Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Exactly why Young and Sweat should be there.....

I feel you but there is a different level for these elite players. They take it personally and don’t trust the team to be on the same page. 

My best example of this is Trent. And he never let us down physically. 

1 hour ago, Llevron said:

I feel you but there is a different level for these elite players. They take it personally and don’t trust the team to be on the same page. 

My best example of this is Trent. And he never let us down physically. 

A similar way to look at it : what if right now, during OTA's, Chase Young and Montez Sweat are both doing the very things that made them great, to begin with.

Doing the things that made them the players that they are ; the players that we all love.

Chase Young is out there Chase Younging. And Montez Sweat is out there Montez Sweating.

Sylvia Fowles Womens History Month GIF by WNBA

Edited by Malapropismic Depository
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Harmon has a few things going against him ; Questions whether he's fully recovered, his lack of speed to begin with, other young players like Cam Sims have taken advantage of the opportunity during the time Harmon was out injured, newly acquired receivers through both FA and draft no doubt will make it harder for him to make an impact.

My gut feeling is neither Harmon nor AGG latch on here.

One or 2 of them might make the roster this year. But I don't get a sense that either of them have what it takes to hang on here, long-term

McLaurin, Samuel, Humphries, D. Brown, and Cam Sims, all probably beat him out.

That's 5 guys right there.

That leaves probably 1 more space for Harmon to battle it out with all of these (and that's IF we even carry more than 5) :

Wright

S. Sims

Carter (KR/PR)

AGG

Milne

T. Brown

So I see Harmon's chances as...almost slim.

Yeah, as I said, solid chance Harmon doesn’t make the cut.  I do have a bit of a soft spot for him because I think there’s a place for a possession receiver that blocks their *** off, has great hands and is a good (pretty good?) STer.  He also produced as a rook, has a good contract and his college coaches raved about his work ethic and character (like probably the hardest worker they’ve ever had in their program).  

Outside of the 4 I see as locks (Humphries/Brown as #3/4, though I wouldn’t be shocked if one of the other guys slotted in at #3 or 4 ahead of them), it looks like a pretty darn interesting battle for 5/6, IMO.  Can’t offer any judgement on T. Brown, and I know nothing about Carter beyond some return ability, but the rest are sort of a mishmash of various pros, cons and unknowns.  

Milne is probably the most intriguing for me because I think he offer some versatility (I think he’ll eventually be able to play inside and out), has good hands, work ethic, and burst, probably offers the most speed, and has the best contract situation.

I think the best thing Cam has going for him (and I’m not trying to minimize his talent), is his rapport with Heinicke.  He should have a chance to pick up where he left off last year this preseason.

• Like 1

@Skinsinparadise honestly that can take that clip, add in the loss of the fans at the end of Grudens tenure, cut it where RR rings the bell, and then add a bunch of highlights from the season and specifically our playoff game.....and then play that in the stadium before the team comes out for the first home game. I think it would be an epic start to the season. Everyone right now understands going through something. I feel like everyone would FEEL that one. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, LD0506 said:

People talk about culture change but what is that really? Respect, communication and understanding, "buying in" means they're all on the same page, have the same goals and mindset. IMO this is what Ron is focused on, you get guys bustin ass and laughin while they do it? You've got it goin on. Tellin each other to hustle? Fun-bunchin the rook safety after a pick? That is the fundamental psychological part of the simple word "team". Ron is building a team, not just a roster. There's no stats for that but when you hear the guys in interviews and see their faces, you know it's happening.

great post and it is reassuring knowing Ron will make the right call in who to keep and who to let walk. It didn't take much time for him to realize who to cut loose that was here this time last year. None of that was a coincidence or because of cap space or anything else. You name them. They didn't fit in here anymore. It's all about who is all on the Riverboat.

Edited by Redskin21502
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, skinny21 said:

I think the best thing Cam has going for him (and I’m not trying to minimize his talent), is his rapport with Heinicke.  He should have a chance to pick up where he left off last year

One reason I'm no longer a fan of cam is exactly due to where he left off with Heinicke throwing to him.  It's not EASY for me to DROP that memory

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Wow!

The first few minutes I thought it was just another installment of the Stephen A. Smith buck dancing and hating show but it turned into a VERY entertaining video.

Is it available on youtube?

If so, could someone drop a link to it on this thread. I can easily download youtube vids for off line viewing. TIA

EDIT: Never mind. I first watched the vid on a cell phone that wasn’t logged in to Extremeskins. On my logged in ipad I see the direct link to youtube.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

My gut feeling is neither Harmon nor AGG latch on here.

One or 2 of them might make the roster this year. But I don't get a sense that either of them have what it takes to hang on here, long-term.

I guess Humphries could be back for a second year, but I am not sure we'll see that happen. That does open up a spot next year. So, theoretically Harmon and Cam Sims could both be here long-term. 

McLaurin/C.Sims

Brown/AGG

Samuel/Humphries

For 2021, you have Humphries and Cam Sims. And you probably keep a maximum of 6, so two must go. Harmon and Milne should get to the PS. 

Probably look elsewhere in the draft next year too with clear needs elsewhere and QB draft capital to consider, so might be the same group for a couple of years. 

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

I guess Humphries could be back for a second year, but I am not sure we'll see that happen. That does open up a spot next year. So, theoretically Harmon and Cam Sims could both be here long-term. 

McLaurin/C.Sims

Brown/AGG

Samuel/Humphries

For 2021, you have Humphries and Cam Sims. And you probably keep a maximum of 6, so two must go. Harmon and Milne should get to the PS. 

Probably look elsewhere in the draft next year too with clear needs elsewhere and QB draft capital to consider, so might be the same group for a couple of years. 

Yea, Harmon and/or AGG coming back next year, depends on them getting through the PS. And they probably would.

But I still don't have high hopes for them.

Both Harmon and AGG remind me quite a bit of Doctson and Pryor : they're skilled at getting the jump ball, but not at keeping separation.

The former is a great skill, but not all by itself. You have to have the latter, to some degree, to make it in the NFL.

Hope I'm wrong about the 2. But history suggests that's highly unlikely.

You have to keep em separated. Talk about a great background song, to go on a highlight video of a WR who gets open a lot.

Edited by Malapropismic Depository

2 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

Wow!

The first few minutes I thought it was just another installment of the Stephen A. Smith buck dancing and hating show but it turned into a VERY entertaining video.

Is it available on youtube?

If so, could someone drop a link to it on this thread. I can easily download youtube vids for off line viewing. TIA

EDIT: Never mind. I first watched the vid on a cell phone that wasn’t logged in to Extremeskins. On my logged in ipad I see the direct link to youtube.

That’s good stuff.  Well done

• Like 1

HONORABLE MENTION: TERRY MCLAURIN, WASHINGTON FOOTBALL TEAM

After some additions to Washington’s receiver unit and a new arm at quarterback, McLaurin will hopefully get back to doing what he does best in 2021: stretching the field. 

His average depth of target dipped from 14.6 yards as a rookie in 2019 to 9.9 yards in 2020. The percentage of his catches that turned into a 15-plus-yard gain decreased from 40% to 30%, and his yardage total from vertical routes was nearly halved, from 404 to 207, despite him seeing 37 more targets overall. This was solely because of the Football Team’s quarterback situation. Just look at his targets above expectation from 2019 compared to 2020:

McLaurin_Heat_Maps.png

During his 2019 rookie campaign, McLaurin hauled in 12 deep receptions, tying for the eighth-most in the NFL that season and tying for the fourth-most we have seen from a first-year wideout in the PFF era. Only time will tell whether McLaurin gets back to his old ways in 2021, but the third-year receiver seems poised to finish near the top of the deep receiving ranks with Ryan Fitzpatrick throwing him the rock.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Redskin21502 said:

great post and it is reassuring knowing Ron will make the right call in who to keep and who to let walk. It didn't take much time for him to realize who to cut loose that was here this time last year. None of that was a coincidence or because of cap space or anything else. You name them. They didn't fit in here anymore. It's all about who is all on the Riverboat.

And it's reassuring to know it isn't out of spite, it isn't some judgement on their worth as players or people, it's just time to part ways, amiably as adults.

Kerrigan goes to Philly? Glad he got picked up

Moses? Hope he catches on somewhere

But I'd love to see all the vengeful backbiting on the way out the door come to an end. Ryan Clark still has a serious bug up his ass on ESPN, I'd be willing to bet that Antonio Pierce does too, no one really chooses that without some help. 

Let's be a mature responsible franchise again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, LD0506 said:

And it's reassuring to know it isn't out of spite, it isn't some judgement on their worth as players or people, it's just time to part ways, amiably as adults.

Kerrigan goes to Philly? Glad he got picked up

Moses? Hope he catches on somewhere

But I'd love to see all the vengeful backbiting on the way out the door come to an end. Ryan Clark still has a serious bug up his ass on ESPN, I'd be willing to bet that Antonio Pierce does too, no one really chooses that without some help. 

Let's be a mature responsible franchise again.

Interestingly, last night I happened to catch a few moments of "A Football Life, Jerry Rice"  Jerry lived and died football, a consummate professional. Yet, there came a time that the 49ers thought it was time to  "move on" from him. The 49ers even had a Jerry Rice day. Yet, T.O. still had more throws to him that day than the greatest did. As they interviewed Jerry and his family, you could tell that Rice was still upset about being let go even though it was almost 40 years ago.  Goodbye is sometimes hard, even if done properly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, bowhunter said:

Interestingly, last night I happened to catch a few moments of "A Football Life, Jerry Rice"  Jerry lived and died football, a consummate professional. Yet, there came a time that the 49ers thought it was time to  "move on" from him. The 49ers even had a Jerry Rice day. Yet, T.O. still had more throws to him that day than the greatest did. As they interviewed Jerry and his family, you could tell that Rice was still upset about being let go even though it was almost 40 years ago.  Goodbye is sometimes hard, even if done properly.

Interesting contrast to Barry Sanders who hung it up with plenty left in the tank.  Granted being a Lion sucked, but he wasn't consumed with stardom or proving he could still play.  I think John Riggins handled it well.  He loved the roar of the crowd when he did what he did, gave it his all, left it on the field, accepted when he could no longer perform, found post-football success, and had the best situational awareness i've ever heard of when, getting inducted into the Redskins Ring of Honor with Joe T., came out in full uniform to thunderous applause.  Why John?, Theismann asked.  I had to hear it one more time.

• Like 3

Catching up with some podcasts this weekend and bringing it to some of the discussion that we've had here.

Keim isn't on an island as for hearing that S. Charles is seen more in that building as a guard than a tackle in spite of Charles playing LT with Leno out.  From what I recall everyone who covers the team has said they heard the same on Charles.  But they also said that its not etched in stone.  And they also all say that they want to use camp to experiment with many of the players to see what they can do including Charles in part to see if they can move to a different spot in the future and in part to have in season flexibility in case of injuries. 

And that this staff seems obsessed with position flex - and especially on the O line.  They want to have O lineman who can play multiple spots.  Rivera has talked about that openly.

Rivera's been asked this off season about whether Charles is a guard or tackle and flat out said he's not sure yet.  So it sounds like judging by beat reporters the team's hunch is he'd be a better guard than tackle but they want to see that play out this camp and even if he is more of a guard they want him to be able to play tackle in a pinch.

It sounds like its a similar story on Jamin Davis.  They want to get him experience at Mike even if he ends up mostly playing Will.  They want their LBs to be interchangable. 

Same idea at WR.  Samuel at slot, backfield and outside.  Terry at slot and outside.  

They envision Gibson willl break out even more.  And sounds like they intend to use him more as a pass catcher than they did last year.

S. Toney potentially both at OLB and DE. 

Apke at CB-S albeit he likely doesn't make the team.  Position flex. 

Practice looked night and day from last year as for the crispness and prepardness from the offense.  They believe Rivera feels really good about that. 

Chase Young and Montez Sweat are training together in Miami.  Young has been a good influence on Sweat as for training -- sounds like Sweat follows Young's lead on that front.

The rock star coaches as for being boisterous in camp are Pete Hoener and Chris Harris.  Hoener does it in a colorful/cantankerous way.  Harris by brimming with energy.  As for assistant coaches the big ones as for reputation seem to be Hoenner, Matsko, Harris.  Harris almost got some D coordinator jobs this off season. 

Seems like a theme to make the roster as for the borderline types is position flex/high character/work ethic.  So yeah as for the close battles sounds like the closer the player is to a swiss army knife the better their shot. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 8

On 5/28/2021 at 7:06 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

New starting QB. New Tackles at both ends. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if coach told Young and Sweat to stay away for a couple weeks until the offense gets some cohesion going. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

Chase Young and Montez Sweat are training together in Miami......

Training what?

This is literally all you’ve posted about since they didn’t show, just let it go. We’d all prefer they be here, in a perfect world. They aren’t, there’s nothing we can do about it—and they’re still arguably our best defensive players and they’re still putting in work to be ready when they do arrive. Which they will, for mandatory work, before you know it. Any further problems with the situation should be addressed to the NFLPA and the NFL the next time they negotiate a new CBA.

We’re all allowed to care about what we care about and I’m not trying to control your posts—but you’ve only posted about this issue this week, in a time where there’s tons to be excited about with this team for the first time in ages. Just seems unhealthy. It’s not even an issue that will matter in a month (or less), why get stuck on it? They are both well on their way to being elite upper-echelon NFL players, this is a blip and doesn’t matter in the grand scheme. We should be thankful that they’re at least together taking care of business and building that bond—because we’d like to keep them together on this roster for a long time. They’ll be here soon enough. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, JaxJoe said:

New starting QB. New Tackles at both ends. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if coach told Young and Sweat to stay away for a couple weeks until the offense gets some cohesion going. 

I respect your opinion, but this makes no sense to me. I think that any coach would prefer a 100% turnout to all OTAs, (obviously that's just my opinion).

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, London Kev said:

I respect your opinion, but this makes no sense to me. I think that any coach would prefer a 100% turnout to all OTAs, (obviously that's just my opinion).

You're definitely probably right, but I could see it. Maybe not "aaked" them to, but they're our stars, so I could see it being slightly beneficial. It's cool that they're working out together. 

• Like 1