Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

5 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Joey T had about a 5 year run when he was elite. Went to back to back Super Bowls and was league MVP. Joe Gibbs just got him too late in his career. 

I watched him in the 80s. never felt he was elite.  But to each their own on that.  I do think he had one great season, 1983.  Outside of that, good QB IMO.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Yeah he was elite in 83. But 82 the kicker won a bunch of games and Riggins was the real MVP from 82-84. Theismann was trash in 85 before he got LT'd. So I'd give Theismann maybe 1.5 years elite counting some playoff games.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

14 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I watched him in the 80s. never felt he was elite.  But to each their own on that.  I do think he had one great season, 1983.  Outside of that, good QB IMO.

Agreed. Good leader, heady player, great competitor but far from an elite QB. He could get the ball where it needed to go but was also very interception prone. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I want Maye. Be OK with Daniels.  I don't want the Giants to get either one.  Actually McCarthy either.  

I'm almost to the point where I hope the Gnats pick Daniels. His high water mark for me is a mini Lamar, maybe being a dude who gets you to the first round when he's not on IR but can't get it together in the playoffs. Might even win a playoff game or 2 on a legendary team like last years Ravens if he's can play a full year in 3-4 seasons from now.  But there's no comp for him being a SB winner so I don't see it. I see Fields lite or RG3 with a weaker arm. Someone mentioned he was just sacked 22 times last year, well Fields was only sacked 21 times the year before he was drafted. Then like 135 times in less than 3 full years playing.

Maye might not even be that good but his ceiling is more like Allen, maybe even Favre or Elway because he does seem to be competitive like that. And Elway might be a Top 5 GOAT so that could be a stretch but not out of the question.

1 hour ago, TheGoodBits said:
1 hour ago, TheGoodBits said:

God I will puke if we draft Daniels and Giants trade up to 3 for Maye. 

That would be a disaster. That’s my biggest fear with us taking Daniels other than I believe Maye is just the better long term prospect.

Edited by fanman8825
Repeated post
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

That's the nightmare scenario. You just know Daniels will get hurt and be out of the league in less than 5 years while Maye will be Eli 2.0 but with a stronger arm and more athleticism.

The Giants will fail him as an organization. Most would. But the Giants would for sure. They are gonna have a new coach next season and that’s no way to get the best out of a young guy. 

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

I feel fairly confident that if we take Daniels then Maye will be insta-picked by the Pats.

I would be surprised if they don’t go 1-2-3 regardless of who is picking them. 

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

He was good not elite. However he was elite to those of us looking through the Burgundy and Gold glasses. He was the dude and by having his career cut short in the ugly way it did added to his liked or even legendary. 

If belichick was still there I'm sure he'd jump on Maye and do an absolutely spasmodic happy dance but only on the inside.

On another matter, it's quite the deal when you have such a disparity of perception about a guys' five years of college ball, with all the media coverage of the games, all the stats for each season, and all the film of the games, that a few here say he had only one good year and a few insist he played pretty good all five seasons.

I salute the analyzers! 😛

600.gif.3cfcee4837bafa3c2d3b18ca0a79b69f.gif 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Jumbo said:

If belichick was still there I'm sure he'd jump on Maye and do an absolutely spasmodic happy dance but only on the inside.

On another matter, it's quite the deal when you have such a disparity of perception about a guys' five years of college ball, with all the media coverage of the games, all the stats for each season, and all the film of the games, that a few here say he had only one good year and a few insist he played pretty good all five seasons.

I salute the analyzers! 😛

600.gif.3cfcee4837bafa3c2d3b18ca0a79b69f.gif 

Bruh, do you ever sleep and NOT mod this place? What the hell are you doing up at this time in the morning, ensuring peace during REM time?  NyQuil and bourbon my brother…

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, lovemaskins said:

Bruh, do you ever sleep and NOT mod this place? What the hell are you doing up at this time in the morning, ensuring peace during REM time?  NyQuil and bourbon my brother…

It's ten pm here 😄 and who's modding? 😁

I was watching Blade 3, now What If (Marvel). 👍🤓

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

There's no point in trading back to take a guy who sucks just because you feel a 2 overall pick needs to start day 1.

Consider this thought experiment to illustrate the point: let's say you can draft Josh Allen, but for him to become Good Josh Allen, he needs to sit a year. If he's thrust into starting Day 1, he will stay Bad Josh Allen and bust. If he sits and develops, he will turn into perennial Pro Bowler Good Josh Allen. 

Would you take him at 2 overall and let him sit a year knowing you have good Josh Allen on the way? Or would you take him at #2 and force him to start and make him bust because of impatience? Or would you trade down to 10, get your boatload of picks, and draft QB4 whom you don't love as a prospect?

Not a hard decision for me. Rookie QBs need to learn a new offensive system, adjust to NFL defensive schemes and talent level, speed of the game, how to practice and take care of your body, adjust to off-field pressures, and more. It's a ton and being forced to perform as a starter on top of all of that is a huge ask. Just bc unicorns like Stroud can do it doesn't mean it's any less daunting.

Our entire team is going to take a year to instill a new culture and learn the offensive/defensive schemes. Let the rook redshirt and take the reins in Year 2 when everyone is familiar with the system and the roster is more ready to compete. By Year 4 the QB should be a star and the team a SB contender.

I wouldn’t be opposed to drafting any of these top QBs and sitting them for a year or anywhere from 1-17 weeks. I think any amount of sitting and learning would be beneficial just like in any job. I’m cool with whatever the organization thinks is best.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

I'm almost to the point where I hope the Gnats pick Daniels. His high water mark for me is a mini Lamar, maybe being a dude who gets you to the first round when he's not on IR but can't get it together in the playoffs. Might even win a playoff game or 2 on a legendary team like last years Ravens if he's can play a full year in 3-4 seasons from now.  But there's no comp for him being a SB winner so I don't see it. I see Fields lite or RG3 with a weaker arm. Someone mentioned he was just sacked 22 times last year, well Fields was only sacked 21 times the year before he was drafted. Then like 135 times in less than 3 full years playing.

Maye might not even be that good but his ceiling is more like Allen, maybe even Favre or Elway because he does seem to be competitive like that. And Elway might be a Top 5 GOAT so that could be a stretch but not out of the question.

In a nutshell, you’re crazy.

If the Giants get Daniels, he will torment us for the next decade.  Daniel Jones already made a laughingstock out of our team for most of the times he’s played us, and I shudder to think of how we’ll fare against the Giants if Jayden Daniels ends up being their QB of the future.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

Schoen and Daboll took the Giants to the playoffs in year one, and improved Daniel Jones to the extent where he got that big contract.

The wheels fell off last year, Jones got hurt, o line decimated.  their turf on that field is horrible for injuries, its what Fedex used to be but even worse.

Daboll was good developing Josh Allen with the Bills.  Schoen is considered bright and they have some other good people in that FO like Cowden.

So for me this isn't old school post Coughlin NY Giants where I am counting on dumb people making their calls.  So if they end up liking one of these QBs -- I'd rather not see if they get it right or not.  I want them stuck in QB purgatory.

And as much as I like Drake Maye.  I am not one of the Daniels haters here.  I think he can be good.  And yeah am worried about his durability but I don't think its slam dunk that for sure he's always going to be hurt.  Lamar Jackson gets banged up.  But would I want him starting 12 games for the Giants a year.  Heck no.  Not saying Daniels ends up Lamar.  Just saying am not counting on Daniels as being a bust.  

In short, I think Daniels > Fields.  But I really don't want to see the Giants with any lottery ticket in this draft.  No Daniels.  No McCarthy.  No Penix.  Maybe I can deal with Nix but rather not him either. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

There is 0 chance the Giants get any of the big 3 QBs. Neither us or the Pats will trade. They MIGHT take McCarthy which would be LUL, although I actually think McCarthy on the Vikings would be a really good fit(and its probably what will end up happening).

Giants might take Nix in the 2nd, but I'd try to eff them by trading down from 36 to a team that could want him if we stay at 36 and there is anyone left that would want him that high.

20 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

There is 0 chance the Giants get any of the big 3 QBs. Neither us or the Pats will trade. They MIGHT take McCarthy which would be LUL, although I actually think McCarthy on the Vikings would be a really good fit(and its probably what will end up happening).

Giants might take Nix in the 2nd, but I'd try to eff them by trading down from 36 to a team that could want him if we stay at 36 and there is anyone left that would want him that high.

There might not be a good qb left for Giants to take. Both Denver and Las Vegas are also looking at qbs.

4 QBs will be gone by time Giants draft at 6.

Unless the Pats trade down, don’t see the Giants getting one of the better qbs.

While drafting Pennix or Nix might be to high where Broncos or Raiders draft; they could trade back into first round or trade down their first round pick to take qb later.