Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

38 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Yeah a few of us have brought up Ertz in the FA thread. Seems like an obvious move at this stage.

Has nobody bothered to mock up Wentz in our new uni’s yet ????

Ask and receive!  Found this...

PHOTO-Carson-Wentz-In-A-Washington-Comma

Edited by Bifflog
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Conn said:

The fact that we raised our offer when there were other teams involved IS the evidence unless you just really enjoy mental gymnastics. It’s how every single trade in the NFL works.

I’ll reiterate that the only reason you even know what our alleged opening offer was is because the Colts leaked it, bc they’re extremely invested in spinning the narrative that they just pulled off a miracle deal and the fans should be thankful they even got that much, to appease their fans who don’t have a 1st round pick or a QB right now.

We don't know what other teams (if any) offered.

But I can see a situation/scenario where Indy said "Yeah, your opening offer isn't strong enough, give us this..." and Ron and Martin and whatever other braintrusts that were sitting there said, "Hmmm, um, okay" and that's it.  I mean, that would kind of fit the definition of negotiating against yourselves but I think our elite talent evaluators saw Rodgers and Wilson go off the board the other day and panicked a little bit.  

IMO, they didn't want to have to battle it out in free agency for Troobs, Wentz, Jimmy G and whoever else.   I mean, we just got shut down like a fat girl on prom night in regards to Rodgers and more importantly, Wilson.  If anyone in Ashburn has half a brain, they had to have some idea that it would be very likely we'd get shut out of the FA quarterback frenzy altogether.  

So they went ahead and swung a trade in which the player couldn't say "no."  IIRC, Wentz doesn't have a no trade clause.  And if Indy understood that, they knew they kinda had us over a barrel and knew they could ask for higher picks because we didn't want to be left out in the cold.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, Conn said:

The fact that we raised our offer when there were other teams involved IS the evidence unless you just really enjoy mental gymnastics. It’s how every single trade in the NFL works.

I’ll reiterate that the only reason you even know what our alleged opening offer was is because the Colts leaked it, bc they’re extremely invested in spinning the narrative that they just pulled off a miracle deal and the fans should be thankful they even got that much, to appease their fans who don’t have a 1st round pick or a QB right now.

Evidence or no evidence, we put ourselves in a position where we would believe any bluff they made. It is what it is....I'll bet RR is thinking positive and that if this works out they got him for a bargain. RR must've been big on getting Wentz after being shunned by others when he made better offers both times....can't blame him. Now he can move forward and try to make this work. 

• Like 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

It's tricky with him because he's missed a ton of games in his career and is coming off injury. I am watching NFL Network now, feels like that trade is coming soon. 

Yep.  We are sitting in a place where NO, Pitts, Tenn, TB and Det. all in the first round might want to move up to #11 for a QB.  You have to look at see how many 2nd and 3rd rounders they have, and one of those teams might want to do business in the 2nd round for a QB tool

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Carr would have been an option and his named is being mentioned as a possible trade candidate.  But RR already got his guy.

McDaniels already came out and said he likes Carr. I like him but another guy that would have cost us a lot more money both in years and draft capital. 

• Like 1

Just now, RWJ said:

Yep.  We are sitting in a place where NO, Pitts, Tenn, TB and Det. all in the first round might want to move up to #11 for a QB.  You have to look at see how many 2nd and 3rd rounders they have, and one of those teams might want to do business in the 2nd round for a QB tool

Could be for QB.  I think more likely for an edge rusher or O lineman. 

Just now, RWJ said:

We almost have to trade out of 11 now unless a stud we love falls to us. I agree, someone is gonna want to come up to 11....

• Thumb up 1

We made an offer for Wentz. They said no.

We made an offer for Wilson, he said no. 

After Wilson, the Steelers and some other teams reached out to the Colts trying to trade for Wentz. 

We upped our offer and the Colts said yes.

These are things we know and to make it sound Ike we just decided to up our offer for no reason, is ****ing stupid. 

This deal is what it took to get Wentz, instead of him going to another team. If we didn't up the offer, we'd still have no QB.

These are the facts we have right now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

6 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

What would be your solution? Russell didn’t wanna come here Rodgers reupped and Watson is an unknown. There’s no sure thing rookie qb in this year’s draft. So…

Dont worry I’ll wait!

Been waiting for 35+ years bro, what's one more?

Wentz isn't a long term solution.  I said it yesterday, I'll say it again here...this is essentially a contract year for him as nothing's guaranteed to him after this season.  We can cut him after this season and not have any cap hit, IIRC.  

I think the worst possible thing that could happen is that he balls out this year, stays healthy, we get 10-11 wins and a playoff berth, we don't cut him and he reverts back to his mediocre/crappy form over the last two years of his contract.  Wouldn't be the first time a pro athlete had a monster season in a contract year.  

There's no such thing as a sure thing rookie QB anywhere.  Look how Trevor Lawrence did this year.  I'd have selected two QBs this year and let them battle it out.  IMO, that'd at least have been more interesting than Wentz.  

Wentz is a slightly more attractive 2022 version of Fitzy.  Fitzy was supposed to be a bandaid for a year and give us a respectable season so we didn't look like a total **** show.  I view Wentz the same way.  He doesn't solve any long term options for us, most likely.  

8 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Ask and receive!  Found this...

PHOTO-Carson-Wentz-In-A-Washington-Comma

That "I can't believe I just threw a pick 6" set of eyes.  Very believable.  

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Could be for QB.  I think more likely for an edge rusher or O lineman. 

This for @kingdaddy too. :)  True.  IF there is a player that a team falls in love (i.e., QB, EDGE whatever) they will move up.  I went to 2022 NFL Trade Value Chart (drafttek.com) for kicks and looked at Detroit at #32.  We could trade our #11, for their #32, #66, #97.  That would be their 1st, 2nd and two 3rds for our #11.  Just one example.  :)  If that went down we'd have a 1st two 2nds, two 3rds, 4th, 6, two 7ths this year. :)  From the trade with Colts and Detroit if they wanted to trade.  One example.    Sorry folks.  The Jets own the #32.  

Edited by RWJ

54 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I forgot to mention one of the Indy reporters in the interviews I listented to said he believes Carson has to be stunned on how this all went down.  He was suggesting that if he needed a wake up call, this is it.

The thought is if this doesn't motivate Carson, nothing else probably will.  Also based on other things said by others, Carson is a really driven guy so hopefully he's fired up coming into this season.

Absolutely.  I’ll add that I actually really like the fact that three things have been put out in the press for Washington players to read:

1) That he’s a hard worker.

2) That he’s got… well, however you want to describe the “leadership”/“pouting”/etc issues.  Lowers the bar allowing his teammates to be pleasantly surprised (hopefully) when the issues aren’t as bad as proclaimed.  No guarantees here of course, but I think it’s more likely to help than hurt.

3) That he’s an introvert.  Not all introverts are the same obviously, but similar to my 2nd point, this helps set an expectation for teammates.  Again, no guarantees his teammates know what to do with that info, but (again) probably more likely to help than hurt.

Sidenote, I wonder how the relationship between Wentz and Heinicke will go.  Maybe it doesn’t matter, but I could see it being a good situation for Wentz - Heinicke isn’t much of a threat, but he’s very competitive.  He also knows the offense and I’m thinking (speculating) that he’s loyal to the team/Turner and will be motivated to help in any way he can.  

On the flip side, RR talked about wanting similar guys in the qb room and Heinicke can’t at all stretch the field like Wentz.  Not sure the team can find a better option, but it does make me wonder…

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Or we got desperate when the QB we were after got traded to another just a day before so we upped our offer on Wentz.

I can play the what if game too. You have nothing to support that.

Is your contention that the other teams after Wentz in this crazy QB market definitely offered less than our initial offer? How is that a logical conclusion other than in the service of willfully convincing yourself that we were bidding against ourselves? That is way less logical. 

It’s also interesting that you won’t address my point that there is obvious spin doctoring going on in the media from the Colts, given the leaking of our initial offer to appease their fans. And that you’re falling for it. 

2 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Been waiting for 35+ years bro, what's one more?

Wentz isn't a long term solution.  I said it yesterday, I'll say it again here...this is essentially a contract year for him as nothing's guaranteed to him after this season.  We can cut him after this season and not have any cap hit, IIRC.  

I think the worst possible thing that could happen is that he balls out this year, stays healthy, we get 10-11 wins and a playoff berth, we don't cut him and he reverts back to his mediocre/crappy form over the last two years of his contract.  Wouldn't be the first time a pro athlete had a monster season in a contract year.  

There's no such thing as a sure thing rookie QB anywhere.  Look how Trevor Lawrence did this year.  I'd have selected two QBs this year and let them battle it out.  IMO, that'd at least have been more interesting than Wentz.  

Wentz is a slightly more attractive 2022 version of Fitzy.  Fitzy was supposed to be a bandaid for a year and give us a respectable season so we didn't look like a total **** show.  I view Wentz the same way.  He doesn't solve any long term options for us, most likely.  

No solution just complaining. Sure ideally we draft a stud qb who plays for 12 years but how many times has that happened for us or just about 28 other teams. For every Mahomes or Allen, there are a dozen or more flops. That’s why teams are always looking for a qb. 

Bucs and Rams won the last two with Brady and Stafford. They didn’t draft them. 

Just now, Conn said:

Russini said the Colts had other suitors for Wentz, to me that makes sense given the QB market

It does make sense.  

I can also see a scenario where the Colts were like "we're gonna spite trade Wentz to Washington, LOL" and pulled the trigger.  I mean, I have to think we're like the NFL's version of Siberia right now.  

1 minute ago, SpacePenguin said:

I don't think they'll ever grow on me. They don't look any better now than they did on those poor manequins.

Wait till Wentz throws a game ending pick while wearing them.  Think they're bad now?  Just you wait.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Conn said:

It’s also interesting that you won’t address my point that there is obvious spin doctoring going on in the media from the Colts, given the leaking of our initial offer to appease their fans.

I didn't want to acknowledge it b/c its nonsensical. If you want to believe the entire media apparatus is out to get your viewpoint that's on you.

I choose not to wear the tinfoil hat to make my argument.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

No solution just complaining. Sure ideally we draft a stud qb who plays for 12 years but how many times has that happened for us or just about 28 other teams. For every Mahomes or Allen, there are a dozen or more flops. That’s why teams are always looking for a qb. 

Bucs and Rams won the last two with Brady and Stafford. They didn’t draft them. 

Let me know when we trade for a Brady or Stafford and I'll be happy.  

41 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Yeah I saw it. It came at the very end of an 11 paragraph post full of excuses for his behavior.  I'm just asking that we not go down that road again, they've already made their QB move and it does not included Watson.  

oh you saw it at the end when it was clearly at the very top of the post or did you read it backwards? 🤔 Never once did I post 1 single excuse for his behavior period. I posted known facts about the case that just seemed odd and very coincidental in the very least. Just like posting that there are 22 women accusing him of something is a known fact. Please point out anywhere in my post did I excuse any accused action of Watson? Here's a hint I didn't. Is there a high likely hood that SOMETHING happened with at least some of these women of course there is. But if accusing someone on an internet message board of excusing someone's behavior for simply pointing out known facts about a highly publicized case helps you sleep at night more power to you 👍

• Thumb down 1

I wonder if Wentz's agent would split up the guaranteed money over the next 2 years if we added $7MM to it.

That would be $35MM guaranteed over 2 years but opens up roughly $11MM in cap space this year.

We have to do something creative.