Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

New Stadium News?

RichmondRedskin88

39 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

What site is most alive at this point? FedEx's parking lot?

My backyard is open. Just not sure we have the fan base to fill it. I mean we’ve had barbecues before where over 20 people showed up. 

• Haha 4
  • Thumb up 1

40 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

What site is most alive at this point? FedEx's parking lot?

The Dome at America's Center...in St. Louis, MO.

The longer this goes on without resolution, the more likely that Snyder will up and move the team. Don't think it can't happen...Cleveland and Baltimore both thought that too.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 hours ago, BringMetheHeadofBruceAllen said:

The Dome at America's Center...in St. Louis, MO.

The longer this goes on without resolution, the more likely that Snyder will up and move the team. Don't think it can't happen...Cleveland and Baltimore both thought that too.

I've come around to the idea that, although low, there is a chance that this could happen. I'd put it at maybe 5% but I think it is real. I think it's greater than him selling the team voluntarily.

His allies in the league and league office are dwindling.

The Redskins are no more and the team identity is in flux.

The fanbase absolutely hates him.

Nobody is going to give him money for a stadium.

Doesn't mean St. Louis would welcome him with open arms or money, but if they have a suitable dome replacement that requires minimal $$ for upgrades and they want a team now instead of waiting for expansion, then maybe they look past his scumbagness.

I even think the league wouldn't mind it too much since they are going to have to give St. Louis a team when they expand to 34 or 36 in the next few years.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DJD2 said:

I think it's greater than him selling the team voluntarily.

I even think the league wouldn't mind it too much since they are going to have to give St. Louis a team when they expand to 34 or 36 in the next few years.

Yup, he'd move before selling the team.

Please God no...QB play is bad enough in this league without adding another 2-4 teams. Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered, NFL!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Commander PK said:

Yup, but this time done right.  I like the Maryland plan for the site a lot.  I like the fact the stadium may look like the Cap Centre.  I have amazing memories from that building.   

I want it to stay at FedEx. Lived in Montgomery County or Frederick my whole life so I'm biased. I've also never really minded the drive to FedEx since I get there early to tailgate. Def. appreciate all the parking lot space at FedEx, which will probably disappear significantly with a new stadium.

Agree with Cap Centre looks ... we've had Caps and Redskins tickets in family forever.

• Like 2

A couple of seasons of winning and a reinvigorated (maybe even just plain old new) fan base will go a long way in wanting to build a stadium that homes the commanders. There is so much riding on this year, it’s insane. For Rivera, for Wentz, for the trajectory of this franchise. Im hopeful a new name and 2022 is the year we point to in time and go, “yep that’s when it all fell into place.” 

• Haha 1

But the stadium bill had lost support before Del Rio said anything. Other issues exist.

Sen. Scott Surovell, who tweeted Wednesday that Del Rio's comments would end up postponing the vote, represents the site of the desired location. He said with 140 members, there's no single issue.

"They need more time to rework the project," Surovell said. "They have to deal with a lot of questions, mainly about transportation. They're proposing to locate the project in the worst bottleneck of the East Coast, and if you're going to have a lot of people, you have to have a way to get people in and out.

"I hope after six months we can get some better clarity on some of these issues that have bubbled up -- the various allegations and being looked at by different bodies."

Sen. Bryce Reeves, a Republican, also tweeted his opposition to the bill on Wednesday: "The Washington Commanders stadium deal should have been dead on arrival from the start. I voted no on this back in January. Dan Snyder doesn't need our tax subsidies and gov't funded stadiums have proven to benefit the rich and not the average hard working Virginian."

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

Despite the lack of legislation, the team and Loudoun County will continue to pursue a purchase option agreement at Waterside, a planned development of shops and offices that is now Loudoun Quarries, according to two people with knowledge of the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing business negotiations. The Commanders have a similar agreement in Woodbridge, Va.

“The legislation is just one piece of this puzzle,” Buddy Rizer, the executive director for economic development in Loudoun County, said in a statement. “We’re committed to continuing our work with the team on the local pieces of this project to see if there is an opportunity to bring this vision to reality in Loudoun County.”

Snyder has sought to build not just a new stadium but a massive commercial and residential complex that supporters call a “mini city,” including a convention center, concert venue, restaurants, hotels and housing. The team, which is contractually obligated to play at FedEx Field in Landover, Md., until 2027, has been shopping for a new home for years in the District, Maryland and Virginia.

The franchise had long struggled to drum up competition between the jurisdictions, but now with the commonwealth off the table and a majority of the D.C. Council members coalescing Thursday to oppose the team returning to the site of RFK Stadium, it is unclear how the Commanders could revive that competition in the near term.

Snyder could either forge ahead this year in the District or Maryland, which has already pledged $400 million for infrastructure around a new stadium, or he can wait for next year in the hopes of getting all three jurisdictions to participate. But each day without a new stadium deal dims the Commanders hopes of moving out of FedEx Field by the time its contractual obligation to play there expires.

Hoping to land the project in Virginia, Saslaw and a powerful Republican, House Appropriations Chairman Barry D. Knight (Virginia Beach), introduced bills early this year to create a stadium authority to oversee construction and financing of the project. As originally proposed, the bills would have allowed the team to collect a share of state tax revenue generated by the stadium and the more expansive commercial development to finance construction of the stadium, originally of as much as $1 billion.

Negotiators worked since then to further limit the state contribution, capping it at less than $300 million and allowing the team a share of revenue generated only from the stadium, not the broader “mini city.” But at the same time, controversies grew around the team and Snyder, who has been accused of sexual misconduct and financial improprieties, allegations he denies.

At least two state legislators, Sen. Scott A. Surovell (D-Fairfax), whose district includes the area in Prince William that had emerged as a potential location, and Sen. Jeremy McPike (D-Prince William), announced on Twitter on Wednesday that the remarks by Del Rio were, for them, the last straw.

Saslaw said he still holds out hope that the project could be revived once various issues surrounding the team are resolved, noting that negotiators from the Virginia House and Senate had worked in recent months to make the stadium legislation more financially advantageous for the state. In the most recent form of the legislation, Saslaw said no taxpayer money would go toward the stadium “unless you were a player or coach on the team or bought something from a concession stand at one of their home games.”

Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin (R), who has expressed support for the project, declined to comment Thursday through a spokeswoman.

Meanwhile, the possibility of the Commanders playing in the District appeared to dim further Thursday. Seven members of the D.C. Council, led by Charles Allen (D-Ward 6), stated firmly in a letter to Del. Eleanor Holmes Norton (D) that a majority of the 13-member legislative body supports a proposed bill in Congress that would allow the city to purchase and develop the land around RFK Stadium, but they said a stadium for the Commanders at the site is a nonstarter.

“We all hope that the Washington Commanders can address its ownership’s many off-the-field failures, in particular its failure to provide a safe working environment for women,” the letter said. “However, we believe that this riverfront property, one of the last large undeveloped parcels of land in the District, must be utilized in the best interest of D.C. residents.” In a tweet, Allen added, “we will not support an NFL stadium as part of the future of the RFK campus. The debate is done.”

The developments leave the Maryland option with the most consolidated political support. At a news conference Thursday, Gov. Larry Hogan (R) said he was not surprised by the news that the Virginia legislation was dead and said state leaders believed the Commanders would stay in Maryland. “After that action in Virginia, there’s no other potential place for them to go but to stay in Maryland, and we assume that they we will,” he said. “But we haven’t had any conversations since Virginia rejected the idea.”

Maryland leaders have emphasized they are investing in the area around FedEx Field whether the team stays or goes. “You got to hear me on this. These projects do not depend on the Washington Commanders,” Prince George’s County Executive Angela Alsobrooks (D) said to laughs and applause Tuesday during an annual economic development address where she outlined other projects near the stadium site. “Let me be clear, we believe that they belong here,” she said. “But we’re working on planning a new cultural center and library, a sports field house, a market hall and civic plaza.”

Maryland lawmakers already authorized $400 million in bonds for the Metro’s Blue Line corridor that includes the current stadium site. The money would go to demolishing the existing stadium and building amenities around it, not a stadium. Snyder already owns more than 200 acres of land inside the corridor, a stretch of five miles along the Blue Line, from the District boundary at Capitol Heights to Largo Town Center, east of FedEx Field.

County leaders have made funneling cash to the corridor a top economic development goal. Their pitch to the team last year proposed the new stadium could anchor a new sports-entertainment development that the public could help finance. While that $400 million deal approved by the state this spring does not include any cash to build the stadium, it also might not be the end of incentives offered to the team.

Alsobrooks and county government have not made a public incentive offer, though their confidential pitch to the team said such incentives were on the table. Del. Jazz Lewis (D-Prince George’s) has said he hoped the $400 million would be “the beginning of the conversation” about what Maryland could offer if the team commits to staying.

I still think it ends up in VA. 1) Even if state doesn’t give them money it does not mean that either Loudon county or PW county won’t give them money. 2) listening to Standigs podcast last week and guest said majority of teams fans 1.6 million vs 1.1 million (md) live in VA 3) same guest said he believes PW really wants the team as the team/city plans would go a long way towards developing the area ala Loudon county. 4) MD and PG plan does not include retail, restaurants etc around the stadium as outlined in the article @Skinsinparadiseposted above. 5) Dan is going to be pissed that MD committed 1.2 billion to the Ravens/orioles while not giving him a dime. Va is very much still in the running 

2 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

That would mean months more of this whack-a-mole at least right? They wont move forward on VA until that council makes another choice.

Gotta mentally brace myself for that...

Not necessarily. From the sounds of that article it sounds like there are already active conversations at the very least with Loudon County. And it already sounds like Loudon is actively working with the team right now. just taking an educated guess that PW is as well since the team already has the land option there. And again even if the state isn’t willing to give the team money it doesn’t mean either one of the counties in VA can’t or won’t. And from what I understood from the guest on Standigs podcast PW really wants the stadium there for development purposes. He also said he thinks MD maybe shooting themselves in the foot a bit (paraphrasing). Basically he said something to the effect of all the development that PG wants to do takes a serious blow if they lose the team despite what the county and governor say. Said that it will be really a big blow to the development of that area if they lose an anchor tenant which the team is even with everything going on with them right now 

Politicians don’t give a crap about Snyder and work place environment.They have more BS in there own house?If it wasn’t election year he would he would have more votes.It doesn’t matter what Snyder try’s to do for the team to make it better they’ll still vote no.We all know Politcians are for the people.🤦‍♂️

• Thumb down 2

1 hour ago, Coopskin44 said:

Politicians don’t give a crap about Snyder and work place environment.They have more BS in there own house?If it wasn’t election year he would he would have more votes.It doesn’t matter what Snyder try’s to do for the team to make it better they’ll still vote no.We all know Politcians are for the people.🤦‍♂️

hey just as an aside what has Snyder tried to do for the team to make it better, in your view 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

It actually isn't an election year for the Virgina House or State Senate, the Virginia state elections are during the odd years.

So actually next year if the Viriginia state government takes it on THEN it will be during an election year.

But to that point, no doubt Dan being toxic is part of the narrative and yes the politics of it is Dan being unpopular with their consitituents no doubt is relevant. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/06/09/virginia-commanders-stadium-bill-dc/

RICHMOND — The state legislator who has led the charge to lure the Washington Commanders to Virginia gave up the fight Thursday, saying the latest controversy surrounding the team has proved too much to overcome, a substantial setback for the team in its search for a new location for its stadium.

...“This obviously was not very helpful, to put it mildly, but there’s so many other things out there,” Saslaw said, referring to investigations into allegations of sexual harassment and financial mismanagement by the team and its owner Daniel Snyder. “There were just so many things out there that a lot of people are saying, ‘Saslaw, this thing needs to wait.’”

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Mrshadow008 said:

Not necessarily. From the sounds of that article it sounds like there are already active conversations at the very least with Loudon County. And it already sounds like Loudon is actively working with the team right now. just taking an educated guess that PW is as well since the team already has the land option there. And again even if the state isn’t willing to give the team money it doesn’t mean either one of the counties in VA can’t or won’t. And from what I understood from the guest on Standigs podcast PW really wants the stadium there for development purposes. He also said he thinks MD maybe shooting themselves in the foot a bit (paraphrasing). Basically he said something to the effect of all the development that PG wants to do takes a serious blow if they lose the team despite what the county and governor say. Said that it will be really a big blow to the development of that area if they lose an anchor tenant which the team is even with everything going on with them right now 

Thinking about it, its looming I gather with two most likely options

A.  Landover.  The thing that pops in some articles here and there is its possible Landover would add something beyond saying they would do their own development around the stadium -- to grease the wheels if this team is seriously considering it.

B.  Loudon County.  According to some insider types they think this is Dan preferred destination.  And if he has to finance it himself via loans so be it. 

I'd guess Woodbridge is the darkhorse third option.

Virginia bumping their offer down to 300 million before they pulled the deal -- you figure the money isn't that hot anyway where maybe they pursue it without that help.   The one thing is I'd bet the NFL sees this as a blackeye to the league because clearly they want to have owners who can get some government help to finance stadiums.   Look at what Buffalo just pulled off as an example.  

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2022/06/09/virginia-commanders-stadium-bill-dc/

Despite the lack of legislation, the team and Loudoun County will continue to pursue a purchase option agreement at Waterside, a planned development of shops and offices that is now Loudoun Quarries, according to two people with knowledge of the situation who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss ongoing business negotiations. The Commanders have a similar agreement in Woodbridge, Va.

“The legislation is just one piece of this puzzle,” Buddy Rizer, the executive director for economic development in Loudoun County, said in a statement. “We’re committed to continuing our work with the team on the local pieces of this project to see if there is an opportunity to bring this vision to reality in Loudoun County.”

• Like 1

8 hours ago, skinzplay said:

The only way he gets a new stadium is if he pays for it himself (which he cannot do), or if some locality lures him with the offer of funding. He won't get any stadium money from DC, VA or MD. Nary a nickel. The jig is up.

Well, he can pay for the stadium himself if he wants to.  Or, he could get a developer to partner with him to build it.

Actually, in a strange world, I wonder if the Lerners would be willing to partner with Snyder on the stadium and surrounding area. They are real estate developers.  They know things.  They developed the area around Nats park.  They are looking to get out of the Nationals.  

Maybe?  (Probably not.)  But maybe?