Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

The Metro access would be a big advantage for Dulles over the other proposed sites. It'd be a bit of a trek to the stadium location, but probably better than Morgan Blvd. is now.

It'd have to be good, because driving into the stadium location from the freeways would be an absolute nightmare, even if the traffic to get there wouldn't be as bad as Dumfries or Woodbridge. That site is sort of tucked into a little corner of the 28/267 junction and isn't easily accessible from either highway as it is right now. There'd have to be major road/exit improvements to make that a workable site--much more so that FedEx Field required. Add that onto the bill, fellow Virginia taxpayers, 'cause you KNOW Dan ain't paying for that!

Edited by profusion

Here’s some of the responses from the greater D.C.-area’s elected leaders: https://www.fox5dc.com/news/fans-local-officials-react-to-dan-snyder-exploring-sale-of-washington-commanders

D.C. MAYOR MURIEL BOWSER:

"I only saw the headline when I was walking into this event, so I don’t know the details about it but I think it sounds like a positive move for the team"
"You know where I stand on where the Washington Football team should play, in Washington."

D.C. COUNCILMEMBER CHARLES ALLEN:

"Selling the team to new owners would be a welcome step for anyone that truly cares about the Commanders team and what it means to the DC region. But regardless of which billionaire owns the team, placing a large, expensive, and mostly unused NFL stadium at the RFK site will remain the wrong decision to advance the city's goal of more housing, jobs, and park space."

PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY EXECUTIVE ANGELA ALSOBROOKS:

"We continue to believe that Largo is the best suited location for the Washington Commanders. A new Commanders stadium would be in the heart of downtown Largo and our Blue Line Corridor, which will include a youth sports complex, an amphitheater, a market hall, a civic plaza, and other amenities that will transform Largo into a sports and entertainment destination for the Commanders, Prince Georgians and visitors across the region. It would also continue to give a home in Prince George’s to employees, local small businesses, and fans who have supported the team for years."

MARYLAND GOVERNOR LARRY HOGAN:

"We encourage Commanders leadership to continue to build on the partnership that the state and Prince George’s County have developed with team president Jason Wright to lay the groundwork for a world-class facility on the Blue Line Corridor."

VIRGINIA GOVERNOR GLEN YOUNGKIN:

"If the Commanders are going to relocate, they should relocate to Virginia. We are the best state to live, work, raise a family, and have a professional sports team. But our legislators have got to do the work. Come back to me with a frame so that we then can negotiate the best deal on behalf of taxpayers. This is a moment where taxpayers have to be represented. And I feel I’m well-equipped to do that. But we need to get our legislators back and that’s not going to happen until January."

Edited by ClaytoAli

The team belongs at the RFK site, and I believe the right owner could make that happen. You have to know whose palms to grease and how to play the PR game with "community development" and all that. 

I will say, that traffic on the Anacostia Freeway is much, much worse than it was in 1995, including on weekends. Don't think it would be exactly like the old days in terms of getting to and fro.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, profusion said:

The team belongs at the RFK site, and I believe the right owner could make that happen. You have to know whose palms to grease and how to play the PR game with "community development" and all that. 

Read exactly that from a reporter today. New stadium (domed) on the RFK site and DC would get a super bowl nod in the near future.

1 minute ago, CRobi21 said:

Read exactly that from a reporter today. New stadium (domed) on the RFK site and DC would get a super bowl nod in the near future.

Yeah, but that was basically just speculation. It could be that the league office has been meeting with DC officials on the side, but I doubt it.

New owner will have their work cut out for them; the zoning and planning process in DC, with all the "neighborhood advisory commissions" and such, is a bloodsport. Add into this the fact that the federal government owns the RFK site and would have to agree to this, too. And then there's the matter of getting the DC Council to vote up some funding.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

With Snyder out, does Loudoun County already want new Commanders stadium?

With Daniel Snyder’s sale of the Commanders to be soon finalized, the Commanders already have Loudoun County declaring interest in a new Commanders stadium

more at link……

https://commanderswire.usatoday.com/2023/04/17/washington-commanders-dan-snyder-new-stadium-loudoun-county-virginia/

Loudoun board willing to discuss Commanders stadium relocation, Randall's office says

Technically, Loudoun County is already home to the Washington Commanders; the football team’s headquarters and training facility are in Ashburn. Now, one county official has gone public with the county's pitch for the team to build its main event — a new stadium complex — on a portion of the Chantilly Crushed Stone quarry property planned for the Waterside mixed-use development.

more at link:

https://www.loudountimes.com/news/loudoun-board-willing-to-discuss-commanders-stadium-relocation-randalls-office-says/article_aa01e086-dbf9-11ed-a6f6-cfff416cf75a.html

I’ve had my eyes on that quarry site as an ideal NoVA site for years. It would be so sick building a stadium down into the open quarry. Opens up a ton of architectural possibilities. Metro is now right there too, and you can build a little mini-city around it. 

I always said the Quarry site / Waterside was the best option outside of RFK. I’d even say it has a bit of an advantage given you probably have better access to your fan base there … and 1 metro stop from Dulles makes it an easy access point for fans traveling in. 

you lose on the appeal of being in DC with the buildings and prestige. But what you could get at the Waterside location probably beats any stadium in the country in terms of accessibility. 

I think if Amazon had not chosen Arlington/VA for HQ2 that apple would have put their 2nd HQ there … which they ultimately split into a few locations. The Amazon pitch renderings (think they’re publicly available) show how much potential that site has

• Like 1

As I've probably said a million times, this new stadium has got to be transit accessible. Walking to and from the Morgan Boulevard station on those narrow sidewalks enhances what is often a miserable FedEx Field experience. And I'm sure as hell not paying for parking on top of an already pricey situation.

The RFK site would probably be the best choice in that regard - it's in the District and its served by three different Metro lines that run into the Commonwealth and Maryland (albeit in PG County). But regardless of where it is, if it is within a half-mile of a rapid transit station, I'll be making trips to see the team at least once or twice a year. They will absolutely get more of my money and I reckon I'm not alone in this.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Barry.Randolphe said:

The new owner should pay the money to DC United to own and expand Audi Field and put a retractable roof on it so it can handle 50k people and call it a day - that stadium is perfect for football and is in a great location for everyone

I think the city owns that place. Working something out to expand that place would be the perfect solution though. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

DC United plays there Saturdays into fall not counting playoffs. How would you prep the field in time?

Is there any precedence from the short amount of time the franchise shared their playing grounds (namely when the Senators played late season Saturday games or D.C. United's first season/'Skins last season at RFK Stadium?)

9 minutes ago, thebluefood said:

Is there any precedence from the short amount of time the franchise shared their playing grounds (namely when the Senators played late season Saturday games or D.C. United's first season/'Skins last season at RFK Stadium?)

This plus we could just use that newfangled artificial turf that they use in the Meadowlands which will make the wear and tear more bearable. 

Edited by spjunkies
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

This plus we could just use that newfangled artificial turf that they use in the Meadowlands which will make the wear and tear more bearable. 

Yeah, surely there's a way to make that happen. I don't know what the logistics would be to actually accommodate an NFL team at Audi Field but if there's any way new ownership could work with the District of Columbia to make it happen, that would probably be the best solution of them all. The team would play in D.C. again and plans to turn the RFK site into a park and recreation area can proceed ahead, not pricing folks out of their homes along East Capitol Street.

I've (grudgingly) admired Philadelphia's sports complex and it would be great to have something similar here.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, spjunkies said:

Are you talking about the slit film turf? Or have they gotten something new since November? NFLPA and players came out against the slit film this past season. MetLife will have a new turf this upcoming season. After a quick look, I don’t see what they are replacing it with yet.

The slit turf causes too many injuries. So, I think that’s a huge no go.

4 minutes ago, Fan since a Fetus said:

Are you talking about the slit film turf? Or have they gotten something new since November? NFLPA and players came out against the slit film this past season. MetLife will have a new turf this upcoming season. After a quick look, I don’t see what they are replacing it with yet.

The slit turf causes too many injuries. So, I think that’s a huge no go.

Maybe NY was a bad example. I guess they can study whatever they use in multiuse stadiums and go from there. It can certainly be done, RFK used to host everything under the sun back in the day. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CobraCommander said:

DC United plays there Saturdays into fall not counting playoffs. How would you prep the field in time?

Couldn't they just do what other multi-field stadiums do and go with the retractable field to swap out? That would be part of the renovation process

• Like 2