Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

14 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

So this year’s man crush is Paterson and Milne. I think Paterson can be serviceable and playing rb is an easier transition but he still was an undrafted free agent and played at a small school. 

To me Milne is not a prototypical slot receiver. He is better suited on the outside which is why I think we keep Cam and AGG to backup Terry and Dyami. Samuels can play the slot but if we cut Carter only Humphries is our backup which is why I think he makes it over Milne. 

Remember if another team signs a guy off our PS they need to put him on their 53. I’m just a little leery about trusting a rookie with handling all punt return duties. At least Carter has been in the league a few years. 

Imagine how good this rookie class has a chance to be in a few years? If Patterson and Milne are gonna make the team in addition to the higher draft picks it has a chance to be a special group...fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, RVAskins said:

Oh please. Dallas has made the playoffs 10 times since winning Super Bowl XXX -- 1996, 1998, 1999, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2014, 2016 and 2018 -- but has not advanced past the divisional round. Yet the media always has them as the team to beat.

Yep...and their QB is already dealing with an injury other than his season ending injury from a year ago...Dallas has a chance to be even worse this year if Dak can't stay healthy.

How much did they just pay him?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I have a feeling they are going to put (hide) Reyes on IR so they don't lose him on the practice squad. Ricky Seals Jones will be the 3rd TE.

I was under the assumption that the players on the international pathway program couldn't be on the practice squad and either had to be on a 53 man roster, or released. I could be wrong I'm just echoing what I remember reading on here somewhere. 

26 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I have a feeling they are going to put (hide) Reyes on IR so they don't lose him on the practice squad. Ricky Seals Jones will be the 3rd TE.

Are the rules still in place where if you go on IR, you can’t practice?  Wouldn’t be great for his development.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

I can understand the Giants not playing Jones. They're probably (correctly) worried about him getting murdered behind that OL. Maybe they figure if they keep him bubble wrapped until the start of the season they'll at least get a few meaningful games out of him before a season ending injury.

The chargers have oline injury concerns too. Our D is gonna show out to start the season. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I was under the assumption that the players on the international pathway program couldn't be on the practice squad and either had to be on a 53 man roster, or released. I could be wrong I'm just echoing what I remember reading on here somewhere. 

David Bada was a part of the international pathway program and he was on the practice squad last year. Not to mention that Reyes isn't part of the international pathway program anymore. But my understanding is that if an IPP player does not make the 53-man roster following training camp, the assigned team will receive a practice squad exemption to keep them throughout the season.

Edited by Jericho

5 hours ago, A-Lost-Wolf said:

First off, aside from loving football and my Redskins I am not very knowledgeable about the X’s and O’s Like many of you here.

with that said I just don’t get why we need Barber as our 3rd or 4th RB , I looked up the game logs for when Gibson was hurt last year and didn’t play 12/13 and 12/20 games and his numbers were pretty pedestrian in my uneducated eyes. I don’t think he offers anything that Patterson couldnt at least match or do better 🤷‍♂️

Obviously if he was out an extended period we would sign another RB. I would think Barber would be available at anytime to be resigned, I don’t see another team signing him unless they also had a major injury at RB .

I think we could use that roster spot for another WR or LB that would have a higher impact on our team. Give that spot to a younger player that may have a much higher ceiling for us in the future.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. Barber contributes little as a runner or receiver. He's a decent pass catcher, but what good is that if you suck elsewhere? He is a decent special teams guy, but I have to imagine he's replaceable there. And his short yardage "prowess" is greatly exaggerated. He's okay there. The basic point though is he is replaceable. It's hard to imagine anyone else signing Barber, but even if someone did there are other RBs out there that can run for two yards and a cloud of dust. Adrian Peterson is still there. Todd Gurley. Le'Veon Bell. Hell, why not TJ Yeldon?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I don’t think that’s right. In fact, IPP players can not only be assigned to the practice squad, but if they pass through waivers and are assigned to the PS as an IPP exemption, they cannot be signed by other teams (or activated by their own team), that season. 

That said, that’s all irrelevant in this case because Reyes was signed to the roster outright, not assigned as part of the IPP, so he is not considered an IPP player for roster purposes. We weren’t eligible to be awarded him through the IPP anyway, because we we acquired David Bada through the program in 2020 and are currently using that roster exemption on him. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, RWJ said:

This is all you need to know about Milne

https://twitter.com/WashingtonNFL/status/1429938249380753420?s=20

The huge plus about Milne is, since he's apparently only 12 years old, based on our best guess, that means he has a LOT of future growing to do ; height, weight, speed, strength, development-wise, etc

So the excellence that we're already seeing, is just scratching the surface

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Haha 10

Milne may look stiff but a 6.85 3-cone is no joke, watch out as he gets more comfortable.

I actually think AGG is “safer” on the PS if you had to choose. He was already a small school prospect with a lot of growing to do—and so far, he hasn’t done that growing, obviously, or he wouldn’t be on the bubble. Not that teams will automatically trust our in-house thoughts on AGG over their own pre-draft grade, but he’s damaged goods at that point to a degree. You’re talking about teaching him a new offense, keeping him on the roster while he learns and gets into your system—all the while, still needing to build up the technical physical skills that he didn’t really flash here. 

Milne on the other hand, it’s understandable for a 7th rounder to be victim to a roster squeeze. AGG getting waived on the way to the PS as a former 4th rounder says something about him—Milne getting waived as we try to sneak him onto the PS, that’s normal. He’s got an extra year on his contract, he’s more of a blank slate, and most importantly he’s already flashed. 

I’d like to keep both, but if I had to choose, I’d rather see the Milne experiment through on the very off chance he’s some kind of instant NFL fit or some sort of Adam Theilen-esque  prodigy. He’s already ahead of where AGG is, a year earlier, and I’m not convinced AGG’s height and theoretical contested catch ability are necessarily worth more than the things Milne is already doing at an impressive level. Again, I’d like to keep both—this is if I had to choose and rationalize my choice. 

Edited by ConnSKINS26
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, terpfan said:

I don’t think that’s right. In fact, IPP players can not only be assigned to the practice squad, but if they pass through waivers and are assigned to the PS as an IPP exemption, they cannot be signed by other teams (or activated by their own team), that season. 

That said, that’s all irrelevant in this case because Reyes was signed to the roster outright, not assigned as part of the IPP, so he is not considered an IPP player for roster purposes. We weren’t eligible to be awarded him through the IPP anyway, because we we acquired David Bada through the program in 2020 and are currently using that roster exemption on him. 

Cool to know, I must have read something that was incorrect or maybe misunderstood what I was reading, who knows lol.  

3 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

So this year’s man crush is Paterson and Milne. I think Paterson can be serviceable and playing rb is an easier transition but he still was an undrafted free agent and played at a small school. 

To me Milne is not a prototypical slot receiver. He is better suited on the outside which is why I think we keep Cam and AGG to backup Terry and Dyami. Samuels can play the slot but if we cut Carter only Humphries is our backup which is why I think he makes it over Milne. 

Remember if another team signs a guy off our PS they need to put him on their 53. I’m just a little leery about trusting a rookie with handling all punt return duties. At least Carter has been in the league a few years. 

You're forgetting why Scary Terry is Scary.  Assuming he's healthy, whose the backup at every WR alignment?  Terry.

He is the most diverse WR on the roster in terms of alignment.  Samuels can be a mock RB for awhile.  But Samuels isn't in the same category as Terry for WR diversity.

I’m legit worried about Samuel. Not at all about his current injury. But guys that miss the whole or most of the offseason for whatever reason (holdout, injury like this, etc) tend to be injured throughout the season once they come back because they’re just not in football shape. I have no concerns about him and the playbook but to really take the next step forward this offense needs him on the field so I hope he can give us 14+ healthy games this year and not be dealing with nagging injuries all year. 

7 hours ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Milne may look stiff but a 6.85 3-cone is no joke, watch out as he gets more comfortable.

I actually think AGG is “safer” on the PS if you had to choose. He was already a small school prospect with a lot of growing to do—and so far, he hasn’t done that growing, obviously, or he wouldn’t be on the bubble. Not that teams will automatically trust our in-house thoughts on AGG over their own pre-draft grade, but he’s damaged goods at that point to a degree. You’re talking about teaching him a new offense, keeping him on the roster while he learns and gets into your system—all the while, still needing to build up the technical physical skills that he didn’t really flash here. 

Milne on the other hand, it’s understandable for a 7th rounder to be victim to a roster squeeze. AGG getting waived on the way to the PS as a former 4th rounder says something about him—Milne getting waived as we try to sneak him onto the PS, that’s normal. He’s got an extra year on his contract, he’s more of a blank slate, and most importantly he’s already flashed. 

I’d like to keep both, but if I had to choose, I’d rather see the Milne experiment through on the very off chance he’s some kind of instant NFL fit or some sort of Adam Theilen-esque  prodigy. He’s already ahead of where AGG is, a year earlier, and I’m not convinced AGG’s height and theoretical contested catch ability are necessarily worth more than the things Milne is already doing at an impressive level. Again, I’d like to keep both—this is if I had to choose and rationalize my choice. 

Agree about watch out when he gets more comfortable.  Milne has some shiftiness.  But watching him and Humphries like I did in practice.  Milne looked a beat slower in and out of his breaks.  But that could be just him not being as decisive as he was learning the playbook and also that was weeks ago.  

I think the fact that AGG is on the roster bubble in his 2nd season after having a rough first season isn't the best sign.  But he did show some flashes in the last preseason game so maybe that propels him?   I wonder about Rivera not propping him up when asked who has impressed in the preseason where he mentioned Milne in the mix of players but no AGG.  I am guessing the game coming up is big for AGG and Milne probably, too.  Dyami Brown was taken only a round ahead of AGG and the idea of him not making this roster would be laughable and that's in season 1.   It's certainly not laughable for AGG not making it. 

More beat guys right now seem to think AGG beats Milne for the last spot if they go with just 6 which seems like a possibility.    But they are all over the place.  Finlay a few days back was saying AGG has not shown much.  After yesterday, perhaps the combination of Milne having a big practice and Rivera touting him seems to have reporters talking up Milne's chances more.

Not that the reporters have any definitive answer but I presume they are talking to the coaches, some of them imply such, and have watched a ton of practices at this point. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Cut down to 80 today by 4pm (5 minimum released). Any surprise cuts to be made today? "Doing them a solid by releasing them early"?

Next week will be the busy week with rosters down to 53 by Tuesday 31st.

Edited by Chris 44

16 hours ago, mistertim said:

Sims isn't really bigger than AGG; they're pretty much the same size.

AGG is 6'4 223, Sims is 6'5 220. So Sims is an inch taller but AGG has a few pounds on him.

I wonder about this weight. Like I figure that both were taken at the combine or around that time, but what's their playing weight? AGG generally looks a lot smaller than that. Sims not so much. Does Sims play bigger (at a bigger weight) or AGG smaller? And does AGG have any shifyness to him? That's one of the benefits of Sims. Not to mention the real production we've seen from Sims and the "potential" of AGG. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

I wonder about this weight. Like I figure that both were taken at the combine or around that time, but what's their playing weight? AGG generally looks a lot smaller than that. Sims not so much. Does Sims play bigger (at a bigger weight) or AGG smaller? And does AGG have any shifyness to him? That's one of the benefits of Sims. Not to mention the real production we've seen from Sims and the "potential" of AGG. 

Cam Sims came in at 214 at the combine and AGG 223. Not sure what WFT is using, since they list Sims at 220 on their site.

Either way, I doubt either number is hugely off so they're really pretty close to the same size it seems.

• Like 1

A few things...

Milne on the bubble seems logical. I would argue a 3-cone time of 6.85 isn't top end for a slot receiver these days. 

There will be a fight for those few extra spots, as always, and it is usually the 7th WR, 10th DB, etc. I don't know that Milne edges out another player like Apke, for instance. 

AGG gets another year in my book before taking Cam Sims role next year. He looks thicker than Cam speaking of weight. His size is probably his ticket more than anything this year, not necessarily merit. 

And then there's the team perspective to account for. If they feel they are ready to compete, I can see a couple of surprise cuts where they decide not to invest as much time in development/youth and focus on results/execution. 

From JP Finlay: “A consensus seems to be building for the six wide receivers on the roster: Terry McLaurin, Curtis Samuel, Adam Humphries, Dyami Brown, Cam Sims and Antonio Gandy-Golden. Frankly, no other player has done enough to push for a seventh WR spot.”

So if Finlay is correct here then who is the punt returner? 
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta came calling for Kyle Allen or TH....they just had to sign Josh Rosen to be their potential backup. Not good. 

Yeah, they lost AJ McCarron for the year.  There are a handful of teams where I think Allen would be the better backup.