Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

I'm still disappointed that we franchised Sherff, and also that we didn't trade him. I would have been more than happy to go into the season with 

Moses 

Schweitzer 

Roullier 

Flowers 

Leno 

as our starting OL. 

And had extra 18m in cap space. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, Silvernon said:

They are close to that one more piece now though. 

A top QB would put this team as a SB contender. Heck this defense alone could get them to the championship game. 

I really really like the Defense but they’re going to have to prove dominance for an entire season before I can say that about getting them to the championship game.

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

I'm still disappointed that we franchised Sherff, and also that we didn't trade him.

Yeah, I'm not quite understanding the logic of paying a guard $18M for one season, of whom appears to not be long for the organization.  I actually think he's a better player than a lot of folks here, but its a lot of money for a rental.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, -JB- said:

I really really like the Defense but they’re going to have to prove dominance for an entire season before I can say that about getting them to the championship game.

Agreed.  I love the personnel and think they have a ton of potential but really, what good offense did they shut down last year?  Pittsburgh I guess but they had already begun to unravel.  They feasted on back up QB’s and poor O lines.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Yeah, I'm not quite understanding the logic of paying a guard $18M for one season, of whom appears to not be long for the organization.  I actually think he's a better player than a lot of folks here, but its a lot of money for a rental.

The only thing I can think of is during the season, they may be able to leverage a little more because of injuries. 

31 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Its paying a known elite commodity great money for one season. Last year it worked for both sides, hopefully this year provides similar results. One could argue the combination of Scherff and Moses on the right side were most valuable to the team last year.

Also, getting elite play while developing other guys is a critical factor, if Washington lets Scherff go and in house they develop a guy on a rookie deal who produces for the next few years, how does one calculate the overall money allocated to Scherff? What if next year his spot is filled with a guy provided ample time to develop and prove his worth to the organization behind the scenes at 1-3mil. The FO has stockpiled the OLINE with talent, but it took 2 off seasons to do so, let’s see what takes place.

My gut says Moses and Scherff may be gone if other younger and cheaper guys prove to be ready to take over in the FOs view. Imagine the cap flexibility if Charles and Cosmi prove to be ready to step in as starters after this season. The keeping Sweat and Young during their prime together becomes more realistic. 

In my view, it’s okay to overpay elite talent 2-4 mil from time to time. Securing prime years without a long term commitment isn’t all bad for a team. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, -JB- said:

Every single time Washington signs a high priced free agent it doesn’t work.  Because every single time they do it is when they’re not just one piece away from greatness.  Not even close.  I’m very happy with this current approach.

Looking at our roster, the only two holes that I can see is SAM and FS. 

We're two players away from a complete team, with legit starters at every position. 

If you consider that We're mostly in a 425 alignment and Davis and Holcomb are the starters, then FS is the only hole.

We are one player away.

I've always hated that phrase, because you can easily nitpick every position up and down the roster.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

I honestly have no idea what we can realistically expect from this guy, but I'll damn sure be pulling for him!

If he does well, does that put her in position to be a coaching intern?  She probably is learning a lot as well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, wit33 said:

In my view, it’s okay to overpay elite talent 2-4 mil from time to time. Securing prime years without a long term commitment isn’t all bad for a team. 

In the words of Jay Gruden, he's a "guaarrrrd".

I'm not diminishing the guard position, I know it's become more prevalent to the game today, but if you're not a QB, left tackle, pass rusher, or lynchpin MLB - I'm not really keen on it.

It is what it is, I don't dislike Scherff and like I said - my opinion on his play is better than what I see from a lot of folks around here.  I just think 18M in cap space seems better given where we are with him.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 3

It should be fun watching Reyes grow, I thought what the coaching staff did with Logan Thomas last year was pretty special. It might take him an entire season, he might never fully get it, but I like the raw potential that he has and he seems to really want this. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

In the words of Jay Gruden, he's a "guaarrrrd".

I'm not diminishing the guard position, I know it's become more prevalent to the game today, but if you're not a QB, pass rusher, or lynchpin MLB - I'm not really keen on it.

It is what it is, I don't dislike Scherff and like I said - my opinion on his play is better than what I see from a lot of folks around here.  I just think 18M in cap space seems better given where we are with him.

Team is starved for elite talent. Keep those dudes for as long as possible or until a replacement is found.  18 is a lot, but for the current status of the team it’s not a big deal. Keeping that right side intact projects to have tremendous value as it did last year. My guess is one or both are gone next year (Moses and Scherff). 

5 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

little more urgency to his cuts.

You saw a cut? All I saw was a turn both before and after the catch. To be expected of course, dude is working with a base of absolute nothing. He is a multi-year project after all.

On the promising side, I didn't know what to make of his hands before this, but if he can reach out beyond his body to make catches like he did in the above clip, he should be able to make use of his large frame to reach balls defenders can't. I hoped he had this ability, but didn't have any real reference to know for sure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RWJ said:

Special person and hopefully becomes a special player for us.  Determined!

Mr. Reyes or future Mrs. Reyes?  Maybe she'll become TE quality control coach, making sure the "King" (rey = king) doesn't slack off back at the castillo.

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

You saw a cut? All I saw was a turn both before and after the catch. To be expected of course, dude is working with a base of absolute nothing. He is a multi-year project after all.

On the promising side, I didn't know what to make of his hands before this, but if he can reach out beyond his body to make catches like he did in the above clip, he should be able to make use of his large frame to reach balls defenders can't. I hoped he had this ability, but didn't have any real reference to know for sure.

Whos out there throwing to him?

15 hours ago, TheShredder said:

Gotcha covered.

giphy.gif

I've seen "Cool Hand Luke" at least 10 to 15 times (top 10 film for me) but until I saw this gif of MY Lucille I never completely appreciated old Dragline's famous quote...

Dragline: Hey Lord, whatever I done, don't strike me blind for another couple of minutes. My Lucille!... That's Lucille, you mother-head. Anything so innocent and built like that just gotta be named Lucille.

• Like 3