Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

9 hours ago, RWJ said:

But the big problem with him KD is that he can't throw the ball downfield like Wentz.  If he had the arm to do so we wouldn't have Wentz.  We need an arm that can take advantage of the speed we have in Terry M, Brown, Samuel and possibly Olave, London, Wilson.  

Wentz clearly has the better arm and has played more games in the league than TH, no doubt. But TH is not a bad backup should Wentz go down (which history shows is likely) and offers some attributes that Wentz doesn't have, like his wheels. I remember Willie McGinnis, former Patriot turned NFL analyst, commenting on TH early last season about how he's a nightmare for defenders to chase around. He spoke highly of TH. I don't disagree about the arm strength thing but I also don't think we're "doomed" if TH has to play. Our defense should take us a long way vs the schedule we have as long as they step up from the start.

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Keep in mind UDFA’s are tricky because they have choices.  If you like a guy, draft him. 

I mean, if your starter goes down 90% of the time you’re screwed in the long term.  You might be able to survive in the short term.

I have faith in Turner to scheme it up for a game or two with any backup QB.  But more than that, we’re screwed. 

Yeah, if they really want a qb, using a late rounder is a smart move (as opposed to hoping to land them as an UDFA).  Of course, we have TH on the last year of his deal, and Wentz with 1 year of guaranteed money and on his 3rd team in 3 years, so you’d have to think we’re an attractive landing spot for an UDFA qb.  Well… in terms of path to playing/making the team anyway, lol.

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Yeah, if they really want a qb, using a late rounder is a smart move (as opposed to hoping to land them as an UDFA).  Of course, we have TH on the last year of his deal, and Wentz with 1 year of guaranteed money and on his 3rd team in 3 years, so you’d have to think we’re an attractive landing spot for an UDFA qb.  Well… in terms of path to playing/making the team anyway, lol.

But they need 2 QBs.  You need to have 4 in camp.  

They have a defined starter.  

They need to bring in a guy to compete for the backup job.  They also need to bring in a guy who they can stash on the practice squad.  I can't imagine they WON'T carry 3 QBs on the active roster, and one on the PS.  They have done that the last 2 years. 

So they have to draft a guy, and they have to sign an UDFA.  

If they brough in Strong (if they could get him in the 4th or 5th), he would absolutely compete to be the backup.  I don't so much care who wins that competition.  But it would likely mean we would have 2 backup QBs who could play in a pinch.  And since we've needed at least 3 QBs per year, that's not a bad thing. And if you look down the road, you could have a backup QB on a rookie deal for 2-3 years, which would be a really great value.  (Assuming he could play.)

Btw, for those who keep saying Wentz is injury prone or has availability issues, as @kingdaddy has referenced a few times:

2016 - 16 games played

2017 - 13 (ACL)

2018 - 11 (Back)

2019 - 16 games played

2020 - 11 (but he was benched, not injured. I looked this up.  The entire Eagles team was hurt EXCEPT for Wentz.  But they benched him in favor of Hurts when the season was basically lost.)

2021 - 17 games played.

So, in 6 years, he's missed a grand total of 8 regular season games due to injury.  He did exit the Eagles playoff game in 2019 with a concussion.  

Missing 8 games in 6 years does not make a player injury prone. Or question his availability.  Especially off of 3 years where he hasn't missed a single game due to injury.  He also has shown incredible toughness and played through a variety of injuries.  

Of the many concerns on Wentz, availability isn't really one of them. Unless he has one of those freak injuries (ACL/concussion/whatever), he plays every game.  He hasn't missed a regular season game due to injury since 2018.  That's 3 years in a row where he hasn't missed a game because of injury.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

Wentz clearly has the better arm and has played more games in the league than TH, no doubt. But TH is not a bad backup should Wentz go down (which history shows is likely) and offers some attributes that Wentz doesn't have, like his wheels. I remember Willie McGinnis, former Patriot turned NFL analyst, commenting on TH early last season about how he's a nightmare for defenders to chase around. He spoke highly of TH. I don't disagree about the arm strength thing but I also don't think we're "doomed" if TH has to play. Our defense should take us a long way vs the schedule we have as long as they step up from the start.

In what universe does Wentz not have wheels? 

Last season Heinicke rushed for 313 yards with 1 TD. Wentz rushed for 215 yards with 1 TD. They're both known as scramblers who can extend plays. But one has an NFL arm and the other doesn't, unfortunately. 

I remember Wentz being an absolute nightmare for us because of his ability to escape and use his legs to extend plays. He burned us so many times that way. Drove me up the wall.

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

They need to bring in a guy to compete for the backup job.  They also need to bring in a guy who they can stash on the practice squad.  I can't imagine they WON'T carry 3 QBs on the active roster, and one on the PS.  They have done that the last 2 years. 

If they brough in Strong (if they could get him in the 4th or 5th), he would absolutely compete to be the backup.  I don't so much care who wins that competition.  But it would likely mean we would have 2 backup QBs who could play in a pinch.  And since we've needed at least 3 QBs per year, that's not a bad thing. And if you look down the road, you could have a backup QB on a rookie deal for 2-3 years, which would be a really great value.  (Assuming he could play.)

Btw, for those who keep saying Wentz is injury prone or has availability issues, as @kingdaddy has referenced a few times:

2016 - 16 games played

2017 - 13 (ACL)

2018 - 11 (Back)

2019 - 16 games played

2020 - 11 (but he was benched, not injured. I looked this up.  The entire Eagles team was hurt EXCEPT for Wentz.  But they benched him in favor of Hurts when the season was basically lost.)

2021 - 17 games played.

So, in 6 years, he's missed a grand total of 8 regular season games due to injury.  He did exit the Eagles playoff game in 2019 with a concussion.  

Missing 8 games in 6 years does not make a player injury prone. Or question his availability.  Especially off of 3 years where he hasn't missed a single game due to injury.  He also has shown incredible toughness and played through a variety of injuries.  

Of the many concerns on Wentz, availability isn't really one of them. Unless he has one of those freak injuries (ACL/concussion/whatever), he plays every game.  He hasn't missed a regular season game due to injury since 2018.  That's 3 years in a row where he hasn't missed a game because of injury.  

Wentz suffered injuries in 16,17,18, 19 at some point in the season including getting knocked out in a playoff game in 2019 when Clowney suckered/concussed him. He is a tough guy for sure but injuries are a part of his history. His benching in 2020 was because he was playing brutal football. He was injured in college as well. Among his injuries are broken wrist, torn ACL and LCL, stress fracture in back, broken ribs and concussion. If that's not a history of injuries in 7 years then I don't know what qualifies as injury prone. 

Your point about a backup QB on a rookie deal as a bargain is laughable. In that case we would definitely be "doomed" if Wentz went down because rookie backup QB's don't win football games unless their last name is Brady. TH would keep us competitive and would beat out any rookie backup. 

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I thought Wentz got foot surgery last season and was out for a few weeks? I remember wondering if he would miss time and effect Philly's draft pick.

Nope.  He had an injury in the preseason but played in all 17 games.

EDIT: I went back and double checked pro football reference.  He played and started all 17 games for the colts last year. He had an ankle sprain at some point during the year, but played.  

I actually thought he got COVID and missed a week, but according to Pro Football Reference, he started all 27 games.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason

9 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Wentz suffered injuries in 16,17,18, 19 at some point in the season including getting knocked out in a playoff game in 2019 when Clowney suckered/concussed him. He is a tough guy for sure but injuries are a part of his history. His benching in 2020 was because he was playing brutal football. He was injured in college as well. Among his injuries are broken wrist, torn ACL and LCL, stress fracture in back, broken ribs and concussion. If that's not a history of injuries in 7 years then I don't know what qualifies as injury prone. 

Your point about a backup QB on a rookie deal as a bargain is laughable. In that case we would definitely be "doomed" if Wentz went down because rookie backup QB's don't win football games unless their last name is Brady. TH would keep us competitive and would beat out any rookie backup. 

The fact remains, he has missed 8 games due to injury, and none since 2018.

He had a 2 year stretch with 2 major injuries.

However, in all the other years, he hasn’t missed a start due to injury.  

Spin it however you like it.  Those are facts. They are the only facts.  They are the undisputed facts.  

And if you read carefully when I said having a backup on a rookie contract, I was talking about 2023.  And I said whoever came in would compete this year with TH for the backup role.  And I didn’t care who won the job.  Best man wins.

However, in 2023, that player would still be on their rookie deal.  But they would be in their second year.  And would definitely be cheaper than re-signing TH or any veteran.  That is, if the player developed into a good backup during their rookie year, assuming they didn’t win the backup job outright.  

If it came down to Strong vs. TH for the backup job, my guess is TH would win the job in 2022.  But Strong would get it in 2023.  

7 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

That nope threw me off for a min. Thought it meant he didn't have a surgery at all but I knew I remembered one somewhere last year.

I think his was the one about removing some bone fragment from some previously unknown foot injury.

Just now, FootballZombie said:

That nope threw me off for a min. Thought it meant he didn't have a surgery at all but I knew I remembered one somewhere last year.

I think his was the one about removing some bone fragment from some previously unknown foot injury.

I edited my post above.  I went back and double checked.  He started all 17 games last year.  (More infor above I’m not going to retype.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The fact remains, he has missed 8 games due to injury, and none since 2018.

He had a 2 year stretch with 2 major injuries.

However, in all the other years, he hasn’t missed a start due to injury.  

Spin it however you like it.  Those are facts. They are the only facts.  They are the undisputed facts.  

And if you read carefully when I said having a backup on a rookie contract, I was talking about 2023.  And I said whoever came in would compete this year with TH for the backup role.  And I didn’t care who won the job.  Best man wins.

However, in 2023, that player would still be on their rookie deal.  But they would be in their second year.  And would definitely be cheaper than re-signing TH or any veteran.  That is, if the player developed into a good backup during their rookie year, assuming they didn’t win the backup job outright.  

If it came down to Strong vs. TH for the backup job, my guess is TH would win the job in 2022.  But Strong would get it in 2023.  

Off the wagon huh?

Better get to a meeting!

16 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Off the wagon huh?

Better get to a meeting!

Nah.  I never argued about TH.  My vow is safe. I stayed away.  I simply pointed out a 2022 rookie in 2023 would have a lower contract value than any veteran in 2023.  

I guess you could say I dipped my toe in the TH discussion only to say I thought he could win a 2022 backup competition.  Shrug.  That’s not an oath breaker in my book.  Maybe an oath stretcher?

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

2016 - 16 games played

2017 - 13 (ACL)

2018 - 11 (Back)

2019 - 16 games played

2021 - 17 games played.

Ok, sure.  I was just pointing out that 1) I think you’re right that if they want a guy, they probably shouldn’t rely on landing him as an UDFA, and 2) that on the bright side, we might be a fairly attractive landing spot for an UDFA (less so if we draft a guy of course).

As to the rest of your post…

I’m pretty sure there are other qbs out there besides this year’s crop of college qbs. :)

As to the injury thing, thanks for sharing.  I for one am still concerned because although he’s big and tough, he has had some serious injuries and he plays with a touch of reckless abandon (or whatever you want to call it).  I’ll add that playing in a new system, combined with the mentality of feeling doubted and wanting to prove ‘the haters’ wrong could potentially exacerbate that style of play.  And on top of that, we haven’t exactly had great luck with qb injuries recently.  Overall it’s not like it’s a huge concern for me, and frankly, a large part of it stems from the fact that I really want him (and Rivera and the team) to succeed.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

EDIT: I went back and double checked pro football reference.  He played and started all 17 games for the colts last year. He had an ankle sprain at some point during the year, but played.  

I actually thought he got COVID and missed a week, but according to Pro Football Reference, he started all 27 games.  

He got COVID in week 17, right before the last two crucial games against the Raiders and Jags. He was tested positive on Monday and already played against the Raiders on Saturday. It remains questionable how physically ready he actually was in these two games (especially since he was not vaccinated).

He had a foot surgery before the season and missed the whole preseason because of it. In week 2, he injured both ankles against the Rams, missing the last drive (which could have been a game winning drive as they were only down by -3). In the following game against the Titans he was questionable and eventually played, but was visibly very limited.

Edited by Vandelay_Industries
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Vandelay_Industries said:

He got COVID in week 17, right before the last two crucial games against the Raiders and Jags. He was tested positive on Monday and already played against the Raiders on Saturday. It remains questionable how physically ready he actually was in these two games (especially since he was not vaccinated).

He had a foot surgery before the season and missed the whole preseason because of it. In week 2, he injured both ankles against the Rams, missing the last drive (which could have been a game winning drive as they were only down by -3). In the following game against the Titans he was questionable and eventually played, but was visibly very limited.

Right.  But with all of that, he was available every game. Which is my point.  Availability isn’t really a concern.  

All QBs get banged up. Or at least most do. Wentz has shown he can play through anything that isn’t a major injury.  Which is good.

This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a good backup on the team.  But it’s also not like the guy misses 3-4 games every year.  He hasn’t missed a regular season game due to injury since 2018.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Right.  But with all of that, he was available every game. Which is my point.  Availability isn’t really a concern.  

All QBs get banged up. Or at least most do. Wentz has shown he can play through anything that isn’t a major injury.  Which is good.

This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t have a good backup on the team.  But it’s also not like the guy misses 3-4 games every year.  He hasn’t missed a regular season game due to injury since 2018.

Purely from the context of being a Washington fan…. This sounds like he’s due (I wanna lol, but knocking on wood seems the smarter play here)

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Purely from the context of being a Washington fan…. This sounds like he’s due (I wanna lol, but knocking on wood seems the smarter play here)

Eh, maybe.  And yeah, knocking on something is a pretty good idea.

But he should be fairly healthy heading into this season.  You would think his ankle and foot problems are probably healed up by now.  His knee and back issues are a long time ago. If they were going to be chronic, we'd have seen evidence of that by now.  

My concern would be the same with absolutely any QB: the random, completely unexpected unfortunate injury.  Like if he was rolled up on again and injured his ACL again.  Or he was hit in the head and got another concussion.  Or he was following thru and broke his hand on somebody's helmet. Or somebody steps on his ankle and it gets twisted really badly. 

These things can happen to anybody at any time.  Some degree of injury history is "bad luck."  At least initially.  The issue is, once you've had an injury to a specific body part, it is easier to re-injure that body part.  

However, again, you tend to see that happen pretty quickly.  Scherff has, at this point, knee issues.  He keeps getting knee injuries.  You'd expect that trend to continue. 

Concussions can have a compounding effect. The more you get, the easier it is to get them, and the longer it takes to recover. 

Wentz doesn't seem to have those type of issues.

But you never know.  He could play 16 snaps and tear his Achilles.  Fitzy had never had hip problems, then he did and was gone.  Shrug.  It can happen to anybody.  

You never know.  You hope for the best.  You create as good a backup situation as you can, and hope you don't have to use it for very long.  As I've said, I think the Commanders have a fine backup situation right now.  TH could finish a game and start a game or two if needed, assuming TH is the backup.  But unless you are SUPER DUPER lucky, and you have either an undiscovered Kurt Warner, Tom Brady or Steve Young on your bench, if you lose your starter for any length of time, you're pretty much screwed. 

But those are the exceptions to the rule.  Young's rise might be the most astonishing in NFL history, because he was playing behind Joe effing Montana, 4 time SB winner. Montana got hurt, Young took his job.  Then the 49ers traded Montana to the Chiefs.  And Montana wasn't done.  He played well for Marty.  It would have been like if Brady got hurt, and somebody came in and took his job, and Brady was traded.  It's almost unfathomable.  (Brady replaced Bledsoe, and Warner replaced Trent Green.  Both of whom had good careers, but neither of which were Joe Cool.)

Last year, Wilson, who had been super durable, got hurt, Geno Smith came in, started 3 games.  They went 1-2, but he wasn't very good and Wilson rushed back, and then HE wasn't very good, until the end of the season.  I don't know if the Seahawks were going to challenge for a playoff spot anyway (maybe, they finished 7-10, didn't have Wilson for 3 games, and had a very diminished Wilson for 3 games) but his injury derailed the season. 

That's kindof what I expect if Wentz goes down, regardless of who the backup is.  And that's not a knock on anybody.  It just is what it is in the NFL.  If you're starter goes down, the reason the backup is the backup is because he's not as good as the starter, and therefore you win less and loose more.  

Listened to Galdi's interview with Chris Long this morning on his podcast.  It was very interesting.  Chris Long played with Carson in 2017 and 2018 in Philly.  

Here's a brief summary:

-  Chris kept saying he thought Carson was "a really good guy."  (I think he repeated it like 4 or 5 times.  Even at one point said "he's my guy."  Said that was important for everybody to know because it seemed like he had been portrayed as an "ax murderer" which isn't true.  (His words, not mine.)

-  He said the biggest thing with Carson seemed to be he was a bit stubborn.  Both on the field and off.  A Ron Rivera word choice might have been "maturity."  

-  He said that Carson hasn't played as well has he had in 2017, but that probably wasn't realistic anymore.  He did say he would "take a bet on the upside," because there is plenty of upside left.  He said (paraphrasing) "You don't need 2017 Carson.  But he still has enough to be extremely successful." He went on to list all of the upside things, which I won't do here. But it was the list we all know about. 

-  He did say bluntly (several times) Carson needs to figure out how to be a better teammate.  He said that's an area he needs to work on.  I think if you boil it down, Carson seems like a bit of a loner, an introvert.  He doesn't have that magnetic personality that draws people to him or commands a room when he walks into it.  Long said that's fine, but he needs to find new ways to connect with his teammates, because that's really important for a QB. He also mentioned, when you're playing at an MVP level, nobody cares.  But if you're not, this is really important.  

-  He said there were 3 things which Carson needs to do in order to be successful: 

a) Know when to "Burn the ball" ie: know when a play is over and either hit the checkdown, throw the ball away, whatever.  He said this was somewhat part of the stubbornness: Carson doesn't like to give up on plays and he stubbornly tries to make the best of every play.  

b) Find ways to connect to his teammates better, develop relationships with them.  Specifically on offense, but really across the board.  

c) He has to make the transition quickly, "it's not like being a first round pick anymore. He needs to learn the offense, there can't be a slow month, there can't be a slow start."

- (I thought this was REALLY insightful) Questioned his mindset, whether Carson was going to start over (learn from his mistakes and evolve) or "do thing he's been doing harder." (Which would translate into pressing and not playing within the confines of the offense.  To me, this is probably the biggest question. We won't know the answer for a while.

- Long said he thinks Wentz is going to be extremely motivated and be "the best version of himself."

- He addressed the scuffle between him and Sproles.  Long said he had never heard about the scuffle until 2 months ago.  He said he has no idea if it happened or not, and didn't defend Carson, but he did say it's really difficult to be hurt in the league.  And even he had days when it was really hard for him to watch his teammates play and not be able to contribute.  He said it's more than possible he might have meant something rather innocuous like "Damn, I really want to be out there with the guys" but it didn't come out right, and Sproles, as a veteran, called him on it.  And then tempers might have flared.  However, again, Long said he never heard of this incident until the reporting 2 months ago, so take that for what you will.

Overall, my key takeaways:

-  I REALLY hope changing systems and schemes and having an entirely new set of people in his ears allow him to completely hit the reset button.  

-  I REALLY hope Turner is able to design a system which fits Carson, and allows him to take enough deep shots where he might feel comfortable giving up on plays.  I have this thought maybe the Pederson/Reich WCO style offense limited the down-field opportunities in favor of quick-game and mid-level throws, when Carson had an opportunity to take a deep shot, he just wouldn't let it go.  Maybe Turner's system is a better fit for him.

-  I think working specifically with Rivera might be a game changer for him.  Rivera strikes me as a guy who really can connect with just about anybody.  And I think having that kind of connection with Wentz could really do him wonders in the personal interaction department.  

So there you have it.  

So much is riding on Wentz working out.  I think there's a very good chance he does.  But I also think Chris Long's advice is really insightful, and I hope somebody gives it to him.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Let’s hope for best. In my mind; this is Rivera’s QB last shot. So, it better work out.

If we have to look at qb in 23; get a new team in here to do it. I wouldn’t trust Rivera and his team to do that.

As much as I like RR as a person and coach verses HC but I do like him as HC to an extent, this is true.  But @Skinsinparadise has said who would be as good as RR with the players, etc. to want to work for Snyder.  Snyder would call on Joe Gibbs again to find us a HC.  Just a guess on my part.  Snyder went to Joe for recommendations and I think RR was Joe's choice.  I could be wrong. :)  

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Listened to Galdi's interview with Chris Long this morning on his podcast.  It was very interesting.  Chris Long played with Carson in 2017 and 2018 in Philly.  

So much is riding on Wentz working out.  I think there's a very good chance he does.  But I also think Chris Long's advice is really insightful, and I hope somebody gives it to him.  

I listeneed to it this morning, too.  Good summary. 

• Like 1

One thing that we've seen re: the teammate thing is that the Washington locker room seems to be lower-key / generally more professional and that's probably better for a guy like Wentz. I tend to think that's true. And look at the leaders on offense: guys like Terry, Chase Roullier, AG, Logan Thomas... these all seem like mature, low-key guys. I think Carson will have a much easier time gelling with guys like that, and guys like Jon Allen on defense than perhaps his experience in Philly. Plus Heinicke, whom the locker room loves, is also a low-key kinda quiet guy. It's not like Wentz has another Jalen Hurts type behind him sauntering around the locker room acting like The Guy. And in terms of rah-rah, Chase Young already has that role for damn near the whole team. Plus as has been mentioned, there's Ron Rivera the undisputed tone setter at the front of everything. Culture-wise this just seems like a good situation for Carson.

• Like 4