Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

26 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

After today, there will be no WFT practice news for the next 5 weeks 😭😭 i hate the lull in the offseason between minicamp and training camp/preseason. 

And if the offense doesn't pick things up today the narrative for the next 5 weeks will be that the offense is crap and a QB switch needs to be made asap.  God I hope it evens out.  Lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Chris 44 said:

And if the offense doesn't pick things up today the narrative for the next 5 weeks will be that the offense is crap and a QB switch needs to be made asap.  God I hope it evens out.  Lol

I think that would be the narrative if our defense wasn't as good as they are. These guys are going up against a top 3 defense maybe even the best. Hopefully people realize that a top 3 defense makes an average offense not so good lol. 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I think that would be the narrative if our defense wasn't as good as they are. These guys are going up against a top 3 defense maybe even the best. Hopefully people realize that a top 3 defense makes an average offense not so good lol. 

With new QB, different OTs (maybe OGs), several new WRs... 

For now we should just say the offense really has to work for their success which will make them better when it matters.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Cooleyfan1993 said:

After today, there will be no WFT practice news for the next 5 weeks 😭😭 i hate the lull in the offseason between minicamp and training camp/preseason. 

You mean baseball season.  Yeah, it's tough but compared to what it was like when you got your WFT news from Glenn Brenner (a great man), and Glenn didn't tweet ever, this is luxury today.  Imagine all your football news is sports at 6:35 pm and late night on the local news programs, and the next day's Post.  (Don't give me that Star nonsense.)  That's tough.  Then you got a guy like Trances -- he just had the newspaper and it was trucked in from last week.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

two members have correctly pointed out that any extended back-n-forths on covid don't belong in here for obvious reasons

though there is a 'football connection' here topically, it quickly becomes strained and discourse shifts into arguments that belong in the tailgate

so if you aren't sharp enough to know better in the first place (should be a low enough bar), or heed those regs here that do, then just take it from me that posters need to move past the covid-centric exchanges to avoid a temporary ban

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

I'll be honest, this was the most electric mini camp I've ever seen from this team. These guys are fired up. 

The defense is clearly excited.  If anything's true for that 7-9 playoff experience, it's that it left the defense hungry for more.  Seems like their fire is contagious amongst themselves, and it's hopefully forcing the offense to ramp it up.

Also, this would be the best defense William Jackson has been on, and he's never been to the playoffs with the Bengals.  From a quote he had a month back, he sounded really eager to get on the field with the defense.  So he's part of that hunger despite not being here last season.

• Like 9

This is going to be an interesting battle. None of these guys are even close to roster locks. Good opportunity for someone to make the roster that might not otherwise. But if no one particularly stands out… gonna be a tough decision. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Reading between the tea leaves on Rivera's quote from that John Keim tweet, it seems like Heinicke might be a little closer to Fitzpatrick than we thought. This feels like it could be a true training camp QB comp. 

I honestly think thats why Fitz was brought it. Ron has always preached competition at ever position. He just seems to mean it more than most. That and you have to be blind not to see that Hinkcke can ball. He and the team can learn how things are done from Fitz, though. Its going to be a fun offseason, honestly. Im very much looking forward to seeing who comes out as starters at a few spots. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

Reading between the tea leaves on Rivera's quote from that John Keim tweet, it seems like Heinicke might be a little closer to Fitzpatrick than we thought. This feels like it could be a true training camp QB comp. 

I got the impression during the off season that Rivera was not nearly as high on Heinike as some of us fans.  Im also thinking we, as fans, tend to read way too much into snippets of information that's presented to us. I think he will play the best option, I just cant see Heinike being so far ahead of Fitz that he gets the nod though?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

I honestly think thats why Fitz was brought it. Ron has always preached competition at ever position. He just seems to mean it more than most. That and you have to be blind not to see that Hinkcke can ball. He and the team can learn how things are done from Fitz, though. Its going to be a fun offseason, honestly. Im very much looking forward to seeing who comes out as starters at a few spots. 

Yeah this is a young team so a veteran leader like Fitz at QB just seems to fit perfectly. 

Honestly, the best case scenario is Heinicke grabbing this opportunity by the horns and beating out Fitzpatrick (if this is Miami Fitz who is a solid top 15-20 QB). We should be very happy with a QB in his 20s that beat out a starting QB that's 38.

I do think that this team passed on a QB in the draft for a reason and it's not solely because of Fitzpatrick. All this "only fans see Heinicke as a starter" leaking out this offseason IMO was done intentionally to quiet plans of this starting QB competition.  

5 minutes ago, Chris 44 said:

I got the impression during the off season that Rivera was not nearly as high on Heinike as some of us fans.  Im also thinking we, as fans, tend to read way too much into snippets of information that's presented to us. I think he will play the best option, I just cant see Heinike being so far ahead of Fitz that he gets the nod though?

He just said "I hope this motivates Fitzpatrick" and that he was impressed by the strides Taylor made. I think what he said earlier in the offseason was said to put water on the flames, he's not going to come out and say, yeah Heinicke is our guy. That was said pre-draft, there is always deception during that time. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Heinicke at QB2 with a year in a conditioning program and learning the system is going to be huge for us. This year belong to Fitz, but its Heinicke next year I think, even if we bring Fitz back.

I'm pretty sure heinicke has a good grasp of this system, that's why he was able to play so well with a few weeks worth of work.

This is his third stint with turner.

Edited by redskinss

@Burgundy YodaI think that's a little too conniving for Ron. I doubt anything was intentionally leaked or there was some sort of 4D chess deception with regards to QB and Heinicke.

Ron and the FO have been pretty straightforward when it came to the position. He said he liked the way Heinicke played vs TB but noted that he was a guy playing with nothing to lose and said he'd need to see how he played over time to make more of an appraisal; they liked him enough to give him a 2 year deal of backup money. He was open about the QB position being very important for them and about looking for an upgrade there. He said Fitz was their main QB FA target and they were really excited to be able to get him. He's said that there will be competition at the QB spot during camp. He said that the players have really responded well to Fitz. He said Heinicke has looked good and he's pleased with his progress.

I'd be more inclined to take this all at face value and figure that it's probably Fitz's job to lose, but they do like how Heinicke has played and progressed so the leash on Fitz should he start to play poorly won't be super long.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1