Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

I think Fitz is going to play the best football of his career, because we won't see as much of Bad Fitz this time.

Most of his career he's been on bad teams, so there was more pressure on him to force and create things, in order to have a chance at winning. That high-risk play, of course, resulted in numerous mistakes, turnovers, etc.

But now he's on a team, with a stud defense, and an offensive cast that's more than respectable.

So there's a lot less pressure on him, to single-handedly win games.

So we'll see way more of Good Fitz.

And Good Fitz combined with this team's cast, is going to be a problem for a lot of teams.

That's my theory anyway.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I think Fitz is going to play the best football of his career, because we won't see as much of Bad Fitz this time.

Most of his career he's been on bad teams, so there was more pressure on him to force and create things, in order to have a chance at winning. That high-risk play, of course, resulted in numerous mistakes, turnovers, etc.

But now he's on a team, with a stud defense, and an offensive cast that's more than respectable.

And Good Fitz combined with this team's cast, is going to be a problem for a lot of teams.

That's my theory anyway.

As much as it's a nice thought, that would require ignoring the first 35 years of his NFL career. He is who he is.

5 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

As much as it's a nice thought, that would require ignoring the first 35 years of his NFL career. He is who he is.

Who he is of late is miles better than the 16 games we got from 4 players who combined for 32nd QBR in the league last year.

Everyone who gets annoyed with Fitz hype thinks people are saying he's gonna be Elway suddenly or something, when really its projecting out being, say the 16th QBR team rather than dead ****ing last, alongside 2-3 upgrades in the top 4 WR's.  It's gonna be fun, ready or not.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

You can't take things too seriously. He always posts baked, it's all explained in his name. 

You can also use "Tater" as a verb, or even "to tate".

And they make great substitutes for profanity on the site.

For example...

Instead of saying "You're ****tin me ?!"

you could say "Are you tatin me ?!"

Love me some tater, and some tatin.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 1

31 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Who he is of late is miles better than the 16 games we got from 4 players who combined for 32nd QBR in the league last year.

Everyone who gets annoyed with Fitz hype thinks people are saying he's gonna be Elway suddenly or something, when really its projecting out being, say the 16th QBR team rather than dead ****ing last, alongside 2-3 upgrades in the top 4 WR's.  It's gonna be fun, ready or not.

Oh I agree. We got nowhere to go but up and i love me some Fitzmagic. But it's important to remember exactly who he is.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, CurseReversed said:

This offense is going to be all about distribution.  Play within the system and let the playmakers make the plays.  Its great that fitz is going to air it out, but mckissic needs to eat underneath.   Who is going to get the ball out efficiently and quickly?  Might end up being more Heinicke's game then Fitzpatrick.   Have to wait and see.

A bit off topic, but anyone else with me in feeling Mckissic was a JAG last year? Some one talk me off this ledge. I was one of the bigger supporters when signing him, but left the season feeling like he was just solid. I value solid and fully expect him to contribute this year, though, much less than last year due to a more dynamic guy projecting to take touches (Samuel). 

55 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

Just want average to above at 5% of the cap. Personally, I’m going on record and feel the Turner offense is a great marriage and put his ceiling at a Rich Gannon like finish (winning the SB though). 

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

A bit off topic, but anyone else with me in feeling Mckissic was a JAG last year? Some one talk me off this ledge. I was one of the bigger supporters when signing him, but left the season feeling like he was just solid. I value solid and fully expect him to contribute this year, though, much less than last year due to a more dynamic guy projecting to take touches (Samuel). 

Just want average to above at 5% of the cap. Personally, I’m going on record and feel the Turner offense is a great marriage and put his ceiling at a Rich Gannon like finish (winning the SB though). 

JD can't pass block (not his fault) due to his size.  I wouldn't be surprised if he get cuts if we decide on a better pass blocker amongst our backs.  Barber is our best pass blocker by far.

3 minutes ago, wit33 said:

McKissic has good hands but isn't special IMO.  Decent-solid to me sounds about right.    McKissic with 4.6 speed.  Samuel has 4.3 speed and is potentially special.   I think he's going to have a big year and is easily better than McKissic. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

That's my theory anyway.

I am with you on that.  I am intrigued with Heinicke too but my concern about him is durability -- can he at his smallish frame withstand NFL punishment.  So I'd bet on Fitzpatrick over Heinicke.

As for Fitz, he's said he's playing his best ball now.  The stats back that up big time.   QBR wise ranked 5th last year, if I recalll ranked 8th in QBR in the last two years combined.  If I recall PFF has him at 15th in the last three years combined. 

I notice whether its the media and some fans, there is a divide between two groups primarily on Fitz.

A.  those that buy that narrative that Fitz has improved as he has aged and the stats which back up that theory isn't a mirage.  And also get a kick of his personality-leadership.

B. those that believe that Fitz hasn't improved one bit, he's the same guy he's been throughout his career, and the stats are either a mirage or factor capturing a disproportionate segment of Fitz's magic by fluke -- in other words he just happened to have a hot streak at that time and would have cooled. 

I am firmly in camp A.  I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it but I certainly lean strongly in that direction.  I've watched at least half of Fitz's career in Miami including catching some games in person.    So for me, my eyes saw play that matched his stats.  Clearly it matched the eyes of some of the Dolphin reporters who have talked about it, too.  That's why I pushed hard for Fitz before FA.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am with you on that.  I am intrigued with Heinicke too but my concern about him is durability -- can he at his smallish frame withstand NFL punishment. 

Let's also remember that one of his injuries that kept him out of football for a period of time, was 100% self-inflicted. And I doubt he'll ever make the 2nd mistake of kicking through a home's front door again :)

So, when you de-factor that injury from the complete equation, he has a much lower rate of injury during his career.

25 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

McKissic has good hands but isn't special IMO.  Decent-solid to me sounds about right.    McKissic with 4.6 speed.  Samuel has 4.3 speed and is potentially special.   I think he's going to have a big year and is easily better than McKissic. 

I value solid and a guy being a professional at what he specializes in. Not saying Mckissic doesn’t deserve a role, but open to getting younger and more dynamic with his spot next year (next off season). 

Edited by wit33
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

I value solid and a guy being a professional at what he specializes in. Not saying Mckissic doesn’t deserve a role, but open to getting younger and more dynamic with his spot next year (next off season). 

Agree.  I am not pushing for McKissic to leave.  He certainly has value.  Not every player is going to be super star.

6 hours ago, terpfan said:

I read somewhere that Chase and Montez were expected to be around sporadically during the voluntary sessions. Not sure exactly what that means but I guess we’ll see. I can’t imagine it’s anything to worry about with those guys, especially Chase. 

Edit: Here’s the tweet. 

These two aren't rookies anymore and have an understanding of what physical demands are going to do to their bodies over a longer than last time season.  I'd imagine their personal trainers don't want them to interrupt their programs right now.  Chase Young has a significant core muscle imbalance with relationship to upper body/lower body muscle ratios that resulted in missing games last year.  Fixing that imbalance takes consistency over many weeks.  The last thing you'd want would be to expose your athlete to an injury in the middle of the program.  Not to mention the setback you'd have to account for when you interrupt the program for a week.  it would set you back 2 weeks.  Makes no logical sense to have either of these guys at OTAs right now. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Let's also remember that one of his injuries that kept him out of football for a period of time, was 100% self-inflicted. And I doubt he'll ever make the 2nd mistake of kicking through a home's front door again :)

So, when you de-factor that injury from the complete equation, he has a much lower rate of injury during his career.

The reason why I mentioned his frame versus citing his injury history is because that's my concern.  To me he looks like a dude with the frame which makes him look breakable.  Just like Colt McCoy did.  Looking at him, it doesn't strike me wild that he's had some injuries in his short sample size.   Haskins got hurt his rookie year but that's a big dude, I had concerns about him as a player, but durabilty wasn't a concern. 

My point on Heinicke is there are some who question his ability.  They cite the small sample size and say buyer beware.  Logan Paulsen for example more or less said he saw Heinicke when he was with Atlanta for awhile and he was underwhelmed by what he saw.  It's not just him who wonders about Heinicke.  I personally I am optimistic on Heinicke's play.  I'll go crazy and ride that one playoff game and say that's who he likely is. 😀  But I am not a Heincike Hive type because I am not sold yet on his durability.

According to some beat guys there are concerns in the building too about Heincike's durability.  And the people there know him the best.  So I'd like to see him get through the preseason without injury.  I'd need to see more from him to be sold on his durability.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I am with you on that.  I am intrigued with Heinicke too but my concern about him is durability -- can he at his smallish frame withstand NFL punishment.  So I'd bet on Fitzpatrick over Heinicke.

As for Fitz, he's said he's playing his best ball now.  The stats back that up big time.   QBR wise ranked 5th last year, if I recalll ranked 8th in QBR in the last two years combined.  If I recall PFF has him at 15th in the last three years combined. 

I notice whether its the media and some fans, there is a divide between two groups primarily on Fitz.

A.  those that buy that narrative that Fitz has improved as he has aged and the stats which back up that theory isn't a mirage.  And also get a kick of his personality-leadership.

B. those that believe that Fitz hasn't improved one bit, he's the same guy he's been throughout his career, and the stats are either a mirage or factor capturing a disproportionate segment of Fitz's magic by fluke -- in other words he just happened to have a hot streak at that time and would have cooled. 

I am firmly in camp A.  I wouldn't bet my mortgage on it but I certainly lean strongly in that direction.  I've watched at least half of Fitz's career in Miami including catching some games in person.    So for me, my eyes saw play that matched his stats.  Clearly it matched the eyes of some of the Dolphin reporters who have talked about it, too.  That's why I pushed hard for Fitz before FA.

I think that I'm in camp A-. What I mean is that I think he's definitely improved over the last few seasons, and with the strong supporting cast we seem to have he can continue with that good form, but I don't think he can maintain it for 17 games. I fully expect bad Fitz to show up a for a few games during the season and for him to throw some heart-breaking interceptions at the worst possible moments because he's Fitz, and Fitz likes to take chances.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited that he's here (after being very sceptical to start with) but I envisage myself shouting at the screen and calling him a stupid **** in the gameday thread more than a few times during the season.

To be honest, I can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

You can also use "Tater" as a verb, or even "to tate".

And they make great substitutes for profanity on the site.

For example...

Instead of saying "You're ****tin me ?!"

you could say "Are you tatin me ?!"

Love me some tater, and some tatin.

Taters gonna tate

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I think that I'm in camp A-. What I mean is that I think he's definitely improved over the last few seasons, and with the strong supporting cast we seem to have he can continue with that good form, but I don't think he can maintain it for 17 games. I fully expect bad Fitz to show up a for a few games during the season and for him to throw some heart-breaking interceptions at the y worst possible moments because he's Fitz, and Fitz likes to take chances.

Don't get me wrong, I'm really excited that he's here (after being very sceptical to start with) but I envisage myself shouting at the screen and calling him a stupid **** in the gameday thread more than a few times during the season.

To be honest, I can't wait.

I don't expect this offense to open it up enough to let Fitztragic really appear...with the weapons we have I expect the game plans will be to use the running game and other stuff to keep Fitz more of a game manager than a guy that has to sling it to win. Think Mark Rypien and what he had to do in that offense. Fitz will have tons of options and a great defense where he won't have to do a whole lot all that often...and in the 4th qtr that's when he's Fitzmagic so we're all good. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

I don't expect this offense to open it up enough to let Fitztragic really appear...with the weapons we have I expect the game plans will be to use the running game and other stuff to keep Fitz more of a game manager than a guy that has to sling it to win. Think Mark Rypien and what he had to do in that offense. Fitz will have tons of options and a great defense where he won't have to do a whole lot all that often...and in the 4th qtr that's when he's Fitzmagic so we're all good. 

I really hope you're right, but I just don't see him as a game manager type of QB, I think it's in his nature to unleash his inner Rex Grossman every now and then. He's far better than what we had to start last year and I'm excited to see him play, but I still expect him to have some major WTF moments. 

• Like 2

I'm not all that worried about Fitztragic appearing because of Ron, he knows exactly who and what he signed, he's going to shade towards keeping Fitz from goin loopy. The best way to do that? Stellar D, field position, supporting cast, run game, etc. Fitz has never had a situation like this, I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

And seriously, who here is gonna be seriously ass chapped if we don't make the SB? Is that really the bar?

• Like 2