Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

23 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

I van see this thread falling off the front page at some point, so want to add here same thing I said in the Wentz trade thread:

This isn't over, we should still draft a QB in the first round this year as Wentz replacement. 

He can't stay healthy and he's a certified asshole, he won't last here long, three years tops.

Actually we have our QB. 

Ron isn’t drafting a qb this year; he’ll just resign Allen to be Wentz’s backup and Heinicke is 3rd string.

Wentz is on the roster in 23, meaning he likely took us to the playoffs and had no issues; Ron will have his long term QB and he won’t be drafting a qb in 23 either. 

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Actually we have our QB. 

Ron isn’t drafting a qb this year; he’ll just resign Allen to be Wentz’s backup and Heinicke is 3rd string.

Wentz is on the roster in 23, meaning he likely took us to the playoffs and had no issues; Ron will have his long term QB and he won’t be drafting a qb in 23 either. 

4 minutes ago, RWJ said:

🧐

You trying to play us, huh? 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Actually we have our QB. 

Actually RR is on the record as saying he wants 2 Vets and a Rookie as his QB depth chart.  We’re not resigning Allen.  I’d love for us to be able to get Howell or Ridder in the 2d 

• Like 2

I'm not sure why the name Wentz did not come up much before this move.  . We should have anticipated this, we all knew Indy was moving on  This was always more realistic than Carr, who I do not believe will be traded, or Watson, Rodgers etc. and those were the names we've been talking about.  Personally I saw a 2nd for Jimmy G but this was also an obvious possibility that we missed.   Ron knew guys like Tribusky, Winston etc suck and are never going to be the answer. So he got a QB who at least showed he can be good at one time, something those last 2 guys have never shown.  

3 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

Actually we have our QB. 

Read about 2 posts up from yours :) 

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

🧐

You trying to play us, huh? 

Beat me to it 

1 minute ago, OMacAttack said:

Wentz is probably stoked to get to play the Eagles and if he still is the QB, Hurts, twice this year. Hurts is part of the reason he was expendable right?

Hurtz is the reason he wanted out. Supposedly the Eagles wanted them both but he didn't like that. 

• Like 1

People have short memories.  It's almost as if the Kirk/Bruce war never happened here, as if it wasn't filled with anonymous leaks and then eventually sending folks out to muddy the waters for Kirk after they traded for Smith.  Teams regularly try to get out in front of bad press or plant anonymous seeds to make whatever move they are about to make seem necessary and paint the outgoing player as the bad guy.  It's the entire reason I was really skeptical of the 'Everyone hates Wentz' narrative that was being pushed a few weeks ago, it seemed to pop out of thin air and there wasn't even so much as a whisper from that entire locker room that it was remotely true. Since the announcement, the only thing I've seen is the Colts prominent players going out of their way to say nice things about him.

The Colts have to explain to their fanbase that not only do they not have a first round pick but they no longer have a QB, so of course they are going to do everything they can to make it appear both a. necessary to dump him and b. that they won the deal.  

I don't see how that's a stretch or nonsensical in any way whatsoever.  It's par for the course for some franchises/owners.  To tie it back to us, it's precisely the reason for the press and some fans clinging to the idea that we got fleeced, because history indicates we normally do and falls in line with how we've always done things.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Redwards said:

Exactly.

Wentz doesn't get you anywhere close to a serious SB run.  So what's the point?  A desperate reach for a playoff appearance without any real meat behind it, per our usual?  It's a bottom line business.  You are either a serious contender or you aren't.  AT BEST, Wentz gets you a token playoff appearance (though, he couldn't even do that with a better roster and coach-fit in Indy - not to mention all his off-field issues with every locker room he's been a part of).  Wow.    

Not having an elite QB on a rookie deal (Or Tom Brady playing for peanuts) is going to require a lot to go your way, but I’d put Wentz in category of a dude who could get hot for 3-4 playoff games and shock the world. Not at all saying it’s likely, just his approach, belief in self, and elite traits give him a small chance that others don’t. 

3 hours ago, skinny21 said:

In comparing this trade to the Alex Smith trade, I think the compensation is slightly more here (though that depends on how you viewed Fuller at the time).  But, he doesn’t have guaranteed money past this year (unlike Smith’s extension) and I believe Smith was significantly more of a hit on the cap percentage wise, IIRC.   

Smith was a great guy and fairly solid qb (at the time of the trade at least), but Wentz gives us the quick strike, deep ball excitement that could really transform our offense (and the way it’s perceived around the league).  Don’t get me wrong, I don’t love the trade, but I think it’s a solid move.  No guarantees it works out of course, but the potential is there.  

Smiths deal was structured for him to remain at or below 10% of the cap each season. A compromise for both sides. 

Wentz will be at 13% for this upcoming season and trend down if he plays out the remaining years of his deal. 

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

I HOPE we pass more. Wentz is a playmaker with a big arm who can push the ball down the field. You are paying him $28M a year and hoping you can build a successful offense around him. So it needs to be a QB centric not RB centric offense - pass to set up the run. You build the offense around the pass and Wentzs big play ability. He has the arm to make throws we have not seen from a Redskins QB in a long long time (he also holds the ball, takes sacks and can make stupid decisions but lets not get bogged down in detail ...)

The optimum down to pass the ball is first down. The most successful three play sequence in the NFL in terms of getting a first down is pass - run - run. (followed in second place by pass - pass -rush). 

We need to see if Wentz can be the guy. You find out by getting him a couple more weapons in the passing game and making him the centre piece of the offense.  Get aggresive see what happens.

Chances are the flaws that have been in Wentz game since his third or 4th year - holding the ball, trying to make hero throws rather than playing within the system etc etc - are still there. But if he can somehow get back to that MVP like form of his second year ...

I agree with this, the part of turning the offense over to him. It seems he’s lost his mojo a bit combined with playing with weak supporting cast from receiving standpoint and needs to be trusted again. This is obviously pure speculation and wishful thinking as a Commander supporter lol. 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Finlay just brought up Ertz.  I didn't really think about it before that.  But not a crazy idea. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/philadelphia-eagles/carson-wentz-zach-ertz-connection-continues-grow-and-field-eagles

As they were running off the field following Carson Wentz's 50-yard touchdown pass to Torrey Smith Thursday night against the Dolphins, Zach Ertz yelled something over to Wentz.

"He’s like, 'I love that, I love that!’" Wentz said with a laugh.

They know. They know that the more the Eagles can establish a deep game — something absent from the offense last year — the more the middle of the field will be open for Ertz.

Ertz and Wentz had a pretty good connection last year. Ertz ranked fourth among all NFL tight ends last season with 58 receiving yards per game, and his 5.6 catches per game led all tight ends.

But judging from the last month of practice and from the starting offense's brief preseason appearances, they look to be on another level this year.

“I think we’ve definitely taken a big step," Ertz said. "We’re seeing the game very similar. We’re both very high football IQ guys, so it’s easy to translate from the practice field or the meeting room to the game field.

"And just having the same quarterback for a second year, it’s huge for chemistry, especially when it’s someone as talented as him. I'm excited about it."

Ertz played with Nick Foles and Michael Vick as a rookie, Foles and Mark Sanchez in 2014, Sam Bradford in 2015 and Wentz last year.

This year, Wentz will become the Eagles' first quarterback to start consecutive openers since Vick in 2012 and 2013, and Ertz could be one of the greatest benefactors.

AWentz's comfort zone last year was Jordan Matthews and Ertz. With Matthews now in Buffalo, Ertz becomes Wentz's No. 1 target, and if the deep game blossoms the way it should, it's going to be difficult for defenses to account for both the Eagles' outside receivers and Ertz underneath.

We saw in the preseason game against the Dolphins on Thursday night just how effortlessly Wentz and Ertz are connecting on the field. Wentz found Ertz for completions of 12, 14 and 18 yards in just one quarter of action.

“It kind of speaks to the length of time and amount of hours we’ve put into this thing together," Ertz said.

"Not only talking but the reps that we’ve put on the field at each and every practice. When we get five minutes off, we’re over there on a separate field trying to perfect things. Hopefully, it shows up this year."

Ertz and Wentz are very close friends, and both believe that closeness off the field will lead to some big-time production on the field.

This is what a smart organization does to assist with building some trust and rapport, sign this dude immediately. Who cares if he’s not what he used to be, throw your new QB a bone. 

I love the potential with Wentz throwing to Logan Thomas. I lean towards Logan making an “easy” return from ACL surgery due to his game not relying on explosiveness or quick twitch. But go ahead and throw in Ertz at 4-5mil. 

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

A good point about the ego side of this.    Ron could co-exist with Cam well.  Cam with a big time ego.  Speaking of Hard Knox, that showcased that dynamic well.

If Ron could manage someone like Dan at least so far (fingers corssed), I think he can handle Wentz.

An eagles reporter liked this in part because they know Ron and like the fit with him.  And Indy reporter alluded to the same.

Love a coach putting his talents on display and being about it. There’s risk with type of move, but risk is required often times to rise above mediocrity. 

Ron has positioned himself in the organization to dedicate time to this relationship and pour whatever ingredients needed to support Wentz. Not that it seems Wentz needs babysitting (the opposite actually) just to know he’s trusted and empowered as the QB. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Conn said:

Those are offers for guys that went elsewhere,

Every trade is a dude leaving somewhere. That means nothing

Whether we get a guy or not, knowing bits and pieces of the process is common place that is widespread across the NFL. That's not some revelation and it does not make this situation any different.

7 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Actually RR is on the record as saying he wants 2 Vets and a Rookie as his QB depth chart.  We’re not resigning Allen.  I’d love for us to be able to get Howell or Ridder in the 2d 

More than likely late 1st if we trade down.  

12 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

I’m totally with this, get a rookie in. Hard to tell how under/over valued they are as opinion is all over the place, but get one in with Wentz and close the book at QB.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

People have short memories.

I don't see how that's a stretch or nonsensical in any way whatsoever.  It's par for the course for some franchises/owners.  

I think folks really just assume we are the only team that works that way. 

13 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

I know you all kept on saying Taylor the 3rd backup but I just shook my head and said Taylor starting over Allen last year said otherwise. 

Then there were some who said Ron doesn't even think of or mentions Taylor anymore. 

Ron has now spoken and has kicked Allen out. This should stop people from saying Ron doesn't even think about Taylor. 

@mistertim You can now stop saying Ron doesn't think highly of Taylor now... 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I think folks really just assume we are the only team that works that way. 

Right, our owner is merely unique in the fact that he's both an awful human being and has the reverse midas touch on everything he touches.  That doesn't mean that other owners can't also be awful human beings they just don't share the same knack for ruining absolutely everything they get involved with.

1 minute ago, Est.1974 said:

I’m totally with this, get a rookie in. Hard to tell how under/over valued they are as opinion is all over the place, but get one in with Wentz and close the book at QB.

I actually love the move to get Wentz.  He was nowhere on my radar and the fact we were able to swing a trade instantly makes us a much more competent team.
I just want the team to draft a guy that could realistically develop…not some 7th rounder from underwater state that’s merely gonna throw camp passes.  
Ive been a Sam Howell guy for a while now and he should slot nicely where we’d be selecting in the 2d.  Ironically, he’s a decent comp to wentz imo.  Ridder wouldn’t make me mad either in the 2d

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

Just now, Stone Cold said:

I actually love the move to get Wentz.  He was nowhere on my radar and the fact we were able to swing a trade instantly makes us a much more competent team.
I just want the team to draft a guy that could realistically develop…not some 7th rounder from underwater state that’s merely gonna throw camp passes.  
Ive been a Sam Howell guy for a while now and he should slot nicely where we’d be selecting in the 2d.  Ironically, he’s a decent comp to wentz imo.  Ridder wouldn’t make me mad either in the 2d

I was on Wentz after Carr, assuming we had no chance on the tier one guys. Get him another weapon and it’s 4,000 yards without blinking.

Howeel too, had him as my #1 a few months back, but I don’t see enough college football to say I’m that educated on it. More just I liked what I saw in the cut ups of his play. Ridder been a grower too.

Add one rookie, it helps with the salary cap too. Smart move.

• Like 1