Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

2 hours ago, ExoDus84 said:

I don't think the NFL can or should force all its players to get vaccinated. However,  I do think if players or coaches contract COVID and miss games during the season, they should be fined or lose game checks because of it. 

Call it an idiot tax. 

I thought I read that the NFL had said if coaches didn't get vaccinated they could still work with their teams, but only outdoors and only if they get frequently tested. Indoors they wouldn't be allowed contact with the players unless they were vaccinated - again this is from memory, which is getting unreliable as I get older ;) 

I guess the difference may be the NFL can impose rules for coaching staff, but not for players. I wouldn't be surprised if they were talking with the players union about it. This virus isn't going to vanish, there are new variants of it every few months that are more contagious than the last, so team sports are going to have to learn to deal with it for the foreseeable future, much as we all hate the implications of that.

6 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Hey, there's a deadly virus killing people. "Oh no!"

Hey, there's a vaccine/cue.  "Hooray!"

Thats about the only normal response. Get vaxxed or stay in your home.

Bull ****..I'm not staying home..y'all never ever even cared before rather someone got the flu shot or not..why care now?

• Confused 5

6 hours ago, mudhog said:

I know it's just so tantalizing to some folks that they just can't let it go, but this is the OTA/Training camp thread. It's not the woke meeting place to discuss your covid vaccine butt-hurt. Take it to the Tailgate and quit dragging us thru your political pissing contests. If I wanted to be preached at or lied to, I'd turn on the friggin news. Let it go and quit hijacking my only bastion to escape all that.
That's all. 

My mom keeps talking about woke...wanting me to check it out..I don't dare..anyway it was something(sweats take on the vaccine)brought up during ota minicamp but has gotten carried away and I'm done now sorry.

How was my post confusing braveonawarpath?..nobody has ever been concerned rather the next guy has received there flu shot that year or not..why start worrying now?

• Thanks 1

Ok, here's covid in how it relates to football.

If you get it you may miss some time and you could possibly infect teammates and they could miss some time.

Does that suck?

Yes it does.

Has it been discussed?

Yes it has. 

Everything else about the subject is political and doesn't belong in the stadium so unless you find a study that shows the long term negative effects of covid and your ability to get after the quarterback it's time to move on or at least move forums.

5 hours ago, joeken24 said:

How is Dyami doing? Haven't heard a lot.

Id also like to point out that I still haven't heard anything about our new long snapper. I fully expect that today is the day we get a tweet, twitter, facegram, instatweet, "AOL you've got mail", bloody smoke signal that indicates if he can get the ball to Tres Way without him picking it up off the turf or jumping 3 feet as it sails over his head!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, redskinss said:

I know you were joking bit that's definitely a good thing.

Any news about a long snapper is bad news.

Yeah, joking about the tweets and stuff but would be nice to know that the rookie seems to be able to handle the job. Im kind of big on special teams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

The context I took from Mcclaurin being brought up by @stevemcqueen1 was how most fans believe he’s a way better WR than Jon Allen or Payne are DTs. Payne and Allen are similar caliber players at their position to that of Mcclaurin. Payne balled out versus Tampa, but receives very little hype. That’s where I agree with players being over and under valued by some fans.  

Like I said previously I enjoy the McLaurin debate.  It's football and fun.   I know when a player is being played down or played up -- its a matter among other things of looking at the glass half full when factoring context or half empty.   I know when players are played up or played down in discussion.   I can easily play devil's advocate for example on Payne.  I got enough numbers and narrratives to do it.  If you threw some points at me about Payne ala you are doing now and I flipped those points the other way multiple times, I'd come off a bit more down on Payne.   Same idea happened on Terry.   That's all. 😀

4 hours ago, wit33 said:

My hope is Mcclaurins YPC average will be in the 16s and catches in the 70-80 range and Samuel will be 90-100 with YPC in the 12s like Mcclaurin last year. Mcclaurin averaging 12 YPC signals to me him being force fed and not used to his strengths. 

I think I am one of the higher people here on Samuel.  I wanted him big time in FA.    I'd still guess knowing Fitzpatrick some that Terry ends up with more receiving targets.   I think Samuel ends up with more touches because of how he will be used in the backfield.   But Fitz likes to let it fly and Terry is the more polished receiver.  

I found a good article this morning from Warren Sharp about Terry which I didn't spot before.  

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/terry-mclaurin-is-a-star-without-much-help/

What’s made McLaurin’s game stand out this season is how he’s been able to adapt to what was needed in the offense. At Ohio State, McLaurin was an underused receiver who often ran deep while the offense scheme and quarterback Dwayne Haskins favored short throws into space. In his senior season, McLaurin had just a 10.1% target share. Compare that to the 22.9% target share for Parris Campbell. But McLaurin’s targets averaged 5.9 more yards than when Ohio State threw the ball to anyone else, compared to 0.84 yards for Campbell’s.

That big play ability continued in his rookie season as a third-round pick. His 14.1-yard average depth of target was 16th-highest among receivers with at least 43 targets on the season, the qualifying cutoff for NFL Next Gen Stats. McLaurin had a number of long deep plays, but even with those deep shots, McLaurin had the ability to gain yards after the catch. Per Next Gen Stats, McLaurin created 1.3 yards after the catch above expectation, which ranked 28th among that same group of qualified receivers.

With some quarterback issues and the quarterback change in 2020, Washington has shifted McLaurin’s role and he’s now embraced the short area of the field. With that, he’s taken off as one of the league’s best yards after the catch receivers. His 7.1 yards after the catch per reception ranks third and 2.1 yards after the catch above expectation is now seventh among receivers in 2020, according to Next Gen Stats.

But even as McLaurin’s depth of target has increased, his air yard share in the offense has grown. Through Week 8, McLaurin had the highest share of his team’s intended air yards (how far the ball traveled in the air on each target) in the league. 

Terry McLaurin, 2019-2020

YEAR ADOT INTENDED AIR YARD SHARE (RK) YAC/REC (RK) YAC/R ABOVE EXPECTATION
2019 14.1 37.09% (9) 3.9 (90) 1.3 (28)
2020 10 45.48% (1) 7.1 (3) 2.1 (7)

It shouldn’t be a surprise, then, to see how McLaurin’s targets have shifted. McLaurin has been significantly more involved in the short area of the field, where nearly half of his targets have come between 1 to 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.

Terry McLaurin Targets By Depth, 2019-2020

YEAR TARGETS 1-10 11-19 20+
2019 93 41 (44.1%) 25 (26.9%) 24 (25.8%)
2020 69 34 (49.3%) 16 (23.2%) 10 (14.5%)

Part of the problem, and what McLaurin has needed to overcome, is the quarterback play between Haskins and Kyle Allen, hasn’t been great. Despite being one of the most targeted receivers in the league, McLaurin’s percentage of catchable passes is well below the league average. (McLaurin is the red dot.)

Catchable-Targets-2020-min.-30-targets.p

Much of that has popped up on deep passes and in the intermediate area (between 11-19 air yards), where McLaurin was incredibly productive in 2019.

Terry McLaurin Intermediate Targets, 2019-2020

YEAR TARGETS/CATCHABLE REC YARDS EPA POSITIVE PLAY%
2019 25/20 18 336 16.5 72%
2020 16/6 6 91 -1.7 37.5%

Without that intermediate production, McLaurin has needed to create his own big plays, which is where the yards after the catch comes in. This season, McLaurin has been able to create more on short targets than any other receiver in the league. Among 23 players with at least 30 short targets this season, McLaurin has the highest percentage of receiving yards that have come after the catch, the only receiver over 60%.

YAC-On-Targets-1-10-Air-Yards-2020-min.-

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

21 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Apke is going to make this roster at CB4 and STs and it's going to be huge for us. 

Maybe there is something to be said for that theory.  Would the 4-2-5 Be more consistent against the run and short passing game if the most of the DB's are hybrid types who can cover and hit and tackle?   Maybe that is what they are trying to build here, and if so, I like it.  They can still have one or two traditional type cover corners who can play man and are light and agile enough to stick with the elite offensive guys, but the rest of the DB's are all bigger hybrid types that can cover and play tough at the point of attack if need be.   Cant wait to see how it plays out. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, wit33 said:

Ya, I’m not big into rankings, prefer tiers. I don’t think Mcclaurin is with guys like Thomas, Hill, Jones, Hopkins, Metcalf or Adams. 

I still think this also shows how much effect the person passing to them has as well. Look at that list then break out the QB who have been throwing to them: Brees, Mahomes, Ryan, Tannehill, Wilson, Rodgers. Probably the "worst" QB there is either Tannehill or Ryan, and both of them are arguably still top 10 QBs.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Its a free country Sweat is allowed to not get the vaccine if he wants to wait for more facts. If he gets sick he get sick....anyone around him who doesn't have the vaccine will also get sick, and those who did get the vaccine won't get sick right? So whats the big deal.

1.  His logic was he will wait to get the vaccine until he gets COVID, or that was certainly the impression he left.  Do I need to explain to you that this is not how a vaccine works?

2.  It's not just about him. As has been explained if he gets COVID it has a huge effect on the rest of the team. 

Edited by Darrell Green Fan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, UK Skins said:

Something that hadn't even occurred to me until Chris44 brought it up. Is the new long snapper going to make Hopkins even more erratic? Or hopefully somehow more consistent. 🤔

I am not sure of my memory, but I seem to recall where he struggled was punts. Getting it there with some oomph while maintaining the accuracy. 

23 hours ago, Alcoholic Zebra said:

A "cool the jets" moment for the hype of BSJ.  Early returns sound phenomenal, but annointing him a shutdown press corner opposite William Jackson seems like a tall task.

FWIW, I can't really think of an NFL defense besides the 2015 Broncos, that had great corners and great pass rushers.  That combo just doesn't really exist.  Some great defenses came close, but it's more like they had 1 great corner and another solid one.  Because comparators aren't there, the odds of BSJ being really good out of the gate are likely slim-to-none.  Otherwise this defense is going to be extremely unusual for opposing teams to go against.

Pffft.  He's 6'3", that's nearly Anthony Mix tall.  He can do tall tasks fine.

23 hours ago, terpfan said:

WTF is Montez Sweat talking about? Doesn’t want to get vaccinated because he hasn’t gotten COVID? Is the “more information” he needs just the definition of a vaccine?

At a minimum I feel like the facts he wants to find out about might be determined when posed in the form of a question to an expert.

Edited by jsharrin55
  • Haha 2