Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

Montez Sweat said what now? JFC. I just wish we would all use some damn common sense. We're so tribal nowadays. But we're all still Americans and we're all in this together. Get the damn shot. It could literally save your life or someone you love. My mother and her siblings hate each now because politics. It's so sad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, RWJ said:

Amen to that, brother.  Big Brother wants to control the American people.  

So I guess when the Polio vaccine came out and just about everyone got it, it was just Big Brother trying to control the American people. smh

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Excuse me if I’m not gonna have sympathy if he gets it and misses games. That’s on him.  Jon Rahm had a tournament wrapped last week on the pga but had to withdraw due to covid because he decided against getting it.  That cost him 1.4 mil.  Which is a major chunk for a golfer.   You want to take that risk? Fine. No sympathy if you end up on losing side of it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and now we know why this staff is so keen on keeping QB Montez in the fold as much as possible.

With 50% Unvaxed players you dang well better have an emergency option. Probably means at least some of the other QBs are among that 50. Since Montez(QB) has already had covid, he is a bubble QB you don't have to bubble.

Dude is gonna be a virtual lock for the PS if this keeps up.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

So I guess when the Polio vaccine came out and just about everyone got it, it was just Big Brother trying to control the American people. smh

It's much deeper than that.  You have your opinion and I respect it; respect mine please!

• Like 3
  • Confused 2

1 minute ago, bearrock said:

So is Montez Sweat going to continue to wear a mask and socially distance until he gets the vaccine?

Masks are ineffective. Cases are steadily declining. He can do what he wants with his body. It's a free country. You can't force someone to get a vaccine.

If he gets covid, he will quarantine until cleared... 

I know everyone is going to act like this is the end of the world, but it isn't.

Yet another example of why current issues and politics shouldn't be in sports. I don't care what montez sweat feels about vaccines.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Masks are ineffective. Cases are steadily declining. He can do what he wants with his body. It's a free country. You can't force someone to get a vaccine.

I know everyone is going to act like this is the end of 

Yes, he'll quarantine and possibly miss a game.

He could also cause others to miss time.....

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

I know everyone is going to act like this is the end of the world, but it isn't.

Yet another example of why current issues and politics shouldn't be in sports. I don't care what montez sweat feels about vaccines.

The numbers are going down due to the vaccine.  There was a Wapo article that broke down how spread among unvaccinated was still high.  Sweat putting his own health at risk with whatever behavior is his choice.  But if he contracts covid, him and his close contacts will be quarantined.  That's on top of the competitive disadvantage of team activities not going back to pre-covid.

I don't care what Sweat thinks about the vaccine.  But unless the NFL is gonna do away with covid protocols, his choice is putting this team at a competitive disadvantage.  Doubly so if he's out there putting himself at risk of catching covid.

Edited by bearrock
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, DC Lumber Co. said:

Did you not see what happened to Denver and Baltimore last season?  Denver had to put a WR at QB, and Baltimore could only use half their team.  If an entire position group has to go into quarantine then that's an instant 'L'.  Nothing will save that game.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know it's just so tantalizing to some folks that they just can't let it go, but this is the OTA/Training camp thread. It's not the woke meeting place to discuss your covid vaccine butt-hurt. Take it to the Tailgate and quit dragging us thru your political pissing contests. If I wanted to be preached at or lied to, I'd turn on the friggin news. Let it go and quit hijacking my only bastion to escape all that.
That's all. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 11

13 minutes ago, mudhog said:

I know it's just so tantalizing to some folks that they just can't let it go, but this is the OTA/Training camp thread. It's not the woke meeting place to discuss your covid vaccine butt-hurt. Take it to the Tailgate and quit dragging us thru your political pissing contests. If I wanted to be preached at or lied to, I'd turn on the friggin news. Let it go and quit hijacking my only bastion to escape all that.
That's all. 

I think we're gonna need the mods to set the ground rule on the allowable scope on this.  On one hand vaccine is a pretty hot political topic.  On the other hand, the head coach brought in a vaccine expert to try to convince the team to get the vaccine and a star player went on record to say he's not a fan, all of which has football implications.

13 minutes ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

Did you not see what happened to Denver and Baltimore last season?  Denver had to put a WR at QB, and Baltimore could only use half their team.  If an entire position group has to go into quarantine then that's an instant 'L'.  Nothing will save that game.

L as in Logan Thomas will save that game.

Redskin/Team substitute QBs have overcome the most absurd difficulties to saving games.  At least Thomas won't be playing on work release.

Where did this tripe about having to respect all opinions equally come from? Ironically it seems to spew most frequently from those who would likely complain about “participation trophies” in life. Not every opinion is created equal. 

Can we all agree that while some opinions are objectively worthless, this isn’t the place to discuss that? 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

NFL history is littered with sick men every Sunday, deliriously heaving their guts out for their teammates and gridiron glory.  Football is a collision sport, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.  It is a constitutional imperative:  football cannot be played by wimps.

Edited by GothSkinsFan
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 3

2 minutes ago, GothSkinsFan said:

NFL history is littered with sick men every Sunday, deliriously heaving their guts out for their teammates and gridiron glory.  Football is a collision sport, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.  It is a constitutional imperative:  football cannot be played by wimps.

Well, this is silly, because you can’t play your guts out for your team if you test positive for something the NFL is benching players (and those they’ve been in contact with) for. This isn’t as simple as toughing it out for the glory of the game. This isn’t Jordan’s flu game or an ankle sprain. 

• Like 3

The insanity of getting vaccinated against a disease that’s killed millions of people over the last year being a “political” issue aside… if Sweat misses games next season because he’s on the COVID list, will it be a football issue then? Or should we respect his personal choice? How did the same people defending him for this feel about him missing OTAs? Shouldn’t you want him to do whatever possible to stay on the field?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ConnSKINS26 said:

Where did this tripe about having to respect all opinions equally come from? Ironically it seems to spew most frequently from those who would likely complain about “participation trophies” in life. Not every opinion is created equal. 

Can we all agree that while some opinions are objectively worthless, this isn’t the place to discuss that? 

Exactly. We all have freedom to form our own opinions, but people forget that we must also be responsible for those opinions. Responsible for both the substance of one’s opinion and the process one undertakes to form it. While also being responsible for how we manage the feedback we get from our opinion and the level of self reflection and self correction that arises from it. 

People don’t get to deflect and bypass that responsibility and accountability under the guise of absolute freedom. That is immature kid **** and people need to be more dependable and capable than that. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fresh8686 said:

Exactly. We all have freedom to form our own opinions, but people forget that we must also be responsible for those opinions. Responsible for both the substance of one’s opinion and the process one undertakes to form it. While also being responsible for how we manage the feedback we get from our opinion and the level of self reflection and self correction that arises from it. 

People don’t get to deflect and bypass that responsibility and accountability under the guise of absolute freedom. That is immature kid **** and people need to be more dependable and capable than that. 

Yeah.  Montez Sweat is free to be an absolute Gump, but he deserves no defense for his choice to be one.  Certainly doesn't mean he deserves respect for choosing to be one.  When someone chooses to be a selfish, antisocial fool it's actually morally obligatory for their society to enforce taboo.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

No, he expressed it clearly.  He doesn't understand the concept of a vaccine.  The only other quote I saw from another player on the team mentioned talking to the expert helped.

That doesn't sound like agreement for the un-vaccinated.  Just under half the team hasn't gotten a vaccine yet, of the 2 quoted players out of 40(ish)...1 said they didn't understand the concept, the other implied it was helpful.  That's not enough to extrapolate anything from the 40 or so players that don't have it yet.  If we do though, that leaves 20 who don't understand what a vaccine does, and 20 who might be shifting towards getting a vaccine.

My point was that almost half the team agrees with him in not getting the vaccine.  I’m not going try to pretend to know their reason behind it.

I don't think the NFL can or should force all its players to get vaccinated. However,  I do think if players or coaches contract COVID and miss games during the season, they should be fined or lose game checks because of it. 

Call it an idiot tax. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I'd be with you if the debate was about how great Terry was but not elite yet.  But that wasn't the point of that debate.  Posts were made that Terry is overrated by our fan base, including that he put up mediocre numbers.  When some brought in context to sell Terry -- those arguments in turn were flipped back on Terry.  I don't feel like reliving it all but its not hard to find those posts they were just from a few days back.  I respect the poster who led the argument.  He's a smart football guy.  It's all cool.  I just don't agree with him on that point, that's all.  I think the fan base rates Terry just fine and he's on the verge of being something special. 

The context I took from Mcclaurin being brought up by @stevemcqueen1 was how most fans believe he’s a way better WR than Jon Allen or Payne are DTs. Payne and Allen are similar caliber players at their position to that of Mcclaurin. Payne balled out versus Tampa, but receives very little hype. That’s where I agree with players being over and under valued by some fans.  

As to where I'd have him ranked. If I recall it was @Califan007 who made the same point about another player and I agree with that point which is its about the talent of the player versus how this player ranks versus this or that one.  It doesn't move me if lets say Michael Thomas is a hair better that Terry.  It's about whether Terry is a great player and on the verge of being a star.  I am not copping out from doing a ranking :ols:  but I would have to seriously think about it because they are so many great receivers in today's game.   It's not easy to put them in a certain order.  

Ya, I’m not big into rankings, prefer tiers. I don’t think Mcclaurin is with guys like Thomas, Hill, Jones, Hopkins, Metcalf or Adams. 

He’s the next tier with 10 or so other guys: Cooper, Brown (I like him a bit more than Terry), Diggs, Thielen, Robinson (he’s right in the middle of these tiers) and a few others I can think of off the top. 

It is a fact that Terry was headed for monster numbers last year.  He got slowed down after Thanksgiving for a couple of reasons but the big one is playing on an injury that sidelines players typically but he played through the plain. 

I thought this year would end up being one of his biggest career output opportunities due to the lack of weapons and him projecting to receive a huuuuge target share. It was trending that way, I agree. I expect his target share to dip to top 20 this season versus the top 5 he got last season. I speculate he will be out targeted by Samuel, especially with how Turner likes to do things. 

My hope is Mcclaurins YPC average will be in the 16s and catches in the 70-80 range and Samuel will be 90-100 with YPC in the 12s like Mcclaurin last year. Mcclaurin averaging 12 YPC signals to me him being force fed and not used to his strengths. 

As for whether he's elite or great?  You got me, it's a nuanced argument.   I'll argue though against your point that he's "good" at everything. I think that sells him short.  To me he's great at everything.  Great YAC player.  Great speed.  Great route runner.  Great run blocker.  Great leader.

Gets a bit mucky/subjective comparing good to great, but I’m aware of the love he gets from opposing DBs and that matters. In no way do I not think he can become elite, mostly because of his top end speed, due to feeling the large majority of elite guys must have an ace their pocket and his being speed. Confident we will see his speed on display more this season. 

I liked learning that he was working on his releases and short area quickness/burst— my laymen fan view felt he could improve in these areas. 

As for making big plays down the field.  That's what he was known for at Ohio State.  He had a 20 YPC there.  In fact the argument some used against him coming out of that draft was that he was a Johnny One Note -- deep threat guy but what else can he do?  Ironically it was similar on that front to what some say about Dyami Brown when they throw a disclaimer his way.   I wouldn't worry about Terry making more big plays down the field.  Both Haskins (2020 version) and Alex didn't throw the ball much down the field.  Fitzpatrick will.

I agree with all this. 

Most of those press clippings would support him being elite lol. 

Hers to hoping he becomes elite! 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 4