Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

5 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Humphries has been used sparingly but has been clutch when he's on the field so far this season.

~~

Is that the key to his decline and the answer to a resurgence?  Thoughts?

If true, wouldn't putting him at MLB push Jamin down the depth chart again? Jamin isn't awesome, but I'd rather he take his lumps now than later.

31 minutes ago, Florgon79 said:

I'm not saying it's the only winning formula, but it certainly seems to be a good one and one that could allow you to add a good FA after a quarter of the season.

My point is it's only a winning formula for Brady, because of those things I mentioned about what he already has at home.  But that's not the only thing that makes his scenario unique.  I'm not sure what goes into his relationship with the top brass, both in NE and in Tampa.  But I've got to imagine he had at minimum a very strong belief in the Pats organization, that they were going to take those savings from his contract and put a SB contending team around him with it.  In Tampa, I'm 100% certain that they are doing whatever they can to bend over backwards to appease his wants, and rightfully so - he's earned that.

But not every guy gets that.  Look at Aaron Rodgers for example, widely thought of as an all-time great at the position.  The FO rarely seeks his opinion on anything.  Why would a guy like that trust the top brass to the extent he's going to take less money, in hopes they put a contending team around him.  The same can be said for literally every other QB, not named Tom Brady.  

Taking a lower salary to contend sounds like a great idea.  However, you would really need a boatload of trust in your GM/ownership to take less money in hopes they do the right thing with the money you are saving them.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

10 minutes ago, 757SeanTaylor21 said:

If we were to get gilmore. You take Gilmore juste and Jackson all press man coverage. Fuller high safety to play his zone and bring curl as rover safety/man on te. Jamin and Collins as lbs.

4 lineman 3 cbs 2/3 lbs 1/2 safeties

He ain't coming here.

10 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

If true, wouldn't putting him at MLB push Jamin down the depth chart again? Jamin isn't awesome, but I'd rather he take his lumps now than later.

Is MLB Davis' best natural position?  I honestly don't know. Seems he's got the tools to play either of the outside LB positions too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dan T. said:

Is MLB Davis' best natural position?  I honestly don't know. Seems he's got the tools to play either of the outside LB positions too.

I don't know either. He wasn't one at Kentucky, he was moved there by us and he's been learning on the go. That being said, and I think Smiths knee is done and that is why he is getting released.

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

My point is it's only a winning formula for Brady, because of those things I mentioned about what he already has at home.  But that's not the only thing that makes his scenario unique.  I'm not sure what goes into his relationship with the top brass, both in NE and in Tampa.  But I've got to imagine he had at minimum a very strong belief in the Pats organization, that they were going to take those savings from his contract and put a SB contending team around him with it.  In Tampa, I'm 100% certain that they are doing whatever they can to bend over backwards to appease his wants, and rightfully so - he's earned that.

But not every guy gets that.  Look at Aaron Rodgers for example, widely thought of as an all-time great at the position.  The FO rarely seeks his opinion on anything.  Why would a guy like that trust the top brass to the extent he's going to take less money, in hopes they put a contending team around him.  The same can be said for literally every other QB, not named Tom Brady.  

Taking a lower salary to contend sounds like a great idea.  However, you would really need a boatload of trust in your GM/ownership to take less money in hopes they do the right thing with the money you are saving them.

I don’t disagree about the GM stuff necessarily. What I absolutely disagree with is that somehow Brady having more net worth because of who his wife is gives him so much more leeway. To me, and I’m just speaking personally, if you told me I could make 10 mil a year and be the goat, or make 30 mil a year and be Kirk Cousins I’ll take 10 mil and 6 Super Bowls. I could retire today on 10 mil. 

Also, we don't know if this is only a winning formula for Brady, I can't think of any modern QB that has attempted this. I do know that since they capped rookie contracts in 2011 the majority of superbowls featured a QB on a rookie contract and or Tom Brady. This is why teams are so desperate to get it done while the QB is on that contract and they can still pay top dollar for Oline, Defense and skill positions. Last year the story line was the the Chiefs couldn't keep their Oline together, before that it was the Russel Wilson lost his defense because of his contract. People say the same things about Cousins and Minnesota. 

SB Teams w/QB on Rookie Contract since 2011

YEAR AFC TEAM NFC TEAM
2011 Patriots Giants
2012 Ravens 49ers
2013 Broncos Seahawks
2014 Patriots Seahawks
2015 Broncos Panthers
2016 Patriots Falcons
2017 Patriots Eagles
2018 Patriots Rams
2019 Chiefs 49ers
KEY    
Winner    
Team with QB    
on rookie contract  
Edited by Florgon79
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

We are paying over 10 million a year for Fuller and ditto Jackson.  If Gilmore is asking for 15 million it's out of our range, I don't think you can have 3 corners making over 10 million.

This is true below.  You get so little draft capital for players with rare exceptions which are usually QBs.  Over the years, we can can debate getting a first round pick for Kerrigan in the twilight of his career and all the other machinations but they are typically unrealistic.   Heck Calais Campbell years back only fetched a 5th rounder. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Well, he's essentially on a 1 year rental to Carolina so pick comp makes sense.  I think it was noted a while back that RR usually doesn't like paying a ton to CB's.  I mean he let Norman walk.

He’s paying enough to one he just picked up this off-season.

3 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Dunno but seems like not a lot of teams this time of year that could easier afford Gilmore without some maneuvering.

BTW - GMFB is talking about why put the word out on Gilmore now and suggesting Pats would do that to see if they could generate enough interest to actually trade him instead.

image.png.6ac5790c8abe667705e5a99c053b6395.png

Damn. The dolphins are terrible AND broke? I guess things could always be worse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Contract length is also how the QB works with the team. The recent trend of last 7-10 years has been the QB taking shorter contracts and leveraging their situation. Then there’s Kirk Cousins who took it to another level, but no one has seemed to follow in his footsteps.

Josh Allen and Mahomes both prioritized providing their franchises flexibility with roster by not maximizing their earning potential with short term deals. 

32 minutes ago, SemperFi Skins said:

Rivera left and Panthers got much better. I was one of the ones that wanted Darnold because just like Tannehill, he was a product of Adam Gase Disease.

Yeah people scoffed at the idea, just like the scoffed at keeping cousins...

2 minutes ago, wit33 said:

Contract length is also how the QB works with the team. The recent trend of last 7-10 years has been the QB taking shorter contracts and leveraging their situation. Then there’s Kirk Cousins who took it to another level, but no one has seemed to follow in his footsteps.

Josh Allen and Mahomes both prioritized providing their franchises flexibility with roster by not maximizing their earning potential with short term deals. 

Had we offered 18-22 million (Very reasonable imo) to cousins back in 2016 he would have taken it on a long term deal imo..he played cards and won can't blame him there, now we've had like 10 QBs since him wasted a first round pick on one etc etc etc...