Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES 2021 Free Agency Thread / Tracker Fitzpatrick, Curtis Samuel, William Jackson, LB Mayo, C Larsen WR Humphries, CB D. Roberts, KR D. Carter , LT Charles Leno, S Bobby McCain signed

Riggo-toni

11 minutes ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's gonna feel so much easier this year, compared to last year.

Last year, he was in his first year, trying to settle in, he had holdouts, the name change, the FO scandals and shake-ups, the covld, the cancer, the drama and uncertainty and injuries with all the QB's, and more.

And still won the division.

This year he has none of that.

Does he even have any such major obstacles now, or expected to happen this year ?

It's gonna feel like a cakewalk compared to last year. I've never walked on a cake, but I hear it's super easy, and super sweet.

He also sent Danny on a round the world trip to go scout stadiums.  Keep your friends close, your enemies distracted in LA and Europe I always say. 

• Haha 8

For everybody who was freaking out about letting Moses go, and I've heard so many different theories, it's unreal, I think it's really simple:

Moses was an average player, they were around him for a year, they believe they have either the same or better players for less cost, and there's no real benefit to keeping him around.

The sheer volume of posts I had defending Moses with the lines, "well, he really isn't that bad, he's average, we could do worse" and "I can't believe he doesn't get called for MORE false starts!" (after a 2 false start game) could stun a stampeding herd of rhino dead in their tracks.

Moses was fine.  He was durable, he was ok.  He wasn't great.  He wasn't a pro-bowler.  He was fine.  

Now he's gone.  I'm fine with that.  I wish him well.  But I'm not that plussed about it one way or the other.  You SHOULD be able to find another Morgan Moses.  

The other thing this does is it frees up reps for the other guys in mini-camp and training camp.  And that's important.  Dumping Christian at the same time does the same thing. They just had altogether too many OLmen.  It would have been impossible to give all of them appropriate work. Now they have cut a few guys it's more manageable.

Now, they need to be right about this.  If Cosmi stinks, and they can't block anybody, eh, that's going to be a problem, and they'll have to own it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Riggo'sRangers said:

Please don't step away long.  Love your posts & intellect personally.  Tater is just being...Tater.  You do not seem sad to me at all, but rather insightful.  Enough said, carry on all!  Btw, I miss putting "Hail" at the end of my posts.  I hope I/we can come up with something for the WFT in short order. :)

I second this opinion TWW. Please do not tap out. You are definitely one of my favorite posters and I learn a lot from you. Need you now more than ever on here during the down time between team activities. 

Keep posting. Hail🙃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Malapropismic Depository said:

It's gonna feel so much easier this year, compared to last year.

Last year, he was in his first year, trying to settle in, he had holdouts, the name change, the FO scandals and shake-ups, the covld, the cancer, the drama and uncertainty and injuries with all the QB's, and more.

And still won the division.

This year he has none of that.

Does he even have any such major obstacles now, or expected to happen this year ?

It's gonna feel like a cakewalk compared to last year. I've never walked on a cake, but I hear it's super easy, and super sweet.

Everybody wins in a cake walk....you dont actually walk on cake :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You have to make tough decisions when it comes time to pay core players.  You see it all over the league.  You have to extend Jonathan Allen.  You have to create cap space.  You have added depth along the OL so you can absorb the loss of a veteran guy like Moses.  Only so much $$ to go around.  

19 minutes ago, -JB- said:

You have to make tough decisions when it comes time to pay core players.  You see it all over the league.  You have to extend Jonathan Allen.  You have to create cap space.  You have added depth along the OL so you can absorb the loss of a veteran guy like Moses.  Only so much $$ to go around.  

The thing is looking at the cap situation it sure wouldn’t appear like we HAD to do this to extend Allen. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good decision for the team’s financial future in general, but this wasn’t really a situation of us being cap strapped currently. 

6 minutes ago, terpfan said:

The thing is looking at the cap situation it sure wouldn’t appear like we HAD to do this to extend Allen. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t a good decision for the team’s financial future in general, but this wasn’t really a situation of us being cap strapped currently. 

Well, not only Allen but also other players that will need extended coupled with the fact that saving over 7 million seems like an easy decision for a player of Morgan’s talent and also with other players signed who can fill his void on the cheap with no drop off in play.

6 hours ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

I really don't know what to say then.

I am stunned.

I don't think I've ever done anything to offend you and I certainly meant no harm if you did take offense to something I said.

I think I'll step away for awhile.

Step away for what? You’re fine. Stay here. We need sane humans posting like yourself or this thing is gonna get off the rails :ols:

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Listen, it *totally* depends on the price, but we should be sniffing around Julio Jones.  Yes, really.  He would add a different dimension to this offense and imagine the formations and options Turner would have at his disposal.

The contract hit is super resonable and we have the space now.  And Im sure RR knows exactly what he can do after being in the same division all those years.

Read it:

A trade for Jones could be appealing to the team acquiring him. By making the trade, that team would take on Jones’ $15.3 million salary in 2021 and $2 million in guaranteed 2022 salary. If that team were to release Jones ahead of 2022, they would be left with $2 million in dead money, having paid him $17.3 million on a one-year contract.

If the team acquiring Jones were to keep him beyond the 2021 season, they would have plenty of options. Jones is due to have a salary of $11.5 million in both 2022 and 2023. Thus, trading for Jones would see a team signing up for a three-year, $38.3 million contract. While that appears as excellent value, it would be a surprise not to see Jones request a new contract ahead of each of those seasons. If so, that could significantly increase the salary cap cost of acquiring Jones and his contract.

6 hours ago, skinny21 said:

As for you disagreeing with my point that it would be strange to ask Moses to be backup. That's cool, to each their own.  But to explain my point further.  In my opinion it would be strange because of context.  If he was like 35, I'd get it.  If he played poorly, I'd get it too.  But he's not that old, and he played well last year.   He's a long time starter who is arguably still in his prime who arguably came off his best season.  The reason why he was released as far as I can tell wasn't because they were disenchanted with him but because they have a younger and cheaper and potentially better player to replace him.    Moses IMO is too good of a player to sit on the bench -- it could be a headache as Finlay puts it in the article below.  

But as I said in my original response to you even if I thought its perfectly natural for Moses to be a backup to Cosmi and he should sit on the bench and be a good soldier and take it -- still you don't pay backups 8 million dollars a season -- heck most teams won't even pay a backup QB (arguably the most important backup spot on the roster) that kind of money -- so we should do it with a RT?  IMO it would be a foolish way to spend their money.    We'd have our backup RT almost making the same amount as the starting QB.  And on ther subject of money, do we want to pay 16 million or so over 2 years for a backup O lineman or use that money for example to extend Jonathan Allen?  Spending that kind of money for a backup RT would make even Vinny Cerrato blush as an embarassing financial move pertaining to working the cap over the long haul.  😀

https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/football-team/why-was-morgan-moses-released-behind-hard-truth-about-rebuild

Why cut Peterson to keep Peyton Barber, a plodder and a journeyman?

Well, the coaching staff clearly saw Peterson's presence as a deterrent to the development of third-round pick Antonio Gibson. 

Barber understood his role as a short-yardage banger and that in some games he simply wouldn't get carries. Peterson would not have been comfortable in that role, and Rivera saw that coming. 

In some ways, there could be a similar situation playing out.

Once Washington signed Leno, it became obvious he'd play left tackle. That meant Cosmi would be pushing Moses for the right tackle job, but how would that competition look? Keep in mind Moses had no more guaranteed money left on his contract - and probably wanted some of his $7.75 million salary to be guaranteed - and was an offseason roster battle the best course of action? Moses had the longest consecutive start streak on the team dating back to 2014. Was he really going to be pushed to a backup role?

Maybe Rivera didn't want to deal with those questions, or potential headaches. He sacrificed depth, unquestionably, but maybe it was for more harmony going forward. 

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

For everybody who was freaking out about letting Moses go, and I've heard so many different theories, it's unreal, I think it's really simple:

Moses was an average player, they were around him for a year, they believe they have either the same or better players for less cost, and there's no real benefit to keeping him around.

The sheer volume of posts I had defending Moses with the lines, "well, he really isn't that bad, he's average, we could do worse" and "I can't believe he doesn't get called for MORE false starts!" (after a 2 false start game) could stun a stampeding herd of rhino dead in their tracks.

Moses was fine.  He was durable, he was ok.  He wasn't great.  He wasn't a pro-bowler.  He was fine.  

Now he's gone.  I'm fine with that.  I wish him well.  But I'm not that plussed about it one way or the other.  You SHOULD be able to find another Morgan Moses.  

The other thing this does is it frees up reps for the other guys in mini-camp and training camp.  And that's important.  Dumping Christian at the same time does the same thing. They just had altogether too many OLmen.  It would have been impossible to give all of them appropriate work. Now they have cut a few guys it's more manageable.

Now, they need to be right about this.  If Cosmi stinks, and they can't block anybody, eh, that's going to be a problem, and they'll have to own it. 

Agree with this.  And heck I think Moses is a better than average player.  He's IMO decent.  And comes off like a good guy and is remarkably durable.   

Cosmi is an athletic freak with a world of potential.  Moses didn't have elite potential IMO.  Cosmi does.  I am not saying Cosmi will become elite.  I don't know.  But he's one of the best athletes at tackle we've seen coming out of the draft in the last 10 years.  Athleticism isn't the be all and end all but historically speaking it tends to be the most relevant at the tackle spot.  Cosmi also supposedly has a through the roof work ethic.   And he's being coached by one of the finest in the game. 

My two cents for those bemoaning Moses, instead focus on being jazzed about Cosmi.  Clearly they got some serious faith in him.  It looks like they will start him at RT before moving him to LT which is probably a smart way to go considering arguably he's a better run blocker right now than pass blocker.  And we still get Lucas as a swing tackle.  And Charles from what I heard has been cross trained at tackle and guard.  We aren't up the creek depth wise by a long shot.

I look at the move as an excuse to get even more jazzed about Cosmi.  And I am feeling even better about the cap moving forward.  It's sad for Moses perhaps.  But as for the team, it actually leads if anything to optimism.    

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 8.27.25 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-21 at 8.27.40 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I thin the issue with the Moses cut so many people have is we were in a situation where we had seven starting quality OL, with two more guys who were incredibly high caliber waiting in the wings.  Now we've got six and maybe we're elevating one of the guys to soon.  I think people actually do miss when the best teams could sit a top guy and season him

2 hours ago, carex said:

I thin the issue with the Moses cut so many people have is we were in a situation where we had seven starting quality OL, with two more guys who were incredibly high caliber waiting in the wings.  Now we've got six and maybe we're elevating one of the guys to soon.  I think people actually do miss when the best teams could sit a top guy and season him

The counter to this line of thinking is they had more guys than roster spots for tackle anyway, so at the end of the day somebody was going to get cut.  Shrug.  Might as well do it now.

12 hours ago, bakedtater1 said:

Nope..nothing you've said..just all the sad emojis you give all my posts

I would have responded quicker but I took some time away from the internet to balance myself and regain harmony.

In response to your post above, I could categorically deny it's accuracy and/or suggest that you research how many so called "sad" emojis vs "trophy", "heart" and "laughing guy" emojis I've left on ALL of your posts as I have attempted to do by visiting your profile page before I wrote this. (I just couldn't quite figure out how to pull up all of your old posts. lol)

I could also offer that the majority of any so called "sad" emojis I left on your posts were likely done many months ago when I was relatively new to the forum and in the process of learning its culture.

Back then I left negative emojis frequently to EVERYONE, not just you, that I disagreed with. 

However, since then I would say that 90% of the emojis I leave on posts are either trophies, hearts or laughing guys. In general I'd rather encourage those I agree with than discourage or ridicule those that I don't, but no one is perfect, least of all me.

In fact my best guess is that I've probably left more laughing emojis on posts YOU wrote than anything else. As I really enjoy your sense of humor and consider you a fine wit.

Which confused me all the more when I saw how angry and offended you were with me today. It seemed to come out of nowhere from someone I respected. I just couldn't believe it.

We could continue to go back and forth but what would that accomplish other than prolonging an argument over of all things emojis that's, quite frankly, beneath BOTH of us.

I would instead like to offer an olive branch and move forward in the forum without any animosity existing between us.

I don'thold grudges. They are a waste of time and quite frankly my memory is so bad nowadays that I can'teven remember who I'm supposed to be mad at. Plus we are both WFT fans after all, and our true enemies are the 31 other teams in the league. 🙂

To me this matter is finished and I will not discuss it further. 

Edited by TrancesWithWolves
  • Like 7

5 hours ago, AlvinWaltonIsMyBoy said:

Great article about Rivera learning from his mistakes in Carolina. “My team got old fast.”

That’s some solid self criticism and should serve him well here. I got no issues with the Moses move. Let’s roll.

Reading this makes me think it was Ron, who convinced both Thomas Davis and Alex Smith, to retire, lol

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, TrancesWithWolves said:

A belated and extremely sincere thank you to all of those who posted encouraging words both on this thread and to my private messages.

"We're in this thing together"

Brazil

I ‘liked’ your last post because of how great the tone/tenor was....   

but I so badly wanted to leave a 🥲

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

16 hours ago, terpfan said:

Good insight here from JP. 

Rivera must puke at the thought of paying Scherff 18mil for one season at RG. Especially if Charles looks as good as RR said, plus he brought in Larsen who has G experience at Carolina. Plus Flowers and Schweitzer on the roster. 

None of those are near to Scherff, but I would wager RR would jettison him If they could find a partner.

1 minute ago, UK SKINS FAN 74 said:

Rivera must puke at the thought of paying Scherff 18mil for one season at RG. Especially if Charles looks as good as RR said, plus he brought in Larsen who has G experience at Carolina. Plus Flowers and Schweitzer on the roster. 

None of those are near to Scherff, but I would wager RR would jettison him If they could find a partner.

I hope we are still trying to come up with a long term deal that alleviates this full 18m cap hit. After reading that we made generous offers the last 2 years and they were rejected, I don't have faith Scherff wants to remain in DC. Winning might change that, but we have a cutoff date in June/July so this year's W/L is irrelevant.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, mudhog said:

I hope we are still trying to come up with a long term deal that alleviates this full 18m cap hit. After reading that we made generous offers the last 2 years and they were rejected, I don't have faith Scherff wants to remain in DC. Winning might change that, but we have a cutoff date in June/July so this year's W/L is irrelevant.

also, on the basis Moses was expendable due to the Comis pick, then Rivera has mentioned Charles playing on the left side of the line and looking good in training/rehab.

Bit ambitious to think we could have a Charles/Cosmi right hand side?

• Like 1