Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Election 2022 (Dems in charge of Senate. Reps take the House. Herschel Walker headed back home to ignore his children )

Cooked Crack

Have you voted yet?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Have you voted yet?

• By mail
    • Early voting
    • Not yet
    • can't vote/not voting

1 hour ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Say the GOP holds the majority in the House by a slim margin, how many people on the GOP side are moderate enough to go along with any Dem bills?

Can the House start voting on things now they want to get passed next year knowing they won't have control so that the Senate can vote on it come February once they have a 51/49 majority if Warnock wins?

Yes.  The Dem House can pass stuff, but the GOP still can block anything in the Senate.  I am thinking about government funding bills.  I hope they fund government through September during the lame duck.  Also, the Daylight Savings bill. 

Maybe this will allow some moderate Rs room to move back to middle...

2 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

This is a highly disappointing election for my side.   With the exception of DeSantis.   I mostly blame Trump for this.   Masters, Walker, Oz and the New Hampshire guy were disasters.

Poor u.

When u embrace the crazy that’s what u get.

If the Dems manage to retain the house; that even further solidifies how crazy the gop is. Embracing crazy candidates and go to the extreme on issues. 

Overturning Roe v Wade not a good thing for the gop.

Of course the biggie is embracing Trump as the 24 nominee .

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

Say the GOP holds the majority in the House by a slim margin, how many people on the GOP side are moderate enough to go along with any Dem bills?

Can the House start voting on things now they want to get passed next year knowing they won't have control so that the Senate can vote on it come February once they have a 51/49 majority if Warnock wins?

There are no moderates in the House. Think they’ve been purged. 

If the gop wins the House; nothing but nonstop investigations. Impeachments. Government shutdowns.  The gop house will not go along with anything the Dems pass.  There’s enough Freedom Caucus/ Maga members to stimie any deal with Dems. The gop speaker will not bring up anything that can’t pass with gop votes only.

There will be a lame duck session.

You know, If Dems win the 1/6 commission doesn’t have to disband.

3 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

This is a highly disappointing election for my side.   With the exception of DeSantis.   I mostly blame Trump for this.   Masters, Walker, Oz and the New Hampshire guy were disasters.

You seen his behavior since Tuesday?

If Trump wins the GOP nomination, will you vote for him in the general?

3 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Im glad you are disappointed. Your anguish sustains me. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

7 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

Why Trump and not the voters who chose these guys? Republican voters have no agency?

• Thumb up 2

8 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

I'd say zero. 

Last time a Republican voted with the Dems, on a vote where his vote made a difference?  I think it was John McCain. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Larry said:

I'd say zero. 

Last time a Republican voted with the Dems, on a vote where his vote made a difference?  I think it was John McCain. 

Even the optimisit in me is leaning to where you are.

The Infrastructure Bill got plenty of moderates in the Senate from the GOP to pass easily, only 2 Republicans in the house voted for it.

Having said that, couple things in play here going forward: Senate needed more then majority rule to pass that bill, House didn't need anyone from GOP to pass it.  I expect party line votes when there's no threat for backlash killing a bill like that that even McConnel approved of.

There's no garunteee McCarthy can herd his cats given how many of them are already talking **** about him. HFC wants what they want regardless, folks still hitched to Trumps wagon and base for re-election vs those who are saying outloud theyd have more power if they unhitch is turning into a mini-big tent problem for them right before our eyes.

It will be interesting watching him squirm to make everyone in his chamber happy while McConnell tells Schumer who to pick off in razor thin votes.  A say 219-217 GOP house make-up isn't that terrifying in that context, imo.  

7 hours ago, visionary said:

From what I’ve been seeing, Republican officials seem to have gone from blaming Trump, to blaming McConnell the last couple of days. Or maybe it’s just different people speaking up.

They wan't to take his leadership position, but they will fail:

Top Senate Republicans push forward amid calls to delay leadership elections

Senate GOP leaders are pushing forward with plans to hold leadership elections next week, even as a growing number of Republicans demand a delay after an underwhelming performance in the midterms.

Sens. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rick Scott (R-Fla.) are circulating a letter pressing colleagues to sign onto a postponement of elections currently scheduled for Wednesday morning. The movement signals growing discontent within the Senate GOP over the increased likelihood the party remains in the minority next year and presents a new headache for Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

“We are all disappointed that a Red Wave failed to materialize, and there are multiple reasons it did not,” the senators say in the letter, first obtained by POLITICO. “We need to have serious discussions within our conference as to why and what we can do to improve our chances in 2024.”

As McConnell seeks to break former Sen. Mike Mansfield’s (D-Mont.) mark as longest serving party leader, he’s facing fresh questions from at least a half-dozen Republicans that will serve in the Senate next year. The Kentuckian has always won with the full support of his conference, often by acclamation.

But the election may be different this time. In addition to the trio circulating the letter, Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.), Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) also want to delay the elections. Hawley says he will vote against McConnell as leader, and Senator-elect Eric Schmitt (R-Mo.) has said the Senate GOP needs new leadership.

GOP leaders are sticking to their schedule, however. Senate Republican Conference Chair John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) wrote all GOP senators on Friday afternoon to tell them he supports a “robust” discussion about the GOP agenda. Nevertheless, he said the party will hold its leadership elections on Wednesday as planned and said the Senate GOP should have a discussion on Tuesday at its first post-election party lunch “so every senator has a chance to be heard.”

Click on the link for the full article

2 minutes ago, China said:

Nevertheless, he said the party will hold its leadership elections on Wednesday as planned and said the Senate GOP should have a discussion on Tuesday at its first post-election party lunch “so every senator has a chance to be heard.”

🍿

9 hours ago, FLSkinz83 said:

As long as your side puts Fascists and white supremists up for election and skewing districts, I'd say it's going to be highly disappointing for you for years to come.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 6

11 minutes ago, China said:

They wan't to take his leadership position, but they will fail:

Top Senate Republicans push forward amid calls to delay leadership elections

Senate GOP leaders are pushing forward with plans to hold leadership elections next week, even as a growing number of Republicans demand a delay after an underwhelming performance in the midterms.

Sens. Ron Johnson (R-Wis.), Mike Lee (R-Utah) and Rick Scott (R-Fla.) are circulating a letter pressing colleagues to sign onto a postponement of elections currently scheduled for Wednesday morning. The movement signals growing discontent within the Senate GOP over the increased likelihood the party remains in the minority next year and presents a new headache for Minority Leader Mitch McConnell.

“We are all disappointed that a Red Wave failed to materialize, and there are multiple reasons it did not,” the senators say in the letter, first obtained by POLITICO. “We need to have serious discussions within our conference as to why and what we can do to improve our chances in 2024.”

As McConnell seeks to break former Sen. Mike Mansfield’s (D-Mont.) mark as longest serving party leader, he’s facing fresh questions from at least a half-dozen Republicans that will serve in the Senate next year. The Kentuckian has always won with the full support of his conference, often by acclamation.

But the election may be different this time. In addition to the trio circulating the letter, Sens. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), Cynthia Lummis (R-Wyo.), Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) and Josh Hawley (R-Mo.) also want to delay the elections. Hawley says he will vote against McConnell as leader, and Senator-elect Eric Schmitt (R-Mo.) has said the Senate GOP needs new leadership.

GOP leaders are sticking to their schedule, however. Senate Republican Conference Chair John Barrasso (R-Wyo.) wrote all GOP senators on Friday afternoon to tell them he supports a “robust” discussion about the GOP agenda. Nevertheless, he said the party will hold its leadership elections on Wednesday as planned and said the Senate GOP should have a discussion on Tuesday at its first post-election party lunch “so every senator has a chance to be heard.”

Will Hawley, Cruz, et al deny this election as well?

@Renegade7

They do pass 70 to 80% of non-controversial items.  It's the 20 to 30% that will be difficult.  

A split House means McCarthy-Pelosi-Mconnell-Schumer negotiating on everything.  Past 2 years, McCarthy could be bypassed, so it was mainly McConnell-Schumer.  

Trump is going to egg on the 180+ Trumpy Reps.... they have not had legislative power since the 2018 elections. 

• Thumb up 2

On 11/9/2022 at 8:27 AM, tshile said:

It looks like dems outperformed expectations. That’s a win. I’m just not sure it’s the win some are making it out to be. 

if they got high youth turnout that, to me, would be the biggest win of the night for them because it starts to become a trend and a significant change there would be a huge deal. 

The 2022 midterms were swept by a youth wave that isn’t pulling back

The “red wave” political pundits have been predicting for months failed to materialize this past Tuesday. But what happened was not a “blue wave” either — rather, the 2022 election should be categorized as a “youth wave,” with near-historic numbers of young people turning out to vote, motivated not by party, but by the issues impacting them. 

Early data from the Center for Information and Research on Civic Learning and Engagement at Tufts (CIRCLE) suggests that 27 percent of people ages 18-29 cast a ballot in 2022, marking the second-highest youth turnout in a midterm election in the past three decades. In critical states where razor-thin margins are ultimately determining control of local, state and federal legislatures, including Florida, Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, New Hampshire, Nevada, Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin, CIRCLE found that youth turnout was even higher, at 31 percent. 

Gen Z, alongside millennials, is on its way to becoming part of the largest voting bloc, and what we are seeing from Tuesday’s election is that they are approaching elections and politics in their own way. They care about issues more than candidates and even parties, and they are ready and willing to ask the tough questions of those in power. 

A slim majority R House that's focused on revenge and not get anything done won't help them in 2024. Given the post above about the increase of youth voters that care about issues, the GQP is really in decline. Plus their consistent putting Fascists and white supremists and Christian Nationalists who are determined to turn the country into Gilead from the Handmaid's Tale for females are dooming them to defeat. 

• Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, hail2skins said:

You seen his behavior since Tuesday?

If Trump wins the GOP nomination, will you vote for him in the general?

Don't make me answer that. Haha.    I'm confident DeSantis will be the nominee if we don't have 10+ people in the primary.

• Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

@Renegade7

They do pass 70 to 80% of non-controversial items.  It's the 20 to 30% that will be difficult.  

This is an excellent point that I intentionally left out because pretty much never include the larger bills we need to address the very serious issues in this country that imagine is the heart of this conversation (like Election Bills or Public Option).

A split House means McCarthy-Pelosi-Mconnell-Schumer negotiating on everything.  Past 2 years, McCarthy could be bypassed, so it was mainly McConnell-Schumer.  

To an extent I agree, I'm jus not envisioning the same level of "get in line" for House Republicans as we have in the past, When's the last time they had razor thin house control for context?

Trump is going to egg on the 180+ Trumpy Reps.... they have not had legislative power since the 2018 elections. 

He has so much ego, can see him talkin **** muffled while they pour dirt on his casket.

Edited by Renegade7

7 hours ago, visionary said:

From what I’ve been seeing, Republican officials seem to have gone from blaming Trump, to blaming McConnell the last couple of days. Or maybe it’s just different people speaking up.

The knives were coming out for McConnell no matter what. There are a lot of super ambitious Senators that want to use SML as a launchpad for a POTUS run. I am ALL for it. McConnell is the single most savvy and ruthless leader on the GOP side, it would be awesome if he got sidelined. 

• Like 4