Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

17 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I just hope we keep running the ball to set it up. I am a bit paranoid that we did that because the QB was limited, and with a stronger arm back there we will be more inclined to pass more. 

Absolutely.  First half of the season Turner was very pass happy, and I’m betting we return to that (at least to an extent).  I don’t mind that in a vacuum, but it does give me pause that he thought that was the best way to operate with Taylor under center (and considering our defensive issues).  

Assuming we return to that, I think Wentz should be encouraged to use his outlets (backs in the flat, etc) a bit more often, and we need to figure out who’s going to take that role (with McKissick a FA).  

I know it’s a small thing, but I’m (weirdly) really happy we’re getting a 7th back too.  

Edited by skinny21
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

That’s a bit different than dreaming up a scenario where the defense demands Rivera play their leader and hero Heinicke lol, which is what that person posted about. Like they’re gonna reenact that Rudy scene and drop off their jerseys until they put in Heinicke lol 

Everyone upset about the trade comp should feel a lot better now! 

I feel even better.. Km Curl was a 7th rd pick

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Can we please please stop with the he’s not much of an upgrade over Heinicke? I like Taylor and rooted for him hard last year but let’s face it, he’s limited with arm strength. We needed a guy who can make all the throws. Wentz is the prototypical qb. He’s tall, strong arm and has some mobility. Sure he could be a bit of a prima donna, but qbs tend to be. I live in Philly and saw a lot of things saying he is a hard worker. Even this offseason, there were reports of him bringing in Colts wideouts to work with even knowing he might be released or traded. 

Wentz is a far better option than Trubisky (a never was), Jimmy G (older, more fragile, more expensive) and Winston (head case). He’s also a better option than bringing in a rookie for this year (look at Fields, Lance, Wilson, and even Lawrence). If he doesn’t work out, next year’s draft has better qb options plus we could still draft a qb this year to develop. 

Lastly, sure $28 mil is a lot but salaries for any starting qb is out of hand. Hell Jared Goff makes $35mil. Every year there’s always talk of teams being in cap hell but they seem to work it out. Eagles were one of them last year but they managed to sign a few free agents last year and reupped some of their younger players.  

Im on board!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not directed at you personally but fans always think their team overpaid.

It's okay, I never take anything personally on here, ever. Just ask @Spaceman Spiff, @Koolblue13, and many others who are in awe of my patience, humility, and general level-headedness at all times.

Yes, in general, we think we overpaid for players--especially QBs. However, my issue here is the picks AND the cap space. I would like to think we could have saved on one. Now, granted this is also without any real information on what other teams were offering. Seeing the Steelers going with Rudolph and Haskins makes me believe they were in on it too. I've moved to acceptance now--lets see what he does.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

Oh boy, an extra ham sammich

Still got the non bristle side of broom on this deal. Indy was in firesale mode w/ him.

How long will this narrative persist now that we have confirmation there were other suitors? The goal posts have already moved from “we could have waited and got him for free, or for a 6th or 7th at most if we didn’t bid against ourselves”. Where will the goalposts go next?

It’s fine to still dislike the player or the cost of the deal, but these narratives that we paid more than we had to have to die. It’s safe to bet that we paid about what we had to to beat out other teams, because that’s how trade negotiations work…and if that’s still too much for you, that’s a fine argument to make. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Conn said:

How long will this narrative persist now that we have confirmation there were other suitors? The goal posts have already moved from “we could have waited and got him for free, or for a 6th or 7th at most if we didn’t bid against ourselves”. Where will the goalposts go next?

It’s fine to still dislike the player or the cost of the deal, but these narratives that we paid more than we had to have to die. It’s safe to bet that we paid about what we had to to beat out other teams, because that’s how trade negotiations work…and if that’s still too much for you, that’s a fine argument to make.

Just to reiterate to hammer home this point: The Pittsburgh Steelers--one of the best-run organizations in the NFL--just stated they are going with Mason Rudolph and Dwayne Haskins, in a competition for the starting QB...OF THE PITTSBURGH STEELERS. Does anyone with an ounce of common sense really believe they weren't a major suitor? There is 0% he was going to get released. I am not wild about the draft capital and cap space we surrendered, but to think he could have been had for 6th-7th rounder or in free agency is willfully ignoring facts.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, FootballZombie said:

When the vast majority of sports journalists seem to not carry the exact same sentiment.

Like 80% of writers look at this move and have the same outlook.

Overpaying is overpaying, and we did that.

So you’re no longer arguing that there were not other suitors we were competing against? 

7 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

There is 0% he was going to get released. I am not wild about the draft capital and cap space we surrendered, but to think he could have been had for 6th-7th rounder or in free agency is willfully ignoring facts.

And if for whatever reason he was released, he'd be on the first flight to Pittsburgh, because why wouldn't he?

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Llevron said:

I just hope we keep running the ball to set it up. I am a bit paranoid that we did that because the QB was limited, and with a stronger arm back there we will be more inclined to pass more. 

I hope we pass more. Wentz is a playmaker with a big arm who can push the ball down the field. You are paying him $28M a year and hoping you can build a successful offense around him. So it needs to be a QB centric not RB centric offense - pass to set up the run. You build the offense around the pass and Wentzs big play ability. He has the arm to make throws we have not seen from a Washington QB in a long long time (he also holds the ball, takes sacks and can make stupid decisions but lets not get bogged down in detail ...)

The optimum down to pass the ball is first down. The most successful three play sequence in the NFL in terms of getting a first down is pass - run - run. (followed in second place by pass - pass -rush). 

We need to see if Wentz can be the guy. You find out by getting him a couple more weapons in the passing game and making him the centre piece of the offense.  Get aggresive see what happens.

Chances are the flaws that have been in Wentz game since his third or 4th year - holding the ball, trying to make hero throws rather than playing within the system etc etc - are still there. But if he can somehow get back to that MVP like form of his second year ...

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

I'm arguing we didn't have to pay what we paid.

based on zero information and armed with the knowledge that we were competing with other teams? We’re not talking about a Trubisky here, we’re talking about an actual talented (if flawed) QB that other teams wanted in an offseason where QB value has never been higher.

• Like 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

Same question works other way around

My position is based on context, logic, and reports from journalists that other teams were interested in Wentz. Yours is based on you just deciding that no one else was offering more then us and we just decided to give them too many picks. I have actual evidence, I have yet to see anything backing up what you are saying. Im completely open to changing my mind if you can show SOMETHING.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

When the vast majority of sports journalists seem to not carry the exact same sentiment.

Like 80% of writers look at this move and have the same outlook.

Overpaying is overpaying, and we did that.

I'm not sure why the opinion of sports journalists really matters considering how often they are wrong about things.  But I'm seeing sports journalists confirm that we weren't negotiating against ourselves.  Not that I needed a journalist to confirm what I already knew.  The whole idea that he could end up getting cut stemmed from the hit-job that Irsay and the gang put out there a little while back, which is par for the course when FO/owners that lack class are wanting to move on from a player.  We should be well versed in this given our own Kirk/Bruce drama we lived through some years back.  It was never realistic that a player of his caliber would simply be released, where the Colts take the cap hit, into a QB starved market.

• Like 2

@FootballZombie

Saying we paid too much for your comfort is fine. That’s a reasonable position if you don’t like Wentz that much. 

Saying we paid more than we had to to still get him is irrational given the information we have about other teams pursuing a trade as well, using logic and just knowledge of how trade negotiations work. Continuing to choose to believe that we bid against ourselves for some reason just so you can be as mad as you were last night is not logical. 

You have more brains than that (bringing back the zombie pun).

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Conn said:

based on zero information and armed with the knowledge that we were competing with other teams?

Just now, MisterPinstripe said:

My position is based on context, logic, and reports from journalists that other teams were interested in Wentz. Yours is based on you just deciding that no one else was offering more then us and we just decided to give them too many picks. I have actual evidence, I have yet to see anything backing up what you are saying. Im completely open to changing my mind if you can show SOMETHING.

My position is based on knowing exactly what our starting offer was and exactly what our final offer was.

My position is also further booned by numerous people who do this for a living that don't understand how Wentz yielded such a return. There are numerous postings out there alluding to such, but if you want an example, here you go.

https://overthecap.com/carson-wentz-traded-to-washington/

"From Washington’s standpoint this is a hard trade to wrap my head around if the reports of them taking on the contract as is are accurate. This is the second time in two years that Wentz has been traded and it seemed clear that the Colts were likely going to release him to avoid having to pay him his full salary. To give up picks and relieve the Colts of a $15 million obligation for a QB who is probably worth $10 million on the open market is crazy."

"This is basically a heist for the Colts who more or less admitted that they made a mistake by trading for Wentz last February."

Your position is currently based on what you think another team many have been offering. Your not arguing me w/ any kind of concrete evidense, just what you think is out there to support your narrative.

• Like 1