Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Attendance

SkinsFan_07

52 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Why did it sound like the entire stadium was chanting "Defense, Defense, Defense !!!" whenever the other team's Defense was on the field ?

I wondered the same thing at first then realized just how many Saints fans showed up.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Jason Wright is pretty much in hiding. All the kudos he was getting for interviews and transparency are out the window. This is the beginning of the end for him. Snyder will blame him. How can a division winner have the lowest attendance in the NFL? That’s the daily question Dan is asking. The only answer he wants to hear is how the business side is screwing up. 

I agree. He’s way less active. 

If the name is met with huge backlash, he’s out on his ass

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, BRAVEONTHEWARPATH93 said:

If the name is met with huge backlash, he’s out on his ass

Problem is it’s taking too long.  They had no plan B and now it’s become a nagging drain on the fan base.  If we were winning on regular basis season to season maybe it wouldn’t be as big a deal.  They have mostly sucked for the last 30 years, but at least we had the glory years of the Washington Redskins to cling to.  People don’t feel that connection anymore.  I just cannot conceive of paying 50 dollars for a ticket to watch them lose again.  My heart just isn’t in it anymore.  If they take the games off TV I probably still wouldn’t go.  

It really is a giant **** sandwich.  I hate that I feel this way about going, but I will hate more feeling like I was suckered again when I shell out too much for an ass beating.

• Like 3

Again, its just weird to compare the secondary market between the mid-2010s and now.  Back in 2015, you would routinely see club seats on Stubhub for less than $50 the day before the game.  Then 2018 happened and Brian Lafemina decided the Skins were no longer going to sell to brokers, and prices on Stubhub went up, and attendance suffered......and Lafemina was subsequently sacked. That was the last season I went to a game at the stadium. I'm not sure what happened in 2019, and of course 2020 there were no fans, but again, there were less than 600 tickets available on Stubhub last night.....and yet there's tons of empty seats in the club and upper levels. The Skins obviously have a ton of unaccounted for seats, and they won't lower prices......so here we are.

In Niagara Falls right now, and there's Bills stuff everywhere. Every has a jersey or shirt on now.

Part me wants to believe its because they've been kicking ass the last two years, but I don't know.  They had the threat of moving to Toronto, never won a super bowl, yet they have this called Bills Mafia up here.

Their fan base has an identity no matter what happens with the team, ours doesn't. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

In Niagara Falls right now, and there's Bills stuff everywhere. Every has a jersey or shirt on now.

Part me wants to believe its because they've been kicking ass the last two years, but I don't know.  They had the threat of moving to Toronto, never won a super bowl, yet they have this called Bills Mafia up here.

Their fan base has an identity no matter what happens with the team, ours doesn't. 

They were never really beaten and abused by a terrible owner and a stadium in the middle of nowhere. Ralph Wilson for all his faults always had the love of the fans and the city.

Dan Snyder has destroyed this franchise.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, hail2skins said:

Again, its just weird to compare the secondary market between the mid-2010s and now.  Back in 2015, you would routinely see club seats on Stubhub for less than $50 the day before the game.  Then 2018 happened and Brian Lafemina decided the Skins were no longer going to sell to brokers, and prices on Stubhub went up, and attendance suffered......and Lafemina was subsequently sacked. That was the last season I went to a game at the stadium. I'm not sure what happened in 2019, and of course 2020 there were no fans, but again, there were less than 600 tickets available on Stubhub last night.....and yet there's tons of empty seats in the club and upper levels. The Skins obviously have a ton of unaccounted for seats, and they won't lower prices......so here we are.

The NFL restricts what teams can do with ticket sales, but if Wright had the freedom, his best option would be to almost give away upper-deck tickets at like $5 a pop and then make it up in concessions revenue. That's essentially what less-popular baseball teams have done for decades to drive up engagement.

Heck, as much I despise Dan Snyder a $5 ticket and free (or nominally charged) parking would interest me. I could afford to take my sons and let them be silly and maybe even become interested in the sport without it blowing my budget. Make it fun and friendly and get some people back to the stadium. It couldn't be any worse than it is now.

13 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

They were never really beaten and abused by a terrible owner and a stadium in the middle of nowhere. Ralph Wilson for all his faults always had the love of the fans and the city.

Dan Snyder has destroyed this franchise.

The area from Ohio to Western New York is essentially the birthplace of professional football. There are much deeper cultural roots for this stuff there than there are in our area. Plus, it's less transient and more blue collar there.

The Redskins managed to buck that and make DC football-crazy from the day they arrived in 1937, even through the losing years of the 1950s-60s. Dan Snyder had to work pretty long and hard to wreck that, but he managed it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, profusion said:

The NFL restricts what teams can do with ticket sales, but if Wright had the freedom, his best option would be to almost give away upper-deck tickets at like $5 a pop and then make it up in concessions revenue. That's essentially what less-popular baseball teams have done for decades to drive up engagement.

Heck, as much I despise Dan Snyder a $5 ticket and free (or nominally charged) parking would interest me. I could afford to take my sons and let them be silly and maybe even become interested in the sport without it blowing my budget. Make it fun and friendly and get some people back to the stadium. It couldn't be any worse than it is now.

I'm not exactly sure what restrictions there are. Again, up until 2018, you could regularly find tickers dirt cheap on the secondary market, but Lafemina came in and decided the team wasn't gonna sell to brokers anymore, but then secondary market prices rose, and attendance suffered, and Lafemina was fired. I think they went back to selling to brokers in 2019, of course no fans last year, but I think Jason Wright might be employing the 2018 strategy again. And this is the result.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I'm not exactly sure what restrictions there are. Again, up until 2018, you could regularly find tickers dirt cheap on the secondary market, but Lafemina came in and decided the team wasn't gonna sell to brokers anymore, but then secondary market prices rose, and attendance suffered, and Lafemina was fired. I think they went back to selling to brokers in 2019, of course no fans last year, but I think Jason Wright might be employing the 2018 strategy again. And this is the result.

I can't remember where I read about that, but it was probably here back when the whole Lafemina thing happened. Can't remember the details, though.

While they're still at FedEx, I'd just get rid of the secondary market garbage by eliminating season ticket packages at the 400 level and move those tickets to a cheap first-come-first served model with walk-up sales available. Move the existing season ticket holders in the nosebleeds to the 300 level or even down to the 200s if that's possible. The stadium's a dump, but use the excess capacity to try and gin up interest. The view is so much better in the 200s that I doubt this would erode demand for the remaining season ticket packages.

When they move to whatever comes next, there will undoubtedly be 10-20,000 fewer seats, so why not use this opportunity to get more people through the turnstiles?

JKC would have understood this, I think, but the problem with someone like Jason Wright is that his background is not in the entertainment business. There's a little bit of the circus or carnival in that business, when all is said and done. Cooke understood that.

21 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Why did it sound like the entire stadium was chanting "Defense, Defense, Defense !!!" whenever the other team's Defense was on the field ?

I heard that too. Washington hasn't had home field advantage in a very long time.

19 hours ago, RVAskins said:

I heard that too. Washington hasn't had home field advantage in a very long time.

I remember being at the 2005 game against the Cowboys when Cooley had 3 TDs and we routed them. FedEx was ROCKING. It was incredible. I imagine that's how RFK was like every home game during the glory era.

Even the 2012 division clinching finale against the same Cowboys, the atmosphere was electric.

As bad as FedEx is, if the team is good and has some star power and sizzle, people will come watch.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I remember being at the 2005 game against the Cowboys when Cooley had 3 TDs and we routed them. FedEx was ROCKING. It was incredible. I imagine that's how RFK was like every home game during the glory era.

Even the 2012 division clinching finale against the same Cowboys, the atmosphere was electric.

As bad as FedEx is, if the team is good and has some star power and sizzle, people will come watch.

At this point I think most believe that the team's tenure at FedEx is relatively short. The naming rights end by 2027 and you would hope we can get a new stadium built by then. 

In the meantime, I think the only way FedEx itself gets packed again is if the Skins either have a monster-like 12+ win season or deep (NFCCG appearance or better) playoff run to generate serious buzz for the following year. And even then, if you follow that up with a dud season, the crowds likely go down the drain.

It's going to be amazing if we spend 30 years in that place and will have never hosted a divisional round game. Even the majority of the few WC round games we have hosted, the visiting team has come in with a better record than us.

Was at the game Sunday and yeah - can confirm it was like being at a neutral site. I ran into Saints fans throughout my trip - from the train from Baltimore to the Metro and definitely at the gates. Most of them sat behind the visitor's bench but they were scattered throughout. 

And as others have mentioned, I seriously doubt things will change at wherever the new place will be. I think having it be Metro accessible might help (that mile long walk to and from the Morgan Boulevard station *sucked*) but the tickets will almost certainly still price many die hard fans out and if the play on the field and conduct off the field doesn't improve, it'll surely be a cozy place for the visiting team and their supporters. 

I hate this. This place was a pro football town before "pro football towns" existed (outside of Green Bay) - but this is what the Snyder family deserves, outside of the money they'll still rake in no matter what.

I went to Sofi earlier in the year which was great and today I went to the Raiders game. I upgraded to the Wynn on field nightclub seats. It was ridiculously fun. Best time I have had at a game since we played Detroit at FedEx in the playoffs. Amazing venue. Amazing atmosphere and service. Everything you expect in Vegas times 10. Unfortunately it’s 21 and over for the club and I am taking my son to the Redskins game.

For those not coming with kids it’s is so worth the upgrade. Buy the cheapest seats you can then pay $200 to get in club and on field end-zone access or $100 for the club by itself. I had lower level seats and didn’t even sit in them. Just talked smack to the loser eagles fans.  I sang die eagles die numerous times and got the raiders fans to join in. 

0295916B-756A-4BA5-964C-BA73866D7240.jpeg

7FFF6A58-4179-4673-A5F2-5206F659CBA7.jpeg

ECBD7CAE-51B3-4B99-84E9-34A99C10BB09.jpeg

8E1079A3-B01B-4A6A-AC8C-3FD83273C78C.jpeg

49D464F3-854F-4876-9667-D9F6CD6EEAC6.jpeg

797C820F-C062-4D72-8EF6-9B6007016A19.jpeg

Edited by SoCalSkins
  • Like 7

SoCal, that experience looks so badass. SoFi seems like a marvel but the seating bowl looks such like the upper deck seats appear to be really high up. Allegiant, from a size perspective, appears to be a model for which the WFT should aim for when thinking about the scale of a new place.

I was on a Vegas message board and someone posted pictures of the spread they had on the suite level at Allegiant.  It looked so high-end and have to imagine it makes what they likely offer in the suites at FedEx look like garbage. When I still would attend games at FedEx, they had this crappy buffet on the club level that they were attempting to charge $100 per head for. Ridiculous.

https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/the-raiders-bublé-a-tourney-and-richie-for-an-awesome-las-vegas-quickie.187805/page-5

• Like 1