.  The FO’s across the NFL are clearly several steps behind you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mistertim said:

On what basis was Howell terrible? I thought he played fine for a rookie in his 2nd NFL action ever. Yes the INT was fugly, but he also had some really nice passes, including the deep shot that he basically dropped into Brown's lap but a combination of Brown not going after the ball and the DB making a good play led to an incompletion. 

On the basis that if Wentz had done that against third stringers all of the posters here would have called it terrible and would have been calling for Howell to get 1st team reps

• Haha 1

After the mediocre start to camp Pickett has really come on in the preseason, wonder if he beats Trubisky after all

12 hours ago, justice98 said:

Agree.  I think the other misperception that some have of Ryan is that he's a statue.  He isn't.  He's not fast or mobile but he's more mobile than other pocket QBs like Brady, Brees, Manning, etc.  He's run for almost twice the yards that Brees has for example.  Is he mobile?  Nope.  But some act like he's the perfect example of being a statue in the pocket -- that's not true. 

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

So a 29 year old QB who has 6 years of experience has a better grasp of playing in the NFL than a 21 year old playing in his 2nd preseason game? That's a super hot take. 

2 hours ago, Peregrine said:

On the basis that if Wentz had done that against third stringers all of the posters here would have called it terrible and would have been calling for Howell to get 1st team reps

Why are we comparing a rookie who's seeing his 2nd NFL action ever to a starter who's been playing since 2016? Rookies make stupid mistakes, against starters, against backups. It was a stupid mistake.

Wentz will probably make a few boneheaded mistakes this season. Outside of a few reactionary posts in game day threads, I doubt anyone will be screaming for Howell due to it.

I see the Hive is still alive and well. Maybe we'll see the illustrious return of ODUAGGIE soon.  :ols:

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

I kind of hope that the Washington fans on this message board can tamp down their criticism of Ryan .  He's been a high-tier QB for most of his career, and seems to be very professional in his high-visibility role as an NFL QB.  Just because Irsay has been badmouthing Wentz, doesn't mean Washington fans have to be badmouth Ryan, and hope that he fails miserably.  We don't have to sink to Irsay's level.  (Frankly, I just don't care how the Colts do; my only hope is that Ryan and the Colts flop whenever they play Washington.)

When it comes to Ryan's 2022-2023 season, I don't think we have to descend to treating him as "sour grapes" or even hoping those grapes turn "sour" this season. I think Ryan is nearing the end of his career, or at least starting the erosion of the high level of physical skills needed to be a top-tier QB.  If so,  the "win now"  Colts might be a better fit for him at this stage in his life.  I don't think he'd have been as good a fit in Washington, I think Ron's team is close, but still developing.

Bottom line: If Irsay was to get his dues, I'd feel better  if it was by Wentz doing great this season, rather than by Ryan crashing and burning.

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2