Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Panthers absolutely made the right call to get Mayfield. Yes, their season would have been sunk either way if it was between the rookie and the ghost buster, but now they don't even have the rookie. They need a new backup QB. Darnold has the personality of a broken soul. They need someone else who has heart. Who has moxie. Who has enough joy to dive down in front of the endzone and still celebrate just out of love of the game.

They need Tay Tay.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Even Russell now goofing on those that say Carson is a bad QB.   And Ruseel after Sheehan is probably the lowest on Wentz among the locals.  Russell saying if you want to see a bad QB watch Sam Darnold -- and Wentz is 10 times better than him.

Personally, I think the national media (and ironically Sheehan too) has little credibility on these QB transactions for multiple reasons and one of them is them lauding the Darnold deal last year.   And heck they still aren't as harsh about the deal as they should be I gather in part because they'd have to eat crow on it. 

This is something I knew was going to happen as the media realized that their promoting of negative spins on Wentz wasn't sticking, and especially with the class Wentz has shown and with him playing well so far, they look really bad if they continue with this spiral. 

I haven't heard Russel because he's over the top for me (but I do like Pete), but listening to Keim and Sheehan made me mad because he is the main guy going negative, and then he went negative again with the segment on of Wentz does as last year what will happen. He predicted playoffs and his producer said 8 wins then they started ragging on him and his potential. 

But before it was the he couldn't take the checkdowns. Now it's that we need to win the first 2 games. Watch we're going to go on a streak to start the season and there will be a bunch of hoops the media will say he needs to jump through (number of tds per game, yards per game, terry catches, Johan catches, 4th quarter stats etc) and it's not until the year is over until they'll say he was good. It's always going to be wait for the shoe to drop. 

15 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Ridder was another guyi liked. I was low on Pickett though, do that's a miss so far. 

For me, I didn't love or hate any of the top 5.  I could see them working or failing.

I was a little lower on Pickett than most, but not that low on him.  The thing I hyped about Pickett was his personality and intangibles.  He was my favorite QB on that front.

I liked Corral more than most.  I liked Howell more than most.  I started with Corral as my top guy but his bad Wonderlic score and mixed takes I heard about about his personality made me sour on him some as the draft got closer.  Willis ended up my #1 QB but he didn't start that way.  Ridder i was back and forth on him, i pushed him quite a bit 2 years ago more so than last year -- he's my 2nd favorite personality though among these QBs (after Pickett) but his on and off accurracy bothered me.

I am not living and dying by the preseason though for any of these guys -- good or bad.  Will see how it unfolds. 

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

This is something I knew was going to happen as the media realized that their promoting of negative spins on Wentz wasn't sticking, and especially with the class Wentz has shown and with him playing well so far, they look really bad if they continue with this spiral. 

I haven't heard Russel because he's over the top for me (but I do like Pete), but listening to Keim and Sheehan made me mad because he is the main guy going negative, and then he went negative again with the segment on of Wentz does as last year what will happen. He predicted playoffs and his producer said 8 wins then they started ragging on him and his potential. 

But before it was the he couldn't take the checkdowns. Now it's that we need to win the first 2 games. Watch we're going to go on a streak to start the season and there will be a bunch of hoops the media will say he needs to jump through (number of tds per game, yards per game, terry catches, Johan catches, 4th quarter stats etc) and it's not until the year is over until they'll say he was good. It's always going to be wait for the shoe to drop. 

I thought it was weird for Sheehan of all people to challange Keim that there exists this negative narrative about Wentz saying he's a bad QB -- considering Sheehan himself has pushed that very narrative.  Also its Sheehan who loves the narrative of if the Eagles and Colts wanted Wentz gone -- enough said, no need to think deeper after that.  

Sheehan though is getting somewhat schizophrenic about Wentz because every now and then recently he praises Wentz and then resorts back to the negativty.  No one locally is on a weirder ride IMO with Wentz than Sheehan. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am not living and dying by the preseason though for any of these guys -- good or bad.  Will see how it unfolds. 

The preseason looks better for these guys than say Mond. It's really nothing though. I value starting experience though and both Howell and Ridder had that and played well for a while. I feel like the thing about rookie QBs is that unless you're watching them play you're going to get a bad impression of them unless they're great from the beginning because their stats are going to be bad. But seeing Ridder's ball placement in that game was beautiful. I don't know how well he ran the ball but I know that was a skill of his. I'm not as high on Willis because of his height and his being raw. But he's probably not going to play this year. I'm curious to see of any rookie QBs play this year honestly. 

1 minute ago, Thinking Skins said:

The preseason looks better for these guys than say Mond. It's really nothing though. I value starting experience though and both Howell and Ridder had that and played well for a while. I feel like the thing about rookie QBs is that unless you're watching them play you're going to get a bad impression of them unless they're great from the beginning because their stats are going to be bad. But seeing Ridder's ball placement in that game was beautiful. I don't know how well he ran the ball but I know that was a skill of his. I'm not as high on Willis because of his height and his being raw. But he's probably not going to play this year. I'm curious to see of any rookie QBs play this year honestly. 

Probably the only one I can see playing this year is Pickett.. and that's if MT craps the bed in Pittsburgh which isn't a far fetched idea.

Very curious about this bad QB draft class.

Pickett and Ridder were my top two QB's, with Ridder being #1. I thought Pickett had the highest chance of being an average NFL QB from the class. If he is average, then he's absolutely worth the #20 pick in the draft the Steelers used. Average QB play with the salary of pick #20? That's a steal. You're just looking again for a new QB in 4-5 years, but average ain't bad. Average QB play on a good team can get lucky in the playoffs every now and then.

39 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

For me, I didn't love or hate any of the top 5.  I could see them working or failing.

I was a little lower on Pickett than most, but not that low on him.  The thing I hyped about Pickett was his personality and intangibles.  He was my favorite QB on that front.

I liked Corral more than most.  I liked Howell more than most.  I started with Corral as my top guy but his bad Wonderlic score and mixed takes I heard about about his personality made me sour on him some as the draft got closer.  Willis ended up my #1 QB but he didn't start that way.  Ridder i was back and forth on him, i pushed him quite a bit 2 years ago more so than last year -- he's my 2nd favorite personality though among these QBs (after Pickett) but his on and off accurracy bothered me.

I thought it was weird for Sheehan of all people to challange Keim that there exists this negative narrative about Wentz saying he's a bad QB -- considering Sheehan himself has pushed that very narrative.  Also its Sheehan who loves the narrative of if the Eagles and Colts wanted Wentz gone -- enough said, no need to think deeper after that.  

Sheehan though is getting somewhat schizophrenic about Wentz because every now and then recently he praises Wentz and then resorts back to the negativty.  No one locally is on a weirder ride IMO with Wentz than Sheehan. 

Sheehan needs a partner who provides value to the viewer, it  seems he’s attempting to wear many “hats” to create entertaining radio. His value for me has tailored off a bit and have been more drawn to substance in form of Standig and Keim. I appreciated Sheehans takes because it appeared more honest and less I’m trying to upset the listeners to cause a storm (he did this previously as well, more balance previously IMO). 

Funny how he’s on Mt Rushmore of pro Kirk supporters, but dislikes Wentz. As you’ve mentioned and I agree with to some degree, those two seem to have a lot in common. Kirk no doubt has been a peg above Wentz in recent seasons though. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Sheehan needs a partner who provides value to the viewer, it  seems he’s attempting to wear many “hats” to create entertaining radio. His value for me has tailored off a bit and have been more drawn to substance in form of Standig and Keim. I appreciated Sheehans takes because it appeared more honest and less I’m trying to upset the listeners to cause a storm (he did this previously as well, more balance previously IMO). 

Funny how he’s on Mt Rushmore of pro Kirk supporters, but dislikes Wentz. As you’ve mentioned and I agree with to some degree, those two seem to have a lot in common. Kirk no doubt has been a peg above Wentz in recent seasons though. 

Sheehan is entertaining and informed.  But IMO too stubborn about his takes and too fixated on what he gets right -- he's becoming like Bayless on that front IMO where he's a slave to being right about his takes.   

As far as Wentz goes, he seems so simplistic on it -- Eagles discarded him, Colts discarded him -- that's all that needs to be said.  There is such a lack of nuance in his take on this. He thinks others are missing the boat because they are focused on Irsay alone and he goes Ballard and Reich were out on Wentz, too.  He is probably right to some extent on Ballard but wrong about Reich. 

And the fact that an Eagles reporter went on Sheehan's show and actually told him that Wentz wanted to leave Philly not so much the other way around (also ironically arguably a parallel to the Kirk situation) and yet Sheehan just ignores it -- I find that annoying.   I think once Sheehan locks in to a take, its tough to get him to dislodge it no matter what information contradicts it.  I don't recall him being like that in the past -- in my view its a relatively new thing with him.

Edited by Skinsinparadise

We can't get any QB that a team hasn't discarded. If we traded for Wilson, the Seahawks would have "discarded" him. It's a faulty way of thinking. We couldn't get any QB that a team "didn't want anymore".

Also how much do we want to credit the Colts with discarding him? They're now on their 5th QB in 5 years. Eagles discarding him holds more weight, but Irsay is an overly emotional and irrational person.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan is entertaining and informed.  But IMO too stubborn about his takes and too fixated on what he gets right -- he's becoming like Bayless on that front IMO where he's a slave to being right about his takes.   

As far as Wentz goes, he seems so simplistic on it -- Eagles discarded him, Colts discarded him -- that's all that needs to be said.  There is such a lack of nuance in his take on this. He thinks others are missing the boat because they are focused on Irsay alone and he goes Ballard and Reich were out on Wentz, too.  He is probably right to some extent on Ballard but wrong about Reich. 

And the fact that an Eagles reporter went on Sheehan's show and actually told him that Wentz wanted to leave Philly not so much the other way around (also ironically arguably a parallel to the Kirk situation) and yet Sheehan just ignores it -- I find that annoying.   I think once Sheehan locks in to a take, its tough to get him to dislodge it no matter what information contradicts it.  I don't recall him being like that in the past -- in my view its a relatively new thing with him.

Sheehan has been half the man he used to be in terms of sports commentating since Cooley left the show. His show used to be my favorite thing to listen to when Cooley was on it. Now he just drones on and on without anyone countering his points, except for Ivan who always calls in and argues with him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Sheehan is entertaining and informed. 

I agree, but more so in the past. Maybe it was him having another strong personality that brought the best out of him IMO. For lack of a better way of putting it, he’s beginning to feel and sound like an old man. He’s pretty much in alignment with Thom these days lol

Not even sure if the dude cares much anymore lol. 

But IMO too stubborn about his takes and too fixated on what he gets right -- he's becoming like Bayless on that front IMO where he's a slave to being right about his takes.   

He believes the negative stance on Wentz is the position that will cause most chaos, result being more listeners (pure speculation). 

• Like 1

FWIW - Mike Jones was on The Junkies this morning and when asked about who he thought would win the division, he figures it to be a dogfight.  He is suspect of the Eagles and Dallas has injury issues.  He has not historically been a Commanders advocate but mentioned he thought Wentz was the best QB they've had in a long time.  Felt that if Wentz could be even average for the season, they'd have a chance to take the division.

He did a recent interview with Wentz and felt impressed by him and how he had matured to the point in his career that he has been really focused on establishing relationships with teammates.

I was surprised to hear him speak so glowingly about the Commanders!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/mike-jones/2022/08/12/carson-wentz-washington-commanders-quarterback/10306092002/?gnt-cfr=1

From maligned to matured: Carson Wentz's hard lessons serve QB well in Washington relaunch

26 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Only thing that would make me more jealous is if they had Sam Darnold, too. 

Or John Beck.

3 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

Geno Smith and Drew Lock are the best QB duo since Rex Grossman and John Beck.

You beat me to it lol

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

FWIW - Mike Jones was on The Junkies this morning and when asked about who he thought would win the division, he figures it to be a dogfight.  He is suspect of the Eagles and Dallas has injury issues.  He has not historically been a Commanders advocate but mentioned he thought Wentz was the best QB they've had in a long time.  Felt that if Wentz could be even average for the season, they'd have a chance to take the division.

He did a recent interview with Wentz and felt impressed by him and how he had matured to the point in his career that he has been really focused on establishing relationships with teammates.

I was surprised to hear him speak so glowingly about the Commanders!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/columnist/mike-jones/2022/08/12/carson-wentz-washington-commanders-quarterback/10306092002/?gnt-cfr=1

From maligned to matured: Carson Wentz's hard lessons serve QB well in Washington relaunch

If the defense stinks, it won't matter. 

• Thumb up 1

7 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

If the defense stinks, it won't matter. 

Sure it could. You can be a successful regular season team with a good offense and a bad defense, if you’re willing to get into shootouts and your QB can have hot streaks between his cold streaks like Wentz can. It’ll come back to bite you in the playoffs unless your QB is transcendent, but a lower tier defense doesn’t always spell certain doom for regular season W/L record 

• Like 3