Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

And if Wentz stinks, we'll be picking in the top 10, Ron is smart enough to bench him before the 3rd becomes a 2nd in 2023, and we'll do it all over again. 

We pick 11 this year. We don't have a top 10 pick w/o Wentz, I can't see us having a top 10 pick w/ him. He would have to open up a reverse can of "Oh My Goodness" to get us there.

I'm not even sure he would be a decent trade piece in the event of a failure anymore. Even if there is no G money, who is picking up a 20+Mil failed experiment, especially if other cheaper options are available at a fraction of the cap hit. All you can really do is cut him for nothing, and that would put us in the same situation as this year where you can't bring a viable QB to the trade table, so its nearly impossible to acquire one. Maybe we could eat most of his contract to move him... maybe.

Dude better pan out, or we are in likely in the same boat next year where we don't have the right puzzle pieces to properly compete in the trade market.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We pick 11 this year. We don't have a top 10 pick w/o Wentz, I can't see us having a top 10 pick w/ him. He would have to open up a reverse can of "Oh My Goodness" to get us there.

I'm not even sure he would be a decent trade piece in the event of a failure anymore. Even if there is no G money, who is picking up a 20+Mil failed experiment, especially if other cheaper options are available at a fraction of the cap hit. All you can really do is cut him for nothing, and that would put us in the same situation as this year where you can't bring a viable QB to the trade table, so its nearly impossible to acquire one. Maybe we could eat most of his contract to move him... maybe.

Dude better pan out, or we are in likely in the same boat next year where we don't have the right puzzle pieces to properly compete in the trade market.

I think we’ll know by week 8 if he’s going to pan out or not. If we’re 2-6 or something, it’s over and you cut your losses.  I don’t expect this at all, mind you.  But saying if.  

If not, he’s going to be benched to preserve the second round pick.  And either TH or whoever we draft in the 4-7th round will play.

I can see that ending up in a top 10 pick.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think we’ll know by week 8 if he’s going to pan out or not. If we’re 2-6 or something, it’s over and you cut your losses.  I don’t expect this at all, mind you.  But saying if.  

If not, he’s going to be benched to preserve the second round pick.  And either TH or whoever we draft in the 4-7th round will play.

I can see that ending up in a top 10 pick.  

This is false. This team has started slow two straight seasons. I doubt Ron thinks it is over if the team is 2-6.

• Like 1

Wentz had two bad games last year. They were the biggest games of the year but two games. He should be healthy and focused this year. 

Would Mayfield been a better choice maybe, but he was not available at the time. If we did not trade for Wentz there a good chance we may not have got a Qb. 

I dont think Ryan would have got sent here by the falcons.  We could get Mayfield now but he was not available when we made the trade. If we waited Atl could have traded Ryan to Cleveland for Mayfield then we would have nothing. Ron made a big bet on Wentz lets see how it works out.

Edited by Redskins 2021
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, method man said:

This is false. This team has started slow two straight seasons. I doubt Ron thinks it is over if the team is 2-6.

It depends on how Wentz is playing.  I don’t think he’s going to have a short leash but if he’s just stinking up the joint I don’t see him sticking with it too long.  

Haskins got yanked after 4 games.  Wentz will get 8.  If he is truly horrible, I think they’ll make a change. 

If he’s just so-so, he’ll stick with him.  

5 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

I genuinely think we are very fortunate to have Wentz on the roster this season. A marginal overpay and a contract similar to what tier one receivers are now getting.

It is what it is. 

If Wentz fails here, Rivera and Turner should be fired. I think Wentz is an excellent fit for us. They need to make it work.

I didn't like the fact that RR sold out publicly about turning over every stone to find a QB...Indy knew that and played their hand better than we did. I agree that we could've gotten another pick or something out of Indy just for taking on Wentz's contract. They advertised their need to deal him as much as we did our need for a QB. They won round one. Now, if Wentz goes on to have a great career here then we won the war. But our GM got smoked on the surface in this deal for now by all accounts. If Wentz sucks then we really got suckered. 

Regardless, RR is gonna be tough to fire unless we become a dumpster fire because Dan needs credible people at the forefront because of his own warts. The GM(s) could be in trouble though if RR isn't.

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

It depends on how Wentz is playing.  I don’t think he’s going to have a short leash but if he’s just stinking up the joint I don’t see him sticking with it too long.  

Haskins got yanked after 4 games.  Wentz will get 8.  If he is truly horrible, I think they’ll make a change. 

If he’s just so-so, he’ll stick with him.  

Wentz is not good on a short leash, at least he wasn't in Philly. His decline got worse after Foles won the SB and the team drafted Hurts a year or two later. He needs to be stroked and to know that he's the man. We play the easiest schedule in the league so I suspect and expect we'll be at worst 4-4 after 8 games so as long as Wentz isn't a turnover, sack taking mess he should be ok. Just watch out for him getting injured then your worst fear will be back on the field; Wentz has been a high injury risk in his career so he'll need to be smart and get rid of the ball. 

The going 100% overboard in the media about needing a QB was about Rivera covering his ass with the fanbase in case they failed on all their big swings like they did with Stafford last year. He needed the FANS, whose buy-in he’s practically spent two years begging for because it’s hard for him to wrap his mind around the Snyder-induced (and earned) apathy, to understand that regardless of who we started week 1 this season—he tried his ass off to get a real QB for us. That imo was the reason behind the media blitz, in addition to the fact that he’s just pretty blunt about obvious stuff.

The rest of the league already knew, they make millions and millions to do this you know. There was zero strategic disadvantage in openly pining for QB help unless you think the rest of the league are next level idiots. They fully and completely knew. Nothing changed because of it. 

• Like 5

11 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Wentz is not good on a short leash, at least he wasn't in Philly. His decline got worse after Foles won the SB and the team drafted Hurts a year or two later. He needs to be stroked and to know that he's the man. We play the easiest schedule in the league so I suspect and expect we'll be at worst 4-4 after 8 games so as long as Wentz isn't a turnover, sack taking mess he should be ok. Just watch out for him getting injured then your worst fear will be back on the field; Wentz has been a high injury risk in his career so he'll need to be smart and get rid of the ball. 

His decline got worse after the SB?  When did the decline start?  He was a rookie in 2016.   He had an MVP season in 2017. 

Carson Wentz had a good year in 2018 but got hurt again, that time it was his back.  Then in 2019, had a good season again, took the team to the playoffs but then had a concussion in the playoffs. 

The bad year came in 2020, his only bad year.  and yeah Hurts was there at the time.  Eagles had a terrible receiving corp then but Wentz himself wasn't hot. 

The more I digest Wentz it feels like the pause is ironically very similar to the Kirk narrative, Wentz a more talented but also more inconsistent version of Kirk.  That is, most say he's a nice guy.  But he's also a bit aloof with some in the locker room.  I heard another ex-player on the NFL Network say the other day that he hears Wentz can get preachy about his religious views that can turn some players off.  Kirk also a real religious guy.  Not sure if he's as preachy from what I recall.  Kirk also deemed by most as a nice guy but also a bit aloof reputation wise.  Also like Kirk, there is this running narrative that Wentz shrinks when the lights are brightest. 

From my take, as an ex-player said, most teammates don't care about the relgiious stuff no matter what their view on it is as long as the player plays well.  By most accounts, Wentz is a super nice guy.  I don't need him per se to discover his 2017 magic but heck if he plays like his did through most of his career, we got a 10-15 type QB and that's good enough.  As far as the clutch stuff, I haven't delved in enough to form my own opinion on it but its surfaced enough where I know its the perception about him.  Some who know him have said they think coming here might help him because he needs to be broken out of his comfort zone and this would do it.  I also love to hear that the dude is a hard worker and is competitive as heck so hopefully this trade ignites that in a big way. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 4

8 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

His decline got worse after the SB?  When did the decline start?  He was a rookie in 2016.   He had an MVP season in 2017. 

Carson Wentz had a good year in 2018 but got hurt again, that time it was his back.  Then in 2019, had a good season again, took the team to the playoffs but then had a concussion in the playoffs. 

The bad year came in 2020, he's only bad year.  and yeah Hurts was there at the time.  Eagles had a terrible receiving corp then but Wentz himself wasn't hot. 

The more I digest Wentz it feels like the pause is ironically very similar to the Kirk narrative, Wentz a more talented but also more inconsistent version of Kirk.  That is, most say he's a nice guy.  But he's also a bit aloof with some in the locker room.  I heard another ex-player on the NFL Network say the other day that he hears Wentz can get preachy about his religious views that can turn some players off.  Kirk also a real religious guy.  Not sure if he's as preachy from what I recall.  Kirk also deemed by most as a nice guy but also a bit aloof reputation wise.  Also like Kirk, there is this running narrative that Wentz shrinks when the lights are brightest. 

From my take, as an ex-player said, most teammates don't care about the relgiious stuff no matter what their view on it is as long as the player plays well.  By most accounts, Wentz is a super nice guy.  I don't need him per se to discover his 2017 magic but heck if he plays like his did through most of his career, we got a 10-15 type QB and that's good enough.  As far as the clutch stuff, I haven't delved in enough to form my own opinion on it but its surfaced enough where I know its the perception about him.  Some who know him have said they think coming here might help him because he needs to be broken out of his comfort zone and this would do it.  I also love to hear that the dude is a hard worker and is competitive as heck so hopefully this trade ignites that in a big way. 

I am in agreement with you. So the following is a continuation not directed at you.

Full disclosure I was not a huge fan of this trade. But I also think the narratives have gotten way out of hand with many purposely positioning both his previous teams as smart organizations not in any kind of disarray. This is important as the more I look into it and compile feedback form actual players and assistant coaches, it seems like Wentz was made the fall guy for coaching failures. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there is some semblance of truth to the exaggerations but they seem to be just that, exaggerations. 

For the eagles, the entire team had taken such a step back they fired the coaching staff after 2020 and got rid of the starting QB. You have to appease the fan base who mostly liked Wentz so it's not a stretch to think they manufactured the locker room issues to justify jettisoning a QB with one rough season for a very unproven player in Hurts that is not a good QB. He has yet to prove he is a franchise QB. 

Then the Colts, after a pretty good season, lose 2 at the end of the season, one to Jacksonville - which is thier 6th straight road loss to Jacksonville and Carson becomes the problem because the drug addict owner whines and threatens jobs if Carson is not moved. It's pretty clear from interviews that if Irsay had not been so vocal and insistent they would not have moved on from Carson. This is something like thier 6th starting QB in 6 yrs. But yea, it's all on  Carson, He is the primary reason they fell to Jacksonville. BTW The D gave up 26 pts to Jacksonville and Carson while not having a stellar day was not horrible. Low yds but only 1 TO. Looks more to me like they should have run more. Taylor only had 15 carries but was getting 5.1 yds a touch. 

I have no idea how he will do. But this doom and gloom narratives are way over the top. It's amazing that when people like a guy they will not believe anything in the media or from other teams but if they do not like the guy or have an ulterior motive for not wanting them here (looking at the Taylor Heinicke fans) then everything the media and other teams say is gospel. 

Scott's offense will get guys open. Wentz has the arm strength to challenge defenses down field. We have a solid running game to keep Carson from having to throw 40 times a game very often. Defense should take a step forward. And we will add a few pieces in the draft. 

the worst that happens is everything about Carson is 100% true and he is a complete failure. They release him with $0 dead cap on any money owed and all thier 1s and 2s in tact to make a move for a QB in next years draft. None of it may be sexy, but they are smart football moves. 

• Like 7

I just can't buy the Wentz Cousins/ not clutch narrative. Wentz is a fiery dude on the field and he loves to win and generally to a fault will do absolutely anything to make the play happen. He did nothing to earn that reputation in Philly. His seasons ended with injury. I guess it comes from the Colts last year and the Jax game, but that was hardly all on him. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Conn said:

The going 100% overboard in the media about needing a QB was about Rivera covering his ass with the fanbase in case they failed on all their big swings like they did with Stafford last year.

I'm not sure that "Hey, you can't say I didn't try" is the cover-your-ass move you think it is lol...

53 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

When I say "decline" I mean that on top of his injuries he started being questioned as a poor teammate, a sulker and being generally "uncoachable" in Philly. It's being reported that an unnamed teammate (believed to be Darren Sproles) nearly came to blows with Wentz after CW made a comment about not being able to play in the Super Bowl. When in competition for starting QB in Philly he struggled handling it. 

I'm just saying what's being reported. Now Indy runs him out of town after one season with no clear replacement? 

Hopefully RR can make it work with Carson Wentz, we all need this to be a successful trade.

6 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

I'm not sure that "Hey, you can't say I didn't try" is the cover-your-ass move you think it is lol...

I didn’t say I thought it would work lol, although it’s clear Rivera still can’t fully grasp how cynical and hardened this fanbase is due to the last 30 years. But what I said is it’s very apparent they wanted the fans to know they’d go all out.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Conn said:

I didn’t say I thought it would work lol, although it’s clear Rivera still can’t fully grasp how cynical and hardened this fanbase is due to the last 30 years. But what I said is it’s very apparent they wanted the fans to know they’d go all out.

And if he said nothing people would say he was not taking the QB position serious, like they did the last 2 yrs. To that end I do agree he needs to stop trying to appease the fan base because sat this time there is nothing that will make the fanbase happy except maybe, and I say may be winning. Every move he has made has been met with the most negative response possible. He just needs to shut it all out and build the team. Forget the fans for now. There is literally nothing he can do right based on many people comments here and in the media. 

I disagree it hurt in the Colts negotiations becasue at the and of the day if the price was too high they would have moved to the next option. They had many options to them they were considering. And despite the narrative, it was not that big a price tag, especially if he works out. If not, you have an immediate get out card.  

• Like 1

Its comedy at this point. I saw a segment on NFL network where Robinson was talking about Wentz. He said that "his thing" was after the trade seeing how the players in the locker room reacted, and it was just silence and that told him everything he needed to know.

So either Robinson is a liar or just insanely bad at his job. Many Colts players, captains, came out and spoke in support of Wentz after the trade went down. So if "his thing" was looking for support from the locker room he's pretty bad at it. He either lied about not seeing any support for Wentz, or he lied about looking for support for Wentz as if he did he would have found it. Just more examples of the media jumping on the narrative train versus basing what they are saying on their own research and data.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Its comedy at this point. I saw a segment on NFL network where Robinson was talking about Wentz. He said that "his thing" was after the trade seeing how the players in the locker room reacted, and it was just silence and that told him everything he needed to know.

So either Robinson is a liar or just insanely bad at his job. Many Colts players, captains, came out and spoke in support of Wentz after the trade went down. So if "his thing" was looking for support from the locker room he's pretty bad at it. He either lied about not seeing any support for Wentz, or he lied about looking for support for Wentz as if he did he would have found it. Just more examples of the media jumping on the narrative train versus basing what they are saying on their own research and data.

Help me out, I think I'm missing something.

So he walked into the locker room and said "Wentz is gone, how does everyone feel about it?" Or something like that.

Got a bunch of silence.

And that's a bad look for Wentz?  How?  If the players immediately started talking about the future, and focus as a team, etc then that's a bad look for Wentz.  Implying they already knew he wasn't good at steering the team.

But silence?  That sounds like a surprised locker room that's still trying to process what just happened.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, goskins10 said:

I am in agreement with you. So the following is a continuation not directed at you.

Full disclosure I was not a huge fan of this trade. But I also think the narratives have gotten way out of hand with many purposely positioning both his previous teams as smart organizations not in any kind of disarray. This is important as the more I look into it and compile feedback form actual players and assistant coaches, it seems like Wentz was made the fall guy for coaching failures. Don't get me wrong, I am sure there is some semblance of truth to the exaggerations but they seem to be just that, exaggerations. 

For the eagles, the entire team had taken such a step back they fired the coaching staff after 2020 and got rid of the starting QB. You have to appease the fan base who mostly liked Wentz so it's not a stretch to think they manufactured the locker room issues to justify jettisoning a QB with one rough season for a very unproven player in Hurts that is not a good QB. He has yet to prove he is a franchise QB. 

Then the Colts, after a pretty good season, lose 2 at the end of the season, one to Jacksonville - which is thier 6th straight road loss to Jacksonville and Carson becomes the problem because the drug addict owner whines and threatens jobs if Carson is not moved. It's pretty clear from interviews that if Irsay had not been so vocal and insistent they would not have moved on from Carson. This is something like thier 6th starting QB in 6 yrs. But yea, it's all on  Carson, He is the primary reason they fell to Jacksonville. BTW The D gave up 26 pts to Jacksonville and Carson while not having a stellar day was not horrible. Low yds but only 1 TO. Looks more to me like they should have run more. Taylor only had 15 carries but was getting 5.1 yds a touch. 

Yeah part of the reason why I say some of the criticism of Wentz seem to be consistent and fair but the main plot line against him comes off dead wrong...its because the main plot line with most critics is that the Eagles and Colts are smart organizations -- smarter than this one.  So if both teams thought Wentz wasn't viable why the heck should they believe this team turns it around on Wentz.

Well for starters most indications are the Eagles did not want to trade Wentz but wanted to keep him.  Wentz supposedly requested the trade and wanted out.  As far as the Colts, Irsay wanted him gone and at best the reports are mixed about whether Ballard wanted him gone and indications on Reich wanted to keep him.  Do I buy the story that Reich and Ballard are happier now to have Ryan than they would keep Wentz?  Yes, I do.  But one story to me has nothing to do with another.  Ryan wasn't in the picture at the time for this team or that team.

The running criticism that seems fair and consistent is that Wentz's personality doesn't make him every teammates cup of tea -- even though he's a nice guy.  The bad guy stuff seems ridiculous the more I digest.  He's a bit Mahomes like in that he's willing to make never say die throws -- and the difference is Mahomes makes more of those plays than Wentz and some coaches wish Wentz had better judgment on some of that stuff.   He's a bit of a streaky player, game to game and sometimes quarter to quarter.  And some don't think he's clutch.

I do think Rivera could have gotten him cheaper.  But I am not fixated on that point.   Coming from a guy who hated how they misplayed the Kirk contract.  Hated the Alex Smith trade.  Spent a lot of time studying these college prospects for this draft.  Likes Matt Ryan more than most here do.    Likes Mariota more than most here do.  And I am very familiar with the Wentz soap opera from Philly.  It was my initial reservation about trading for him.  i even pm'd someone on this thread and said weeks before we landed Wentz, you know Wentz might be our best shot here to win among these QB possibilities and I talked myself into him but I didn't feel like arguing for him on this thread. 😀. Now that they made the trade I have to argue for Wentz and actually digesting the narratives I actually like this even more than I did weeks before the trade was made.

Why do I like it?  Upside and youth.  If they get this right, they got a franchise QB in his prime.  I didn't feel the same way about Jimmy G.  The Qbs in this draft IMO felt too much like wildcards.  I like Mariota but he's not a top 10 upside guy and he gets hurt a lot.  I hated the idea of Trubisky.  I was back and forth on Winston but didn't love him.   In terms of pure talent, Wentz might be the most talented QB we've had sans RG3 in my lifetime.    It could end up a bust.  But I'd rather make a big swing and miss then go for a lower upside-more conservative choice. 

As far as Matt Ryan, who knows if we'd have had a shot at him.  I think some here underestimate his career.  He's more than just a slightly above average player.  He's been on and off a 8-12 top QB in this league for a good chunk of his career.  And he had his own killer Wentz style 2017 season in his 2016 season where he was #1 in the NFL in QBR.  Ryan has had a great career.  So while i agree with those NFL insiders who say Ryan > Wentz.  And the price that the Colts paid for Ryan > what we paid for Wentz.  But two things on that.  1.  Ryan might be declining.  He's getting older.  Ryan might not be who he once was.   Will see.   2.  the context behind the trades was totally different including not knowing that Ryan would even be available. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Help me out, I think I'm missing something.

So he walked into the locker room and said "Wentz is gone, how does everyone feel about it?" Or something like that.

Got a bunch of silence.

And that's a bad look for Wentz?  How?  If the players immediately started talking about the future, and focus as a team, etc then that's a bad look for Wentz.  Implying they already knew he wasn't good at steering the team.

But silence?  That sounds like a surprised locker room that's still trying to process what just happened.

No, he was talking about players speaking out supporting Wentz in the media/public space. He is basing his opinion on which players came out publicly saying good things about Wentz and then said that there was silence. Which was obviously completely incorrect if he did actually do any research. Heck, just a couple of Google searches would have done his job for him showing multiple players and leaders on the team tweeting or saying positive things. 

Edited by MisterPinstripe
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I just can't buy the Wentz Cousins/ not clutch narrative. Wentz is a fiery dude on the field and he loves to win and generally to a fault will do absolutely anything to make the play happen. He did nothing to earn that reputation in Philly. His seasons ended with injury. I guess it comes from the Colts last year and the Jax game, but that was hardly all on him. 

Its not just that one game though. That narrative followed him all season. 

The first half of the season was rough for Wentz as he had some big mistakes in the 4th quarter and the Colts started off really slow. (fumbled QB sneak against SEA, game ending interception against LA, pick six when running out the clock against Tenn, etc) The pick-6 was particularly bad on 1st down when running out the clock for a win. 

It was clear Indy was not going to win games off of Carson's arm and started to heavily lean on Jonathon Taylor the 2nd half of the season. 

If he had more clutch performances last season then there's no way he'd be on our roster right now. You know how it goes: One man's trash is another man's treasure. Wentz is a big upgrade over anything we've had around here and we were able to get him without trading a 1st. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Mooka said:

If he had more clutch performances last season then there's no way he'd be on our roster right now. You know how it goes: One man's trash is another man's treasure. Wentz is a big upgrade over anything we've had around here and we were able to get him without trading a 1st. 

When you hear the Colts owner talk about how the QB needs to be clutch and pull the team through adversity.. and basically when Wentz didn't do enough to carry the team to beat Jacksonville, Irsay just pulled the plug...

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2022/03/29/colts-why-owner-jim-irsay-changed-quarterbacks-carson-wentz/7124507001/

“Your guy’s gotta pick you up and carry you through Jacksonville,” Irsay said. "He has to do it. Not an option. Has to. No excuses, no explanations.”

The more Irsay thought about the loss, the more he saw the Jacksonville failure as the culmination of problems that he’d seen throughout the season, problems that came to light through talking to some of the most important members of the Colts’ roster.

This is one organization that has been spoiled at the QB since Peyton Manning.  Manning, Luck, 1 year in QB limbo, Rivers, Wentz, and now Ryan.   So maybe there is a good reason why Irsay is holding such a high standard for his QBs but I think they have lucked into their QB situation more than anything over past 2 decades.  Any other organization would have given Wentz 1-2 more years to figure it out.    Regardless of what happens with Wentz and Commanders, I really hope that Colts get a real dose of reality when they fail to find their "QB" for years and decades to come.  They really do deserve it for their snobbish attitude. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1