Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

2 hours ago, spjunkies said:

I'm praying that he fixes the embarrassing mixed colored seats in the club level. I know it's not a huge deal, but I can't stand seeing it.

So, there is a reason for it, at least there was.  Premium Season Ticket Holders get the purple seats with the cushions.  The theory was (which never came to fruition) it would be a way to advertise how FEW season premium season tickets were left, so go buy one.  They wanted the entire middle bowl to be purple Or burgundy, or whatever color it was.  It always just looked purple to me, but maybe they were attempting for burgundy.  

It was a plan that backfired when I was a premium season ticket holder in the early 2000's.  Though I did enjoy my cushion... :) They should have scrapped it ages ago.  Lack of attention to detail.  

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Haha 1

The club level has always been a problem--I say that having never sat there. On TV, it looks like this huge empty section right in the middle of the stadium. It wasn't one of JKC's better ideas.

Maybe if fans start showing up in droves again in the currently smaller seating capacity, the club seats will sell better. It'll be interesting to see if the concept makes it over to the next stadium.

• Like 1

Dan tried to get club seat holders to pay extra for a red padded seat to be installed in place of their yellow one. Some did and a lot didn't. Either way, it looks atrocious. And a few of the seats were in a terrible state of disrepair.

Attendance in the club level was significantly better last year due to the team slashing prices on the seats and offering perks like free parking.

The club level itself wasn't a bad idea (by then many other venues across pro sports had them), but in retrospect 15K for that level was too big ( a new stadium should have half that). But also keep in mind that the stadium opened a mere six seasons since the Skins last Super Bowl. The demand was there, particularly at the $100-200 per game the Skins week charging for club seats at the time.

Edited by hail2skins
  • Like 1

If they dont fast track the site selection process, I dont think this stadium sees the light of day until 2030, at the earliest. At 27, Terry Mclaurin might literally have played his entire career and be retired by the time this thing opens.

• Sad 1

Comer to introduce bill that could let D.C. turn RFK into Commanders home

July 27, 2023 at 6:00 a.m. EDT

Rep. James Comer, the Republican chairman of the congressional committee that oversees the District, will introduce bipartisan legislation Thursday that could help D.C. turn the shuttered RFK Stadium site into an attractive new mixed-use development — and potentially into a shiny new home for the Washington Commanders.

“This legislation is set to pave the way for local officials to create meaningful new jobs, add millions in city revenue, and transform the Anacostia River waterfront into a lively destination for all,” Comer (Ky.) said in a statement to The Washington Post before the introduction.

Comer’s bill comes a week after the National Football League met to finalize the sale of the Commanders from scandal-ridden owner Daniel Snyder to private-equity billionaire and D.C. native Josh Harris. The sale and the bill mark a pair of major developments that, combined, could make possible a once-longshot bid to bring the Washington Commanders back to Washington.

The legislation is a rare moment of bipartisan harmony during a tumultuous year for D.C. in Congress. Led by Comer, a Republican who has clashed with D.C. Council members and pushed through legislation seeking to block local D.C. bills, the RFK legislation is also co-sponsored by Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D), the District’s nonvoting representative in Congress.

“The RFK site sits on underused federal land in D.C. that could be redeveloped, generating tax revenue for D.C.,” Norton said in a statement. “Neither the Mayor nor the Council Chair opposes this bill, which would allow D.C. to put the site to productive use — a vast improvement on the current state of affairs. I look forward to working with Chairman Comer to pass this bill as quickly as possible.”

The possibility of redeveloping RFK also represents a potential legacy agenda item for Mayor Muriel E. Bowser (D), who has enthusiastically pursued returning the Washington Commanders to the city.

“We hope Congress will move this bipartisan legislation expeditiously so that we can finally unlock the potential of the RFK campus,” Bowser said in a statement to The Post, thanking Comer and Norton for the legislation.

A spokeswoman for Bowser said the mayor on Thursday morning would announce a new dedicated team within her administration’s economic development department that would be responsible for “retaining, maintaining and attracting” sports teams and opportunities — potentially including the Commanders.

...In Maryland, Gov. Wes Moore (D) has said he supports using some taxpayer dollars to keep the team in the state, and last year, then-Gov. Larry Hogan (R) signed a deal to borrow as much as $400 million to revamp the area around FedEx Field. On Monday night, Commanders team president Jason Wright and vice president of public affairs Joe Maloney hosted at Maloney’s house a fundraiser for Prince George’s County Executive Angela D. Alsobrooks (D), who’s running for a seat in the U.S. Senate.

The new Commanders ownership hasn’t indicated a preferred location. On July 20, after the sale became official, Harris spoke personally with Bowser, Moore and Youngkin, according to three people with knowledge of the calls who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss the private conversations.

The next day, Harris spoke fondly at a news conference of growing up in Chevy Chase and attending games at RFK. But when asked about his long-term plans for a new stadium, he grew vague.

“We would love to have a stadium where the opposing players fear to come, and our fans love to come, and our players love to come and feel welcomed,” he said. “That’s what I experienced at RFK — and whatever happens with the stadium, that’s the kind of stadium experience I want to create.”

During a fan pep rally on Friday at FedEx Field, the fans made their desire clear, chanting multiple times: “RFK! RFK! RFK!”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2023/07/27/comer-republican-dc-bill-rfk-stadium-commanders/

tbh I am fine with it anywhere as long as it's not too far away

to me the innovation center site is like 5 minutes from my house, but the area would see a massive increase in traffic and not sure NIMBY would want it

National HArbor is doable but no metro and I like the metro in.

Slightly excited about this DC news, plus they'd just retool RFK the site of glory days. Easy commute too, just get out stadium armory and wham you're there.

6 hours ago, SkinsFTW said:

It's comical how all of a sudden after Doofus Dan is gone every possible site is beginning to bend over backwards to get the team moved to their location. 

Nobody wanted to be associated with sleazy Snyder.

Now that he's gone, they're tripping over themselves to have this team in their backyard.

• Like 2

I know it's too early to speculate but If they move back to DC would fans want it to be called RFK or sell the naming rights? There is too much money at stake not to sell the naming rights but perhaps they could still work in RFK somehow.

8 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

I know it's too early to speculate but If they move back to DC would fans want it to be called RFK or sell the naming rights? There is too much money at stake not to sell the naming rights but perhaps they could still work in RFK somehow.

“DRAFTKINGS Stadium”

solved it 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4

15 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

It'll be something like RFK field at Extremeskins Stadium. Those naming rights are 100% getting sold lol.

• Haha 2

On 7/24/2023 at 10:34 AM, profusion said:

The club level has always been a problem--I say that having never sat there.

i sat there last year and it was an awesome experience ... the amenities are great, view is great.  but i'm super easy to please. 

i might get season tix in the club section this year, if they are still available in a few weeks.  they are going quick. 

21 hours ago, skinfan2k said:

RFK is happening but its going to be the Wharf 2.0 where that will be the main factor/interest of that area and the stadium is a side thought. (similiar to the anthem)

i'm probably real late tot he party, but with mitchell rales in charge of the stadium (heard that some where) i doubt he looks outside of DC. I mean, he's a DC guy. He's not driving to maryland or somewhere in virginia. hell no. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

I got to work too early and missed it but did anybody catch the Murial Bowser interview on The Junks and pick up the vibe, sense of momentum, provide a recap?

It's pretty much a continuation of what she's been saying. "We want DC's team back" and they think the RFK is the best option for all parties based on existing infrastructure and the opportunities a new facility could offer for the neighborhood. 

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

I got to work too early and missed it but did anybody catch the Murial Bowser interview on The Junks and pick up the vibe, sense of momentum, provide a recap?

I did.  She doubled down that she wants this team in DC.   She agreed with the junkies that the politics of this has improved to get it here with Harris now in the fold.  Harris visted her at City Hall yestersay.

good summary here

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, RFK Lives said:

I got the sense it's going to get done at the RFK site. It reminds me of the Nats Park discussion. People will oppose, they'll politely listen, nod their head a smile...flip them the bird and build it anyway.

I know the studies, but this is a good thing for the city. Anacostia is a totally different area since the Stadium went in. It's also now paid off, so to speak. A top of the line stadium can bring in all kinds of additional revenue for the city. How much did it miss out on not getting the World Cup?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1