Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

All things defense

ThomasRoane

Damn shame we’re not facing Ryan who is a shell of himself from his great Falcons days. Although he has had some solid games against us. This new qb Sam Ehlinger is a 2021 6th rounder who beat out Nick Foles as their backup. He kind of reminds me of Howell but maybe not as good.

I watched the Colts highlights from yesterday and their defense just isn’t as solid as past years. Taylor doesn’t look the same and Pittman can be covered by St Juste. This is certainly a winnable game!

• Like 1

This fanbase definitely has ptsd.

Any other team facing a 6th round quarterback making his first start ever with a horrid offensive line going against an above average defensive line would be licking their chops, not us, nope we're talking about how there's no film on him and he's gonna rip us apart.

Crazy!!!

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Facing Sam Ehlinger this week, whoever the heck that is.

D needs to come out and feast.

We haven't pitched a shutout since '91. Blew our shot against the Bears. This will be another opportunity.

I see that you are not a college football fan.

He was a three year starter for the Texas Longhorns--a brand name college team that is always on TV.

Ehlinger is still a former 6th round pick and someone who has not played in the regular season. He may come out playing well but the chances of him having a great game is fairly low. 

Look at Zappe, guy was supposed to be the next Brady after a couple games but came crashing down last night and he was a 4th rounder. I’m not too worried about Ehlinger. 

Never underestimate your opponent. Ehlinger will be the next Joeseph Montanya with the speed of a Vicks vapor rub.

Or at least the team needs to approach it this way. Good teams lose because they think they can just walk in and destroy the competition. 

I expect a better performance from him than Matt Ryan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Ehlinger looks like he's going to be a pain in the ass.

Looks like he can make all the throws and is mobile enough to escape pressure.

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

Ehlinger is still a former 6th round pick and someone who has not played in the regular season. He may come out playing well but the chances of him having a great game is fairly low. 

Look at Zappe, guy was supposed to be the next Brady after a couple games but came crashing down last night and he was a 4th rounder. I’m not too worried about Ehlinger. 

This is the mentality I don't understand.  Zappe comes out, has some great games, all of a sudden he's the next Brady and then he's written off after one bad game.  

If the comp is Zappe for whatever reason, let's not forget that Zappe started off hot and therefore we have reason to think that Ehlinger can do it, too.  

Our defense has played better in recent weeks but I wouldn't call it elite, not by any stretch.  We can be had.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

If the comp is Zappe for whatever reason, let's not forget that Zappe started off hot and therefore we have reason to think that Ehlinger can do it, too.  

Zappe played well against Detroit and the Browns not necessarily juggernaut defenses. 

Yes our defense can be had but it is playing much better recently and I’m sure they are licking their chops against a second year 6th round qb. 

6 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Zappe played well against Detroit and the Browns not necessarily juggernaut defenses. 

Yes our defense can be had but it is playing much better recently and I’m sure they are licking their chops against a second year 6th round qb. 

That’s actually my concern.  The hubris, overconfidence, over exuberance, whatever you want to call it - guys abandoning rush lanes, ignoring keys, coming off their guy too soon hoping to make a play on the ball, or the DC trying to get too cute with trying to bait, blitz, or otherwise fluster the inexperienced qb…

I just want to see us rush 4, keep him in the pocket, and rely on 7 in coverage making life tough on him.  Basically our gameplan from last week.  And just like last week, we’d give up some yardage to the outside via runs and quick passes, but everything else should be made difficult.  Del Rio should (IMO) be preaching sound football.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

15 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I guess so.  I'm not sure, I looked at the tape and while it's easy to write Ehlinger off as a 6th round pick, he looks like he has enough...um, moxie like Heinicke does....to be a problem.

• Thumb up 1

Maybe the NFL should only have a first round draft in the future, possibly a second. All the other rounds need to be discarded because those guys suck and will never amount to anything. None of those types would ever have a great game against the MIGHTY COMMANDERS! 

If Ehlinger won’t have a good game because he’s only a 6th rounder, then maybe Heinicke won’t either. He was undrafted. If we go by the rounds QBs are picked, Ehlinger has the upper hand. 

Edited by Fan since a Fetus

16 hours ago, JSSkinz said:

Ehlinger looks like he's going to be a pain in the ass.

Holy crap the guy looks like a clone of Taylor Heinicke, right down to the uniform number.

Edited by Dan T.
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

That’s actually my concern.  The hubris, overconfidence, over exuberance, whatever you want to call it - guys abandoning rush lanes, ignoring keys, coming off their guy too soon hoping to make a play on the ball, or the DC trying to get too cute with trying to bait, blitz, or otherwise fluster the inexperienced qb…

I just want to see us rush 4, keep him in the pocket, and rely on 7 in coverage making life tough on him.  Basically our gameplan from last week.  And just like last week, we’d give up some yardage to the outside via runs and quick passes, but everything else should be made difficult.  Del Rio should (IMO) be preaching sound football.

I want to know if the defensive coaching staff has the patience and wherewithal to effectively study tape on Ehlinger, find his weaknesses and blind spots due to his inexperience, and design a game plan to exploit those weaknesses and blind spots.

18 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

I want to know if the defensive coaching staff has the patience and wherewithal to effectively study tape on Ehlinger, find his weaknesses and blind spots due to his inexperience, and design a game plan to exploit those weaknesses and blind spots.

If he does well against our defense and wins, I feel like the “we didn’t have film on him” will be the excuse. It seems like we have been here before.

Problem with these types of games is that Indy isn't going to give our defense that many chances to make big pays. 

They will run the ball and use a horizontal passing game. 

All 3 of their RBs can catch the ball and guys like Paris Campbell/Alec Pierce can make plays in the open field. 

Defense has to wrap up and contain the edges. 

45 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Holy crap the guy looks like a clone of Talyor Heinicke, right down to the uniform number.

The… dynamics(?) of this game are a trip.  

1. Irsay’s comments about Snyder

2. The Wentz trade drama, and both teams wanting (and seemingly getting) qb upgrades

3. The poor pass pro for both teams

4. Immobile, strong armed veteran starting qbs

5. Both vets get injured

6. Both backups are mobile, scrappy types

7. Both wear #4

• Like 2