Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

What do people make of Daron Payne pedestrian PFF grades of 67.3, 67.5, 68.2, 63.9, and 57.5?  Are they misevaluating him?  I don't have a good feel for these things, but in general, he is a solid, but not high end player according to them.   Allen by contrast they like (82.4 this year, 84.9 last year, and 80.3 in 2020.

8 minutes ago, philibusters said:

What do people make of Daron Payne pedestrian PFF grades of 67.3, 67.5, 68.2, 63.9, and 57.5?  Are they misevaluating him?  I don't have a good feel for these things, but in general, he is a solid, but not high end player according to them.   Allen by contrast they like (82.4 this year, 84.9 last year, and 80.3 in 2020.

No idea...I wondered about that, too. They grade him significantly lower than Allen.

According to that article, I suppose they could franchise Payne at $18 mil but they do have to exercise Sweat's 5th year at $11 mil.  We definitely have to consider QB $$ whoever that is.  Best case scenario is for Howell to be ready and not pay a boat load for a vet but I guess we'll see. 

Edited by HigSkin
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

According to that article, I suppose they could franchise Payne at $18 mil but they do have to exercise Sweat's 5th year at $10 mil.  We definitely have to consider QB $$ whoever that is.  Best case scenario is for Howell to be ready and not pay a boat load for a vet but I guess we'll see. 

Howell to be ready? Ready for what?

4 hours ago, philibusters said:

The PFF guy who is local likes Payne a lot and says that the low grades are in part to him playing a crazy number of snaps for a DT. What doesn't compute for me though is that Allen is high usage as well and his grades are high

5 hours ago, Ball Security said:

You’d see less of Obada and Toohill.  Ridgeway’s PT is dependent pin TOS.  He played twice as many snaps Sunday than he did on Monday.

I expect to see a lot of Ridgeway and the 5 man front against Atlanta and New York the next few weeks given how dependent those two teams are on the run game. I would add that it'll help if Holcomb is back because I'd rather have him running with Patterson vs Bostic (Holcomb isn't great at it but Bostic has lost his speed). I do think by the way that they should just spy Patterson with Curl whenever he is in

10 minutes ago, lavar1156 said:

I’m guessing he was trying to say, ready to play next season and see what we have in him.

Worst case scenario, he’s awful and lands us a top 5 pick in 2024 which we take to draft Caleb Williams. Best case, he shows he has what it takes, and gives us a reason to start him a couple more seasons and see what happens 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

I’m guessing he was trying to say, ready to play next season and see what we have in him.

Worst case scenario, he’s awful and lands us a top 5 pick in 2024 which we take to draft Caleb Williams. Best case, he shows he has what it takes, and gives us a reason to start him a couple more seasons and see what happens 

This is crazy to me. Ron Rivera is in win now mode. I don't see Howell playing unless due to injury. This year or next.

10 hours ago, lavar1156 said:

Yes, ready to play next year and it was in reference to having a QB on a rookie deal where the team could put the resources in other areas and keeping their own.

Edited by HigSkin

13 minutes ago, BleedBNG said:

Keep the Dline.

Just say no to paying the middling QB next off season. Go against the grain and build around the Dline. Come on Ron, you’ve secured generational wealth already, go all in on a radical idea. 

• Thanks 1

With they way things are going I don't see how you don't do whatever is in your power to bring the whole D-line back.

Allen is Allen. He is more than the stud we wanted him to be.

Sweat is a league leader in a wide range of subjects even if he appears to have minimal impact.

Payne is passing the eye test and getting a bunch of impact plays.

You don't HAVE to resign Sweat as he is under contract next year, but bringing back Payne is a must as long as they continue to look like this moving forward. There is no reason to risk finding greatness by spreading out the love to other parts of the roster when you already have functional known greatness in your hands. A unit that is showing itself capable of carrying your team.

It's a fascinating discussion/decision. Sweat really needs to get past the accusations of not getting home/not turning up against the good teams, whereas with Payne the concern is the classic "is this just a contract year" and he reverts to type when we re-sign him. The correct answer might turn out to be to re-sign both and let Young go, but we really need to find out what impact that injury has had on him.

13 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

It all runs through Payne. Allen is the Captain and Sweat is a very very good balanced End. They way they're distributing the pressure makes it so much harder to stop. Gotta keep them all together.

I am listenting to Sheehan in recent days and Grant Paulsen both often cynical about this team and boy have they gone overboard the other way -- talking about how good this team is and how they can not only make the playoffs but win a game in it -- Grant saying this is better than the teams he's seen in the playoffs during his lifetime -- and this defense is for real, etc. 

I don't know if i agree it runs through Payne.  But Payne's been VERY good.  I've been saying for a long time if you watch the D line on coaches tape which I do from time to time but not recently -- people would be surprised about Allen taking on double teams and playing some nose.  He's an eclectic player.  Allen I think is the best player on their defense.  But Payne and Sweat IMO is close behind him.   Overall the D line is finally playing to their hype and its fun to watch.

Although I am afraid with all the adulation they get it will jinx them. :ols:. Sheehan talking right now that we are 1 point favorites in Vegas for the upcoming game in NY and how Vegas now takes this team very seriously.  I'd rather they don't.  I like the underdog vibe better. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Haha 2