Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Going forward I can’t imagine still spending so much time talking about a backup. In the past I’ve been guilty of it because it’s so easy to find fault in some of these Hive posts, but I won’t do it anymore. I can’t speak for anyone else but now that we’re almost to the point in the offseason where we can read camp reports about a pedigreed, talented (if flawed) QB handpicked by Rivera with a lot riding on his performance—an actual gunslinger at the position—I don’t feel the need to ever type the name “Heinicke” again until such time as he’s relevant—and we’re all screwed if that time comes anyways. I just don’t see the point.

The hope has to be that a year from now, it would be like still talking about Trey Quinn for some reason. An irrelevant bit of trivia, a nice story that some used to get excited about until we had more information. 

Training camp is gonna be a blast to talk about given the QB talent Rivera is ride-or-dying with. Beat reporters are all starting at different points on the scale with how much faith they have or don’t have in Wentz being good, but they’re going to see throws they’ve NEVER seen in their careers here just casually launched, daily. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Conn said:

Going forward I can’t imagine still spending so much time talking about a backup. In the past I’ve been guilty of it because it’s so easy to find fault in some of these Hive posts, but I won’t do it anymore.

I also vow to ignore it, and then they suck me back in.  It’s almost like the glorification of his play evolves over time with a few of these guys.  They’ve always blamed everything but Heineke for his poor performances, with time - that’s only gotten more out of wack.  I’d bet Taylor himself thinks less of his play than some of our posters here.  Not sure why I expected it to come back to earth over time.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Haha 2

@BatteredFanSyndrome and @Conn

I will sign the pact as well.  

Though I reserve the right to post in preseason game day threads about TH when he plays.

Otherwise, there is no reason to continue to talk about a backup QB.  

I will caution all though, the most popular person in Washington is often the backup QB.  So if Wentz struggles, or even if he just doesn’t approximate God, I expect a huge and loud teeth mashing by the hive. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Well, hopefully there will be another backup we can talk about. Imagine the talk though, if we draft a qb in Round 2.

Draft? Pfft

Voluntary Offseason workouts are before then and we only got 2 arms. Gotta bring in some dudes before then and after that happens this whole debate gets gasoline, even if the guys brought in are absolute scrubs.

We got a little over a week at best.

2 hours ago, Conn said:

Going forward I can’t imagine still spending so much time talking about a backup. In the past I’ve been guilty of it because it’s so easy to find fault in some of these Hive posts, but I won’t do it anymore.

But it'll be so boring to have spent all this time talking about Wentz just to ignore him because Heinicke won the starting job in training camp.😩

1 minute ago, Warhead36 said:

If I were a betting man I'd bet my mortgage we don't take a QB until the 5th at the absolute earliest.

If I were a betting man I’d probably agree...unless we move back from #11....if we do that, game on for a QB.

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Draft? Pfft

Voluntary Offseason workouts are before then and we only got 2 arms. Gotta bring in some dudes before then and after that happens this whole debate gets gasoline, even if the guys brought in are absolute scrubs.

We got a little over a week at best.

They have Gilbert’s number.  Wouldn’t be surprised to see him at a workout.

11 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

If I were a betting man I'd bet my mortgage we don't take a QB until the 5th at the absolute earliest.

Hope your right and the that backup QB is Jack Caon from ND.  I am impressed with him especially as a late 3 day pick.  Someone posted on here that he was rated much higher than late Day 3.  

12 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I think if Strong is there in the 4th we’ll grab him. 

if not we’ll get somebody in the 5th or later.

With the needs at backup interior DL, MLB, and a few other positions, I think drafting a QB in the second is unlikely. 

Though I do think they could try and move back a bit from their second pick and grab another pick in the second or third.  

I read a piece on the Athletic where "executives" commented on the off-season so far for each team.  It came out a few days ago, so somebody else ( @Skinsinparadise ) might have referenced it somewhere already.  But I just read it last night.  

Basically, all of them trashed the Wentz deal.  I believe Sheehan put out a podcast on Saturday where he went through this.  I didn't listen to it, but it was him and Thom, so I assume they also went to town on the trade, again.

I have no idea how Wentz is going to work out.  But damn, do I ever WANT it to work out well.  Not just because I want the team to win, and I think if Wentz plays well, the team will be a playoff contender.  But also because I would really like to "nanner nanner" all the doom and gloom, the glass is not only half empty, but has barbed wire around it and poison in it folks. 

I get the fact Wentz wasn't the ideal choice, but the way people are talking about him, he's like the second coming of Jeff George.  Which, I really don't think is fair.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Per NBCSportsEdge: (The Athletics Mike Sando)

The Commanders in March acquired Wentz and a second rounder from the Colts in exchange for a second-round pick and two third rounders. Washington agreed to pay Wentz's $28 million guaranteed compensation, a perplexing concession if no other team wanted Wentz after the disastrous end to his one season in Indianapolis. “If you polled the entire league and said you can have Taylor Heinicke for $2 million and you have $26 million to spend plus two third-round picks, or you can have Carson Wentz, I’m pretty sure the majority would prefer Heinicke,” an executive told Sando. “I’d rather have Baker Mayfield and $8 million.” Washington's pursuit of Wentz speaks to the organization's desperation for a viable starting quarterback after Heinicke was exposed in 2021. Wentz's best case scenario is a few years as the team's QB before they can draft and develop a long-term option. 

1 minute ago, kingdaddy said:

Per NBCSportsEdge: (The Athletics Mike Sando)

The Commanders in March acquired Wentz and a second rounder from the Colts in exchange for a second-round pick and two third rounders. Washington agreed to pay Wentz's $28 million guaranteed compensation, a perplexing concession if no other team wanted Wentz after the disastrous end to his one season in Indianapolis. “If you polled the entire league and said you can have Taylor Heinicke for $2 million and you have $26 million to spend plus two third-round picks, or you can have Carson Wentz, I’m pretty sure the majority would prefer Heinicke,” an executive told Sando. “I’d rather have Baker Mayfield and $8 million.” Washington's pursuit of Wentz speaks to the organization's desperation for a viable starting quarterback after Heinicke was exposed in 2021. Wentz's best case scenario is a few years as the team's QB before they can draft and develop a long-term option. 

Thats Wentz best case scenario? Haha, how does that make sense? His best case scenario is his MVP level season because he has shown he can play at that level. I dont expect him to, but we have seen what he is at his best so its silly to pretend that didnt happen. The whole conversation from the media is stupid because if the Colts won one of those last two games no one would be talking about the Colts trading Wentz because it wouldnt happen. I have never seen a QB with a 4 to 1 TD-INT ratio trashed like a joke of an QB. Its surreal. 

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

Thats Wentz best case scenario? Haha, how does that make sense? His best case scenario is his MVP level season because he has shown he can play at that level. I dont expect him to, but we have seen what he is at his best so its silly to pretend that didnt happen. The whole conversation from the media is stupid because if the Colts won one of those last two games no one would be talking about the Colts trading Wentz because it wouldnt happen. I have never seen a QB with a 4 to 1 TD-INT ratio trashed like a joke of an QB. Its surreal. 

This post by the writer is consistent with how many in the media love to take shots at the WFT organization. That being said, there is likely some truth to what the guy is saying in that the Commanders overpaid for Wentz out of desperation. It is interesting that a consensus of GM's would roll with TH and the cap money over Wentz (if that speculation is true). 

I agree with your take on Wentz....who's to say what his ceiling is? No one thought Case Keenum would have the kind of year he had in Minnesota a few years back...sometimes the coaching and team situation is just better for a guy then in other places. 

6 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

This post by the writer is consistent with how many in the media love to take shots at the WFT organization. That being said, there is likely some truth to what the guy is saying in that the Commanders overpaid for Wentz out of desperation. It is interesting that a consensus of GM's would roll with TH and the cap money over Wentz (if that speculation is true). 

I agree with your take on Wentz....who's to say what his ceiling is? No one thought Case Keenum would have the kind of year he had in Minnesota a few years back...sometimes the coaching and team situation is just better for a guy then in other places. 

There's no "consensus" within GMs that they'd roll with TH + the cap space instead of Wentz. It was one rando they talked to who then said he'd guess others would agree with him. But I don't see that as likely.

The question is basically "Would you take a guy who has shown that he doesn't have legit NFL starter talent for cheap, or a guy who's the same age and has shown in the recent past that he can play at an upper echelon level for the same money that most decent starting NFL QBs make?"

TH being cheap is lovely and all, but he's not a starting NFL QB so how cheap he is is basically irrelevant.

• Like 2

I know people know this, but it has to be repeated because of how funny it is—that is one (obviously deeply opinionated) ”executive’s” speculation about what a consensus of GM’s would say, with no context—not an actual consensus of GM’s. It’s pretty stupid actually. 

One thing these writers swept up in the narrative should ask themselves is—if Wentz had a super high quality pro bowl season for us this year, would he even be in the conversation for something like Comeback Player of the Year? No, obviously not, because he was mostly pretty damn good last year despite the drama, until he wasn’t. The hate and the way Irsay’s narrative has almost universally swept through the media apparatus is hilarious, but scary.

Edited by Conn
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I think it’s Irsay’s narrative coupled with it being Washington that made the move.  If Pittsburgh made the deal, it would be applauded.

This is fair. And we don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt whatsoever, of course. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

This is fair. And we don’t deserve the benefit of the doubt whatsoever, of course. 

Agreed, + I just don't put much stock in what everyone is saying.  As a betting man, it's generally good to bet against the public and I see no reason to go against that theory here as well.  Barring Wentz getting eaten up by the Fed Ex Turf Monster, I see no reason why he can't add some pop to this offense and prove these folks wrong.

• Like 1