Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Heinicke Hive: The LEGEND of Taylor Heinicke Thread

LetThePointsSoar
Message added by TK,

image.png.76d3d6bba631c4c9e8442f26a9c9afc4.png

3 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Yea, I see him getting bench either this week or next.  Broncos looks very beatable, so if he struggles badly, we might not have a choice, we need wins where we can get them.

The Hive is dead.

Broncos stink, but could easily beat us.  Interesting enough, the comp I gave Heineke a while ago was Keenum and he squeaked a win out of there last night in the strength of the running game.  Not so sure we’ll be able to do the same.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome

7 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Broncos stink, but could easily beat us.  Interesting enough, the comp I gave Heineke a while ago was Keenum and he squeaked a win out of there last night in the strength of the running game.  Not so sure we’ll be able to do the same.

I disagree, I had that game on last night, that offense couldn't fight its way out a paper bag.  Its reasonable both of us only get in the 20s in points if we suprise them with Allen. 

I'm not as down on Gibson as some of the rest of yall are, Browns did that without Chubb or Hunt, so im seeing that defense as likely overrated based on who they played, that team is regressing.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

Yeah and I think most teams will follow this blueprint. Try to keep Heinicke in the pocket, bring pressure, and sit on the short to intermediate stuff. This is one of the problems with having a guy with a below average arm. The less dimensions a QB has to his game, the easier it can be to game plan against him.

I'm also a bit worried that Rivera's "goading" (for lack of a better term) could potentially push Heinicke back into reckless territory. If he thinks Allen might be breathing down his neck or that Fitz will get the nod again once he's healthy unless Heinicke ups his game, he might decide that he needs to go all out and could get hurt. 

Yeah, part of me would rather RR just keep his comments vanilla, part of me thinks it probably doesn’t matter much at all what he says to the media.

As to how defenses are playing him, I completely agree.  On the other hand, knowing how defenses will play your qb can open up possibilities (in theory).  The td to RSJ for example - everyone is looking to jump the short stuff and that can be taken advantage of.  In hindsight, I found it funny that both guys on that side were wide open.  I think using Terry as a decoy - drawing the safety with him - could be taken advantage of as well.

45 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Heinicke has to play aggressively to look good.   Wilson and Murray run around and still protect themselves typically.  I think Heinicke needs to avoid what he and RG3 seem to have in common which is that they are OK with contact from defenders.   I know easier than done but I think somehow he needs to manage that to be successful. 

Funny I am listening to Travis on 980 just now twisting Scott Turner's words to make the case that they are handcuffing Heinicke.  Ridiculous.  But it comes with the turf during a losing streak, the coaches are apes, holding back everyone. :ols:  He took a segment where Turner talked about some of Heinicke's decision making on Ints as proof that they are holding him back.

Heinicke's interceptions and him getting out of the pocket are two different subjects.  I don't think they want Heinicke aggressively throwing into coverage across his body and some of the more reckless throws he's made.  But that's a different subject versus escaping the pocket.

On another note, I didn't listen to the full segment but heard enough to hear that Cooley sees Heinicke as Colt McCoy. 

No idea if Turner could do better (in terms of working with Heinicke), but I can’t agree at all that he’s holding Taylor back.  

I think comparing him to Colt is pretty fair, though I think Heincke has maybe a bit more poise (in the pocket and scrambling), and maybe a touch more grit and athleticism. 

On 10/20/2021 at 10:28 AM, mistertim said:

Sure, from a theoretical or motivational quote perspective. But with potentially years of making at minimum a million dollars in each on the line, the thought of preservation is going to be there as well. Especially if you're a guy who's had injury issues in the past.

As it is now, unless he really plays horribly down the stretch, Heinicke is at least an ok backup for most teams if he can stay healthy. If he gets injured he's probably immediately off of the radar.

I think Heinicke does want to play well and he is a gamer, but remember he's also an engineering/math guy, so there's likely to be some logical calculation that goes into it as well.

I don't believe a single thing you're saying is actually going on but if he is, I wouldn't want him as my qb. This whole notion that he isn't playing his hardest because he might get hurt is ridiculous. 

1 minute ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I don't believe a single thing you're saying is actually going on but if he is, I wouldn't want him as my qb. This whole notion that he isn't playing his hardest because he might get hurt is ridiculous. 

I don’t think the point was that TH isn’t playing his hardest.  It’s about him playing different.  A different style that’s not working for him.

28 minutes ago, GOATFrerotte said:

I never said he wasn't playing hard. A QB can be more cautious about throwing his body around while still playing hard. 

I do think he's probably playing with more caution because he's mindful about getting hurt. And I honestly wouldn't blame him for that. Unfortunately the problem for him is that his ability to scramble and make plays with his legs is what makes him a viable NFL QB. He doesn't have the arm or pocket accuracy to be a more traditional pocket passer.

I think he really needs to find a middle ground where he's making plays with his legs, but still being smart about when to do it and how many yards he can gain without taking a big hit.

Edited by mistertim

On 10/20/2021 at 7:49 PM, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Has a player ever cooled off so quickly from a fan support perspective?

Just a few weeks ago several of us were accused of making up reasons to not like Heineke, calling us haters, and so on.  All because we wanted to see some more.  Folks were talking about his next contract and whether he would take a hometown discount for 10 million apy.

Two weeks later and it’s crickets in here.

The NFL is wild.

Welcome to the Dan fan base. We have lost staff to a DEA raid, we sexually harassed and our ex-president sent terrible emails.

Our second overall pick from last year is approaching bust status, our first round pick from this year cant get on the field even though he is playing behind LBs that wouldnt be playing on many other teams. The right side of the line is out, the TE is out, the high priced FA WR is out, WR1 is banged up, the starting RB has a fumbling issue but Heiny is suppose to lead us to the promise land.

IMO our record would be the same with all but maybe 4 or 5 QBs that play in the league and even then it would be a win or so.

The sad part is Hieny and Scott Turner got stuck here ruining their shot.

Edited by ODUWFT

2 minutes ago, Brixtion_skin said:

I am reasonably happy with TH.  I would agree that he is not the long term answer, but considering what we have THIS year in terms of QB options,  he will do.  We have other problems.  On & off the field.

About where I am.  I'm not interested in seeing Kyle Allen at all.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

when i see this thread title these days it mainly registers with me as a historically premature assignment of the term 'legend' to an athlete

which is obviously not th's fault :P

and we're still all pulling for ya today, th, no matter when the next guy takes the role :815:

• Haha 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm not saying he's good, but yall killed this man the moment you started this blasphemous thread.

Curse you

1 minute ago, mistertim said:

Heinicke made some really good plays today, especially with his legs, but he had some big mistakes, and when he made them they were in the worst places. Going down before the goal line and the INT in the end zone were both killers.

He is a perfect melding of Playoff Tony Romo, and Chad Pennington after he lost his arm to that roadside bomb.

Heinicke is who he is and that is a backup QB who can make some plays, but that's it.  When things break down, he'll use his mobility, but otherwise he'll check things down.  If the OL can't block for him he's going down for sure.  The TD that he should've had at the goal line was inexcusable.  Bad coaching and execution.  He can't cost his team points like that.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

I'm not saying he's good, but yall killed this man the moment you started this blasphemous thread.

Curse you

After the ATL game, dudes were talking about putting a 3yr 30 million deal in front of him.

It gets better…

To avoid a “Cousins-like situation” in the future.

Some other guys were talking about how they see him as the type of guy to take a hometown discount for about $20 million per.

That was like 3 weeks ago.  Phew.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1