Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

14 minutes ago, TheGoodBits said:

I still like the idea of sticking it in the quarry in Herndon off 28. Opens up some really interesting stadium concepts like leaving one side of it a solid stone wall. Imagine how unique and loud that would be.  (I'm just making this up btw. no idea how deep the thing is or what the walls would look like)

That would be super close to me so I'd love it personally but Herndon is way too out in the boonies for most people I think

On 2/21/2024 at 10:37 AM, TheGoodBits said:

I still like the idea of sticking it in the quarry in Herndon off 28. Opens up some really interesting stadium concepts like leaving one side of it a solid stone wall. Imagine how unique and loud that would be.  (I'm just making this up btw. no idea how deep the thing is or what the walls would look like)

good: it would be like a mile away from me

bad: the traffic would be terrible a mile away from me

On 2/21/2024 at 10:50 AM, Warhead36 said:

That would be super close to me so I'd love it personally but Herndon is way too out in the boonies for most people I think

NIMBY would be up in arms but the locals at Sully's / JOTTs wouldn't mind :)

On 2/12/2024 at 9:26 AM, Starry Plough said:

Squad of us are making the trip to Vegas (staying at the Luxor) in September so I’m looking forward to taking in the Allegiant. Looks quite the stadium and I agree is perhaps the model/template going forward, 

Late but I was there in October last year, the stadium is so close to the strip...literally go to Mandalay Bay and walk over I-15. It's nice but I never got inside, just wandered around the parking lot. There's also an in-n-out nearby if you're willing to walk.

• Thumb up 1

26 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

70% of the local neighborhood people in the lasted survey are against a stadium at the old RFK site. They want parks, fields for the kids among other things and do not want the traffic it will bring. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, skinsfan66 said:

70% of the local neighborhood people in the lasted survey are against a stadium at the old RFK site. They want parks, fields for the kids among other things and do not want the traffic it will bring. 

Most people don't want a stadium in their backyard, unfortunately it has to go somewhere so hopefully they can find a way to benefit all sides. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

When you are riding the Metro on the Blue Line for games to FedEx, I look out the window and basically see RFK decaying down while the parking lot is basically soccer fields. This is what the community wants.

The community didn't want a stadium that only hosted games 8 days a year. Not sure how they'd feel about a complex being attached to it, it would generate more foot traffic on non-game days, but also gentrify the neighborhood and raise rent

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, ixcuincle said:

When you are riding the Metro on the Blue Line for games to FedEx, I look out the window and basically see RFK decaying down while the parking lot is basically soccer fields. This is what the community wants.

The community didn't want a stadium that only hosted games 8 days a year. Not sure how they'd feel about a complex being attached to it, it would generate more foot traffic on non-game days, but also gentrify the neighborhood and raise rent

It was a pole they took about the Mayor and the site for the stadium. They will work something out. 

16 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

The local neighborhood didn't want Nats Park there either.

YARN | but I built it all the same, just to show 'em ...

Edited by Riggo#44
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, skinsfan66 said:

NIMBY is a real thing.

The city is going to consider their constituents, and then look at the possible economic benefit to the area with a large revenue generating engine, and build the damn thing anyway.

The counsel members from that area will vote against it at every turn.  So they can go to their voters and say "I tried!"  

But if the bill passes congress, and the city can figure out how to do it, they are going to try very, very hard to do it.

Here's the one contingency I would put on the Harris Group if they're receiving public funding in any way:  You MUST find a way to have the building in use and occupied for at least 1/4 of the nights in the year.  One out of every 4 nights, there needs to be something there which brings people, and therefore money, into the city.  

That's basically what the Nats have with 81 home games out of 365 days, (it's 22%), which is the same for the Caps/Wizards combined.

If you only have 10 events a year where 50k+ come to the area, that's not good enough.  

And the city needs to put it on Harris to make that happen. 

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

NIMBY is a real thing.

The city is going to consider their constituents, and then look at the possible economic benefit to the area with a large revenue generating engine, and build the damn thing anyway.

The counsel members from that area will vote against it at every turn.  So they can go to their voters and say "I tried!"  

But if the bill passes congress, and the city can figure out how to do it, they are going to try very, very hard to do it.

Here's the one contingency I would put on the Harris Group if they're receiving public funding in any way:  You MUST find a way to have the building in use and occupied for at least 1/4 of the nights in the year.  One out of every 4 nights, there needs to be something there which brings people, and therefore money, into the city.  

That's basically what the Nats have with 81 home games out of 365 days, (it's 22%), which is the same for the Caps/Wizards combined.

If you only have 10 events a year where 50k+ come to the area, that's not good enough.  

And the city needs to put it on Harris to make that happen. 

Harris has plenty of selfish motivation to make that happen for himself and the ownership group anyways. It’ll be a hot concert venue among many other things, I’m sure. It won’t be a hard sell for that to be a requirement, it’ll be a huge part of the pitch, I’m sure. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

35 minutes ago, Conn said:

Harris has plenty of selfish motivation to make that happen for himself and the ownership group anyways. It’ll be a hot concert venue among many other things, I’m sure. It won’t be a hard sell for that to be a requirement, it’ll be a huge part of the pitch, I’m sure. 

Agreed.  It's mutually beneficial.  

33 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Agreed.  It's mutually beneficial.  

DC can't afford to make capital improvements unless they are getting substantial foot traffic throughout the year.  Unfortunately, that constant traffic makes it less attractive for those who currently live nearby.  Unless they own their properties.  Then they can cash out to developers who will build higher density apartments.  The neighborhood doesn't understand that there isn't any money to re-develop the RFK site into a park with sports fields.  The money comes from debt financing that is tied to tax revenues that will be generated by RFK and any other higher density projects in the area.  

7 hours ago, ixcuincle said:

It’s always depressing seeing old RFK stadium when riding past it on the Blue/Silver lines. It just sits there decaying.

• Sad 1

On 2/23/2024 at 12:06 PM, Voice_of_Reason said:

They also have concerts, ones like Red Hot Chili Peppers, Elton John, and Lady Gaga, as well as events like Enchant so it’s a fairly productive stadium 

I keep hearing three sites cited, one each in DC, Maryland and Virginia; are those three generally "old RFK," "where FedEx field is currently" and in Loudoun Quarries respectively? Also, might current HQs and training center be moved from Ashburn; if so where is it potentially moving to?

Thanks for helping clarify this status.

Thank goodness, I know it probably stinks for the team to lose that extra revenue but it's one less reminder of doofus Dan. Go back to JKC stadium and keep working on the new place so you can sell those rights when the time comes. 

• Like 3