Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

Check out this article from 2012.  Does anybody know what became of this site?

Pepco Benning Road site is perfect for the NFL or FBI – Greater Greater Washington (ggwash.org)

Actually, the site is apparently vacant since the plant was demolished in 2014.  I would not be surprised at all if this site is in play.

Benning Road Power Plant - Wikipedia

Edited by Commander PK

2 minutes ago, peanut0862 said:

I read on the wikipedia link that the site is 19 Acres is that big enough for stadium and parking?

Found this. 

A typical football stadium can range from around 5 acres for a smaller, high school stadium, to over 150 acres for a large, professional NFL stadium.

For example, the AT&T Stadium, home of the Dallas Cowboys, has an area of 140 acres. While the Soldier Field, home of the Chicago Bears, has an area of around 23 acres.

It's also worth mentioning that the area required for a football stadium doesn't only include the field and seating areas, but also the parking lots, concourses, concessions, and other facilities that are necessary for the stadium to function. For example, a big stadium like the AT&T Stadium can hold up to 150,000 fans and it has a parking lot for around 20,000 cars.

In general, the area required for a football stadium can vary greatly depending on the specific design and requirements of the stadium, and the available land in the area where the stadium is to be built.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, profusion said:

Traffic on that section of 295 is already stacked up 24/7. There'd have to be some major infrastructure improvement for it to be viable.

Apparently, two lines of the metro are nearby and there is room for an in-station.  

Regarding acreage from the "Perfect for the NFL" link above.

FedEx Field, the current home of the Redskins, and its adjacent parking lots encompass approximately 160 acres. A National Park Service maintenance facility and land used as a trash-transfer station lie immediately north of the power plant. These could be combined with the plant site, creating a 90-acre parcel (outlined in red).

While this is significantly smaller than the area currently used by the Redskins, it’s not much smaller than the approximately 95 acres of RFK Stadium and its adjacent parking lots, which the Redskins used for decades (when the team actually won multiple championships). Plus, a new stadium could take up less space by replacing the massive asphalt deserts that surround RFK and FedEx Field with more compact parking decks while still leaving some surface space for tailgating.

201202-pepcosmall.jpg

Edited by Commander PK
  • Thumb up 2

44 minutes ago, profusion said:

If it's smaller than the RFK site, then it's a non-starter. The RFK site itself is probably too small for a modern stadium/entertainment complex

Not necessarily, they could incorporate the rfk site into the plan since they're so close together. 

• Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, spjunkies said:

Not necessarily, they could incorporate the rfk site into the plan since they're so close together. 

That seems like a stretch. I'm not sure a developer for a mixed-use stadium/entertainment complex (with stores & restaurants/bars etc.) would want to incorporate the Benning Rd. bridge into the plan, and it'd be a pretty long slog from one side to the other.

Tough to say. A regular stadium without all the fluff might work at the Pepco site. I'm sure the Commanders would prefer the RFK site, though. The new guys in charge are a heck of a lot smarter and savvier than the old guy, so they're going to demand the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Any thoughts on renovating RFK instead of building a new one to save money?

Aunt brought it up, think of how old some stadiums are, like Lambeu, Soldier Field, Wrigley...

I wouldn't want something bigger then 60k on the RFK site anyway, what was its peak max capacity?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb down 1

2 hours ago, Renegade7 said:

Any thoughts on renovating RFK instead of building a new one to save money?

Aunt brought it up, think of how old some stadiums are, like Lambeu, Soldier Field, Wrigley...

I wouldn't want something bigger then 60k on the RFK site anyway, what was its peak max capacity?

No.  You build a modern nfl stadium , even if it's small. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Why?

We’re a major market with hands down the worst stadium in the NFL.  It’s an embarrassment we play in such a dump.  If you renovate RFK, you need to tear it completely down, and build it to fit the modern day aesthetics of what an NFL stadium should be.  You would also need to have a retractable roof or a dome, so that you can get big time events here like a SB, Final Four, Major Concerts, etc.  Just renovating RFK isn’t enough.

I guarantee you the new owners didn’t buy this team just to “renovate RFK”.  It isn’t even their land yet.  There’s still a chance that they can’t agree to get the land at RFK, but it’s also possible they could get a parcel of land in some other section of DC, like the area across the Anacostia River from Nats Park.  The new stadium will be at least 70K (because that’s the requirement capacity to be awarded a Super Bowl), and it will be retractable roof/dome.  Those are absolute must haves.  Something like US Bank Stadium (Vikings), or So-Fi Stadium.

Edited by samy316

3 minutes ago, samy316 said:

We’re a major market with hands down the worst stadium in the NFL.  It’s an embarrassment we play in such a dump.  If you renovate RFK, you need to tear it completely down, and build it to fit the modern day aesthetics of what an NFL stadium should be.  You would also need to have a retractable roof or a dome, so that you can get big time events here like a SB, Final Four, Major Concerts, etc.  Just renovating RFK isn’t enough.

Green Bay and Chicago don't have retractable roofs...in fact, having passed by Solider Field countless times now visiting family in Chicago, it comes across like many modern features added on top of the older building (looks like a hybrid between old and modern).

I'm not buying we need a retractable roof for venues like Final 4 when they are putting them in football stadiums with far larger capacity then we want to put on RFK site.  The last model I saw from Snyder didn't have a roof and kinda hit home this idea that it would be smaller and thus not a competitor for national major events even if it had one.

No one wants a 100k stadium in DC.

11 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Green Bay and Chicago don't have retractable roofs...in fact, having passed by Solider Field countless times now visiting family in Chicago, it comes across like many modern features added on top of the older building (looks like a hybrid between old and modern).

I'm not buying we need a retractable roof for venues like Final 4 when they are putting them in football stadiums with far larger capacity then we want to put on RFK site.  The last model I saw from Snyder didn't have a roof and kinda hit home this idea that it would be smaller and thus not a competitor for national major events even if it had one.

No one wants a 100k stadium in DC.

Snyder’s last model did have a roof as of 2021:

https://frontofficesports.com/commanders-3b-plan-includes-color-changing-stadium/

If you look at the conception, it has a roof like Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas.

The point is that new stadiums being built across the NFL are strictly geared towards retractable roofs/domes (Except Buffalo, because they would never get a SB due to being a small city in a cold environment with an inadequate number of hotels).  You’re NOT getting a SB with an open air stadium anywhere north of Atlanta anymore.  The SB at MetLife will NEVER happen again.  That SB went off without a hitch, but that game ended about 6 hours before a blizzard hit the NYC area the next morning.

Even the Bears have new stadium rendering, where they would put a dome over the current Soldier Field, after major renovations, or they might move the team outside the city and build a retractable roof/dome stadium in suburban Arlington Heights:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/what-the-chicago-bears-can-learn-about-arlington-heights-from-sofi-stadium/3019502/%3famp=1

Nashville, Jacksonville are also getting new stadiums by 2026.  Both are getting retractable roof/dome stadiums.  We’re next in line after that.

Edited by samy316

1 minute ago, samy316 said:

Snyder’s last model did have a roof as of 2021:

https://frontofficesports.com/commanders-3b-plan-includes-color-changing-stadium/

I'll admit last model I saw was the one with the moot, not this one.

If you look at the conception, it has a roof like Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas.

The point is that new stadiums being built across the NFL are strictly geared towards retractable roofs/domes.  You’re NOT getting a SB with an open air stadium anywhere north of Atlanta anymore.  The SB at MetLife will NEVER happen again.  That SB went off without a hitch, but that game ended about 6 hours before a blizzard hit the NYC area the next morning.

How bad do we want to get into DC?. They've made clear they don't want a mageplex that leads to the demolition and rebuilding of the surrounding area like they did MCI Center and Nationals Park. 

In context to a potential snowball, having potential super bowl with snow here, the climate around here has changed that its way warmer then usual and now we rarely get snow.  It's more like VA Beach and North Carolina winters up here now.

What's more important, having a super bowl in dc or having our stadium in dc.

Even the Bears have new stadium rendering, where they would put a dome over the current Soldier Field, after major renovations, or they might move the team outside the city and build a retractable roof/dome stadium in Arlington Heights:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcchicago.com/investigations/what-the-chicago-bears-can-learn-about-arlington-heights-from-sofi-stadium/3019502/%3famp=1

This I heard about and not many people in Chicago are happy about the Bears leaving city proper.  I get that this is a business and they need to make money, but NFL teams are already making it hand offer fist...enough that they need to ignore what the local fans actually want in order to make it.

Vikings are a soft ass franchise since they got a roof, I don't want that for us, imo.  I get it but don't like it.