Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't recall Forrest being cut before this designation, and I thought someone like him had to clear waivers before goin to the injured list.

Or is it a loophole, based on the fact it's technically not the actual I.R. ?

Or did he clear waivers, and I missed it

I don't know if anybody answered, but Forrest made the 53.  He was on the 53 for approximately 14 hours.  Then they IRed him.  So he goes onto the IR as a member of the team, which means he can return from IR in 3 weeks (new rule).  

Then they re-signed Mayo to the active roster to take his now vacated roster spot.

IF they had IRed him prior to putting him on the final 53, he would not have been eligible to return this year.  That rule has been there forever, I believe, to prevent teams from just IRing guys and essentially red-shirting them.  The risk you run with doing it this way is the player you want to sign back (in this case Mayo) goes into the waiver process, and could be snapped up.  Or, if they are vested and are immediately free, then they could sign elsewhere before you manage to get your guy to the IR.  

Regardless, "Gotcha" Forrest can return in 3 weeks, and Mayo is on the roster.  As of now.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't recall Forrest being cut before this designation, and I thought someone like him had to clear waivers before goin to the injured list.

Or is it a loophole, based on the fact it's technically not the actual I.R. ?

Or did he clear waivers, and I missed it

So the reason for this is if they put Forrest on IR before cut day he can't play this year.  They had to keep him for one day, and then now he only has to be on for a few weeks and can be recalled.  They had to keep him in order to have the opportunity for him to play this year.  Also, all the big name free agents left, wouldn't get signed yesterday because if you are on the roster day one as a vested veteran, your salary is guaranteed.  Even if they cut you.  If you are not, say you sign today, day two, it is like like normal you get cut you don't get paid anymore.  That is why Cam Newton and some of the other guys don't get claimed, because you would be stuck with his salary all year.  So if you bring them in and they aren't good, then you stuck paying upwards of a million dollars or more for someone you want to cut.  It is the salary cap, NFLPA negotiated rules.

• Like 1

I've been hearing chatter about who's going to be active, who's not going to be active, on gameday.

Assumption: I think I heard the 2020 rules were re-upped for this year.  I haven't found confirmation on that one way or the other, but I think that's the case.  So, I'm assuming the rules are the same.

The rules are: (From an ESPN article you can read HERE

1. Game-day active rosters, which used to be limited to 46 players per team, can include up to 48 players, provided that at least eight of those 48 are offensive linemen. (If not, the game-day roster size is limited to 47 players.)

2. A team can carry up to 55 players on its roster during the week -- up from 53 in past years -- by elevating one or two players from its practice squad before 4 p.m. ET on the day before that team's game. This will allow teams a larger pool from which to select their 47 or 48 game-day active players. Any player elevated from the practice squad for this purpose will immediately revert to his team's practice squad on the day after the game.

No player may be activated under this rule for more than two games per season, either regular-season or postseason games. If a player has already been elevated twice under this rule, and the team wants to add him to the roster, it must terminate his practice-squad contract and sign him to an NFL contract, as has been the case with practice-squad players in years past.

So, I've got to think they are going to activate 8 OL.  They're carrying 9 right now.  So one of them is going to be inactive.  You're going to most likely have Schweitzer and Flowers up (one starting, one backup swing guard), and Lucas as the backup swing tackle.  So that means either Larsen or Charles would be inactive.  My guess is that it's Charles so you have a designated center in case CD goes down. Instead of having to move multiple pieces around.  But that's just a guess.  

Allen will be the Inactive 3rd QB.

One of the TEs will be inactive.  This will be interesting to see if they activate Reyes and play him, or give him more time to practice, and activate RSJ.  Bates will be active.  I'm going to guess Reyes is initially inactive.  And if he starts to be activated and play, then I think they're going to release RSJ.  

All RBs will be active (Gibson, McKissic, Patterson)

WR: I think they're going to be in a numbers game and have to inactivate one WR.  Most likely that's Milne.  Terry, Samuel, Brown and Humphries are basically your starting "4" with Cam Sims as the fill-in.  And I think Cam helps out on ST as well.  So I think for now, Milne is going to be inactive. ** I'm not including Carter as a WR.  See below, I'm including him as designated ST as a returner.   

All DT's will be active. (Allen, Payne, Settle, Ioannidis)

DE: I think they're going to have to inactivate one DE.  My guess is that's Toohill.  That gives you 2 backups and 2 starters, and in a pinch (due to injury), you could slide Jon Allen to DE and play 2 other DTs.  

All LB's will be active (Davis, Bostic, Hudson, Holcomb, Mayo). I'm tempted to put Mayo in the ST category.  But for now, I'm going to assume he might play a snap or two at LB. 

All CBs will be active. ** I'm not including Apke as a CB.  I'm including him, as a designated ST player below. 

All Safeties will be active. 

There are 5 designated ST players on this team: Dusty, Tress, Cheesy, Apke and Carter.  I'd bet $10 that Apke doesn't see a single defensive snap this season, unless they lose 3 CBs in the same game.  But plays on every eligible ST snap.  Carter won't see any reps at WR unless there is a rash of injuries.  I'm temped to but Deshazor here also.  But I think there's a chance he plays a little bit at Safety.  

So here's my guess:

OL: Charles (or possibly Larson)

QB: Allen

TE: Reyes

WR: Milne

DE: Toohill

Those are my guess of the 5 inactives, I kept 8 OL, so I can have 48 active players, and Bob is most certainly your uncle.  

This changes with injuries, obviously.  If Samuels cant' go, then he takes Milne's spot.  If McTyer is not cleared, my guess is they would bump up either Reyes or Toohill.  You don't need 9 active OL on gameday.  

Also note: They used the "bring up from the practice squad and activate him for a game" a few times last year, so I wouldn't be shocked if that happened. But I don't see it for week 1. 

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, NeverSurrender said:

Bruuhhh.  Tress Way is our secret weapon. 

But is this weapon really a secret, anymore ? 

I mean... Tress Way is EXACTLY like John Riggins.

You know what play he's going to run.

You know that Tress is going to get the ball.

But you still can't stop him. Or stop his pooch punt from landing on the one inch line.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Yet perhaps nothing underscores the progress he’s made more than the roster, which now includes just 15 players he inherited from the previous regime.

In all, Rivera has completely cleaned out four position groups — quarterback, running back, tight end and linebacker — and elsewhere retained only starters or pivotal backups.

Swole not getting the respect he deserves

anger-annoyed.gif

2 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm really starting to get the feeling this entire season is going to be Samuel constantly being in and out of the line-up with the groin problem.

Jordan Reed PTSD

It hasn't been an ideal start... but the fact that he's been in the offense before, mitigates some of those lost repetitions. And instead of focusing on the fact that he may be rusty and out-of-sync..... he'll also be pretty fresh since he hasn't been knocking heads all camp. And the athletic guys (the open-field nightmares) just need the ball in their hands..... you can get those guys involved in a game-plan pretty quick/easily.

The real bullets haven't started flying yet.... but we'll get an answer very soon.

10 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Jordan Reed PTSD

It hasn't been an ideal start... but the fact that he's been in the offense before, mitigates some of those lost repetitions. And instead of focusing on the fact that he may be rusty and out-of-sync..... he'll also be pretty fresh since he hasn't been knocking heads all camp. And the athletic guys (the open-field nightmares) just need the ball in their hands..... you can get those guys involved in a game-plan pretty quick/easily.

The real bullets haven't started flying yet.... but we'll get an answer very soon.

While he knows the offense, having Fitz behind center is a drastically different world than when Cam was behind center. I guess Teddy B was closer to that statuesque figure in the pocket but not sure the transition will be as seamless as others.

20 minutes ago, PartyPosse said:

While he knows the offense, having Fitz behind center is a drastically different world than when Cam was behind center. I guess Teddy B was closer to that statuesque figure in the pocket but not sure the transition will be as seamless as others.

Hmmm.... I don't think we saw enough evidence of our offense in preseason to suggest it's been seamless for any of them. Unless we're talking about tweets from practices.

Even if Samuel isn't sprinting right out of the gate to start the season..... I think the offense has enough weapons to get through the early part of the season - barring injury - without concern. But I'll be A LOT more excited when he's at full speed.

So much potential on both sides of the ball. It's nice to think one side doesn't always  have to carry the team.

Sprinkle couldn't make the Dallas roster, and stuck on their PS, after their offseason reports that "Dallas has bolstered their Tight End position with the key addition of Jeremy Sprinkle"

On our P.S., it entirely consists of players that we just cut.

That speaks to an excellent job of recruiting in the first place, as well as our depth, that so many players we cut, that we'd like to have back somehow.

Although it would be nice have some more depth at LB.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

3 hours ago, PartyPosse said:

I'm really starting to get the feeling this entire season is going to be Samuel constantly being in and out of the line-up with the groin problem. It's going to be maddeningly frustrating and it makes me wonder if that's a reason behind Milne and Carter making the team.

If Samuels isn't getting touches that seriously increases the value of AG in fantasy leagues.  Who I believe will have a monster (almost McCaffery-esque) year.  Even if he comes back I can't imagine RR approving of subjecting Samuel to hits as a runner.  Could also mean more PT for Dyami Brown in that Jet-sweep scheme.  With his size and speed I'd be very interested in getting him more touches.  

One problem with Ron's plan.  Taking his time to find that long term QB and just slowly bide his time until the team built and he's willing to give up assets for the QB; only works if he's winning.  A non-playoff season, especially one with a losing season in 21; will put pressure on Ron to find that Qb in 22.  Another non-playoff season, especially a losing one and he's probably fired. 

• Haha 1
  • Thumb down 2

16 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

I'm pretty sure I've read this on this forum early September for the last 10 years or close to it.

Tyler Larsen is often active on gameday and probably will tis year.

Putting Curtis Samuel's case aside as he'll play this year, even if not week 1/2 due to injury, our Inactive will be close to this:

Sammis Reyes (TE)

Torry McTyer/Darryl Roberts (CB)

Shaka Toney (DE)

Kyle Allen (QB)

Jarrett Patterson / DeAndre Carter (RB/WR) whoever is the worst returner.

Dax Milne (WR)

David Sharpe (OT)

David Brada (DL) - He's still part of our roster due to the international program. Thought they were going to stash him on PS, but according to our site he's part of the team.

Those are the actual prime candidates for the inactive list on any given sunday.

Larsen will not be active except due to injury.  If Larsen is active then the only other guy we could leave inactive would be Charles.  That means we'd be going into a game with only three tackles but five guard/centers.  So expect the depth chart to be something like this

Leno/Lucas/Charles

Flowers/Schweitzer/Charles/Larsen

Roullier/Schweitzer/Larsen

Scherff/Schweitzer/Charles/Larsen

Cosmi/Lucas/Charles

With Larsen at the bottom ranking of three positions he's worth keeping, but not keeping active on gameday because then Charles becomes the last guy in at FOUR positions

Meanwhile Carter's only value is as a kick returner.  If you do not play him at that every week there is no point in having him on the roster

2 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

One problem with Ron's plan.  Taking his time to find that long term QB and just slowly bide his time until the team built and he's willing to give up assets for the QB; only works if he's winning.  A non-playoff season, especially one with a losing season in 21; will put pressure on Ron to find that Qb in 22.  Another non-playoff season, especially a losing one and he's probably fired. 

sarcasitc wonka.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

5 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

Did Samuel tear his groin straight off the bone, and start rehabbing with icy hot and some Robitussin?

I don't think I've heard of a groin injury, without surgery, that led to 6 months of inactivity. The injury is obviously worse than Ronald has let on.

This made me think of Dennis Miller on MNF when he said “I’m my experience, there’s no such thing as minor groin surgery.”

Granted, you said with no surgery.  But it popped into my head anyway. 

B08F32E5-512B-470B-AB80-A54A028977C6.jpeg.69283cb5d515f7a2a091a9cc9f8d1313.jpeg

• Haha 3

23 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

Exactly, also if they wait to make a move, let’s hope the year they make a move isn’t during a weak QB draft. 

48 minutes ago, Rdskns2000 said:

256B1BFB-024A-48E3-89E7-2DED7C8A0268.gif

• Haha 6

17 minutes ago, redskinss said:

What is the purpose of making teams deactivate 5 players on game days?

It was supposed to be to prevent teams from having a competitive advantage.  It's a tax for being healthy or putting together a good team.  Or so they say.  Personally, I believe it's a way for the NFL to get out of paying players more of a pension.  If they don't dress for a game it doesn't count as a game played.  Or something like that.  

If the NFL really cared about the safety of players they'd let teams dress 53.  That would mean fewer starters having to play special teams.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

I don't think we'd use a valuable gameday active spot on a guy who very likely would not play, like Larsen

So, in your case, with an injury to Roullier, usually I think what happens is one of the Guards is considered "Center-Capable" and fills in the rest of the game.

Then, if Roullier's injury keeps him out longer, I think that's when they make Larsen "active"

J.M.O.

20 hours ago, Wildbunny said:

Tyler Larsen is often active on gameday and probably will tis year.

3 hours ago, carex said:

Larsen will not be active except due to injury. 

Larsen is a Special Teams guy. That's probably why he was often active on gameday with the Panthers, even though he was a backup Center.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm gonna stick with my original expectation that Larsen will be Inactive if Roullier is fully healthy.

For the reasons I mentioned originally.

With so many players required to be Inactive for gameday, there's just a bare minimum of backup players, making every active spot just too valuable to use on someone who probably has a 10% chance or less, of being needed gameday. And throw in the likelihood that there's usually a Guard capable of finishing a game, it the Center is injured.

I guess it depends on if Kaczor wants to use him on Special Teams here.

And also,  he does have the ability to play Guard, so I guess I can see that possibility.

depending whichever Guard/Center 'dual backup' they decide to go with on gameday, whether it's Larsen or one of the other backup Guards.

I'm gonna go with one of the "others". ;)

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

1 hour ago, Rdskns2000 said:

I am firmly in the position that winning qbs are the ones who are good but go to great teams and are not expected to do everything.  Case in point, I think Darnold would be a good QB now if not for NYJ. I want us to draft a good guy but not expect him to do it all. Hopefully that's what Ron is doing

• Like 1

Funny how a sleepy, rarely-correlating-with-regular-season-success preseason can completely change the temperature of the room.

Breathe.  Week 1 approaches, no one of note on IR.  Let's ****ing scheme a little bit before we throw in the towel for the ****ing 2022 draft with a new head coach?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Funny how a sleepy, rarely-correlating-with-regular-season-success preseason can completely change the temperature of the room.

Breathe.  Week 1 approaches, no one of note on IR.  Let's ****ing scheme a little bit before we throw in the towel for the ****ing 2022 draft with a new head coach?

2022 draft ?

I'm literally hearing talk about the 2023 draft