Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official Roster Thread or similar ;)

KDawg

On the one hand, I love Rivera rewarding the team for great work by canceling some OTAs. On the other, I think part of the job of OTAs and preseason is helping to discover the gems and this provides a few less chances for low round rookies, udfas, and any invites to stand out.

I mean they will have mandatories and preseason, too... but every rep is a chance to flash. I wonder if he could have said, "I'm happy so I'm canceling the next round of voluntary OTAs, but we're going to hold another rookie/walk on camp instead."?

7 hours ago, Burgundy Yoda said:

It's a pipe dream, but just imagine if this guy turned out to be a Richard Sherman type lol. 

I mean it’s not necessarily a pipe dream. I think style wise that’s what they’re expecting of him. Now being the same caliber of player is something that needs to develop. But that’s the style.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Burgold said:

I mean they will have mandatories and preseason, too... but every rep is a chance to flash. I wonder if he could have said, "I'm happy so I'm canceling the next round of voluntary OTAs, but we're going to hold another rookie/walk on camp instead."?

I like your thinking. And with only three pre-season games that's even less chance for those guys to shine.

16 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

12:1 odds is an Ohio State love fest.

If I coached an NFL team I'd hire whoever their d-line coach is and tell him to just keep doing whatever he did in college.

Ohio State's D-Line is a semi local guy, Larry Johnson Sr. (his son, Larry Johnson Jr. had a 10 year NFL career).  Larry Johnson Sr. was the HC of McDonogh HS in Baltimore MD for 17 seasons and TC Williams in Virginia for 2 seasons before working at Penn St 17 seasons before spending the last 8 seasons at Ohio St.   He is a really good recruiter.  Supposedly the University of Maryland contacted him about their DC position a couple times, but he has always been happy where he was.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Burgold said:

On the one hand, I love Rivera rewarding the team for great work by canceling some OTAs. On the other, I think part of the job of OTAs and preseason is helping to discover the gems and this provides a few less chances for low round rookies, udfas, and any invites to stand out.

Also less chance for an injury that would ruin our season before it even started... it balances out in my mind. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, zskins said:

Synonyms:

cheerful · cheery · merry · jolly · lighthearted · mirthful · jovial · glad · happy · bright · in good spirits · in high spirits · joyful · elated · exuberant · animated · lively · sprightly · vivacious · buoyant · bouncy · bubbly · perky · effervescent · playful · frolicsome · chirpy · on top of the world · as happy as a sandboy · as happy as a clam!

tenor.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 5

7 hours ago, XxSpearheadxX said:

I'm telling Ionaiddis you said that 

Oh ****! 98 is our Greek freak?

Ionaiddis is my boy. He can damn well come in looking like Fat Albert the way he brings it every down. Hell, I’ll personally deliver him pizzas, bbq ribs and double stuff oreos for lunch if he wants it.

I guess with a year off I absolutely forgot his number. I thought he was just some unknown overweight roster filling jag.

EDIT: Just edited the original post that you responded to...

Damn is number 98, at the beginning of the video, "in the family way" (with twins)?

EDIT: Just realized 98 is our Greek freak, Ioannidis (sp)!! Forget what I foolishly said that bad ass mothersucker can eat anything he wants as long as he keeps demolishing o-lines!

Edited by TrancesWithWolves

4 hours ago, Burgold said:

I think he’s doing it to achieve five different but complimentary objectives:

1. to reward the players for the hard work they’ve done. (obviously)

2. to keep things fresh and exciting, during the time the players are there, by essentially incentivizing effort and attendance.

3. to avoid the jinx effect by limiting opportunities for injury or mishap.

4.  to subtly influence any players that might be thinking about missing a day or two in the future to abandon that idea because coach is already looking out for them.

5. to send an indirect message, to the VERY few that didn’t show up, to get there asses here asap to be part of this unique unprecedented thing that’s manifesting before our eyes.

EDIT:

6. to increase the bond and trust between the players and their head coach.

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Good to see

I gave it a nice laughing emoji but somehow it doesn’t seem enough to express the magnitude of my inner glee at the Giants misfortune. heh heh heh...

We need three new emojis customized for each division opponent to specifically make fun of major intra-divisional moments like this.

• Like 4

Wow reading that article, it’s actually way worse for the giants than the headline alone implies. The starting corners aren’t at OTA’s either and Kadarius Toney has been the sideshow kind of guy people were worried about. 

Toney, in particular, is a curious case. It appears he has not been with the team all week for the start of phase three to the NFL offseason.

Toney is the lone unsigned Giants’ 2021 draft pick following third-round corner Aaron Robinson’s signing on Thursday morning.

It isn’t uncommon for the Giants to sign their first-round pick deep into the summer. But Toney’s absence is noteworthy because his rookie minicamp was a bit of a sideshow, with his barefoot practicing and apparent lower-body injury that limited him in both practices on May 14-15.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I think he’s doing it to achieve five different but complimentary objectives:

1. to reward the players for the hard work they’ve done. (obviously)

2. to keep things fresh and exciting, during the time the players are there, by essentially incentivizing effort and attendance.

3. to avoid the jinx effect by limiting opportunities for injury or mishap.

4.  to subtly influence any players that might be thinking about missing a day or two in the future to abandon that idea because coach is already looking out for them.

5. to send an indirect message, to the VERY few that didn’t show up, to get there asses here asap to be part of this unique unprecedented thing that’s manifesting before our eyes.

EDIT:

6. to increase the bond and trust between the players and their head coach.

People talk about culture change but what is that really? Respect, communication and understanding, "buying in" means they're all on the same page, have the same goals and mindset. IMO this is what Ron is focused on, you get guys bustin ass and laughin while they do it? You've got it goin on. Tellin each other to hustle? Fun-bunchin the rook safety after a pick? That is the fundamental psychological part of the simple word "team". Ron is building a team, not just a roster. There's no stats for that but when you hear the guys in interviews and see their faces, you know it's happening.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 5

On 5/28/2021 at 8:20 AM, LD0506 said:

People talk about culture change but what is that really? Respect, communication and understanding, "buying in" means they're all on the same page, have the same goals and mindset. IMO this is what Ron is focused on, you get guys bustin ass and laughin while they do it? You've got it goin on. Tellin each other to hustle? Fun-bunchin the rook safety after a pick? That is the fundamental psychological part of the simple word "team". Ron is building a team, not just a roster. There's no stats for that but when you hear the guys in interviews and see their faces, you know it's happening.

An elite culture has the ability to equal that of an elite QB as far as sustaining success. Yes, having both is amazing lol. But having an above average starter at 5% of the cap with an elite culture is an intriguing formula. 

Edited by wit33
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Their entire secondary didn't show. That's awesome. I'm glad we play them week 2 since their **** won't be together yet. Then again last. We need to sweep them this year. ****ing hate the giants and that we keep losing to them.

Not trying to pile on Ron, but the main reason we lost to them in the first game is because he went for a 2-pointer at the end of the game, when a PAT would have tied it.

The 2nd game, we lost by only 3. And because our leading rusher was limited to 20 yards, and our leading receiver was a RB.

So, no way do they "own" us. They just got the breaks last year. We've upgraded those little things that they beat us by. Things will be much different this year

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

Not trying to pile on Ron, but the main reason we lost to them in the first game is because he went for a 2-pointer at the end of the game, when a PAT would have tied it.

The 2nd game, we lost by only 3. And because our leading rusher was limited to 20 yards, and our leading receiver was a RB.

So, no way do they "own" us. They just got the breaks last year. We've upgraded those little things that they beat us by. Things will be much different this year

We're 3 and 7 in the last 10 against them, including 5 straight losses. That's ownership. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, LD0506 said:

This is a " it made me standup and cheer" take!

Wow, great stuff LD0506!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

We're 3 and 7 in the last 10 against them, including 5 straight losses. That's ownership. 

If we had the same coach, all that time, I would agree.

But I don't think it's fair to hold Rivera responsible for what happened before him. Just hold him responsible for that 2-pointer :) which I'm sure he learned from.

In fact, it's not just the coach that's different from those last 10 games. Our 2021 roster does not even remotely resemble what it was, just 2 seasons ago. And the coaching assistants. And the whole Front Office. And the scouts.

We don't even have the same team name. Even the cheerleaders are gone.

The only thing we have in 2021 that resembles our team from 2+ years ago, during that losing streak, is the city name "Washington". That's it.

And the city "Washington" is not causing us to lose those games or become owned.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

If we had the same coach, all that time, I would agree.

But I don't think it's fair to hold Rivera responsible for what happened before him. Just hold him responsible for that 2-pointer :) which I'm sure he learned from.

In fact, it's not just the coach that's different from those last 10 games. Our 2021 roster does not even remotely resemble what it was, just 2 seasons ago. And the coaching assistants. And the whole Front Office. And the scouts.

We don't even have the same team name. Even the cheerleaders are gone.

The only thing we have in 2021 that resembles our team from 2+ years ago, during that losing streak, is the city name "Washington". That's it.

And the city "Washington" is not causing us to lose those games or become owned.

None of that matters. We have the same fans and we've watched the giants continue to beat us, no matter what we're fielding for 3 years.

1 minute ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

This is a " it made me standup and cheer" take!

Wow, great stuff LD0506!

Man, I'm not a cheerleader but I know what I see when I see it. Rivera is transforming this team, this franchise, this fanbase and IMO he is doing it by genuinely meaning what he says, the goal is to field a successful team. His definition of successful team involves on field performance, spirit and attitude in the lockerroom, coaching players and young men, pursuing the collective good instead of feeding his ego. We used to be proud of this team, OUR team, we used to brag about it, we all shared a swagger and that died. It was murdered horribly, Jack the Ripper saw what Snyder wrought and cringed, something that we had and shared for generations was taken from us. And that is gone, over, just have to accept that but now? Riverboat Ron and his crew are building something new for us! He gets paid, Fitz gets paid, Chase is really gonna get paid, but all of us have to get ours in feels. 

I'm feelin it

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

I mean it’s not necessarily a pipe dream. I think style wise that’s what they’re expecting of him. Now being the same caliber of player is something that needs to develop. But that’s the style.

That's exactly what I mean, there are quite a few guys in the NFL that are 6'3 with long arms that like to bump at the LOS, but how many Richard Shermans? He will definitely take some time to develop. I think this was the draft pick that drew the most negative feedback from our fanbase and I'm not sure why. His 3-cone time is insane for someone his size, very solidly built for his size, and I'm pretty sure teams just flat out avoided throwing to him last year. 

Edited by Burgundy Yoda
  • Like 4