Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Undrafted Free Agent Tracker

gooseneck

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

That is probably true. But we also signed only 4 or 5 guys last year. Seems like a theme. Worked out last year so I won't complain, I just generally like to give guys a chance and it's not like we didn't rely on players who originally went undrafted last year. Danny Johnson, Jeremy Reaves, Steven Sims, Cam Sims, Marcus Baugh, Taylor Heinicke, Cornelius Lucas, J.D. McKissic, Steven Montez, Isaiah Wright and Jared Norris are all players who played for us last season and didn't get drafted.

It's a numbers game and while it's awesome if they feel confident about the draft class it's never a bad idea to keep looking.

Ultimately they will probably sign a couple of more guys. Just feels a bit odd that they are not competing for the high priority UDFA.

well, we did bring back a ton of the guys we had on the PS last year, so maybe we're actually thinking on giving some of them a bit more time to develop

Maybe with the pandemic they didn't feel like they had enough opportunity to properly scout the lower tier guys and they actually will use the minicamp tryouts thoroughly

I'm also in the camp with those wondering if WFT is really going too slow out the gates in UFDA signings.  As of last night, WFT only had one signing, when 30 other teams had multiple signings.  (Only the Patriots had none.)  There were some decent candidates who went undrafted -- but most of those were snapped up by other teams.

I'm glad WFT did sign a UFDA RB, but if this is about instilling competition at every position, why not find some other UDFAs at other positions too? For example, it might have been worth taking a chance to sign another UDFA QB to light a fire under Allen and last year's QB project, Montez.  Or does last year's practice squad plus this year's draftees provide sufficient numbers?

Right now, WFT'S approach to the UDFA signing seems overly slow.

Below is the link I was using when I wrote this:

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/nfl-udfa-tracker-2021-undrafted-free-agent-signings-following-2021-nfl-draft/

Last year RR was dealing with serious medical issues, and an unsettled front office situation, during the height of a pandemic that people were still figuring out ways to avoid catching it.  He also had a new team, a new coaching staff, new game plans and large number of players which he'd need to evaluate.  So if RR decided not to sign a lot of UDFAs, that made some sense for April 2020.

April 2021 is a different situation.  And in this year's draft period when one didnt have as much film, combines, etc. to evaluate the folks one might be interested in drafting  -- it makes more sense to take any opportunity to WIDEN your net to pick up and check out the folks you were interested in, rather than to narrow your search, or delay it, or forego it entirely.

The only reason I can think for the WFT being so slow to sign UDFAs is because they're focusing on signing some of the veteran UFAs who were waiting to sign after the draft.  I really hope that this is the reason, rather than the WFT FO deciding that it can 'stand pat' with what they've currently got on the roster.

Again, I’m willing to bet we were in on more of these guys than we are giving credit for. 

Other teams may provide better opportunities or connections. Some of this stuff isn’t in the team’s direct control.

QB is a tough one on this roster, to be honest. 

We are deep at the position. We need a long term starter, for sure. But the depth there is quality. Why sign in DC when Fitz, Heinicke off that playoff performance, Allen and Montez are already in place?

Yes, they could unseat Montez. But Montez knows the system. A UDFA coming in would have a major uphill climb there. 

It’s like when we look for employment. Do you love taking a job where there’s no upward growth opportunity? Or is that a job you take when you need the experience and there aren’t other options?

Using Jamie Newman as an example, which by the way I’m not much of a fan of... why sign with WFT when the Eagles have nothing behind Hurts?

Shane Buechele? Why sign with Washington when you can go learn under Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes and may actually stick even as a practice squad guy?

I’m willing to bet we will have a ton of young camp bodies and even probably more UDFA. But the early going is tough to get some of these dudes in here. 

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Again, I’m willing to bet we were in on more of these guys than we are giving credit for. 

Other teams may provide better opportunities or connections. Some of this stuff isn’t in the team’s direct control.

QB is a tough one on this roster, to be honest. 

We are deep at the position. We need a long term starter, for sure. But the depth there is quality. Why sign in DC when Fitz, Heinicke off that playoff performance, Allen and Montez are already in place?

Yes, they could unseat Montez. But Montez knows the system. A UDFA coming in would have a major uphill climb there. 

It’s like when we look for employment. Do you love taking a job where there’s no upward growth opportunity? Or is that a job you take when you need the experience and there aren’t other options?

Using Jamie Newman as an example, which by the way I’m not much of a fan of... why sign with WFT when the Eagles have nothing behind Hurts?

Shane Buechele? Why sign with Washington when you can go learn under Andy Reid and Pat Mahomes and may actually stick even as a practice squad guy?

I’m willing to bet we will have a ton of young camp bodies and even probably more UDFA. But the early going is tough to get some of these dudes in here. 

Yeah, if I were a TE, RB, or CB I'd be looking here.

1 minute ago, mhd24 said:

Yeah, if I were a TE, RB, or CB I'd be looking here.

TE is a tough one too. Have a starter. Have a blocking tight end. Have a project.

If I were an agent I’d be guiding my guys elsewhere. 

RB, yes. Until Patterson arrived. Now it’s Gibson, McKissick, Lamar Miller, Jaret Patterson, Peyton Barber, Jonathan Williams (who has live regular season carries for the Colts in 2019).

I could see us getting later UDFA and regular low end FAs in these spots pretty easily though. Just not priority UDFA. 

CB is a bit of a log jam as well but traditionally that’s a spot where you can make an impact on the back end of a roster. 

3 hours ago, Panninho said:
Don't get this approach. We traded super early into the 6th round to get 2 more picks at the end of the 6th and the middle of the 7th because (I guess) there seemed to be multiple players left on their board that they like. And then after the draft they do not even try to bring in additional guys? I know there are some capacities due to COVID this year but why not even try to sign some more players? Atlanta for example has signed 16 guys already. Last year we also only signed 4 or 5 guys. Not sure what the rationale behind that is. I'd at least look for a kicker to compete with Hopkins.

Agreed. It's...weird. I get that UDFAs are long shots. But you should at least bring some people in. As you mentioned, Washington did this in 2020 as well, bringing in only 4 guys, which was by far the lowest in the league. Here's the list from 2020, team by team:

https://www.nfl.com/news/undrafted-rookie-free-agents-team-signings-after-2020-nfl-draft-0ap3000001111648

A few teams did only bring in 7 UDFAs last year, but that's still nearly double Washington's total. And now Washington has gone down to one? The late pick trade suggested the team had a number of guys it liked. So what happened? This team seems to have potential 53 man roster spots available at RB, LB, and TE. Something doesn't seem to add up here. 

The one thing that I'll say is that Atlanta likely hasn't really signed all 16 guys. Often times these get reported at "signings", when some of them are really just tryouts. Of course getting first tryout can be important too.

8 minutes ago, KDawg said:

TE is a tough one too. Have a starter. Have a blocking tight end. Have a project.

If I were an agent I’d be guiding my guys elsewhere. 

RB, yes. Until Patterson arrived. Now it’s Gibson, McKissick, Lamar Miller, Jaret Patterson, Peyton Barber, Jonathan Williams (who has live regular season carries for the Colts in 2019).

I could see us getting later UDFA and regular low end FAs in these spots pretty easily though. Just not priority UDFA. 

CB is a bit of a log jam as well but traditionally that’s a spot where you can make an impact on the back end of a roster. 

I'd disagree about TE.

You have Thomas as the clear starter, a 4th rounder (who'll make the team), and an UDFA project who is no lock to make anything.  Plus, the practice squad usually has a TE slot.  There's a major opportunity here.  

Its similar to when Logan Paulson came here as a UDFA and beat out a 6th rounder for a roster spot.  He had a nice career as a journeyman TE.

CB, after Fuller-Jackson-(our 3rd rounder) is wide open IMO.  Moreland played ok, but he got torched in the playoff game.  Slot corner is a need and we could easily upgrade the backup corners.  Moreland isn't a world-beater, and that 5th CB is wide open even if you think Moreland makes the team.

Just now, mhd24 said:

I'd disagree about TE.

You have Thomas as the clear starter, a 4th rounder (who'll make the team), and an UDFA project who is no lock to make anything.  Plus, the practice squad usually has a TE slot.  There's a major opportunity here.  

Its similar to when Logan Paulson came here as a YDFA and beat out a 6th rounder for a roster spot.  He had a nice career as a journeyman TE.

I have to understand the rules around Reyes better. I’m not sure if he’s protected by the international rules or not because he signed with us directly and not allocated. If he’s not protected, he’s making the team. If he is, very easily is our practice squad guy.

KDawg,  with respect to our current batch of QBs, I think a UDFA QB with confidence in their skills might feel they could out-compete Montez, and maybe outlast Heinicke and Allen (who both have shown they can get injured), for at least the #3 QB.  And Fitzpatrick could be a short-term mentor, before making way for his successor.  I'm not certain the rest of the league feels Washington's QB situation is settled for the next 5 years because of Heinicke and Allen (who are better regarded in the DMV region, than the rest of the country.

And even if it's a no-go for a UDFA QB, there were lots of other spots that might benefit from UDFA competition.  But if you wait too long, the quality of competing candidates goes down.  As for the challenging  logistics of bringing people in, how are the other teams managing?

Anyhow, I hope the reasons for the low UFDA signings are positive ones (WFT pursuing veteran UFAs, or that UDFA s are reluctant to compete against WFTs current roster, etc.)I

BTW, I really like your posts, and as such a long-time contributor to ES threads, you should have the final word in our conversation on this topic.

1 minute ago, Wyvern said:

KDawg,  with respect to our current batch of QBs, I think a UDFA QB with confidence in their skills might feel they could out-compete Montez, and maybe outlast Heinicke and Allen (who both have shown they can get injured), for at least the #3 QB.  And Fitzpatrick could be a short-term mentor, before making way for his successor.  I'm not certain the rest of the league feels Washington's QB situation is settled for the next 5 years because of Heinicke and Allen (who are better regarded in the DMV region, than the rest of the country.

And even if it's a no-go for a UDFA QB, there were lots of other spots that might benefit from UDFA competition.  But if you want too long, the quality of competing candidates goes down.  As for the challenging  logistics of bringing people in, how are the other teams managing?

Anyhow, I hope the reasons for the low UFDA signings are positive ones (WFT pursuing veteran UFAs, or that UDFA s are reluctant to compete against WFTs current roster, etc.)I

BTW, I really like your posts, and as such a long-time contributor to ES threads, you should have the final word in our conversation on this topic.

Nah man. You make good points. And you’re not wrong. But I think there’s probably more to it than we’re seeing.

Us having signed one guy stands out like a sore thumb. 

I don’t need the last word brother. Just having a convo and trying to paint the whole picture here. Your take makes sense.

The other thing that surprises me with some UDFAs is where they sign.  They'll sign places that are stacked at their position. When I look at the roster, here's what I see position by position for UDFAs

QB: There's no real shot at the 53 and any UDFA will be no higher than 4th on the pecking order. So that's a tough sell, although the same sell most other teams would be offering. But there's a very real chance none of the current QBs are even on the roster in two years. So there's also viable room for grow here. For a UDFA I'd think Washington would be middle of the road at QB. Not the best, not the worst.

RB: There's really only two locks to make the 53 with McKissic and Gibson. So there's probably 2 spots up for grabs. I know the coaching staff has a hard on for Barber, so he'll probably be around for years as the guy you always hope gets replaced with someone better and never does. But still, there's one more spot and right now the best options are the decaying corpse of Lamar Miller and some guy that's been cut about 8 times in the last few years. This is a prime landing spot for an UDFA RB.

WR: Not sure about quality, but there's plenty of quantity. I think any UDFA has a really hard time here. I'd say Washington is a terrible spot for a UDFA WR.

TE: There's Logan Thomas. And there's Logan Thomas. And there's Logan Thomas. I'm sure John Bates makes the roster as a 4th round pick, even though many feel Washington reached for him. But that's still just two bodies. After that you're really just fighting with the same guys bouncing around the fringes of the league. I'd love Sammis Reyes to become something, but dude was basically just hoping for a roster invite through the NFL's International Player Pathway Program a month ago and now people act like he's going to make the 53? It could happen, but there's guys like this every year that amount to nothing. So while Reyes might be useful, there's almost nothing proven here. A prime landing spot for a UDFA TE.

OL: Like WR, there's tons of quantity here. A very poor spot for any UDFA.

DL: UDFAs should just stay away. It's loaded here (probably in part why the team drafted some edge guys. Likely didn't think they'd otherwise want to come).

LB: So there's Holcomb and Bostic. And now Davis. And Hudson was a fifth round pick a year ago who barely played. And Mayo was signed for peanuts. And I guess Josh Harvey-Clemons is back. But man, there's maybe 3 real locks to make the roster. Four if I count Hudson, though not sure i should. But at least 6 LBs make the Final 53 and the competition isn't particularly fierce. A prime landing spot for an UDFA LB.

CB: Making the 53 will be hard after drafting Benjamin St-Juste, but depth here is not great, so there are possibilities to carve out a role, even if its more for a practice squad spot. A middle of the road landing spot.

S: Much like CB. Making the 53 will be difficult, but there's depth possibilities. A middle of the road landing spot.

I don't understand the mentality of giving up future capital for a long snapper and a 7th round pick and then basically ignoring the undrafted free agents but then again I don't have 40 years experience in the NFL so I trust Ron's plan.

Also can't figure out why we released our long snapper before the draft sending out a message that we needed one.

Very well could be the reason we had one go just before our pick.

@Jericho Right there with you - decent opportunity here for a corner, LB, TE, RB, and I’ll add kicker.  From the team’s perspective, I’m not sure why they wouldn’t want a touch more competition at those spots.  Maybe they’re just content to wait for tryouts.

@Skinsinparadise I’m very intrigued by Patterson - love his play style.  I’m definitely worried about pass pro and receiving skills though, but that’s at least in part because I don’t have any info on it.  I would think he could be (become) a weapon as a receiver, but as I said, I have no idea.  He reminds me of someone who came out not too long ago... maybe Devin Singletary?  Doesn’t have quite the juice/contact balance of course - a lite version to be sure.

Archived