Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

• 2 weeks later...

I like that they are studying Atlanta.  It worries me some that they hired a person why helped the NY stadium process -- the NY stadium was IMO a big time failed endeavor.  In NY they spent a ton yet built a stadium with no character -- their stadium feels like the equivalent of what Fedex was when built in the 90s, big stadium with no character

Edited by Skinsinparadise

23 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like that they are studying Atlanta.  It worries me some that they hired a person why helped the NY stadium process -- the NY stadium was IMO a big time failed endeavor.  In NY they spent a ton yet built a stadium with no character -- their stadium feels like the equivalent of what Fedex was when built in the 90s, big stadium with no character

Having never been to the new Atlanta stadium, I guess I'd have to ask what gives it character?  The exterior doesn't look anything special.  I guess folks think that ring scoreboard up top is cool. But unfortunately, it boils down to the place being a dome, which unfortunately is where we are headed. The aspect like it sounds like they did right there several years ago was making the food comparatively affordable compared to other venues.

I went to a game at Met Life in 2016 and agree that the exterior is too drab. But its a perfectly functional stadium inside. I sat in the club level and got some sandwich called "Kitchen Sink" which for the price I thought was decent. They also had free snacks at the doors leading out from the concourse to the seats which I thought was a nice touch.  I did think the fans were a bit too subdued, given that it was an early season divisional game.

According to Wiki, Atlanta's stadium seats 71K, expandable to 75K.  I'd prefer something smaller, maybe not as tiny as the 50K reported as a possibility over the past couple years, but 60-65K sounds about right. I'd like to see them look more at Allegiant in Vegas as a model. And again, mass transit access is a must. I hope RFK is the place.

2 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Having never been to the new Atlanta stadium, I guess I'd have to ask what gives it character?  The exterior doesn't look anything special.  I guess folks think that ring scoreboard up top is cool. But unfortunately, it boils down to the place being a dome, which unfortunately is where we are headed. The aspect like it sounds like they did right there several years ago was making the food comparatively affordable compared to other venues.

I went to a game at Met Life in 2016 and agree that the exterior is too drab. But its a perfectly functional stadium inside. I sat in the club level and got some sandwich called "Kitchen Sink" which for the price I thought was decent. They also had free snacks at the doors leading out from the concourse to the seats which I thought was a nice touch.  I did think the fans were a bit too subdued, given that it was an early season divisional game.

According to Wiki, Atlanta's stadium seats 71K, expandable to 75K.  I'd prefer something smaller, maybe not as tiny as the 50K reported as a possibility over the past couple years, but 60-65K sounds about right. I'd like to see them look more at Allegiant in Vegas as a model. And again, mass transit access is a must. I hope RFK is the place.

I think this is the reason why they did the tour.  I would wager that the ownership group will tour So-Fi Stadium, and AT&T Stadium later this season when we play at those venues.  We're 100% going to be playing in a dome or a retractable roof stadium someday, so I guess it makes sense to do a deep dive, to see how those stadiums look up close and also think about what features you want to accentuate for our new stadium in the future.  Personally, I think the nicest stadiums in the league are So-Fi Stadium and US Bank Stadium (Vikings).  I would definitely want the new stadium to be as nice as those venues are.  We deserve it after putting up with Fed-Up Field for the last quarter century.

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I like SoFi Stadium but only from what I've seen on TV. I've never been to any NFL stadium except for RFK. If the stadium is a dome, I beg for it to have natural grass and not career shortening artificial turf.

I think it will be natural grass.  With all the stink about domes with artificial turf and open air stadiums using artificial turf like MetLife, I think the trend will be to use natural grass, even if it's a dome.

Having been to Mercedes Dome in ATL, it is definitely a experience, it's the best looking dome from the outside a work of art.  Easily accessible from different entrances.  It's like a party in there during the games....  definitely one of the top venues in the NFL. 

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Ball Security said:

Honestly, I wasn’t in awe of SoFi. I had it built up in my head, but  thought I’d come away more impressed.

It’s the exact opposite for me.  I LOVED So-Fi, and it pained me to realize how dilapidated and garbage Fed-Ex Field is.  We’ve GOT to have an announcement soon on location and stadium design.  I think that would get the fans excited about a light at the end of the tunnel for a soon to be exit from that dump.  So-Fi was so spacious and modern, I was in awe of its appearance.  The scoreboard was fantastic too, and it had advanced stats like pass per play that we don’t have at Fed-Ex.

Edited by samy316

• 1 month later...

PHILADELPHIA — In Center City Philadelphia, Josh Harris’ top executives say he has a $1.3 billion plan to revitalize the once thriving Market East business district. The plan calls for a sleek, state of the art basketball arena and year-round retail center for one of Harris' other teams, the Philadelphia 76ers. And it could offer clues to what the billionaire owner has in store for when he builds a new stadium for the Washington Commanders.

In an exclusive interview with WUSA9 Sports Director Chick Hernandez, Harris confirmed he and his team are actively moving forward with plans for a new Commanders stadium and revealed he his advisors have identified three sites. 

“We’re studying where would our new home be,” Harris said. “We continue to look at sites in three jurisdictions. We’ll have a lot more to say about that in the coming months. It’s very complicated in the sense that each site has its own nuances in terms of the politics, the site itself, is it good for football, what do you do to the area, how do you do it, and so all that stuff is ongoing so we’re working hard.” 

Sources confirm to WUSA9 the three proposed sites are in D.C., Maryland and Virginia. Harris' team would not disclose the specific location of those three sites, but said the fan favorite in D.C. — the old RFK Stadium — is the location they are considering in the District. 

That’s what he and his company, Harris Blitzer Sports and Entertainment (HBSE), are trying to do in Philadelphia with an arena project, dubbed “76 Place.” WUSA9 visited the city and walked the site of the Sixers' proposed downtown arena, past many of those boarded up businesses, with HBSE Chief Diversity and Impact Officer David Gould and Chief Executive Officer Tad Brown.

“It takes a lot of intentionality,” Gould said. "But that’s something that we are doing here and absolutely something we would be looking to do in D.C. and wherever we are doing business.”

Gould estimates 70 to 80 percent of the storefronts in Philadelphia’s Market East are vacant.

“This is a tremendous opportunity for Philadelphia,” Brown added. “We can amplify, and we can really help kind of shift the course of where it’s going at this point.”

A website dedicated to the new arena project estimates it will bring 12,200 jobs and inject $2.3 billion into downtown Philadelphia, generating $1.5 billion in new tax revenue over 30 years.

“When you look at how these entertainment complexes -- whether they be stadiums or arenas -- are being developed these days, it's about more than just those events that are happening on that day,” Brown said sitting inside the 76ers training facility, which sits across the Schuylkill River from Philadelphia in Camden, New Jersey.

If approved by the city of Philadelphia, 76 Place will include a year-round first floor atrium entrance on Market Street and outward facing retail to drive foot traffic on non-game days. The basketball arena itself will be one level up, which is where ticketed entry to Sixers games would be located.

“I think you see many stadiums that are being built, many arenas that are being built, have that retail component, or have that extra component around it,” Brown said. “Where you're able to create that that gameday experience that is unmatched.

Brown told WUSA9 that Harris’ model for a basketball arena, or a football stadium, is creating an economic driver for the franchise, while driving the local economy too.

“It's about making sure that not only is this a business decision and a decision for the team and for the organization, it's really something that is going to live in the community here for generations,” Brown said.

In Philadelphia, that means a $50 million community benefits agreement to lessen potential negative impacts from the new arena; adding affordable housing to the proposal; and helping to start a program called “Everybody Builds,” training those in underserved communities to work on large scale development projects like 76 Place. 

“This is an opportunity to really create generational wealth for folks who are typically not in a position to benefit from it,” Gould said as he stood outside the proposed arena location, a financially failing shopping mall called “Fashion District Philadelphia.”

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1