Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to Washington Jamin Davis LB Kentucky

PCS

Not a reach. 

Look at the measurables.

Super excited.

He and Holcomb can be a stellar pair. Defense is going to be hard to beat this season. Legit top defense in the NFL. 

How can you not trust the resumes of RR and Del Rio when it comes to LB play?

• Like 6

4 hours ago, 50yrSKINSfan said:

Not thrilled with this pick. Sure the guy is a good athlete but he was not rated in the top 20 or even the top 40. Why do we need a project at 19? How many O linemen did we pass on to get him? Every team that needed a QB got one except us. I'm confused.

Jamin Davis had plenty of hype.  He was ranked high in most mock drafts.    Daniel Jeremiah practically worshipped him.

i picked him in TK's contest before the draft as to who we would pick.  I talked about Jamin a lot weeks ago then left it mostly alone after that.  But my gut was he was a strong possibility. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31341281/2021-nfl-draft-rankings-top-150-prospects-best-500-position-mel-kiper-new-big-board

2021 NFL draft rankings: Top 150 prospects, best 500 by position in Mel Kiper's new Big Board

19. Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky

HT: 6-3 | WT: 234 | Highlights

Davis is really only a one-year starter -- he started a single game in 2019 -- but he was a force as an off-ball linebacker for the Wildcats last season. He's physical and tough, and he has some coverage skills.

Stat to know: Davis' tackling percentage (95%) last season was the highest of any SEC player with at least 50 tackles.

Best playmaking LB: Jamin Davis, Kentucky

Davis started for just one season in college, but when we look at his athletic traits and the splash plays he put on tape, the arrow is pointing up for the Kentucky linebacker. With his long frame and great closing speed, Davis has playmaking upside in coverage and as a schemed blitzer. In 2020, Davis compiled 96 tackles, three interceptions, a sack, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery. And he took one of his interceptions 85 yards to the house (against Tennessee).

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2021/insider/story/_/id/31303671/the-2021-nfl-draft-class-best-everything-biggest-arm-top-route-runner-best-cover-corner-more

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

25 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Never has a win or lose been more obvious than in our playoff loss. The only reason we didn't win, was because of the play of the linebackers imo. Such an obvious need.

Fournette who was thought of washed up at that time looked like Walter Payton because of our LBs.  

My mantra about Jamin Davis on the draft thread was sideline to slide speed/open field tackling.  IMO he's the best LB on this front in the draft including better on those specific variables than Parsons.  

I showed some clips on the draft thread about how the defense was sliced on the edges and said Jamin is the perfect guy to stop that.

He wasn't my top guy at 19 but he was on my list of players I'd be cool with it.  But I like him now even more because Del Rio and Rivera know that LB spot better than any spot I'd gather.  So if they love him, that's enough for me. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I know Ron talked about position flex w/ Jamin. Do Holcomb and Hudson play similar or different spots? Could Davis-Holcomb-Hudson all be on the field at the same time?

Holcomb plays mostly strongside LB and Hudson weakside.   Yeah they can be all on the field at the same time IMO.  Holcomb could play Mike so could Jamin and OLB.

It wouldn't shock me though if it stays the way it is now:  Holcomb SLB, Bostic Mike, Davis WLB.

Also wouldn't shock me if they draft another linebacker in the next day or two.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Silvernon said:

Not a reach. 

Look at the measurables.

Super excited.

He and Holcomb can be a stellar pair. Defense is going to be hard to beat this season. Legit top defense in the NFL. 

I don't think he was necessarily a reach any more than Montez Sweat was a reach. Like Sweat, Davis is a freak athlete with tons of upside. However, like with Sweat we're probably going to need to have a bit of patience with Davis, as they're both somewhat raw in technique. 

His tape is impressive but with his limited starting experience he's still somewhat raw and while he clearly has plenty of football smarts he still needs to refine how he reads and reacts to plays at times. 

I think his upper limit is through the roof though. 

But I'm sure in game day threads as soon as he misses a tackle some people will be screaming "BUST! CUT HIM!".  :ols:

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Holcomb plays mostly strongside LB and Hudson weakside.   Yeah they can be all on the field at the same time IMO.  Holcomb could play Mike so could Jamin and OLB.

It wouldn't shock me though if it stays the way it is now:  Holcomb SLB, Bostic Mike, Davis WLB.

Also wouldn't shock me if they draft another linebacker in the next day or two.

Is the thinking here that Jamin's speed makes him a good fit at Will and Holcomb's downhill ability lends itself better to a Sam role?

Also I forgot we had Bostic. Thought we lost him along with KPL.

Seems like Jamin also has some similarities to another Davis in Thomas Davis, who played both OLB spots in his career. 

Thank God Ron Rivera is our head coach and that mr. Snyder has finally decided to step aside I'm sorry but I have a feeling if it would have been anyone else really we would have been forced into that trade for a QB

2 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Is your avatar a screaming booger?

Its mikey from monsters inc.....??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Silvernon said:

When Jamin Davis was drafted, I picture both Rivera and JDR,, both former linebackers, grunting like Tim the Tool Man, when he sees a sexy tool.

"Linebacker. Gmmm. Ggggg. Agggg. Aggggg. Me like Linebacker. Ggggrrrrr. "

Tim Allen Power Tool GIF

• Haha 6

45 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Is the thinking here that Jamin's speed makes him a good fit at Will and Holcomb's downhill ability lends itself better to a Sam role?

Seems like Jamin also has some similarities to another Davis in Thomas Davis, who played both OLB spots in his career. 

If only. Dude was pretty awful. Had a 57.6 coverage grade from PFF and a 43.9 run defense grade. I can't count the number of times when watching games last year I practically screamed "WTF was Bostic doing on that TD???"

As far as Holcomb, he was actually graded higher in coverage than against the run last season (though his run defense grade wasn't bad...73 coverage, 65.2 run). I think he and Davis could both play Sam and Will (and probably Mike when in a base package), though I'd probably trust Davis more to cover slot receivers and faster TEs because of his speed.

I think this is what RR was talking about when he stressed versatility. With Davis out there we could definitely mix it up and have lots of packages with the LBs we have, especially if Hudson takes that next step. That would include base as well as 4-2 nickel.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

If only. Dude was pretty awful. Had a 57.6 coverage grade from PFF and a 43.9 run defense grade. I can't count the number of times when watching games last year I practically screamed "WTF was Bostic doing on that TD???"

As far as Holcomb, he was actually graded higher in coverage than against the run last season (though his run defense grade wasn't bad...73 coverage, 65.2 run). I think he and Davis could both play Sam and Will (and probably Mike when in a base package), though I'd probably trust Davis more to cover slot receivers and faster TEs because of his speed.

I think this is what RR was talking about when he stressed versatility. With Davis out there we could definitely mix it up and have lots of packages with the LBs we have, especially if Hudson takes that next step. That would include base as well as 4-2 nickel.

We play Nickel so much these days with offenses as pass-happy as they are that the versatility and ability to cover are huge.

Takes a lot for an LB to be an every-down player this day and age and you gotta put a premium on that IMO. Especially for a 1st rounder... after all, who cares if you're an amazing LB if you have to sub out on 40% of defensive snaps?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CapsSkins said:

Yep. As for your first statement.  As for Bostic, I've heard that he played better later in the season and he's a good locker room guy but I'd bet they'd be happy to replace.

• Like 1