Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Just now, Jumbo said:

Simple for me. No to Daniels. My call is with the camp that thinks he's not going to be durable in this league. I know his supporters arguments, and I acknowledge his strengths, but I am dead set against him because of his physical build. Period. Happy to be wrong and wish success for him but with it looking fairly certain that Maye available at #2, I hope it's  another team that will give Daniels his chance.

This is how I feel. I love watching Daniels, and he seems like a high-character kid loved by his coaches and teammates, but like I think I said earlier in the thread, no way am I signing up to chew my fingernails every time Commanders play, waiting for one bad hit to end his career.  I think it'd be fun to watch him play for Minnesota, throw to Jefferson. Mebbe they'll draft Nabers/Thomas and we can say Geaux Vikings. I'm colorblind, so the uniforms even look the same. Maybe they are the same. Ugh. Anyway, I like (hate less) the idea of watching a 230-pound rookie getting knocked around better than the alternative.

• Haha 1
  • Thumb up 4

6 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

Grant Paulsen joins The Sports Junkies to debate if Drake Maye will be a bust in the NFL.

He might bust. But you have to pick QB's on traits and what they do well. If he busts he will bist with a cannon. And plenty have with that cannon. But he wont spend half the season injured either.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

We cant do that. It is either Caleb or Maye or a total train wreck.

I don't know. I just did one of those silly draft simulators (Draft Network). I traded down a bunch, ended up with JJ McCarthy, got us a new pair of starting Tackles in Guyton and Paul, one of my favorite WR prospects in Malachi Corley, and a bunch of other players. And we'd have four 1st rounders next year, plus a few more later rounder picks added. 

If we can pull that off, I don't like Maye THAT much. 

Edited by Rufus T Firefly
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DogofWar1 said:

Now you wanna talk about skinny little dudes, let's talk about stickman JJ McCarthy at 200 pounds.  Dude is 6'3".

Huh. Did not know that.

Then again I know nothing about JJ.

Anyways, Jayden is going to do everything in his power to stand next to that guy at the combine so he will come off looking like the Hulk by comparison.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Kurt Warner said he will also do his breakdowns soon but he only breaks down 1 game of each QB.

Why does he bother then, seems like a way to leave himself a backdoor when he’s wrong. He’s knowledgeable as hell but only breaking down a single game and wearing that as your “trademark” is cowardly, in a way.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

I like Daniels a lot, I haven't given up on him being #2 (I'm undecided) but at 210 he is kinda a bean pole.

Kids' gotta put on 10 pounds in the right places.

Now you wanna talk about skinny little dudes, let's talk about stickman JJ McCarthy at 200 pounds.  Dude is 6'3".

We arent drafting JJ so whats your point?

On 2/21/2024 at 8:24 PM, Destino said:

Caleb is amazing at buying time and he’s a fast twitch guy that’s hard to get ahold of. The NFL is 90% on schedule though, and being late doesn’t tend to work out to well against good defenses. He can throw hard hanging upside down from the rafters, and fairly accurate too. It’s pretty crazy to watch him do it. He’s crazy talented but his much talked about patience might not be entirely a positive thing at the next level. On physical gifts alone I don’t see the bears passing him up but I’m not sure hes the perfect prospect people are pretending he is.

Daniels is fast as greased lightning and thin. A troubling combination. Faster than he is quick, and not terribly shifty. Not as likely to run into incoming traffic as RG3 but more towards that side of the field than the shiftier stars we’ve seen. He’s got a deep ball that floats a bit more than I’d like but he’s accurate as hell with it. He’s better at finding and hitting open receivers than he is anticipating guys that are about to come open. Main concern with him other than the small frame, is that he seems run when he doesn’t need to. Not sure if he’s seeing the play develop in his head as much as simply seeing what he’s looking at. 

Maye should be better than he is. He has all the tools but for some reason he just doesn’t seem to dominate. A team with a great offensive coordinator and OLine can probably win a lot of games with this guy. He gets the ball out quickly and has the height to see it all. Without those things I think he’s going to turnover the ball a lot. He tries to force the issue in a crowd and that gets him in trouble. He’s going to be in a crowd a lot behind a bad line in the NFL, that’s just the way the game goes. 

if I was the commanders head coach picking 2nd I’d take Maye. He’s the guy most likely to do what he’s asked and doesn’t need the offense designed for him like Daniels will. I think he’d benefit from sitting a season and waiting until the OLine and new offense situation have stabilized. 

I agree with this. I would take this path with him - let Howell start for the year while the coaches are getting their program humming. Also give them time to shore up the OL. In a years time, we have a more solid team, coaches whose system all players have one year experience in, more help on the OL, and Maye having been on the team in meetings/getting coaching.

• Like 1

I'm shocked that anyone who has followed the recent history of this mess of a franchise would want anything to do with Daniels. He's short, scrawny, and takes a lot of big hits. Kinda tempting fate, here. Maybe it's just weirdo LSU fans and people that spam post tweets that have nothing to do with this team, though.

Kinda seems like it, for the most part. The ignore list grows ever larger....

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

Just now, SpacePenguin said:

I'm shocked that anyone who has followed the recent history of this mess of a franchise would want anything to do with Daniels. He's short, scrawny, and takes a lot of big hits. Kinda tempting fate, here. Maybe it's just weirdo LSU fans and people that spam post tweets that have nothing to do with this team, though.

Since when is 6'4" short?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

3 hours ago, DogofWar1 said:

heyyyy now. That kid has gained weight every year in college, no reason to think he cant pack on a few more lbs. 

its not like he has the frame of, i dunno, jayden daniels or anything 🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, clskinsfan said:

He might bust. But you have to pick QB's on traits and what they do well. If he busts he will bist with a cannon. And plenty have with that cannon. But he wont spend half the season injured either.

This is not directed at you, nor am I claiming to think Daniels is the next great QB or never be injured. However, the kid has played the most games as a starter of all the top guys with two seasons in the SEC and has not suffered any major injuries.  Ideally, I would like him to be a little bigger, but I think we may be suffering a little RG3 PTSD. Again, this is not me saying he's better than Maye, just wondering if we, as Comanders fans, may be a little extra sensitive about his slim build. I see it come up here more so than in other places. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Just finished QB school's breakdown of Drake Maye vs Duke. I won't recap it because people will say I am bias or I put a spin on it so I recommend everyone watch it yourself. 

thats assumptive in nature 

i for one would certainly appreciate it 😃

2 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

Grant Paulsen joins The Sports Junkies to debate if Drake Maye will be a bust in the NFL.

dayum. Straight up compared him to mac jones. 

ouch!

cant unsee that 🤣

• Haha 5

My initial reaction watching the first chunk of UNC-Duke is that everyone involved in UNC offensive coaching should be forced to work in a gulag for a decade.

Initial reaction, tho we'll see.

Probably send the UNC recruiters with em.

Edited by DogofWar1

31 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

This is not directed at you, nor am I claiming to think Daniels is the next great QB or never be injured. However, the kid has played the most games as a starter of all the top guys with two seasons in the SEC and has not suffered any major injuries.  Ideally, I would like him to be a little bigger, but I think we may be suffering a little RG3 PTSD. Again, this is not me saying he's better than Maye, just wondering if we, as Comanders fans, may be a little extra sensitive about his slim build. I see it come up here more so than in other places. 

I think we need to stop with this "He's not had any major injuries yet!" thing. That's basically luck considering some of the hits he's taken. With some of the hits he's taken, the way he runs, how thin he is, and how big and fast NFL defenders are, it's probably only a matter of time once he gets to the pros, unless he drastically alters his running style and actually learns to avoid hits instead of apparently being attracted to them like a moth to a flame.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, SpacePenguin said:

He’s 6’ 4”.

5 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I think we need to stop with this "He's not had any major injuries yet!" thing. That's basically luck considering some of the hits he's taken. With some of the hits he's taken, the way he runs, how thin he is, and how big and fast NFL defenders are, it's probably only a matter of time once he gets to the pros, unless he drastically alters his running style and actually learns to avoid hits instead of apparently being attracted to them like a moth to a flame.

It's not a talking point, and it's the truth. He's played 55 games as a starter, with two years in the SEC, so to call that luck is illogical. Bama routinely fields numerous future NFL players on defense and he faced them twice (one win in overtime). There are clips on here demonstrating he is becoming more conscious about the hits. I am not saying he shouldn't be more careful but I find more people are worried about his thin frame on here than with most analysts.  I think some of the commentary is more about Robert than Jayden.   

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

38 minutes ago, illone said:

thats assumptive in nature 

i for one would certainly appreciate it 😃

Positives:

• LOVES his playmaking ability. There are a number of times in the game where he's nearly sacked and before his knees go down finds a WR or finds the RB. Loved the 2 point conversion at the end of the game
  • Loves his arm strength. Says its clear that Maye can make every throw on the field and then some. Pointed out plays he threw to the far hash with velocity
  • Loves his scrambling ability. Thinks he'll definitely be able to pick up 5 or so yards consistently when you need them and would definitely be good in the redzone

Negatives:

• He says Drake has a low football IQ (there are two specific plays in this game he said a QB absolutely can not have on film - he went nuts about them for a while)
  • Doesn't love that almost all of his deep balls were either flat (not enough arch on them) or underthrown
  • He passed up easy reads and throws often 
  • He thinks he really needs to improve accuracy and anticipation
  • Basically said his footwork is up and down and he's naturally very "toe-sy"

Notes:

• He said the UNC wide receivers are slow as hell and pointed out the drops
  • He kept mentioning how slow #18 is (though he did catch a "sweet" TD)
  • Said the RB is awful in pass protection but they ran the ball pretty well all game
  • There were a few times he thought Maye should have given the ball to the RB but decided to play "hero ball" and do it himself and it was a bad read
  • He spends a lot of time in the beginning clowning how awful Duke's defense is but also noted Maye's protection still had issues 
  • He likes this offensive system better than Lingo's for the most part
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, NOLA2DC said:

It's not a talking point, and it's the truth. He's played 55 games as a starter, with two years in the SEC, so to call that luck is illogical. Bama routinely fields numerous future NFL players on defense and he faced them twice (one win in overtime). There are clips on here demonstrating he is becoming more conscious about the hits. I am not saying he shouldn't be more careful but I find more people are worried about his thin frame on here than with most analysts.  I think some of the commentary is more about Robert than Jayden.   

It absolutely is luck with some of the insane hits he's taken and the way he runs. He should probably have had about 5 concussions by now with the way his body flops around when hit. Thank god he hasn't, but with his skinny frame and the size and speed of NFL players, along with how his body reacts to hits, I think it's just a matter of time. There are only so many times you can crash a car before your luck runs out.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Dah-Dee said:

So, I don't live in the region and thus don't hear this show. And I didn't realize at first that this was a clip from before DQ was hired. But I'm just curious about the statement the guy with the dark beard and Capitals hat said -  "Adam Peters... he's too smart and put together to hire Dan Quinn." So, how did that play out when Peters did hire Quinn? Does this guy have a negative attitude towards Peters now? Does he think he knows better than Peters? 

I know it's probably not wise to judge based on a 20 minute clip of this radio show, but if I lived in or near DC I don't think I'd be listening to this show during my drive time.