Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

The turnover prone and injury prone labels are the funniest parts about Wentz. He’s neither.

Now… he plays banged up and I think he loves people knowing about it. And when he does turn the ball over they are very Cousins like in timing (meaning not great spots)… but he’s neither injury prone or turnover prone. 

There is a lot to criticize Wentz for… but those ain’t it.

• Like 1

So I was listening to some of the PFF podcasts (Unexpected Points and The PFF NFL Podcast) and they were less high on Sam Howell.  They only graded him in the 50's.  On the unexpected points podcast, the podcaster went a bit in the rating.  He said, Howell grade was hurt by two turnover worthy plays.   He reviewed both plays and one was definitely a turnover worthy play, but the other was really borderline.  If the DB made a special play it could have been a pick, but it would have taken a truly special play by the DB to be a pick.  He said, PFF grading is a bit of binary sometimes when it comes to grading, and not all turnover worthy plays equally as bad, but they affect the grade the same.  He said he was encouraged by Howell, but it was a small sample size and not to take too much out of it.  

They said Ridder got good reviews but a bad PFF grade too because he also had two turnover worthy throws, but his were worst.  He threw a terrible pick that was taken back after a questionable rough the passer penalty and he threw it to a linebacker in the middle of the field who dropped it.  But other than those throws he played okay.  They thought Corral was terrible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

The turnover prone and injury prone labels are the funniest parts about Wentz. He’s neither.

Now… he plays banged up and I think he loves people knowing about it. And when he does turn the ball over they are very Cousins like in timing (meaning not great spots)… but he’s neither injury prone or turnover prone. 

There is a lot to criticize Wentz for… but those ain’t it.

I gotta come to Wentz's defense on part of this. And that is that his turnovers are unusually poorly timed. I never saw this with the Eagles. In fact, disregarding 2020 when the entire offense was injured -- way more than Washington fans probably realize -- it felt like most of his interceptions came in the second half of games where the Eagles were behind by multiple scores. I remember a game at Seattle and a game at New Orleans when the Eagles were getting killed and he chucked up some late passes that got picked. I don't consider that poorly timed. In fact I think it's the exact opposite. If you're going to throw picks, hell, why not do it when the game is sorta/kinda out of reach anyway? It's kinda like surrendering an empty net goal in hockey. You don't want to see it, but you had to try something to get back in the game.

As for that seemingly ridiculous interception in the endzone against the Titans last year that cost the Colts the game, well, he was about to tackled for a safety that was going to lose the game anyway. (It would have put Tennessee ahead and the Colts would have had to free kick the ball away with under two minutes left.) So instead of being tackled and losing the game right there, he decides to throw the ball away. It's actually a smart move. Unfortunately for him it wasn't executed well and it got picked off. And the critics had a field day, overlooking the actual situation at hand.

On the other hand, I will acknowledge that while Wentz is historically not an interception thrower, he does cough the ball up in the pocket more than most quarterbacks. That's been a "thing" for him ever since he came into the league. I suspect this will remain an issue for him for the duration of his career.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Right now, I think TH gets a nod in short term appearances simply because he knows the offense a bit better. But if we have a week to prepare then Howell is the better prospect

TH won't make rookie mistakes when you have a chance to win.

Howell needs NFL game reps. There's probably a few scenarios where Howell gets reps.

Probably not fair to the rest of the team to just mail-in the season to get a 5th rounder experience.

5 hours ago, KDawg said:

If you wanna widdle that down to just arguing if he is interception prone... that would be better.

Can't exactly fault anyone for slapping the turnover prone label on Wentz when he leads the NFL in fumbles since he has been drafted. You can go back to 2013, several years before Wentz came into the league and he would still be top 5 in fumbles.

The dude is very turnover prone, it is something that will be closely watched throughout the season.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

If you wanna widdle that down to just arguing if he is interception prone... that would be better.

Can't exactly fault anyone for slapping the turnover prone label on Wentz when he leads the NFL in fumbles since he has been drafted. You can go back to 2013, several years before Wentz came into the league and he would still be top 5 in fumbles.

The dude is very turnover prone, it is something that will be closely watched throughout the season.

You’re not wrong. I was referencing interceptions as that’s the one that is often talked about but incorrect. 

9 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Agreed. If I'm Scott Turner I'm having one or 2 WR's run a lot of crossing routes on pass plays early and often to start Wentz's season. Get the ball out of his hands and let him learn the offense/players. Run the ball, use McKissic, quick throws to Samuel, etc....When Wentz holds the ball it's when he gets in harms way and turns it over more frequently.

• Thumb up 1

On 8/14/2022 at 9:44 PM, TheBlueIndian said:

It is low hanging fruit and exhausting.  He has turned his show into something that is truly unlistenable especially when he has Thom on.

He has morphed into one of those guys who thinks he's the smartest guy in the room. It's a shame that he has allowed Dan to live rent free in his head. 

I remember when his encyclopedic knowledge of DC sports was the driving force of his shows, now he just sounds like a bitter ex girlfriend. 

Pleased with what we got from Wentz and Howell, definitely trending upward right now , which is not what we usually do this time of year. Concerned with Gibson putting the ball on the ground already,  at this point it's like he has the yips. I hope it's more mental than fundamental because that cat is pretty exciting and is a playmaker.

oh i agree. i, personally, get tired of every topic and conversation revolving around dan. i was just saying that approval rate has no correlation to how receptive people are to 24/7 roasting of dan.

• Like 1

On 8/16/2022 at 6:50 PM, TheShredder said:

TH won't make rookie mistakes when you have a chance to win.

Howell needs NFL game reps. There's probably a few scenarios where Howell gets reps.

Probably not fair to the rest of the team to just mail-in the season to get a 5th rounder experience.

I just don't understand this line of thinking when TH came into last year having played something like 5 total games, with 3 starts and got hurt in all of them.  

It's not like had some great vast amount of experience.  He literally was sleeping on his sister's couch in December 2020 when the team signed him to be the emergency QB when everybody got hurt and COVID was a thing.  

Howell has less experience than TH does now.  

Also, Shanahan trusted Kirk to start a must-win game in 2012, without which that team never makes the playoffs.  He was a 4th rounder.  

TH made plenty of rookie mistakes last year, and he is so physically limited, the offense condenses into a box that is about 10 yards from the LOS and doesn't even reach the sidelines.  

Now, if Howell needs more time to really get and understand the offense, I absolutely get that.  And I don't even think TH is in competition for the backup job (which I think is a mistake, but I think it is what it is.)  

But to say TH gives the team a better chance to win, I don't buy that because he didn't last year.  He played one good game, and they won a bunch of games because they played better defense and ran the ball.  I keep bringing this up: In the Seattle game, they went 3-out 4 consecutive times in the second half, and only won really because they were forced to go for 2 on an early TD because their kicker got hurt.  

If Howell needs more time to develop, I get it.  But this notion that playing a rookie would derail the season is odd given TH didn't have that much more experience last year at this time.  

• Like 3

On 8/16/2022 at 11:06 PM, FootballZombie said:

17 hours ago, KDawg said:

You’re not wrong. I was referencing interceptions as that’s the one that is often talked about but incorrect. 

It's definitely true in aggregate.  

Interestingly, his worst fumble year was 2019, which he actually played very well and the Eagles made the playoffs.  I think they won 4 or 5 in a row to make it in, and he won comeback player of the year.

Last year, he had 8 fumbles, 5 lost.  The 8 fumbles ranks 17th in the league.  Now, you could argue it was lower because his attempts were lower.  And that would be a fair and cogent argument. 

However, for context, Dak put the ball on the turf 14 times in 16 games.  Though he got MASSIVELY lucky because they only lost 6 of them.  Kyler Murray fumbled 13 times and lost none.  Which means whatever ritual animal sacrifices he is making to the football gods are working.  The other guy who got really lucky was Kirk.  He had 12 fumbles but only 2 lost. 

As a matter of fact, Carson needs to step up his ritual sacrifices to the football Gods, because his fumbles to lost fumbles (which really is a whole lot of luck) was one of the worst in the league, I believe.  5 lost on 8 total, that's 62% lost.  There are a few guys (Tom Brady being one, and 2 RBs) who fumbled 4 times with 3 losses.

Anyway, it will bear watching.  It wasn't really a problem last year, even with a very leaky OL.  We'll see what happens this year.

• Haha 1