Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 hours ago, slinky said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/tommy-devito-turned-down-significantly-more-money-from-commanders-to-sign-with-giants/

Tommy DeVito turned down significantly more money from Commanders to sign with Giants

DANG! We almost had the future GOAT Danny Devito

I'd take him as a backup.

People laugh at drinkin' the jersey juice and livin' in your mom's basement, but the time saved from doing your own laundry can be spent exercisin' that gun of an arm.

Eyyyy! Fahgetta bout it!

After losing 45-10 to the Dallas Cowboys on Thanksgiving, offensive tackle Charles Leno Jr. said there had been some regression this season. Then he pointed to the locker stall about 20 feet across from him -- the one belonging to Howell -- and said, "That's a f---ing huge improvement."

..."Kirk's age and what he's done and how much he was improving, it was a no-brainer to keep him," Gruden said. "If he didn't want to come back, then you have to get something for him. This is a hot commodity. For us to get a conditional third is one of the worst things in the history of the NFL."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39015429/washington-commanders-five-biggest-ifs-2012

• Like 5
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

On 12/1/2023 at 1:40 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

After losing 45-10 to the Dallas Cowboys on Thanksgiving, offensive tackle Charles Leno Jr. said there had been some regression this season. Then he pointed to the locker stall about 20 feet across from him -- the one belonging to Howell -- and said, "That's a f---ing huge improvement."

..."Kirk's age and what he's done and how much he was improving, it was a no-brainer to keep him," Gruden said. "If he didn't want to come back, then you have to get something for him. This is a hot commodity. For us to get a conditional third is one of the worst things in the history of the NFL."

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39015429/washington-commanders-five-biggest-ifs-2012

I do like the last two.  Here's the thing about Tua and Herbert with the last one.  Tua had had injury concerns in college and we had had terrible luck with injuries, and Herbert wasn't quite at that level that I recall.  That means they weren't right there even with Chase, they were a notch below

Im in the look elsewhere camp. New GM New Coach New Blood all around. Blow it up just like the Wizards did/doing. We are not one or two players away. Giving him an oline will not make the receivers get more separation which has been horrible if you look at the tape or the running backs vision better or get them taking runs to the house which they are too slow to do. Youll see a big difference in team speed and athletic ability in the game today. Theres been too many wtf throws for me from a professional quarterback. 4 to 5 years in college and 13+ pro games and throwing deep in double and triple coverage screams Rex Grossman. Throwing to D lineman 3 yards away like in the Buffalo game screams back up quarterback

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, MrJL said:

I do like the last two.  Here's the thing about Tua and Herbert with the last one.  Tua had had injury concerns in college and we had had terrible luck with injuries, and Herbert wasn't quite at that level that I recall.  That means they weren't right there even with Chase, they were a notch below

We would have been better off with Tua or Herbert. I wanted them to trade back some and build a stronger roster with all the additional picks. 

It really was a shame RG3 and Alex Smith went down the way they did. RG3 so young and Smith's talent and the huge fruitless CAP hit for years to come were killers

9 hours ago, YouLikeThat said:

Im in the look elsewhere camp. New GM New Coach New Blood all around. Blow it up just like the Wizards did/doing. We are not one or two players away. Giving him an oline will not make the receivers get more separation which has been horrible if you look at the tape or the running backs vision better or get them taking runs to the house which they are too slow to do. Youll see a big difference in team speed and athletic ability in the game today. Theres been too many wtf throws for me from a professional quarterback. 4 to 5 years in college and 13+ pro games and throwing deep in double and triple coverage screams Rex Grossman. Throwing to D lineman 3 yards away like in the Buffalo game screams back up quarterback

Ahem

8 minutes ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

How about not quoting big blocks of text. 

Especially when it’s to pat yourself on the back. 

Didnt want to type something else long on this topic being redundant but definitely doesnt need to happen again as I made my point 

Im with you .  I wanted Sam to be the guy so bad.  I think as a fan base, our quarterback play has been so bad that we were enamored by the fact that the could sling it around and make some throws.  But in the last three weeks, it is hard to conclude there has been much growth since the beginning of the year.  39 points in three games.  That is just anemic.  You have a receiver that is being paid 23 million a year and you can't get him one catch in a game.  Some of that has to fall on the quarterback.   He looks like a back up at this point rather than a starter.

2 minutes ago, glongest said:

Im with you .  I wanted Sam to be the guy so bad.  I think as a fan base, our quarterback play has been so bad that we were enamored by the fact that the could sling it around and make some throws.  But in the last three weeks, it is hard to conclude there has been much growth since the beginning of the year.  39 points in three games.  That is just anemic.  You have a receiver that is being paid 23 million a year and you can't get him one catch in a game.  Some of that has to fall on the quarterback.   He looks like a back up at this point rather than a starter.

Completely wrong. He's a future star and the best player currently on the team. If Washington lets him walk or trades him, it will be one of the worst mistakes they ever make.

They should concentrate totally on the offensive side this year and build the team around Sam Howell. And I think that is what they will do.

• Like 4

I think I’m out on Sam at this point. I won’t freak out if they start him next year but I’ll definitely have lowered expectations. I always thought his absolute ceiling was Kirk but I’m not sure he gets there. Too much working against them and not all of it is his fault. That’s part of the life of late round players. He has arm talent and some off schedule ability but he doesn’t look like a franchise QB to me. Just my opinion. The offense stinks. If he was truly The Guy, it wouldn’t stink. They struggle to score TDs. They struggle to sustain drives. His deep ball accuracy is spotty. Being a “gamer” and “tough” is cool but if those are the best words you can use for a QB, you’re usually describing a backup. Really remind me of Gardner Minshew and before you all freak out, I think Minshew is a fine Qb. Just not a guy anybody wants to have long term. Again, just my opinion. If he’s the QB again next year, I hope he proves me wrong. 

He really had a chance to guarantee his future by playing well. No one expects wins but a functional offense would suffice. Now, I think his best hope is that 4-13 is too good a record to secure a top QB without a potentially costly trade up. I’m not sure I’m comfortable trading up for a QB based off the history of doing that. However, performances like today are his floor and it’s a really ugly floor. 

IMG_2613.jpeg

• Like 1

I think the biggest failure of this season is that the FO knew the oline was a problem and still failed to improve it and is also calling plays like Howell is playing behind the Hogs.  It has made evaluating Howell all that much more difficult.

Though it has improved, Howell is still on pace to break the all time single season sacked record.  And they are still having him throw 40+ times a game.  It's team building and coaching malpractice.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, bearrock said:

I think the biggest failure of this season is that the FO knew the oline was a problem and still failed to improve it and is also calling plays like Howell is playing behind the Hogs.  It has made evaluating Howell all that much more difficult.

Though it has improved, Howell is still on pace to break the all time single season sacked record.  And they are still having him throw 40+ times a game.  It's team building and coaching malpractice.

EB and Ron sold the goods that Charles and Paul were both good at LG, Gates has great at C and Wylie great at RT....all huge upgrades. Puke. then they drafted Strom and Daniels who would be able to contribute. Why would they need more than that? Puke.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

He really had a chance to guarantee his future by playing well. No one expects wins but a functional offense would suffice.

I get what you’re saying from the perspective of it being hard to get behind a guy leading the league in pick 6’s.

But…

The only legitimate plays being made on offense are off schedule plays that Sam is making.  There is nothing there.  If Sam was the driving force behind the bad offense, there would be an abundance of tape going around indicting him.  I’m not seeing that.  I see an OC failing to gameplan against a teams weakness and tendencies.  I see a really bad OL.  I don’t see guys open and Sam missing them.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I get what you’re saying from the perspective of it being hard to get behind a guy leading the league in pick 6’s.

But…

The only legitimate plays being made on offense are off schedule plays that Sam is making.  There is nothing there.  If Sam was the driving force behind the bad offense, there would be an abundance of tape going around indicting him.  I’m not seeing that.  I see an OC failing to gameplan against a teams weakness and tendencies.  I see a really bad OL.  I don’t see guys open and Sam missing them.

But he’s not being the driving force behind the offense. If he’s just going to be a passenger to everything surrounding him, he’s not the guy. There will be a lot of changes next year but he likely still won’t have an ideal situation next season either. And then after that, we have to start talking money. 

I was really hoping Sam could get to the point where he legitimately was a solid QB that was capable of leading a capable offense every week. Where I could go into a week and say “well they’ve be underdogs of course but I know the offense will be good so we definitely have a chance.” Instead there’s even more questions. It will always be harder for him to get the validation he needs bc 1) he wasn’t picked by the football ppl hired by current ownership and 2) he’s a 5th round pick. He pretty much has to be how Shroud is and reach out and take it. He’s not doing it. In fact, he’s regressing and looking exactly how you’d think a 5th round pick would look. You cannot finish 4-13 and struggle to score 20 points and expect to be a starter the next season if you’re someone in his position. Maybe he lucks out and it’s not realistic to acquire one. If so, he better be ready to go from week 1 on. 

2 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

But he’s not being the driving force behind the offense. If he’s just going to be a passenger to everything surrounding him, he’s not the guy.

He can’t design and call the offense.  Like I said, the few plays that do get made, are via Sam and outside of the offense that EB is dialing up.  I wish this weren’t the case.  I wish guys were running open and it was obvious that he’s not the guy.  It makes everything easier that way, but I’m just not convinced there is any opportunity to succeed in EB’s offense.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He can’t design and call the offense.  Like I said, the few plays that do get made, are via Sam and outside of the offense that EB is dialing up.  I wish this weren’t the case.  I wish guys were running open and it was obvious that he’s not the guy.  It makes everything easier that way, but I’m just not convinced there is any opportunity to succeed in EB’s offense.

I wish Sam had easy throws like Tua did, and of course time in the pocket. Poor Sam is in a terrible place. He's a fifth round pick, the media isn't high on him, and the new regime will probably want "their" guy. The season isn't going to get better for him. The oline and tight ends are getting worse. Most of the team knows they will be gone next year. Sam is the only one who seems to give a ****. I feel bad for him.  

32 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

At one point in the 3rd quarter, they put up a graphic that said something like Sam had been sacked 3 times, 7 hits, and 9 pressures. Is that 19 different plays or does a sack also count as a hit & pressure?

Just got home and watched the game…

man Howell didnt have much protection at all and also i think you do have to factor in that Dolphins were up by so much.

Howell was pressing to score despite the poor protection.  One thing I appreciate about Howell is that the dude is clearly is all about the wins and losses… it’s not like Kirk who talks about just following the process BS when people as him why he played it safe when we are down 1-2 scores..

i am willing to live with Howell looking horrible trying to get back into the game with whatever has to work with then Kirk following the process when we are trying to win the freaking game

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1