Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, SpacePenguin said:

That Heinicke article is some next level clickbaiting. It tricks everyone into replying. No matter what kinda lunatic someone is, there is gonna be some part they disagree with. It's either gonna result in the lunatic response of, "He's too valuable to trade", or just people laughing at the career year phrase. I'm not gonna bother replying but it'd be something like this:

Career year in that the majority of his playing time will likely be that year.

I didn't read it. I just figured it would annoy z.  :ols:

this ones better.

https://www.tomorrowtides.com/heinicke-the-future-of-the-.html

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Gotta imagine a lot of that 7 Mil is incentive based, since outside of 2 Mil signing bonus as a rookie, Geno has never had a cap hit above 1.2 Mil

Dude has an oppo to almost double his career earnings in year 11. Don't see that to often.

I think they must want Geno to be their tank commander.

With this move they officially have entered the Bryce Young sweepstakes.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

I think they must want Geno to be their tank commander.

With this move they officially have entered the Bryce Young sweepstakes.

I don't think we can say that our loud until after the draft. W/ 2 2nd rounders, they can jump up a couple spots easily if a guy they like slips.

1 hour ago, Conn said:

Holy **** how do you stand the facebook contingent of fans I read a dozen comments and wanted to end it all

I dont read the articles or especially the fan comments. Not sure why I follow any washamacallits FB pages. They're full of idiots. I follow a bunch of eagles pages that are pretty good.

• Like 1

Really looking forward to when we can stop talking about Wentz in the context of the trade and the media coverage of the trade drama and move on to over-analyzing mini camp and training camp reports and getting beat writer opinions on how he looks on the field etc. Soon enough now 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Conn said:

Really looking forward to when we can stop talking about Wentz in the context of the trade and the media coverage of the trade drama and move on to over-analyzing mini camp and training camp reports and getting beat writer opinions on how he looks on the field etc. Soon enough now 

It'll probably be a collective negative, until the season starts and our offense looks really good.

Matt Bowen on Keim's podcast

A.  Wentz is a major upgrade over Heinicke.  He sees Heinicke as a backup.

B.  Wentz threatening all three levels of the field should help this offense

C.  Thinks Turner's offense is a better fit versus Indy -- Turner's offense sets up the vertical routes well

D.  Thinks his weakness is he doesn't make enough underneath throws when that's his best bet.  Makes ill advised throws.  Accuracy not always hot because his upper body doesn't always marry his lower body

E.  He thinks Wentz in particular needs Logan Thomas back healthy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It'll probably be a collective negative, until the season starts and our offense looks really good.

I’m not sure, probably depends on how he picks up the offense and SIP says he’s a football genius so I trust he’ll be in the playbook at least unlike our last former Eagles QB.

But I truly think these beat reporters are going to see throws ripped across the field and down the seam that they’ve never seen here before, and might change their tune a bit. I agree that the consensus going into camp will be negative with some gossipy anticipation just waiting for the collapse. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

I’m not sure, probably depends on how he picks up the offense and SIP says he’s a football genius so I trust he’ll be in the playbook at least unlike our last former Eagles QB.

But I truly think these beat reporters are going to see throws ripped across the field and down the seam that they’ve never seen here before, and might change their tune a bit. I agree that the consensus going into camp will be negative with some gossipy anticipation just waiting for the collapse. 

Yeah I agree.  I said back when the reporters were almost all acting like he's Freddy Krueger personality wise when the trade was made, that they'd learn fast that's nonsense and that he's a nice guy.  Most have seen that and commented on it.  There are a few stubbornly clinging to it but most backed off.

I've been to a few training camps and one of the coolest things to see at least for me is it gives you a really good window into the QBs because you see them throw a crazy amount of repetitions.  So its one spot that i feel that you can get a handle on by watching camp especially when it comes to velocity and accuracy.  I'd put money that the reporters going to camp are going to be wowed.  Wentz arguably isn't an elite QB at this given time but does have elite talent.  So I think that will be easily seen in camp.   

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Koolblue13 said:

BUT IT COULD LOOK SO MUCH BETTER IF WENTZ KNEW HOW TO DO THE THING THAT HE DIDN'T DO OR SOMETHING

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

<snip>  Wentz arguably isn't an elite QB at this given time but does have elite talent.  So I think that will be easily seen in camp.   

I wonder how many examples there are of QB's getting better after they've had elite play diminish.  I hope he can go back to being the guy I hated but I can't think of many examples of that happening.

I think what’s going to happen is Wentz will not hit a checkdown or two and a few talking heads are going to freaking explode.  My guess is the first one will be Russell.  But that’s fine with me because I change the channel whenever that bloviating idiot is on. Though that’s even easier jo because I haven’t listened to live radio in over a year.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Conn said:

But I truly think these beat reporters are going to see throws ripped across the field and down the seam that they’ve never seen here before

Let me get this straight, so you are saying we have never had a legit QB here in over 20 years now before Wentz?

Edited by zCommander

1 hour ago, zCommander said:

Let me get this straight, so you are saying we have never had a legit QB here in over 20 years now before Wentz?

I’m saying he’s capable of consistently throwing balls we haven’t seen from a QB in 20 years. Any other questions aside, his arm and some of the throws he’s capable of, it’s special. Any potential flaws can be argued, but that’s his undeniable upside—he can make throws that the vast majority of QBs can’t. Yes, that includes Griffin—who was basically the only QB in those 20 years that you could argue had the physical talent and arm to flash similarly special throws on occasion, though it was never harnessed with the mind for football or accuracy that would have let him reach his immense potential as a passer. 

Mind you, plenty of good QBs can’t make those throws and compensate. Kirk is the best QB we’ve had in those 20 years despite not being able to make those special throws. I’m not saying it’s the only quality that can make a QB special or even good. And I’m not just talking about raw arm strength, this isn’t Jamarcus Russell heaving the ball 70 yards that I’m talking about, it’s more nuanced than that. But Wentz has the natural arm talent and, though not as consistent, placement ability that on his best days can have him making throws that only a small category of current passers can show off: Mahomes, Rodgers, Herbert, Stafford are the main ones. 

There will be a lot more involved in succeeding here if it’s possible for him to do so, but we’ll see some absolutely special throws in between everything else. Consistency has been the problem, and when he displayed it early in his career he was an MVP-level talent. He may not be that anymore but he still flashes the special arm, often. 

So yeah, we haven’t had anyone in 20 years quite like that. Not sure what’s so controversial about that—Brunell, McNabb, Griffin, Kirk, Smith—not even just in comparing raw arm strength, none of them even come close in the elite arm category when you’re talking about the ability to display elite velocity, touch, and ball placement down the field. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Conn said:

I’m saying he’s capable of consistently throwing balls we haven’t seen from a QB in 20 years.

You're right.  And the key word in your post is "consistently."

I disagree about Griffin's arm strength though.  Griffin could make every throw in football.  He had a howitzer attached to his right shoulder.  If he could read the play right and get to the right target in the timing of the rhythm of the play, he could make any throw in football. 

I remember early in his rookie training camp, the Shanahans were WEARING OUT the 15 yard out route in practice. QB in the middle of the field, and throw to the sideline.  Mostly as a teaching tool of proper footwork and technique: Take a 5 step drop, plant, and THROW.  And the balls were arriving like they were fired out of an air cannon. Not always 100% accurate (though in those drills he did hit them pretty well). But it was DAMN impressive.  Contrast that with Cousins, who would throw the same route, and my memory was the balls were later getting there, but still definitely at an NFL level.  Ironically, Sexy Rexy had the biggest issue with them, his balls would float on him, often had arc and were very often high.  

(I went to several training camp practices Griffin's rookie year.)

The problem was, in game, Griffin couldn't see it in time so he was generally on his ass before he could actually show off the arm.  He was, overall, a very bad QB.  But he had a GREAT arm.  The other problem, he didn't have the fastest release, if memory serves.  But man, when he wanted to throw a dart, he could drill it with just about anybody.  

The difference with Wentz is capable of reading the play AND making the throws. 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, zCommander said:

You are now SHOCKED! I don't buy players jerseys. T-shirts with team name is more than enough for me. 🙂

Interesting.  That’s something we have in common.  I own 4 jerseys:  Grimm, Jacoby, Taylor and one a family member bought me as a joke that has “Pot Roast” on the back.  

Grimm and Jacoby were bought after they retired.  Taylor was the only active player’s jersey I ever bought.  And the. He was murdered.  And that was the last time I did that.  

20 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Interesting.  That’s something we have in common.  I own 4 jerseys:  Grimm, Jacoby, Taylor and one a family member bought me as a joke that has “Pot Roast” on the back.  

Grimm and Jacoby were bought after they retired.  Taylor was the only active player’s jersey I ever bought.  And the. He was murdered.  And that was the last time I did that.  

Nice. I won a Taylor jersey couple of years back at my local bar. I really don't go to games. I have been to like 3 in the last 20 years. Will see if that changes this year.

28 minutes ago, zCommander said:

Nice. I won a Taylor jersey couple of years back at my local bar. I really don't go to games. I have been to like 3 in the last 20 years. Will see if that changes this year.

I was a season ticket holder from 2004 - 2010.  Not that long but long enough.  I used to alternate the OL jerseys for a whole, then I started wearing my Taylor jersey.  The last game I wore that jersey was the Buffalo game after he was murdered. 

There was a point where I stopped wearing the jerseys altogether to games, because the product on the field was so bad it was kidof insulting to the HOF worthy players to represent their jerseys at that dribble.  

If I had been able to go to the Tampa playoff game I would have worn Jacoby.  That was always the lucky jersey. I won’t wear Taylor again.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I've never really been much of a jersey or "gear" person in general, myself. My only gear is a Sean Taylor jersey I got in 2006 and a Skins cap I got probably 10 years ago.

I have a lot of T-shirts and polos.  A couple quarter zips and my 4 jerseys.  

And hats.  I have a lot of hats.  For probably 2 decades, if I wasn’t at work I was wearing a black Skins hat.